• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else getting a problem where the screen goes black and an error pops up saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"? This happens roughly every 10-15 minutes of play and its annoying the hell out of me. FF14 is the only game that does this to me, so its not my hardware.

Your video card is overheating, then shutting down so it doesn't melt, then overheating, then shutting down, etc... etc...

Go to your catalyst or nvidia control center and turn off automatic fan speed, then turn your fan speed up to around 65-75%, more if that doesn't fix it. It's going to be loud though.

Automatic mode for both nvidia and ati caps the fan at 40%, so as to maintain low noise. Sounds like this game is taxing your card pretty heavily.

I can't wait for dx11 support when ps4 comes around, then it'll be taxing my card as well and it should look even more stunning.

akaoni

Banned
A self-assured young man and his strong-willed twin sister, recently come to Eorzea in pursuit of an unknown agenda. In spite of their tender years, the two carry themselves with an air of unwavering purpose.

charapic_080.jpg

I'm okay with this.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So guys, OP is a little barren on info and I need help:

This will be my first real MMO (PSO doesn't count IMO).
What I need to know:

I'd prefer playing on PC for performance reason, but I'll be able to play with PS3 fellows as well, right?
Are GAF EU and US separate or is there hopefully a single sever and no region-locks bullshit?
I can find the old standard FFXIV DVD-rom package new for a pittance, should I buy that instead of the specific and much more expensive (13€ versus €30) ARR package?
What are the differences, will I just DL patches and whatnot and play all the same with the old sku? I see ARR includes 30days of sub iiirc, is it the same for vanilla sku?
How many characters slots do we have?

Last but not least, what's a decent cheap BT receiver and BT headset and how do I sign up to play with gaffers?

THANKS!
If you guys could shed some light.. I'd really like to get in MMO but this one is the only RPGS one that appeals to me, also: GAMEPAD support! :D

Good advice however I have to disagree with the bolded. Spamming OP will drain your TP. What every MRD need is Flash (GLA lv8 I believe). Pull a mob with Tomahawk, then Flash the 3-4 mobs when they get close to you, and OP once, after that just go through the Skull Sunder/Butcher's Block combo on all the enemies.

While I agree with this for the most part, it's really common (sadly) that your dps will be split amongst mobs. A lot of time you will need those few extra Overpowers.

T.O.P

Banned
Leveling a job (Pugilist) for my THM is getting really tiresome, i mean no quest outside the one given from GM, only hunting log and Fates seems a bit unfair

am i doing something wrong? i really want to make a blackmage by tonight :/

Leveling a job (Pugilist) for my THM is getting really tiresome, i mean no quest outside the one given from GM, only hunting log and Fates seems a bit unfair

...I have some bad news for you...

You can't get a job on this phase. Only 1.0 players that already have the job unlocked can play as one.

mingus

What you're doing wrong is no jobs are available in phase 3. For release, what I've heard is that you should do as few side quests as possible for your first class to save them for your other classes, and also to make liberal use of your leve allowances for your other classes in addition to hunting log, fates and dungeon grinding.

As someone already said, you can't get jobs in the beta. Only 1.0 characters who had jobs unlocked already can use them.

About leveling another class... How about levequests? I recommend saving and storing up levequests for your second/third jobs you want to level. You can hold up to 99 levequest allowances.

EndersAres

Neo Member
I have been playing the pudgeilist class. It plays very similar to a arms warrior in WoW, without the swords of course. At least so far anyways, only level 11. That's grand cause that was my favorite class and spec in that game. I made a human named Arthas Menethil. I really disliked marauder and archer. The mage class and lancer seemed ok from what I played. I haven't played the other one. I wish they would put what the classes do in the descriptions (dips,healz,taaaaank). Zone chat would be really nice as well, doing the shouting is annoying. I got to horizon and started the quest there.

T.O.P

Banned
What you're doing wrong is no jobs are available in phase 3. For release, what I've heard is that you should do as few side quests as possible for your first class to save them for your other classes, and also to make liberal use of your leve allowances for your other classes in addition to hunting log, fates and dungeon grinding.
As someone already said, you can't get jobs in the beta. Only 1.0 characters who had jobs unlocked already can use them.

About leveling another job... How about levequests? I recommend saving and storing up levequests for your second/third jobs you want to level. You can hold up to 99 levequest allowances.

well yeah didn't know that so i did as much levequest/sidequest i could on my THM

I'll try to keep this in mind for the final game

Also, u need a lvl 30 THM and a lvl 15 Pugilist for Black Mage right?

