• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV 4.1 "The Legend Returns" trailer; out on Oct 10, Return to Ivalice!

Shamdeo

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBYwa-7IvY

Release Date:
Tuesday October 10 2017

Platforms:
Windows PC, Steam, PlayStation 4, Mac

THE LEGEND RETURNS – Patch Contents:

• Main Scenario Quests – The Legend Returns – (Stormblood spoilers)
"The liberation of Ala Mhigo signals the end of an era of tyranny. Here, on the cusp of a new age of freedom, her people must decide how they will greet their future...and reconcile with their past. What path lies ahead for Lyse and her efforts to rebuild the nation? What choices plague Fordola from within her prison cell? And to where will Raubahn return, now that the dream for his homeland has at last become a reality?"

• Alliance Raid – Return to Ivalice – "This morning, residents of Kugane woke to find above their city an airship unlike any ever seen. Yet while of Garlean design, the vessel distinctly lacked the bleak outfitting common in the Empire's warmachina. No, this was the Prima Vista, private stage for the Majestic Imperial Theater Company-a troupe having won acclaim across Garlemald for their timeless work, ”The Zodiac Brave Story." Which begets the question...why are they here? The answer to that question and more lies in the selfsame legend of which they sing. The legend of Ivalice."

Guest Creator: Yasumi Matsuno (Return to Ivalice – scenario concept)
"Born in 1965 and raised in Niigata prefecture, Japan. The renowned video game designer is now CEO of Algebra Factory. Director and writer of numerous titles, including Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Final Fantasy XII."

Guest Creator: Keita Amemiya (Return to Ivalice – boss creature design)
"Movie director, illustrator, character designer, and head of the CROWD design studio. Born in 1959 and raised in Chiba prefecture, Japan. Creator of dozens of titles across a variety of media, including Zeram, Moon Over Tao, Tekkouki Mikazuki, Tweeny Witches, and the GARO series."

• Dungeon – The Drowned City of Skalla – "Long ago, in the dawn of the Fifth Astral Era, the modest nation of Skalla was founded in the land of Gyr Abania. Over the span of several centuries, its people constructed a grand city of stone at the bottom of a steep-walled ravine, but even this natural defense could not protect Skalla from destruction during a terrible age of war. When the great flood of the Sixth Umbral Calamity later swept across the realm, the hollow ruins of the city were lost to sight, its remnants submerged beneath a raging sea. Haunting the depths of what is now Loch Seld, Skalla's silent walls lure adventurers into the salt-laden waters with the promise of mysteries unsolved and treasures unclaimed."

• Housing – Shirogane – "At long last, plots in picturesque Shirogane will go on sale. Set to the backdrop of the exotic Far East, the area offers a lifestyle experience like no other. Won't you carve yourself a slice of Hingan paradise? Love your estate hall, but yearn for a change of scenery? Yearn no more, for 4.1 will introduce the relocation function, which allows you to move your individually or free company-owned building to a new plot. Storage will be added to all forms of housing, allowing residents to stow their furnishings. Whether you wish to declutter or relocate, it will doubtless prove to be a boon."

• Extreme Trial – The Minstrel's Ballad:
Shinryu's
Domain
– (Stormblood spoilers)
"A god born of sorrow and despair. A man who lives only for death. As one they fought the Warrior of Light, and as one they fell. No words could do this titanic encounter justice...unless they come from the wandering minstrel, to whom no event is beyond improvement. As his nimble fingers pluck out the chords, his rich voice carries you to a place above the world, one that is at once familiar and foreign: Shinryu's domain."

• Ultimate Trial – The Unending Coil of Bahamut – (Patch 4.11) A new ultimate trial meant for those who want to push themselves to the limit. The difficulty will be more intense than the current Savage mode difficulty raid.

• PvP Mode – Rival Wings – (Patch 4.15) "On the forgotten fringes of the Dravanian Hinterlands, there lie the remnants of a Sharlayan testing site known as Astragalos. With their boundless ingenuity, the goblins of Idyllshire have transformed the place into an expansive training ground. Here, brave adventurers can take control of mighty machines in large-scale war games reminiscent of battles against the Garlean Empire. A furious struggle for territorial supremacy awaits!"

• Side Story – Still Further Hildibrand Adventures – "How depressingly dreary and plain existence is, in those brief interludes between the appearances of the larger-than-life inspector extraordinaire. Once more into the sky did he fly, and so once more did Nashu Mhakaracca set forth in search of her mentor-this time in the Far East. But hark, who lurks in yonder shadow, smelling faintly of cheese?"

• Beast Tribe Quests – Kojin of the Blue – "Though divided into two factions, the Red and the Blue, all Kojin have labored since time immemorial to gather treasures they believe serve as vessels for the divine. The Red Kojin achieve this goal through violence, once serving as mercenaries for the Garlean Empire. With imperials now gone, however, they have chosen to take control of the treasure vault of the Kojin knowing full well their Blue brethren will not raise arms against them. Instead, the Blue Kojin now seek to create their own treasure vault. What hardships will they encounter in their endeavor to honor the divine?"

• Additional Features – Custom Deliveries – "Everyone's favorite officer is looking for a few good adventurers to help her raise money for a good cause. Through regular contributions, Disciples of the Hand and Land will be able to strengthen their ties with M'naago and experience the story of the Resistance Widows and Orphans Fund."

• Adventurer Squadrons Update – Dungeon Exploration – A new update will allow you to take your trained adventurer squadron into select instanced content as AI-controlled party members.

• The Lost Canals of Uznair Update – New maps will lead you even deeper into the Canals and will offer more chances for loot. New, rare enemies will be added as well.

• Perform – (Patch 4.15) Bards will be able to "Perform" with a harp and map notes to hotbars. More instruments will be added later (flute, etc.)

Community:
NeoGAF OT

Useful Sites:
Free Trial Version – Play up to Level 35 for free
Recruit-A-Friend Campaign
A Beginner's Guide
Job Guide

Major Patches:
2.0 – A Realm Reborn
2.1 – A Realm Awoken
2.2 – Through the Maelstrom
2.3 – Defenders of Eorzea
2.4 – Dreams of Ice
2.5 – Before the Fall
3.0 – Heavensward
3.1 – As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness
3.2 – The Gears of Change
3.3 – Revenge of the Horde
3.4 – Soul Surrender
3.5 – The Far Edge of Fate
4.0 – Stormblood
4.1 – The Legend Returns

shibijts8d.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sogood.gif

I feel bad for Shamdeo. They made a thread first but I can't get the page opened.

Fuuuuuuu- Because apparently the list of games I need to play isn't big enough. I should really go back and finish trying to catch up.

Luigi87

Oh snap,
Ba'Gamnan.

god, after I beat Sus EX and Lak EX I fell out of playing. Didn't do Omega runs, and have fallen behind in gear D=

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jesus fucking Tactics music.

I'm really looking forward to the Return to Ivalice raid. I didn't see anything about a new "deep dungeon" like Palace of the Dead though. Is that not coming in 4.1?

Raven117

Gold Member
Yasumi Matsuno:

Please make a new game for consoles. The market has changed since the majority of folks misunderstood the greatness of FFXII.

We are ready for you.

Thanks,
Raven

IvorB

Seems like a really meaty patch to me.

Does anyone know how the squadron will function? Do they have AI that is customisable at all? Can one give them orders?

Also the idea of Royal Menagerie EX makes me chuckle considering how crazy the normal version is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I want this, but I feel like I don't have time for this. Maybe if it was on Switch, but I feel like if I went back on PS4 I wouldn't have the time to really commit. That trailer got me all hype doe.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm most intrigued by where they'll go with the story as they've wrapped up basically every lingering plot thread with a few exceptions. Ascians up to no good all of a sudden again? Boring political maneuvering setting up the next patch? There's so much less to go on than most prior patches.

Luigi87

Omg... I never played it but now I want to. It's it super long to reach this dlc?

Unless you pay to skip both ARR and Heavensward, one would still have to play through Stormblood's story to reach this.

So yes, it's long, but it's also worth it, as FFXIV is awesome.

Akala

Pretty hype about, lot of great stuff incoming from looks of it.

Hope the raid is aces, IN MATSUNO I TRUST.

-NeoTB1-

I don't play this anymore, but anything Ivalice-related has me foaming at the mouth. That FFT music and Ramza & Delita key art at the end... *swoon*

Izuna

Banned
Unless you pay to skip both ARR and Heavensward, one would still have to play through Stormblood's story to reach this.

So yes, it's long, but it's also worth it, as FFXIV is awesome.

Eh, I guess I'll just watch a stream one day.

Clunker

FFXIV became my summer crush this year - I went from zero to endgame over the course of three months. Was literally saying to myself this morning, "no time to play, maybe I should let sub run out and wait a few months."

So much for that! I'm actually excited for the 24-man roulette since I've never done any of them.

Arkeband

Banned
How many MSQs do these patches usually have? It feels weird being caught up.

Usually goes up to .5, although I think they had mentioned they could go to .6 or more (giving themselves leeway to give themselves more time for expansions if necessary)

Edit: oh I completely misunderstood your question

• Adventurer Squadrons Update – Dungeon Exploration – A new update will allow you to take your trained adventurer squadron into select instanced content as AI-controlled party members.
i'm actually so happy they are improving this feature.
Actually feelign like a leader with my own team ( and not just friends ) will be nice.

Top Bottom