• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 First screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is the follow-up to the 2010 hit title, FINAL FANTASY XIII, and the latest installment in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series, which has shipped over 97 million units worldwide. FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 features an all-star production staff including producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Motomu Toriyama, character designer Tetsuya Nomura and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo.

I do not see Hamauzu on this 'all-star' production.

THERE IS NO HAMAUZU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(((

Angry Fork

Hope Fang or Vanille come back somehow, fuck Serah, worst "character" ever. I hope I don't absolutely have to play as her. If this is just as long as FF13 then i'm definitely getting it, hopefully it feels like a sequel and not an expansion. Also the villains need to be awesome this time around or else i'll rage, just give them some passion/character, give them a reason to be villains other than because they say they are.

RPGCrazied

Didn't they say the old cast wasn't playable, just cameos? I'm sure Lightning is. So 3 so far? I wonder who the other 3 will be.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TheOddOne said:
Was this on the leaked MS page? I remember people talking about it, but it disappeared fast.

Well, Microsoft must be smart enough to put a screenshot having a non-exisiting Xbox 360 button! :p

I believe they just leaked a tiny summary of the game though.

Hoping this one's more open (actual exploration!!) and has a better system for powering your characters up than the fairly barebones Crystarium/weapon-leveling from FF13.

Less boring/shitty summons would be nice too.

The overall battle system can honestly be kept the same with maybe a few new abilities added to it - the main tweak I'd want, if anything, is the ability to change which character I'm controlling mid-battle.

DMeisterJ

Banned
YuriLowell said:
oh boy I cant wait to hit x for another 100 hours.

throw in some shifts for good measure.

Any game is mostly going to be pressing one button for the most of the game. In RPG's it's x, and in shooters it's a trigger, you could simplify any game that way.

--

Screens look nice, and I'm glad the battle system is unchanged. Ready for this game to come out!

Edit

Serah <3

Hopefully that idiot Hope will be no where seen in the game.

Felt real good not bothering to level him up completely in XIII B^)

Dat screen, I assume more at e3?

faridmon

I really really hate FF XIII UI. for some reason it reminds me a lot of Star Ocean games which were avarge to rubbish.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
All people should want or need here is the Pulse section style of play only with towns and an less insipid cast and story. Expecting anything else is asking to be disappointed. Even this may be expecting too much. If you didn't like the XIII visual aesthetics, why do you even care about this, the direct sequel?

Gilgamesh

The battle system was the best part of the first game. Probably my favorite in the whole series. I was never a big fan of the job system, but being able to change on the fly really sold it to me. Added a lot of dynamic. I should play FFX-2. I know the dresspheres can be changed during battle too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
sponk said:
i know, and its now a good thing (at least for me).

There was something in me, foolish enough to believe that square learned its lesson with ff13-2 to stop the downfall of the franchise.
Except XIII's battle system was awesome.

Of all the many many flaws and problems XIII had, the battle system wasn't one of them.

Tizoc

Aquavelvaman said:
For some reason I expected them to change the battle system
I was thinking something similiar =( At the very least, the AI is smarter this time around; USE ESUNA THEN HEAL ME YOU STUPID BUNDLE OF CODES!
Still I rather like the look of the new interface, and playable Serah sounds interesting...but what happened to Snow? Is he going to be playable?

hamchan

JudgeN said:
Isn't this pretty much any RPG? Hit X, alilttle up/down, and more X's.

I liked the combat it just need some gambits, leader switching ability, and alot more towns/open areas. Then we will have a pretty good FF IMO.

I think the problem is more about pressing X 100 times without having to think much.

dramatis said:
And you misspelled "Vanille".
Vanille is the deepest character this franchise has ever had, her character arc probably just flew way over your head or you never got beyond her faux ditzy phase in the storyline.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gilgamesh said:
The battle system was the best part of the first game. Probably my favorite in the whole series. I was never a big fan of the job system, but being able to change on the fly really sold it to me. Added a lot of dynamic. I should play FFX-2. I know the dresspheres can be changed during battle too.
I found the pacing of XIII's battle system to wind up being the same across most battles. Really was kind of a drag after awhile.