@SRY DOUBLE POST

well yeah didn't know that so i did as much levequest/sidequest i could on my THM

@SRY DOUBLE POST

If this page is accurate (which it should be), they have changed it from XIV 1.0. For Black Mage, you need 30 THM and 15 ACN (Arcanist).

@SRY DOUBLE POST

Pugilist no longer is needed, that was on 1.0. In ARR you need Arcanist lvl 15.

omlet

I'd prefer playing on PC for performance reason, but I'll be able to play with PS3 fellows as well, right?
Yep.

Are GAF EU and US separate or is there hopefully a single sever and no region-locks bullshit?
Servers are not region locked however due to the large timezone differences there are servers officially designated by SE for EU players in order to make it easier to find people to do things with on EU timezones. However, this is merely a recommendation and is not enforced.

I can find the old standard FFXIV DVD-rom package new for a pittance, should I buy that instead of the specific and much more expensive (13€ versus €30) ARR package? What are the differences, will I just DL patches and whatnot and play all the same with the old sku? I see ARR includes 30days of sub iiirc, is it the same for vanilla sku?
AFAIK the old XIV codes will still work for ARR and you will be able to get the ARR client as a free download once you activate your account. However, I'm not sure the old XIV codes will give you 30 days of playtime. Also by not preordering ARR (any version) you will miss out on early access/head start before launch.

How many characters slots do we have?
Depends on which subscription you use. Basic sub is cheaper and includes 1 character slot per server. Standard is a bit more and includes 8 character slots per server. Both have a limit of 40 total characters AFAIK. Honestly, the way this game works, you don't really need more than 1 character. This is not a game that really encourages alts.

MEsoJD

Banned
Hi, can someone tell me how to get/own a chocobo? Also I purchased some dyes, but can't figure out how to use them.

Hi, can someone tell me how to get/own a chocobo? Also I purchased some dyes, but can't figure out how to use them.

Keep doing the story missions until you join a Grand Company. Then go earn some company seals by doing FATEs or Grand Company leves, and buy the chocobo from the GC vendor for 1,000 seals.

For Keyboard/Mouse just right click the item you want to dye.

For Controller highlight the item you want to dye and press square.

If the option is greyed out, it means that item can't be dyed.

Khrno

While I agree with this for the most part, it's really common (sadly) that your dps will be split amongst mobs. A lot of time you will need those few extra Overpowers.

That's true, so when that happens you nicely telle them to focus on your target, there's even a default key to assist the current target, which I believe is T on PC,

In the lower levels I don't expect them actually following that advice since some people think they can tank as a lnc/pgl due to the difficulty of the starting dungeons, but if from Halatali they still won't listen, and will give shit not just to the tank but to the healer, then they just deserve to die (literally).

I have met my share of individuals who do whatever they want during a dungeon run, they like to run ahead of the tank, pull with their ranged attacks, attack different mobs, etc. And at the same time I've met healers that won't take any shit from people that don't have common sense, so we've ended up agreeing to just let learn by experience, if they mess up, neither I nor the healer will stand up for them.

For most people after dying once, or even twice, they decided to cooperate and everything went smoothly after, but I do remember 2 guys, a THM and an ARC that just kept saying until the very end how shit both me and the healer were due to not keeping him alive.

The Duty Finder has been a great tool on over 50 runs, to see al the different kind of players. Not looking forward to DF end-game dungeons, unless I'm just bored looking to have a laugh on the DF.

I really hope that rumor about them adding Arcanist for Phase 4 is true. I would like to do the story missions as that class because it's the only non-battle class I don't have at 15+ already. That way, I could get some good use out of the story mission exp.

EDIT: Technically, my Marauder is only level 10, but still!

Speaking as a pugilist, it's really annoying when the tank spends the entire fight spinning the enemy around non-stop. :p

A tank should be able to move out of the cone, and then right back into position before the mob turns at all. Sorry about your luck.

Oh and tanks running dungeons use the marking system to show what you want slept and the order you want stuff attacked

That is fun and useful for the people that do do it, but dps needs to learn just to assist the tanks target by them selves since you can't rely on every tank doing it that way. As Khrno just posted, it is good to remind them that T is the default "target of target" button to find what the tank is always targeting.

Good advice however I have to disagree with the bolded. Spamming OP will drain your TP. What every MRD need is Flash (GLA lv8 I believe). Pull a mob with Tomahawk, then Flash the 3-4 mobs when they get close to you, and OP once, after that just go through the Skull Sunder/Butcher's Block combo on all the enemies.

