• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - Review Thread

Wow, look at the fingers.

FFXII-Comp-010-PS2-570x380.png

FFXII-Comp-010-PS4-570x321.png

FFXIIComparison-747x309.jpg

Source: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/07/10/final-fantasy-xii-face-off-ps4-vs-ps2/264672/

Amazing upgrade, well done SE.

Lego hands were one of my pet peevs in the PS2 era. Very nice.

still the last great final fantasy. period. :) ...

SP FF maybe, but ARR/HW/SB are great entries into the series.

XII has been the last title in the series that is in my Top X of all time though, for sure. Found it engrossing upon release and cannot wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow.

I want to take this journey to Ivalice for the first time so badly, but my backlog is so overwhelming right now... And I really want to play Yakuzo 0. I'm drowning, fam.
Play yakuza 0 first. It's not that long the main story that is. I think I clocked in 32 hours and I barely did sidequests. The main story was just so much fun. I imagine FF12 is really long so save it for later.

tonypark

After finishing persona 5 i dont think i can put another 100 hours in a game. How long is this one if you dont do any side content?

After finishing persona 5 i dont think i can put another 100 hours in a game. How long is this one if you dont do any side content?

I'd say it's one of, if not the longest FF games if you just kind of play it as-is. I've never tried doing literally just the story stuff, but I imagine you'd be looking at 30-ish hours.

Spinluck

I tought this game was bad?

I've been reading GAF about this game at the last two weeks and everyone agreed that this game was pretty bad but now, looking at reviews It doesn't seem like that.

I didn't played the game yet so I honestly don't know what to think, anymore.

You thought wrong.

I'm going to spend so much time programming my teammates to act like.. Well like human beings. You will be the ultimate teammates.

God if there is any "if enemy is boss then y" and "if enemy is mob then x"

Getting all kind of chubs in here Oooh baby

I'm going to spend so much time programming my teammates to act like.. Well like human beings. You will be the ultimate teammates.

God if there is any "if enemy is boss then y" and "if enemy is mob then x"

Getting all kind of chubs in here Oooh baby

You have tons of options. A good example is the XP loop setup that only targetted summoned mobs but not the summoner itself. There's obviously tons more options.

Is this getting better reviews than it did back on PS2? Is XII finally getting the recognition it deserves?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Is this getting better reviews than it did back on PS2? Is XII finally getting the recognition it deserves?
It has always been critically acclaimed, PS2 Metascore is 92.
Still too low :D

Geez, I forgot about how hands rendered on the PS2 looked like oven mitts.

And are there any plans for VII, VIII, and IX being ported to the PS4 via their PSN?

Played this back when it first released, enjoyed it, but I put it down once I was in some crazy forest area, it felt like it was deep in the game, can't remember why I stopped, but I'm looking forward to diving in again.

Can't wait. I played it for several days when it came out and somehow my save file got messed up and didn't want to start over. Time to go back.

BibiMaghoo

This was the first FF game I never finished. Partly because it was so different from those that came before it, but mostly because after putting in 20 or 30 hours, the PS3 launched and as I had no means to move my save, I moved on to new games.

I look forward to having another shot, but maybe not at £40...

jimmypython

Tbh I quite like the fact that hunts don't have map markers, the game could certainly be clearer on the conditions to spawn a few of them though

yep, it is supposed to be part of the gameplay. it's like complaining why souls games don't have quest markers and a mini map.

Is the game longer than FF15? I put 130 hrs into that for the 1000/1000

The main story is around 40 hours, the side missions, the Hunts, exploring the optional areas, beating the optional bosses and unlocking all abilities/weapons/everything back on the PS2 took me well over 100 hours.

TriAceJP

I hope people give this game a serious chance this time around.

Easily my favourite Final Fantasy. If the sales are good, Square may make a spiritual successor developed by Matsuno/Ito. Well, that's my dream anyway.

(Team Ashe, Balthier, Fran fo lyf)

What, you mean a completely acceptable pronunciation?

Let it go.

Yeah this was always a weird nitpick.

Great scores for a great remaster of a great game. I hope people give this game the chance it deserved way back when.

Yep! They did this for the PS4 and PC versions of X/X-2 HD as well. Made quite a bit of difference in some scenes:

I like how Rikku high res model in the back has fingers and the front guy in the camera doesn't haha.
Its kinda funny that it has better scores than the actual last FF game released

Because it's a vastly better Final Fantasy, RPG, and game.

Z..

I seriously thought this was gonna be a PS2 classic release and am now in serious shock over the price. Will definitely get it whenever it gets severely discounted.

Wow. They actually remastered this well. This looks VERY good compared to what I remember on PS2. The models are a bit lower poly than I'm used to, but the style succeeds really well with sharper/clearer views of the scenery.

After FFIII I wasn't sure I could ever trust Squeenix's remasters

MogCakes

I seriously thought this was gonna be a PS2 classic release and am now in serious shock over the price. Will definitely get it whenever it gets severely discounted.
Because it's a remaster with new features, not just a re-release.

Jason's turn:
This second time around, Final Fantasy XII has surprised me. I can credit some of my improved regard for the game to this remastered version’s visual polish and convenient fast-forward button. I credit more of it to the game’s innate quality. It holds up. It works well. It functions like no Final Fantasy before it or since. And it is interesting in its world and its characters. That’s why, while blazing through the deserts of Dalmasca with my party set up to automatically annihilate any enemy in sight, I’m still having such a good time.

He still likes it~

Top Bottom