• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Dad of Light |OT| A Daddy Reborn

Ryuukan

tA9wd79.png

Release Date: September 1, 2017
Platform: Netflix

4y9Mbij.png

Hirotaro, an average Japanese salaryman, decided one day to purchase a Nintendo Famicom along with Final Fantasy III for his son Akio, after a long period of reluctance to do so. Akio thoroughly enjoyed playing Final Fantasy III and even stumbled across his father playing it in the middle of the night. Though they shared the joy of playing this game together, their relationship grew cold as the years went on, barely speaking to each other. Akio, now a salaryman himself, has continued to play video games and is currently spending his time in Eorzea in Final Fantasy XIV.

Suddenly, Hirotaro quits his job without telling any of his family. Akio decides to use this time as an opportunity to reconnect with his father using Final Fantasy, the series that brought them together many years ago. After consulting with the members of his Free Company in the game, “The Dad of Light” plan is hatched. Akio will gift Final Fantasy XIV to his dad and then anonymously befriend him inside the game before revealing himself, in hopes to reignite their father and son bond smoothly.

NwPtCuH.png

PdA4lUS.png

The Dad of Light himself, Hirotaro was considered to be a candidate for the next president of his company but just decided to quit out of the blue. His Hyur character’s name is blocked out because I think the delivery of the reveal in the show is great so I did not want to spoil it. If you want to know regardless, it is
Indy Jones
Portrayed by Ren Osugi, a character actor with a long career, he is commonly found in fatherly figure roles, most recently as this year in Uso no Sensou.

CqMYhWT.png

A young salaryman who loves video games, he hopes to be able to speak casually with his dad again.
Portrayed by Yudai Chiba, tokusatsu fans may recognize him as Gosei Red, from Tensou Sentai Goseiger. He has since had many supporting roles with a wide range of personalities, my personal favorite being a flamboyant aggressive realtor in Ie Uru Onna.
In Eorzea, his character, the miqo'te Maidy, is voiced by Yoshino Nanjo. Final Fantasy XIV players may recognize her as the voice of Krile Mayer Baldesion.

gPcuyIT.png

The Mom of Light, she enjoys Korean dramas.
Portrayed by Mako Ishino, a singer and actress who has played a supportive housewife in a number of dramas, such as Hana Yori Dango and Boku, Unmei no Hito desu.

iP1m2y7.png

A new hire at Akio’s workplace.
Portrayed by Fumika Baba, a model who is also known for her role as Medic in Kamen Rider Drive.

JlBMHYI.png

Members of Maidy’s Free Company, they are there to support him in his “Dad of Light” plan.
They are voiced by Minako Kotobuki and Aoi Yuuki, respectively, each with extensive voice acting experience.

KHGdkDl.png

How do I watch this?
Please click on the Netflix show link in the Links section below or search for “Final Fantasy XIV Dad of Light” on the device of your choice and look for the below thumbnail in the results.
07A3mNn.png

It will require a Netflix account. Remember, it costs real money, kupo.

What are the songs used on the show?
The opening theme is “the other end of the globe” by Glay. Abridged music video

The ending theme is “AKANE” by Silent Siren. Official music video

The insert song is “Jacarandaの花のように” by Meg.

I thought the title was “Daddy of Light”???
Let us pray for the lost daddy memes, RIP

Is this based on a true story?
It is, please see the Links section below for the original blog. (Japanese)

clSX1nu.png

Netflix show link
The blog that started it all (Japanese)
Official Japanese show site
Threads from two other recent Japanese dramas that are available only on Netflix.
Million Yen Women
Samurai Gourmet

4dkamRu.png

Thank you to Aeana for font advice (FF3 font source)
and thank you to Netflix for bringing this show over as well as everyone for watching!

shira

The premise doesn't seem realistic enough.
Maybe something more casual. I can't see a retired person start playing MMORPG.

jugann

Neo Member
Having seen the first 4 episodes already, I am pumped to see it through till the end! It's heartwarming and made me chuckle a couple of times.
Loved the fathers ingame name :p

Ah and great to finally have source on both the opening and ending themes! Both are quite nice imo :)

Wonko_C

LOL at the people who think this isn't realistic, this is based on a real-life blog. Even the son's character being that same Female Miqo'te he uses in RL.

Pancho

Qurupancho
What a time to be alive that a show like this exists
I will watch
Edit: its super unsurprising that the son went for cat girl race xD
Miqote are the poison that is destroying Eorzea

BiggNife

Is there a translation of the original blog the movie is based on anywhere? I'm curious to read about the actual events this movie is based on but my Japanese is rusty as hell.

Ryuukan

Is there a translation of the original blog the movie is based on anywhere? I'm curious to read about the actual events this movie is based on but my Japanese is rusty as hell.

btw this is a drama series not a movie

should be 7 24min episodes I think

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
One thing about the "realism" part. I haven' read the whole blog, maybe half of it, but if I'm not mistaken the whole subplot about the son's work life is completely new. Also some other parts of the story seem to be new in the drama.

In the end I thought the drama was "okay", but to my surprise it didn't make me really want to jump back into the game. Definitely too much "work" part, which was made even harder to watch because the acting was less then stellar.

In minor complaints, it annoyed me how they often would zoom on the screen instead of using direct feed to show the chat etc. Also, some game performance problems during direct feed scenes were really confusing. Why was that a problem?

_Ryo_

I'm confused. Is this a documentary or an entirely fictional drama?
EDIT: Also would this be enjoyable for people who dislike MMOs and don't really know anything about FFXIV?

I'm confused. Is this a documentary or an entirely fictional drama?
EDIT: Also would this be enjoyable for people who dislike MMOs and don't really know anything about FFXIV?

It's a drama based on some blog posts. The blogs claim to be real but who knows :)

Fwiw it's been fun so far and I know next to nothing about XIV, though if you hate MMOs then I'm not sure what you'll make of it (I don't play MMOs but I wouldn't say I dislike them). They spend a fair amount of time in-game, though there's plenty of live-action drama around it all.

Ruruja

Just watched the first ep.

It reminded me how amazing FF14 music is.

Loved the scene after he saved his dad from the Treant too.

Lain

Just got a netflix email to let me know something I might like was released and it was this. Started watching the first episode and I already love it.

Ryuukan

just finished

I really enjoyed it even though some of the work scenes are a bit 🙄

I think the zoomed in parts were done like that to make you feel like the actors are actually playing the game, it didn't really bother me.

Top Bottom