However, some CNJs do like to cast sleep mobs, not all of them do (same how some THMs don't even know they have that spell), so after the first OP there's no need to attack the slept mobs again until after killing the first mob. If fighting the group of mobs gets too long, then another Flash is a good idea.

In summary, Overpower spam is not good for TP, and will cause downtime between group of mobs. Flash is a much needed tool to help conserve TP, although due to the low MP pool it can't and shouldn't be spammed either.

One last tip, Provoke (GLA lv22) for stray single targets, might need a Tomahawk right after its use, or a single action from whoever had hate will get the hate back.

Really haven't ran into an instance where on more then 2 mobs overpower spam wasn't a good idea. May just be the the way things are now, and it could be a bad habit to form, but so far just haven't run into problems doing it. Sure I ran out of TP from time to time, but regen is fast enough that I have enough for the next fight by the time I get to them, so it hasn't caused any downtime yet.

CNJ that like to sleep mobs have a better skill for doing so. That knockback to move them out of aoe range before sleeping.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That is fun and useful for the people that do do it, but dps needs to learn just to assist the tanks target by them selves since you can't rely on every tank doing it that way. As Khrno just posted, it is good to remind them that T is the default "target of target" button to find what the tank is always targeting.
This would be good if the tank isn't jumping around building threat on things. Tanks shouldn't be lazy and do it no mater what it's another thing there to prevent accidents. Not to mention after one mob dies it lets the dps jump straight to the next one if the tank isn't already on it for one reason or another.

Besides you can target the marking with the mouse as well which makes bigger groups easier to dps faster

Anteater

Yea i need to start marking shit, I haven't been doing it because my bar is full :<, my friend usually mark the stuff for me to let the other melee know because we're in the same group, and he knows what order I do things, but I should do it myself, but targeting with a controller is so slooooow.

Khrno

A tank should be able to move out of the cone, and then right back into position before the mob turns at all. Sorry about your luck.

Phase 4 should have cone/rectangle red market for frontal AoE attacks, so it will be easier for everyone to see the type of attack the mobs have. sometimes I don't move far enough to the side and might get hit from a conical aoe, and to be hones there's not really much we can do to differentiate those types of frontal attacks.

Also every time I move to a side or to the back of a mob (passing through it), I feel for the DDs if they are going to combo from a specific position since the mob is most likely to spin even if just for a second while I get back to the front.

CNJ that like to sleep mobs have a better skill for doing so. That knockback to move them out of aoe range before sleeping.

I don't particularly like that knockback skill since it takes them out of Flash range lol

This would be good if the tank isn't jumping around building threat on things. Tanks shouldn't be lazy and do it no mater what it's another thing there to prevent accidents. Not to mention after one mob dies it lets the dps jump straight to the next one if the tank isn't already on it for one reason or another.

Besides you can target the marking with the mouse as well which makes bigger groups easier to dps faster

Shouldn't be a problem. Dps shouldn't jump around until a mob is dead, and tank should have the next target targeted when it is.

Don't get me wrong. The marking system is useful, but it is a crutch. A useful crutch that mostly helps bad players. What I was saying though is that it is best not to plan on tanks using it, since some won't, and rely on methods that will always be there. Assisting targets will always be there. Marked targets is a happy surprise that will help bad dps stay on point.

Khrno

Shouldn't be a problem. Dps shouldn't jump around until a mob is dead, and tank should have the next target targeted when it is.

It's really easy to know when to move to the next mob, as soon as Mercy Stroke becomes available (HP <20%), I Heavy Swing on it and then Skull Sunder on the next target (after lv30 followed by Butcher's Block) and that mob stays on you until it's death.

Are there any other huge FATE NMs/monsters besides the giant crab (by Costa del Sol) or the large rock monster by Camp Tranquil? Is there one in the Ul'dah region? I like messing with those to practice my rotations for some of my classes. :p

Truthfully, unless their just practicing, nothing needs to be slept at this point anyways. Healers are usually at full MP going from pull to pull. I thought this might have just been a product of being on legacy servers with healers who were more geared, but after rolling a fresh Marauder on Ultros these past couple of days, there's still no reason to sleep anything.

Road

Don't get me wrong. The marking system is useful, but it is a crutch. A useful crutch that mostly helps bad players. What I was saying though is that it is best not to plan on tanks using it, since some won't, and rely on methods that will always be there. Assisting targets will always be there. Marked targets is a happy surprise that will help bad dps stay on point.

I agree with QisTopTier, the markings really help DPS. The time the tank decides his next target and I follow him can be the difference between me making 150 damage or 300 damage on the next enemy (very situational and in the current dungeons irrelevant, but it can happen =P).

What some tanks do is move to the next target a little before the current one dies, though, which helps us DPS to follow right away too even without markings.

Kyzer

Banned
Dungeons are boring as fuck. I already played WoW to death and this is just like...ugh. Maybe it gets better when you have a more interesting rotation of moves? Cuz as of now its just like. *snore*

This game needs:

Equipment Preview
Equipment Linking in Chat
MUCH more skills not on this bullshit 2.5s cooldown
Solo limit breaks
WAY more armor and weapon variation
A more cohesive and upfront auction house system

the list goes on.

Will buy day -8.

Noaloha

I can't comment on how easy or not this is, as I've not played a tank class yet. Just to clarify though, the post which I was replying to with my comment was (I believe) advocating that the tank constantly circles the current enemy for the entire fight. I've seen it happen several times in FATEs and once in a party. Kinda goofy looking and I found it real tough to see if I was positioning my PUG's rear and side abilities properly.

Midou

Was trying to use 'return' once while being swarmed by enemies and I warped just as I died. I went to my warp location but he was in dying animation and was stuck like that. I could jump and slide around all while dead. Came out of it when I attacked an enemy.

Road

Was trying to use 'return' once while being swarmed by enemies and I warped just as I died. I went to my warp location but he was in dying animation and was stuck like that. I could jump and slide around all while dead. Came out of it when I attacked an enemy.

I was casting raise on someone and he decided to respawn right when the raise finished casting. The result: he disappeared with the return animation, then one sec latter he reappeared with the raise animation. lol

This game's netcode is a mess. Can't wait for the video compilation with dozens of this type of silliness when the NDA is lifted. =P

Baleoce

First custom mod needs to be a gamma switch for dungeons. Assuming SE don't do it. Have to squint so hard during them. But don't want to have gamma bumped up for outside zones.

It's really easy to know when to move to the next mob, as soon as Mercy Stroke becomes available (HP <20%), I Heavy Swing on it and then Skull Sunder on the next target (after lv30 followed by Butcher's Block) and that mob stays on you until it's death.

Yeah pretty much. Heck if Mercy Stroke is even available on a trash mob, its time to move over to the next one.

I agree with QisTopTier, the markings really help DPS. The time the tank decides his next target and I follow him can be the difference between me making 150 damage or 300 damage on the next enemy (very situational and in the current dungeons irrelevant, but it can happen =P).

What some tanks do is move to the next target a little before the current one dies, though, which helps us DPS to follow right away too even without markings.

Don't think you understand what I am saying. Yes it is a helpful tool that is good when a tank uses it. Just saying that people shouldn't rely on it since it is something that a tank may decide not to use so will not be there. This isn't coming from a tank that wants to remain lazy, but a lifelong melee dps that wants other players to learn how to not split dps/be bad.

I can't comment on how easy or not this is, as I've not played a tank class yet. Just to clarify though, the post which I was replying to with my comment was (I believe) advocating that the tank constantly circles the current enemy for the entire fight. I've seen it happen several times in FATEs and once in a party. Kinda goofy looking and I found it real tough to see if I was positioning my PUG's rear and side abilities properly.

Ah sorry about that.

omlet

game needs
Equipment Preview -- Pretty sure this is on the way for launch or soon after (like first major update, since it's not a critical feature for gameplay).

Equipment Linking in Chat -- This is partially implemented and they're working on the rest (you can drag an item into chat to auto-text it but the clicking to view tooltip part doesn't work yet).

MUCH more skills not on this bullshit 2.5s cooldown -- This probably won't change unless they put individual skill cooldowns like they had in 1.x which is probably not going to happen. The more skills not on GCD, the less tactical and more spammy the battles become and that's not what they want.

Solo limit breaks -- Already confirmed (several times I think) that this is not happening. There would be no difference between a solo limit break and an individual skill along the lines of jobs' level 50 powerful skills. The point of LB is that it's a situational semi-versatile thing that the party needs to decide how to best make use of. If everyone had their own LB, that decision making element would mostly be gone.

WAY more armor and weapon variation -- Judging by 1.x content updates, you can definitely count on more stuff as time goes on.

A more cohesive and upfront auction house system -- I'm curious what you think is incohesive about the market wards/retainer system. It's pretty straightforward and has been streamlined considerably since 1.x.

I still got chills from the music and the fight.

One of my favorite MMO fights ever.

Same here.

A week of spending a couple hours a night in there to beat hardmode burned this tune into my brain pretty good...

My only regret is that my old PC was too crappy to record video while playing a game as demanding as 1.x so I didn't get to FRAPS our win :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom