• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgcg

Good lord, it's just not the resolution alone that makes the difference. Bitrate is much more importance. Higher bitrate requires more storage space. Lesser space leads to more compression.

Everyone's still blowing things out of proportion over a couple grainy pictures I see. Guess I'll come back to the thread when this is forgotten and common sense is back into the thread.

Synless

Arpharmd B said:
Well, technical stuff aside, the point I'm trying to make is it looked really good (in BD and LO's case at least), and I'm more than satisfied with it. I won't settle for significantly worse performance, resolution, textures etc. in the game, however.

"Still playable" is not acceptable for the greatest action game of all time. If I didn't already have a 360 I'd have gotten one for Bayonetta. Likewise if Final Fantasy XIII is as bad a port as Bayonetta was, I will not hesitate to buy a PS3.
There is no way possible that FFXIII will be as bad on 360 as Bayonetta was on PS3. I refuse to believe that's even possible.

fernoca

Though it seems that with all this Sqaure fucking things with the Xbox 360 version....this confirms the game being released in a eco-friendly-3 discs stacked on each other-case.. :lol ..might as well throw a black and white instruction booklet too.

Also the problems with Bayonetta were not related to compressed movie. Some was because of the muddy textures, the rest was because of slowdown and framerate problems..and long loading times; which o na "fast action game" like it..have some effect ob the gameplay.

People with the japanese version of FFXIII (PS3) say that nearly at the end of the game; there's a part with some slowdown on it..

Arpharmd B said:
"Still playable" is not acceptable for the greatest action game of all time. If I didn't already have a 360 I'd have gotten one for Bayonetta. Likewise if Final Fantasy XIII is as bad a port as Bayonetta was, I will not hesitate to buy a PS3.
The thing is, FFXIII 360 won't be as bad as Bayonetta PS3 was. Even if the 360 version of FFXIII looks worse, I assume it would still run well. Unlike the PS3 version of Bayonetta.

Pooya

UE3 games all use bink from what I've seen, they different bitrates and as said before 2.2mbps won't cut it. They could have used other codecs and get better results if they really cared, like X.264 would result in far better quality with similar bitrate, but they went with easiest most accessible codec probably because of time constraint .

There is a good graph here for comparison between various codecs including bink.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Synless said:
There is no way possible that FFXIII will be as bad on 360 as Bayonetta was on PS3. I refuse to believe that's even possible.
In all reality, the game didn't look nearly as good as the 360 but it played fine. Now, there is no reason to even buy the PS3 if you have a 360 though. I refuse this would be as bad a port myself.

KingDizzi

Banned
No way will FFXIII on 360 be as bad as Bayonetta on PS3 simply because of the budget of both games. No doubt at all in my mind that FFXIII had a budget far larger than Bayonetta so would have had the resources to make a good port. Bayonetta on PS3 really was terrible, it's because the game got so much praise that I decided to rent it however really do feel sorry for anyone whom actually purchased the PS3 version.

That said I have no idea why anyone would choose the 360 version over the PS3 version if they have both consoles. Achievements are serious business I guess.

KingDizzi said:
No way will FFXIII on 360 be as bad as Bayonetta on PS3 simply because of the budget of both games. No doubt at all in my mind that FFXIII had a budget far larger than Bayonetta so would have had the resources to make a good port. Bayonetta on PS3 really was terrible, it's because the game got so much praise that I decided to rent it however really do feel sorry for anyone whom actually purchased the PS3 version.

That said I have no idea why anyone would choose the 360 version over the PS3 version if they have both consoles. Achievements are serious business I guess.

Or Pride.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
LiquidMetal14 said:
In all reality, the game didn't look nearly as good as the 360 but it played fine. Now, there is no reason to even buy the PS3 if you have a 360 though. I refuse this would be as bad a port myself.
While I agree that FFXIII will play fine on the 360, I don't think you should make that assessment for others of the necessity of another console. I honestly believed I would never buy a 360 until I tried out some Cave games, and found out they where only available on it. There might be some exclusives others enjoy that would justify their purchase.

Synless

InfiniteNine said:
While I agree that FFXIII will play fine on the 360, I don't think you should make that assessment for others of the necessity of another console. I honestly believed I would never buy a 360 until I tried out some Cave games, and found out they where only available on it. There might be some exclusives others enjoy that would justify their purchase.
I believe he was commenting on the poster who said he would buy a ps3 if the FFXIII port was as bad as Bayonetta. He was saying there is no need to buy one because the 360 version would be fine.

Firestorm

LiquidMetal14 said:
Nathan Drake the Second disagrees :)

KingDizzi said:
Leave achievements alone :(

Vamphuntr

jjasper said:
I don't know why anyone would be surprised if the 360 looks worse, it is probably being made by TOSE.

Pretty sure the main team is handling the 360 version. I don't think they would let TOSE handle their biggest next gen release yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well time to get the anticipation back on track! Who are you going to control most throughout the game once you get the choice? I'm going for Lightning since I find the rough females more charming for some reason. :lol

Synless

InfiniteNine said:
Well time to get the anticipation back on track! Who are you going to control most throughout the game once you get the choice? I'm going for Lightning since I find the rough females more charming for some reason. :lol
Fang.

Oli

InfiniteNine said:

Not sure at this point. Probably Lightning or Vanille, but I'll just wait and see.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kagari said:
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/95891/Final-Fantasy-XIII/

Old?

Don't think these are bullshots this time.

Edit: Some of them are from that set, but the first few seem new.
14ui442.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
I buy most my titles on the 360, but that's simply because most titles released as multiplats dont bother to take advantage of the extra space the blu ray has, so the games end of having the same detail levels with typically better performance on the 360.

But for FF 13, im definitely getting the ps3 version. To me, 3 dvd set seems incredibly low for the amount of data that is probably on the 50 gb ps3 version.

I want my 1080p videos and better textures. Plus, no disc changing.

fernoca

~Kinggi~ said:
But for FF 13, im definitely getting the ps3 version. To me, 3 dvd set seems incredibly low for the amount of data that is probably on the 50 gb ps3 version.

I want my 1080p videos and better textures. Plus, no disc changing.

Well, aside that Nowgamer site which compared both games..in their mind, and the IGN comparison that wasn't side by side,but just on eyesight..inside a bus, there's no confirmation that the Xbox 360 version has indeed lower-res textures.

Also, someone earlier in this thread linked to an article on which they talked about the size of the game and the actual game being 6.8GB, and the CG movies being around 30GB..so that's not 50GB, but 36.8GB..the 3 discs are 20.4GB...

Plus the disc swapping is 2 times and the first (probably) like in 10 hours game time, the second 10 hours (or so) later...not everytime there's a cutscene or you need to travel somewhere.

Rpgmonkey

gkrykewy said:
Man, the stupid is really ramping up. This place is going to be a clusterfuck in march, isn't it?

I think the situation would be better if the majority of the stupid weren't coming from Square Enix themselves. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is Wada trying to like... Destroy the Final Fantasy name?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seriously, they should release nice touched up or the best looking screens of the 360 version of FFXIII if they want to impress more people (those who own the 360) and there's almost to no coverage of the 360 version of FFXIII.

Styles

God SE get you act together. You're embarrassing yourselves with these half ass screenshots. My, how far have they fallen lately?

FF13_360_res.jpg

(* PS3 version's running at 1280 x 720 2 x MSAA in case you didn't know)

FF13_lighting_PS3.jpg

FF13_lighting_360.jpg

* PS3 shot's from the demo build.

* I have removed the 'ground texture' shots, since it's rather premature to determine a difference in texture fidelity between two versions with whatever limited information available at the moment, especially on 360's side. I'll probably do some in depth comparison upon the game's release.

androvsky

Unknown Soldier said:
Use this table to get a starting data rate, and then you can start moving the rate up or down depending on the quality and file size:

Sounds like it can be increased. Wouldn't surprise me if it could, but that still leaves the question of how much can they up the bitrate and still fit all the cinemas on 3 discs, given the fact there will have to be a certain amount of duplication of the game data.

I will say that even with my 720p TV, the cinemas on the old Japanese PS3 demo disc look absolutely stunning. There's a lot of room for the 360 to be worse, but still acceptable.

ULTROS!

Are both batches discredited?

Vamphuntr

Maybe the foliage will pop in as you approach it's location :lol . I can't believe Square was that lazy, that resolution is disappointing. (If those screenshots are real and up to date).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom