• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Dad of Light |OT| A Daddy Reborn

TheExodu5

Banned
when he was running circles around his son because he didn't know how to chat had me dying, it's soooooo true.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen in any media. My girlfriend was laughing her ass off as well, so it wasn't too obscure haha.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. I played a few hours of FF XIV on PC, but didn't even get far enough to get a mount IIRC. Still feels like I know enough to pick up on everything going on, if anyone is worried about lack of game knowledge impacting enjoyment.

Wish it was in 4K, though. Most Netflix shows are, and it would've been nice here.

Mariip

Well to be fair, I did help him on my gunslinger for a bit before leaving him alone, but seeing his reaction to getting pk'ed was hilarious as hell. The funny thing is that it becomes like a game of telephone, because he would try to make it sound like it was a fight, even though in reality my hunter just gibbed him instantly.
That's adorable and kinda depressing haha
Well at least he didn't quit the game, right?

Btw reading the blog i've found out the original story had a lalafel phase...

IvorB

This so weird that this is happening but I have to at least check it out. Will slot it in the next time I have a free Netflix slot.

Edit: Is there a chance the Dad of Light will disown him when he finds out he's playing a cat girl?

TissueBox

Ep.
you tear and warm my heart... this show could've gone in so many directions but each time it's been surprisingly tactful... now if you excuse me. *grabs self*

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Episode 7 didn't end the way I thought it would.

I didn't buy the dad-died fakeout for a second, but I thought the joke was going to be that his mom was sad because Heavensward came out.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I never thought it would be a drama, and thought it was a big joke when it was announced.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Uhm, anyone else fine it kind of weird
that his son and wife were not enough to make the dad want to live, he needed a guild? lol
(ending spoilers)

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just finished episode 6. Dude's in full 120 Poetics gear finishing the MSQ for the first time. Twintania should be a snap with that lol.

iammeiam

Finished episode 2; the in-game stuff is pretty entertaining and the father/son stuff is ok if cheesy.

But jesus that work storyline in episode two. They set it up like the kid's going to solve workplace sexism, with the coworker explaining that the women who are quitting all
don't want to work overtime, don't hang out socially, and are all super pretty... while we watch some guy all up in the female coworker's personal space making her uncomfortable. Pretty Girl doesn't want to explain what's demotivating her to the young male coworker they send to figure out what's up.
Which seemed kind of standard background, until they 'solve' the plot with the reveal that
Pretty Girl was actually going to quit because their uniforms are ugly and by making them pink she is now happy and all the girls working there are happier now! :D!

The XIV stuff is really fun, though.

Yamisan

I watched the first 4 I think, maybe 5. I really really love it, it got me to resub to FFXIV. But to be fair I was only only unsubbed for 2 days lol. Amazing show, I even love the work scenes.

Watched 4 episodes now and have watch the rest later when alone. Have a bad feeling there will be too much
feels
later.

Really loving the series, fun and weird in a good way.

Uhm, anyone else fine it kind of weird
that his son and wife were not enough to make the dad want to live, he needed a guild? lol
(ending spoilers)
TBH if your son was so damn distant that he couldn't bring himself to even speak with you and you treated your wife like she's a shrill maid you'd need some outside motivation too.

Murkas

Watched the series, quite neat.

I just got into FF14 a couple of months ago so seeing them struggle on Ifrit and Titan was funny, were they actually hard in original 2014 ARR lol? It's like impossible to die to them nowadays.

Also fuck all you guys hating on Lalafels.

I just got into FF14 a couple of months ago so seeing them struggle on Ifrit and Titan was funny, were they actually hard in original 2014 ARR lol? It's like impossible to die to them nowadays.
Well yeah, it doesn't make sense since his dad is just a DPS character and the other 3 could have probably killed it for him.

But I thought it's a good way to portray how bad the dad is at games.

Well most of the stuff isn't very accurate really, that's just a TV show so they simplify/embelish stuff so it makes sense for people who don't play the game. The story mode fights were always easy, comparatively twintania was like thousands of times harder at 50. Probably doesn't help that he was an archer the entire time.

The one thing that bothered me more than it should have is when they do Garuda, for some reason they have a cagirl healer instead of the usual potato glasses girl, then halfway in that scene it changes back to the potato healer. Maybe they shot the first part when one of the char was a catgirl in the script but later changed the character to a potato and didn't shoot back that scene, not sure, anyway it was weird.

Lain

They weren't walks in the park, at least Titan. People would die and wipe. Titan especially sucked as an European player because SE had fake EU servers so the lag made you get hit even if you moved before shit went off on your screen.

Mariip

I played ARR a lil bit before 2.55 came out and damn, if you didn't know the fight, titan could be really hard... i remember finishing that battle dead after 2 or 3 team wipes and i've only made it through because we've switched healers midway(i remember someone bitchin at our tank too)...so well, yeah i'd bet that battle can tilt some people

DxD

Banned
Do most people really quit XIV because they get put off by required side quests?

