• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Dad of Light |OT| A Daddy Reborn

Finished it just now. It was a rollercoaster of emotion. So much feels. I really enjoyed it as a fan of Final Fantasy XIV and the series in general.

Ryuuga

Banned
"..So then I told my son to stop playing games, focus on studying and ceased all familial communication with him!"

tenor.gif

Lain

Well I finished watching the first episode, between pauses here and there to go do things and laughing my ass off to stuff like the dad
running circles around the son because he has no idea how to communicate and then sprinting away
. Feels so realistic it hurts.

Griss

I don't understand at all...

1) Is this a documentary or a scripted program?
2) Is this just advertising hiding as a program?
3) Why aren't the main characters playing as Lalafell?

Ryuukan

It's a drama series based on a true story (about people who do not play as lalafells). The title of the show literally starts with the name of the game, not sure why you would call this "hiding advertising" lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watching it now. I hope this is as stupid and silly as it sounds.

Not having seen it yet, I can only assume the father and son are good people, with excellent hygiene and not the type of degenerate who would play as a Lalafell.

The son is not only playing Miqo'te, but has a FC house in the Lavender Beds, showing that he is a very well rounded, and upstanding person.

Dunkley

Finished it, and I really liked it for it was. Life in Eorzea and real life did a great job offsetting eachother. When one side got serious, the other one got more humorous and vice versa.

That balance is kept really well throughout all problems short of the big twist and climax of the story, and it works great to keep the show entertaining.

All in all, as someone who played 1.2k hours of FF14, an easy binge. Definitely recommend this to anyone who's interested.

TheGrizz

If this ends with the dad marrying his son's character I am going to rage...

I thought it was a little strange that the son chose a female character. I get it's a thing, but when you know your dad is probably going to play a guy, it just seems to me that it could get a little weird and maybe bring out creeper dad or something. Anyhow, I've added this to my queue and will hopefully get my wife to watch it with me.

Epcott

Finished episode 1. "Daddy won't communicate with me, so I'll buy him a game, then stalk him in the game as a kawaii chick, and communicate with him in uncomfortable manner instead of, you know, normal family therapy."

Just kidding.

But yeah, this show is weird.

I loled at "Your father is being attacked!"

Aeana

I'm having trouble with Akio looking like a baby in present day. When he said "I'm an adult now" in the first episode, I thought they were showing his son or something. FF3 came out in 1990, and it looked like the child version of him was about 7 (maybe 6?). That would make him 32 if this is set in 2015 (being generous, I don't know what year it's actually set in).

Just too weird.

Ryuukan

I'm having trouble with Akio looking like a baby in present day. When he said "I'm an adult now" in the first episode, I thought they were showing his son or something. FF3 came out in 1990, and it looked like the child version of him was about 7 (maybe 6?). That would make him 32 if this is set in 2015 (being generous, I don't know what year it's actually set in).

Just too weird.

I think they mention it's 2014 in one of the episodes. Akio's actor is 28 acc to Wikipedia so it's close? 🤷🏻

TissueBox

Watching it now and I surprised myself by loving it so far. Let's see where I am once these opening credits roll out...

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just finished the first episode. It's pretty good so far. Laughed my ass off at the end when
the dad didn't know how to communicate.
I saw it coming and it did not disappoint.

Just too weird.

Twintania is their ultimate goal, so Second Coil hasn't been released yet, and that came out in March 2014 I think. They seem to not even be aware of any upcoming harder content. Son is wearing full Mythic gear in episode 1. He's probably been playing since day 1.

I'm gonna guess this is around November 2013, when the PS4 launched, since he got his dad one. Then again, the PS4 didn't launch in Japan until February 2014, so maybe it's then. That's cutting it real close to Second Coil's release though. Character's still gotta be around 30. He looks super young.

walei

Watching EP2 now, this show is amazing!

I love how they use XIV soundtracks into real life scenes, Dream of Sultana fits so well in heartwarming scenes like when he first sets up the PS4 for Dad of Light.

And LOL in ep2 when
Maidy taking out her frustration yelling YOSHIDAAAAAAA

Zomba13

Just finished the first episode and really liked it. One thing I don't fully get is why not just play with your Dad normally? He seems to be into it and wanting to learn from his son like in the FFIII days, why the need for the elaborate plan? I guess he is afraid his dad wouldn't open up to him apart from the game related stuff?

