• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII post-release comparison/garbage thread

Jurai said:
confirmed without vague pixel counting of press screenshots - retail 360 game runs at 576p, image below has not been resized

dbc0aa985d1808ce7efde43d34a9a21fffmovie.jpg

What I don't get is if all of the cut-scenes have been compressed with Bink, what's the point of having them at 576p and not just upscale to 720p?

Replicant

Jurai said:
confirmed without vague pixel counting of press screenshots - retail 360 game runs at 576p, image below has not been resized

dbc0aa985d1808ce7efde43d34a9a21fffmovie.jpg

That looks like one hell of a bad compression. Like JPG put at 50% or lower.

fernoca

riceandbeans said:
What I don't get is if all of the cut-scenes have been compressed with Bink, what's the point of having them at 576p and not just upscale to 720p?
Well, the native resolution seems to be 576p..but the game is upscaled at whatever resolution you have set your Xbox 360 (720p, 1080p)..

Though still seem weird move, considering that they left around 2GB of data and in the worst case scenario, they could've negotiated something with Microsoft to release the game in 4 discs , but for some reason they decided to settle at 3 discs..

Syvere

Banned
riceandbeans said:

Lower resolution means smaller filesize.

fernoca

Replicant said:
That looks like one hell of a bad compression. Like JPG put at 50% or lower.
Well, is a "print-screened" picture..saved as jpeg, so some "additional" compression is expected.

Durante

Jurai said:
Wait, am I getting this right? They encoded the FMV at 576p?

Vamphuntr

Firestorm said:
Not with that level of macroblocking holy crap :lol (Unless it's the jpeg compression in which case my bad)

It's really apparent on the pillars in that pic. Hope it's jpg compression for SQE's sake.

Jurai

Banned
good thing bink can convert bink videos to self contained playable exes...

prepare to be disappointed

and trust me, it's not jpg compression.

fernoca

Well, Bink compressed videos tend to look "heavily compressed"..and with artifacts and stuff...usually in darker-colors (black, gray, brown)...

Though it may still look really good; when even many 480i/p DVD movies..when upscaled to 720p look quite nice. Obviously no "OMG 1080p nice"..but still nice. :p .

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
You call that good? :)

I'm sure I've seen better somewhere else on GAF

edit - oh, it was a joke.

Why heck did Bink video get popular on Xbox platforms or heck used on PS3 too when there are such superior video codecs?

I remember back in the PS2/Xbox days the Bink Xbox FMV were always heavily compressed and thus worse than the standard MPEG2 vids that tend to be in the PS2 counterparts.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:lol >_<
TTP said:
You call that good? :)

I'm sure I've seen better somewhere else on GAF
It was a joke (JPG-compressed as heck!)

Durante

DR2K said:
Damn that looks so blurry. 576p = nasty.
The problem there is not primarily the resolution, but the data rate. For comparison, DVDs have an average data rate of around 5 Mbit/s.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Why heck did Bink video get popular on Xbox platforms or heck used on PS3 too when there are such superior video codecs?
I also wonder about that, I assume it's performance and/or licencing costs.

Looked fine to me. Only part that looked heavily compressed and bothering was the beginning when the camera was zoomed out. Other than that, it's completely watchable. No huge blocks or tearing. It's no 1080p, but it's aight. Gaming sites and most definently N4G are gonna make a shitstorm out of this though.

Jurai

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:

I remember back in the PS2/Xbox days the Bink Xbox FMV were always heavily compressed and thus worse than the standard MPEG2 vids that tend to be in the PS2 counterparts.

I'm not actually sure why so many devs switched, but almost all recent 360 games use Bink instead of WMV now. I'm not really sure if it gives better quality per bitrate or not, I know that it DOES support a shit ton of audio streams in one file though, letting you use one video file with all the multilinqual surround tracks embedded at once

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit.... holy... shit :lol I might just go Resonance of Fate route now =P. In fact, I am gonna do that. 360 version seems atrocious everywhere. The FMVs looking that bad seal the deal for me. Pathetic work SE.

Firestorm

DR2K said:
Reminds me of Star Ocean 4 battles. Which was around 576p iirc.
I think they were lower :lol But yeah, the reason it is "blurry" is because of the terrible bitrate. Images only look blurry due to resolution if it is rendered at a lower resolution and scaled up (like a 480p / 576p / 720p picture on a 1080p tv). That image is at its native resolution.
Vamphuntr said:
Bink video compression is really awful. Dear god the screen is not even ''clean''. You can see artifacts during the whole clip :(.
shimmering all over yeah

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well what did you guys expect, they compressed 32gb of FMV by basically 50%. Kind of impressive really!

The FMV at 1080p are really stunningly beautiful, though. Sad result but kind of inevitable.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Anyone have some more pics of that vid that aren't jpg, like PNGs? I can post some later tonight once I'm home.

Top Bottom