• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - First Expansion, Spring 2015

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They should have just used "Blue Skies of Ishgard" (Souten no Ishgard).

No clue why they didn't.

studyguy

So Bangaa AREN'T the playable race?

*sulks in a corner*

More games need playable Lizardmen.

There's a reptilian race coming, but we don't know what they look like at all aside from their tails as of yet.

117ebd8f7336ccecd32bd3cc52018027c14f5285_zps7c40c4c2.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Strange title, but that's nothing new from Final Fantasy.

Interested to see what the new race will be.

duckroll

What's wrong with "towards the heavens", considering "heavens" is a totally viable alternative to "heaven"? :/

Nothing is wrong with saying "towards the heavens" as a phrase. But the word heavenward already exists, and it's not heavensward. :p

I know the REAL reason why they did this though. Because it's more effective to have a unique word as a trademark rather than a generic word. It also brings up more relevant results for people searching for content about your product. *cough*

Wagram

This was the main focus of the info announced thus far:

- Ishgard. focus on Dragoons vs Dragons. (Knights of the round hinted as well)
- Level cap of all classes to 60.
- New areas. (Apparently very large compared to current size.)
- New race - Viangaa? (NOPE it is not) The yet to be announced race will have two genders.
- New job(s).
- New Primals. (Some all new to XIV)
- New Dungeons + High-End Raids.
- Airships Galore? (FC can build airships and more)
- New Gear and Recipes.
- and more to come.

Spring 2015.

Ishgard art style is focused on a more dark mature look.
One new area is called The Dravanian Forelands.
Floating islands in the sky can be visited. They wonder how.
Chocobo Forests are in.
New beast tribe dailies in the new areas.
Special Odin battle for fanfest, it is not exclusive to fanfest forever though.

More to come at London Fanfest. Focus will be on new jobs. Oct 25th.

IIRC Eorzean lore hints that there are multiple echelons on heavenly realms, just as there are seven "hells." There's plurality in the name.

Kintaro

Man, they could not have picked a worse place to good than Ishgard. Every single interaction with Ishgardians in Coerthas was dreadful. =( It's like San D'oria 2.0

I REALLY liked what little i played of the game, but..
I pay my monthly wow. I pay my games, so another month fee would be out of question since i'd be able to dedicate too little time...

Wilsongt

Man, they could not have picked a worse place to good than Ishgard. Every single interaction with Ishgardians in Coerthas was dreadful. =( It's like San D'oria 2.0

They mentioned that in Keynote. It's for a reason. Something about hating outsiders.

Akuosa

That's nonsense because that's not how language works. There being multiple heavens is irrelevant because you can only go towards one general location at a time. There are cities all over the world, but the word is still cityward, not citiesward. :p
English is not my first language, so I'm probably not the best to say anything about this, but maybe they're going for something like "The Heavens", so if you are aiming to reach them, not just a particular one, it sounds fine to me?

Kintaro

They mentioned that in Keynote. It's for a reason. Something about hating outsiders.

Oh, I got that. They hit you upside the face with it in Coerthas. It makes for terrible play experience. Also, Elezens. Everywhere. Fugly stuff. Religious, outsider hating freaks. No one likes dealing with them IRL, no one likes them in their games. =P

Yup, I'm coming back next year SE. You got me. my Lalafell Healer will be making his return...on PS4 of course....when I get one.

Reveirg

I love the logo. So hyped for this, now I gotta come back and catch up 2.1-2.4.

Oh and they heavily hinted at Knights of the Round... First time we'll see them since FFVII.

Whatever happenned to the promised Gold Saucer by the way?

SkyOdin

Nothing is wrong with saying "towards the heavens" as a phrase. But the word heavenward already exists, and it's not heavensward. :p

I know the REAL reason why they did this though. Because it's more effective to have a unique word as a trademark rather than a generic word. It also brings up more relevant results for people searching for content about your product. *cough*

Given the wierd faux-shakespearian English dialect they use in Final Fantasy XIV's dialog, it fits perfectly. For example, they use the word "anyroad" instead of "anyway" and "vilekin" instead of "insect". There is almost no straight use of common English words for objects if they can avoid it. Whenever they use the terms "hell" or "heaven" in the dialogue, it is always plural: "bloody hells" for example. So the expansion title was probably chosen to match that Eorzean dialect.

So yeah, it makes no sense for real world English, but the English localization team has not yet shown any interest in using real world English so far.

SkyOdin

Okay, after seeing the trailer, that is definitely the Dragoon AF2 armor they showed the artwork for a few months ago. I guess we will have to wait for the expansion to get the Artifact 2 gear.

Taruranto

Wonder if it will revamp endgame significantly or they'll just swap Coil for 1 new raid and everything else will stay the same.

Zomba13

So if Main Character Trailer Guy is a DRG now does that mean the next trailer is going to have him run into an AoE and die?

Grotesk

Neo Member
I haven't played for a couple of months but that trailer made me hyped. Looking forward to all the new content... I'll probably have to resub for 2.4 now after getting myself excited about the game again.

Really curious about the new jobs, too.

Vashetti

Banned
No offense to those playing on PS3, but I hope so.

Me too. To be fair, they are very generously offering a free upgrade to the PS4 version until the end of this year. People should take advantage of that before the PS3 version is left behind.

The first expansion was assured to have PS3 support.
They said they would play it by ear after that.

That's disappointing. I'm sure in recent patches, several features have been PS4/PC only because the PS3 is too hardware constrained.

Pretty sure we can't currently have flying mounts because of the PS3.

Zomba13

I wonder if they will take this opportunity to cut off PS3 support.

I remember they spoke about it previously.

I hope they cut it off sooner than FFXI and PS2 support (not been on it in ages, is PS2 support cut by now?). The PS2 held FFXI back so much and they had to come up with a bunch of ways to get around limitations so players could continue to play on PS2. It'd be nice if the only constraint was the PS4 which is pretty beefy even outside of consoles and shouldn't really provide any limitations as to what could be done in the future.

Aeana

Oh, they said "viangaa" because it looks like a cross between viera and bangaa I guess. It looks cute, either way.

studyguy

Me too. To be fair, they are very generously offering a free upgrade to the PS4 version until the end of this year. People should take advantage of that before the PS3 version is left behind.

That's disappointing. I'm sure in recent patches, several features have been PS4/PC only because the PS3 is too hardware constrained.

Pretty sure we can't currently have flying mounts because of the PS3.

They sounded pretty adamant about moving on and Yoshida recognized the limitations of the PS3. I recall him saying that the PS2 caused a bevy of issues for XI that he wanted to hopefully avoid. The PS4 has been selling extremely well so we can only hope that they move fast. That PS3-PS4 upgrade offer lasts till DEC so...

Kintaro

They sounded pretty adamant about moving on and Yoshida recognized the limitations of the PS3. I recall him saying that the PS2 caused a bevy of issues for XI that he wanted to hopefully avoid. The PS4 has been selling extremely well so we can only hope that they move fast. That PS3-PS4 upgrade offer lasts till DEC so...

Bwahahaha. In Japan? No. PS3 will be around for awhile yet.

Top Bottom