Not really sure what to think of these screens other than that the guy in the first shot looks like some kind of man-Yuna.

scy

Seeing as I actually enjoyed FFXIII, looks alright to me ... barring the absolute lack of anything really interesting going on sans playable Serah.

hamchan said:
I think the problem is more about pressing X 100 times without having to think much.

I'll be damned if I don't mash X/A/etc. in basically any jRPG though.

miladesn said:
Looks like there is no chain/stagger bar to fill anymore.
Nicely spotted. However, this could very well be because that's the opening sequence of the game and the Stagger mechanic hasn't been (re)introduced yet.

Angry Fork

Emonga said:
You misspelled "Hope"
Hope was annoying/dumb as shit but at least I felt emotion when it came to him, even if it was negative. Serah you feel absolutely nothing though, I don't care about her what so ever and have no clue who she is as a person. She's like an animated barbie doll or something. Normally I wouldn't mind this and can ignore it but like half the reason for playing the game apparently was to help Serah and get her out of the Cryo thing. Seeing Snow and her fly around some fireworks won't make me care for her safety.

jjasper

MetatronM said:
Except XIII's battle system was awesome.

Of all the many many flaws and problems XIII had, the battle system wasn't one of them.

The battle system definitely had flaws however most of which could be easily fixed without a complete overhaul.

dakkumauji said:
Woo, same old battle system.

Wonder where Serah learned how to fight.

She and Snow had a baby, she became a mom, and somehow magically became tough.

I hope they pull a MGS4-Raiden with Hope and make him the most badass character in the game. The blood he has spilled has stained his milky-white skin!

I will laugh at all Hope haters! My laughter will be heard for 1000 years.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
miladesn said:
Looks like there is no chain/stagger bar to fill anymore.

There's a three sectioned bar at the top though....maybe thats for overdrive moves though. I beat FFXIII about this time last year and hadn't touched since so there's alot I don't remember.

Gilgamesh

Dance In My Blood said:
I found the pacing of XIII's battle system to wind up being the same across most battles. Really was kind of a drag after awhile.
True, you fell into certain strategies for each enemy encounter, but the game usually changed me to a new area or new characters before I got too bored of it.

notworksafe

dakkumauji said:
Woo, same old battle system.

Wonder where Serah learned how to fight.
From her hero, one assumes. Heroes don't run from fights after all.

Also hero hero hero hero hero hero hero hero.

Chocoboko

Unlike everyone else in the known universe I actually really enjoyed FF13. I can't wait to play this. Hopefully they have the time to come up with some new locations/content so you aren't playing through the exact same locations as the original.

ultron87

My hope for this game is that they integrate main story stuff and side quests a little more gracefully than:

X hours of mainline story with no possible sidetracking -> here's this giant open world where you can do all the boring "kill this monster" quests you'd ever want -> back to the story!

Skilletor

hamchan said:

So, almost every FF game then, since the majority or not known for the difficulty?

It's a stupid over generalization which could be applied to most games in the genre. It's something somebody will say when they don't have any specific complaint, and just want to bitch about a game.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
truly101 said:
That doesn't really make any sense.
I was hoping for a completely new battle system, which youre right, makes no sense since this is a direct sequel. Ah well, Im still hyped for Versus.

Orayn

The presence of auto-battle was one of the worst things about FFXIII and it's still there? Goddammit, Square. I really hope there's some way to disable it entirely.

desu

So these are the leftovers they were talking about when they said they literaly made 2 games with 13. Noel is the female Fang we never saw. And the environment looks like stuff thats straight out of 13. Hopefully battle system will have more options!

cj_iwakura

Emonga said:
Vanille is the deepest character this franchise has ever had, her character arc probably just flew way over your head or you never got beyond her faux ditzy phase in the storyline.

I still wanted to slap her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom