• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rataven said:
I may have missed this, but do we actually get to control both of our party members in battle, at the same time? Because that would be cool.

Nope. They're using the party leader system again.

Beth Cyra

gundamkyoukai said:
So the game is split in to 2 story arcs ???
God they could not even make a good story in FFXIII now they doing this .
Man the more i hear about this game the less i am liking it.

Same here but man X-2 battle system was so good it did not matter .

Well I love XIII's system just as much as X-2's, now the QTE's kinda worry about how they are changing it over in XIII-2.

Famassu

I'd be surprised if you don't get more than Serah and Noel during the whole game. It seems more like we've just scratched the surface and we've been shown stuff from the first 5-8 hours of the game (with some single cryptic scenes that don't show/explain much without context perhaps from the latter part). That probably leaves another 30-35 hours for more characters to show up.

Or not. Would just be weird, especially with the Hope-hint at the end of the recent trailer. Not sure if I'd like to have the old characters (and new) as just temporary guest characters.

So the game is split in to 2 of story arc ???
Lightning & Serah are not together in the beginning, so it's two storylines taking place at different places, yeah, but of course they are not two completely separate storylines. At times you'll control Lightning and whoever she might have with her, though most of the time seems to be spent with Noel & Serah.

She says "Please no... help me, Lightning!"
Ah, so she does... Don't know why I heard it as "Help me Snow."

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Fimbulvetr said:
Yeah, either he retained some power or he upgraded his boomerang a lot in 5 years. Though the latter brings up the question of just why Hope would have such a thing in the first game.

When I first saw it in XIII I thought it was just a toy that he was really good at hitting things with. But apparently it's a legitimate weapon choice.

Well in FFXIII's world preview book they mentioned that Hope's boomerang is a type that is used in a popular extreme sports in Cocoon.

Despite some reservations, I'll probably still put 60+ hours on this like I did for XIII.
Thanks goodness this one is on the short localization cycle. If it were 3+ months difference, I probably would have imported.

Negaiido

I haven't really followed all the news about FFXIII-2 but that guy sometimes reminds me of Yuna. I mean with his hair and all.

entrydenied said:
Well in FFXIII's world preview book they mentioned that Hope's boomerang is a type that is used in a popular extreme sports in Cocoon.

Which makes it perfect for killing magical creatures, I guess.

Seriously, what's with SE and having sports equipment be some of the best weaponry around?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Famassu said:
A baseball bat is a pretty efficient weapon.

Just sayin'.
Different types of bats make sense, though. They are essentially clubs, and those things can hit hard.

Especially a Nail Bat.

h1AuJ.jpg

That trailer just made my hype increase tenfold. The battles look like they are going to be a lot of fun, and very intense. The QTE stuff and captured monsters in battle are a welcome addition as well.

Now I wonder who the sinister looking guy at the end is? A villain? As someone who actually enjoyed XIIIs story, I can't wait to see what exactly is going on. Also hoping the game takes some very dark turns depending on your choices in the story.

RPGCrazied

Finally watched it, been stressing over my Xenoblade game getting to me. Nice music, finally get to see the man from the CGI movie, and is that Hope's arm? That has to be him by that boomerang.

Reveirg

Great trailer, I'm getting more and more hyped about this game. I'll probably make a second playthrough of FFXIII after Xenoblade. I'm one of those who loved XIII for its incredible visuals and music, great battle system and fascinating universe.

I'm not convinced about the music so far though, it's nice, but not as nice as Hamauzu's first input we heard back in the days. I'm eager to hear more though.

But as many people have said before... ugh... not a fan of monster capturing, unless they handle it VERY well... as in : they act more as summons that you keep and can level up. They could even have on-map abilities that are needed for sidequests, etc.

Ratrat

Haven't been following this at all but please tell me you'll be controlling more than 2 characters for the majority of the game. I absolutely hated when they forced you to play with just 2 characters in ff13.

Ratrat said:
I absolutely hated when they forced you to play with just 2 characters in ff13.

Actually people are complaining about the third slot being taken up by monsters, rather than the complete lack of 3 party members.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ratrat said:
Haven't been following this at all but please tell me you'll be controlling more than 2 characters for the majority of the game. I absolutely hated when they forced you to play with just 2 characters in ff13.

2 characters + monster and possible guest character.

Looks great, although more of the same artistic aesthetic. Still want more Lightning though.

Also, I hope we see more environments soon, cuz all theyve shown has been ruins and seaside fields.

SpaceBridge said:
Looks great, although more of the same artistic aesthetic. Still want more Lightning though.

Also, I hope we see more environments soon, cuz all theyve shown has been ruins and seaside fields.

Pretty sure one part of the trailer implies a jungle, around 2:35.

The part where Noel is all angsty about "WAAAAAAAAH HUMANS ARE WEAK AND DIE EASILY! ;_;".

I can't wait for him to learn the true strength of humanity or whatevs jrpg cliche the game rolls with.

Kagari said:
2 characters + monster and possible guest character.
Fimbulvetr said:
Actually people are complaining about the third slot being taken up by monsters, rather than the complete lack of 3 party members.
Stupid silly monster's slot..... I HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!!

I wish we get a new 3rd Character......

or at very less a guest character for each chapter.

but I want a 3rd playable character....

I love the fact that FFX-2 only had 3.... and for Wild arms 1 - 3 - 4 to have only 3 and 4 playable characters, make us forces more on them and doesn't feels turned apart by picking and choosing between them.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Zoe said:
You don't really say "sister" (or "brother") in English like you do in Japanese.

Yeah, it was a joke :p
She could say "sis'" I guess, but it's not my language so I really don't know how that will sounds.

Seda said:

Now that's curious. I guess it was not TGS trailer afterall...

The Praiseworthy said:
but I want a 3rd playable character....

I don't want a 3rd character... I just want Serah out of the party, lol

Riposte

I can't relate to the hate for the monster slot really. It is a third party member, but it looks like a monster, and you'll probably have a wider choice overall.

Speaking of which I remember seeing a screenshot that implied you would be able to switch out monsters in battle(out of 3). Maybe it was a fever dream, but if they do it like that that makes me happy. A new take on shifting.

Riposte said:
I can't relate to the hate for the monster slot really. It is a third party member, but it looks like a monster, and you'll probably have a wider choice overall.

Speaking of which I remember seeing a screenshot that implied you would be able to switch out monsters in battle(out of 3). Maybe it was a fever dream, but if they do it like that that makes me happy. A new take on shifting.

I feel the same way. If anything it will add a lot of variety to what you can do in battle. Hopefully there will be some really rare monsters to acquire as well.

Anyway I think one of my main interests in this game is finding out what the hell happened during the War of Transgression, and Grand Pulse in general. I read most of the analects, but it still perplexes me in some ways.

Riposte said:

Each monster can only represent a single Role, so when you switch paradigms the monster will change(or stick around) depending on what the third roll in the paradigm is.

For example: Behemoths can apparently only be used as Commandos, while Flans are Ravagers.

GrumpyAlien said:
read most of the analects, but it still perplexes me in some ways.

How so?

Droplet

So...the official site has been updated with a crappy design and this

Three years after the events in FINAL FANTASY XIII, Lightning has gone missing, and Snow is nowhere to be found. In a rebuilding world, Serah notices that something is amiss. After a fortuitous encounter with a mysterious man named Noel, the two set off to find Lightning.

but looking back at the demo it says

5.png

That says five, right? Is that a mistranslation? Am I blind?

Top Bottom