It is horrible.
Like the worst thing to ever happen in a MMO.
With 2 decades of MMO experiences, I couldn't believe SE forces you to complete 100+ quests to unlock expansion pack and patch updates.
It gets worse though because those required fights are pretty hard...at that current time.
So, you could be gated out of the game for the rest of your play time.

You saw how his father kept falling down from Titan punch?
Let's say that there are still worse players than a 60 yrs old man.

Quonny

Do most people really quit XIV because they get put off by required side quests?

I bought the latest expansion, and was all ready to go. I was a lapsed player from vanilla, and sure, I knew I'd have to level to catch up, but I didn't know I would have to do 200+ main quests, 145 are quests where you're at the level cap of said content, just to experience the new stuff.

Oh, and it's not like they do it for any story reason, because you can pay extra to skip the story content and get a boost.

Fuck FFXIV.

Daddy of Light is pretty fun to watch, though.

It is horrible.
Like the worst thing to ever happen in a MMO.
With 2 decades of MMO experiences, I couldn't believe SE forces you to complete 100+ quests to unlock expansion pack and patch updates.
It gets worse though because those required fights are pretty hard...at that current time.
So, you could be gated out of the game for the rest of your play time.

You saw how his father kept falling down from Titan punch?
Let's say that there are still worse players than a 60 yrs old man.

I bought the latest expansion, and was all ready to go. I was a lapsed player from vanilla, and sure, I knew I'd have to level to catch up, but I didn't know I would have to do 200+ main quests, 145 are quests where you're at the level cap of said content, just to experience the new stuff.

Oh, and it's not like they do it for any story reason, because you can pay extra to skip the story content and get a boost.

Fuck FFXIV.

Oh wow I didn't know it was that bad, I thought Daddy of Light was just taking a jab at noobs for not wanting to do a little grinding.

Guess Who

Banned
Oh wow I didn't know it was that bad, I thought Daddy of Light was just taking a jab at noobs for doing a little grinding.

Basically: Square Enix treats the main story questline as one continuous thread, so you can't start an expansion or patch's story without either having fully played the story up until the latest update (or buying a skip item for real money).

If you're playing relatively continuously it's whatever because it's not that hard to catch up, but if you've missed out for a while you can have some catching up to do. It's only a grind if you don't think the story is interesting which, in fairness, the base game story sucks (especially compared to both expansions).

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
It's really not that bad. The main scenarios of each expansion are about the same length as an offline Final Fantasy. It's only an annoyance if you just want to raid and don't care about the game. If you go in wanting to play Final Fantasy it's pretty great, albeit with a couple slow parts. These slow parts really only being a couple hours each, which is nothing in an RPG.

Fuck FFXIV.

People who miss the story are the real losers.

People who miss the story are the real losers.

The ARR story could be told in 1/4 as many quests without any meaningful loss. A lot of the ARR story quests, especially the 2.1+ stuff is just outright terrible filler. It picks up only on the very last of it once you start getting all the Heavensward stuff in place, but before that it's pretty much all garbage filler(the 2.1+ stuff I mean, the original storyline has a good amount of fillers too but some are world building so not as bad), a lot of which is slowed down by having to complete inane tasks for no reason at all, which makes it take even longer with all the riding around and clicking thing and what not(luckily the riding around has been made better, assuming you have allied seals to buy mount speed).

It's just really poorly designed for the long term and you can see they didn't like it either cause after that it's a lot different, heavensward is a lot more streamlined and has a lot less filler garbage in it, plus they actually have an interesting story to tell even after the original expansion story stopped, while ARR they probably didn't plan ahead so all of it is kinda whatever until Yugiri minor appearance and then the 2.5 stuff.

This is further compounded by Castrum being terrible for new players and I wouldn't be surprised if a large amount of new players stop playing when they reach those parts and never buy the expansions/continue playing.

Finished it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm currently near the end of ARR's MSQ, so the bonus episode surprised me with the random spoilers.

At the very least, it was much better than both the FFXV anime or movie.

Started replaying FF14 a few weeks ago. Saw this in my Netflix suggestions a few days ago and started watching it when it went life. Surprisingly decent. This show could have been so much more awkward I am glad it turned out the way it did.

pikablu

This show was surprisingly really good. It had a ton of charm!

Def seems like an ad for ff14 though but hey it made my fiance interested so maybe we'll both dive into it once destiny 2 dies down.

Astral

I just started watching this. I'm on episode 4. I keep laughing at the Lalas. I just can't take them seriously, especially the tank.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've seen the first 3 episodes for now, it's really nice honestly. Can't wait to move forward!

Top Bottom