One (SUPER) nit-picky thing is I'm unsure of the time frame for this. I think the original blog post was 2.0 stuff? The show mentions Twintania as being their end goal and the most powerful boss which was true for a while but there is an AST in the background in Gridania and the son has dyable AF which would make it past the point Twin was the biggest bad around. But yeah, that is super picky thing to be picky about and no matter when, doing T5 (synced at least) would be a big deal for any new comer.

Gotta get the buddies I recruited to FFXIV to watch this, I'm sure they will love it.

Also I love how the son has a
gear change macro

Wonko_C

Just finished the first episode and really liked it. One thing I don't fully get is why not just play with your Dad normally? He seems to be into it and wanting to learn from his son like in the FFIII days, why the need for the elaborate plan? I guess he is afraid his dad wouldn't open up to him apart from the game related stuff.

When you're a small kid and one day you want to play video games like always with your dad and he suddenly tells you you should spend less time playing games, it does impact your relationship negatively. I know because my dad told me nearly the same thing: "you shouldn't just talk about video games all the time" when I was very young. 30 years later and we're still not very open with each other ever since.

I am sure XIV fans will eat this up. Watched the first episode and it's...okay.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Because Lalafells are evil. The game has taught us this.

I haven't played XIV beyond the beta so let me ask some questions:

Can you really hug characters like that?
Does the game really have voice acting?
When the main character went all anime and punched the Tree Sapling did he switch to the Monk job or something? That shit was hilarious and great by the way!

Zomba13

I haven't played XIV beyond the beta so let me ask some questions:

Can you really hug characters like that?
Does the game really have voice acting?
When the main character went all anime and punched the Tree Sapling did he switch to the Monk job or something? That shit was hilarious and great by the way!

1.Yes you can hug characters with /hug or /embrace. It's a bit janky because it doesn't really take the other character into account except for crouching for potato people.
2. Yes but not for player characters (outside of the generic yells and laughs and grunts). Important NPCs in certain cutscenes have VA.
3. Yeah they switched to MNK but with some flashy gear changing. You can do it in game with a macro and emotes. A pain to set up but looks cool.

Qvoth

the blog that started it all?
you mean the script for this came from a blog? wtf i had no idea
was it a true story? lol

Watched the first episode
What a terrible son, stealing his dad's kill instead of healing him and letting him get the exp. DROPPED.

But pretty good start. Laughed my ass off when the dad just ran in circles cause he didn't know how to talk.

I started watching it and I am only on episode 2. The funny thing is I can sort of relate, because about a decade and a half ago I played Ragnarok Online. I got my little brother into it, and instead of helping him, I hopped onto my Hunter and killed him, while doing things like sitting on his corpse. He didn't find out it was me until a couple days later because he thought I mained a gunslinger. I guess FF14 doesn't have PKs, so I guess we won't see the son teabagging his dad's corpse in this series.

DxD

Banned
Is it good?

I saw it on my recommendation after I watched that POS Death Note movie.
I want my 1.5hrs back.

Mariip

I started watching it and I am only on episode 2. The funny thing is I can sort of relate, because about a decade and a half ago I played Ragnarok Online. I got my little brother into it, and instead of helping him, I hopped onto my Hunter and killed him, while doing things like sitting on his corpse. He didn't find out it was me until a couple days later because he thought I mained a gunslinger. I guess FF14 doesn't have PKs, so I guess we won't see the son teabagging his dad's dorpse in this series.
I know some players believe in the "git gut" doctrine... but this is taking it too far...xD
Edit: i'm on episode 4 and i just love the son's facial expressions, i can feel the cringe

I know some players believe in the "git gut" doctrine... but this is taking it too far...xD
Edit: i'm on episode 4 and i just love the son's facial expressions, i can feel the cringe

Well to be fair, I did help him on my gunslinger for a bit before leaving him alone, but seeing his reaction to getting pk'ed was hilarious as hell. The funny thing is that it becomes like a game of telephone, because he would try to make it sound like it was a fight, even though in reality my hunter just gibbed him instantly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just started playing. BAHAHAHA, Dad's in-game name reveal was comedy gold.

DxD

Banned
I dived in.
Really loving it and very relatable.

Episode 2 kinda scared me though.
I hope the Dad doesn't have liver/stomach cancer or something.

Just got done watching the first episode, I actually really enjoyed it and was expecting it not to be as good as it was, definitely had me laughing a lot a few times.. Now to decide to binge watch it or not.

Gotta say, when they showed the dads name and when he was running circles around his son because he didn't know how to chat had me dying, it's soooooo true.

Top Bottom