• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Yoshi P interview on Famitsu this week for the anniversary with a bunch of 4.0 info. They seem to be looking into how auto attacks work and are gonna adjust job difficulties again.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
There's an option to reorder gear sets in the UI. I think you just have to right click on the gearset and then the option is on that menu.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4ze6uq/teaser_of_the_ffxiv_3_year_anniversary_21_page/

They are going to hugely change the difficulty of using each of the jobs when the expansion releases, such as the ease/reduction of management of buffs and they are going to make the characteristics of each job shine more.

Although he cannot clearly say when it'll be implemented, they are going to make changes to auto attacks in general. Yoshida believes the clear rate of Midas savage would have been drastically higher if the rotations of each DPS class remained the same as level 50, but since the changes to the difficulty of each job have to wait until 4.0, instead they will balance the 3.4 raid itself to make it easier for now.

tumblr_mhqc9iSDIg1qed7g8o2_400.gif

Valor

I'm okay with job overhauls, but are they blaming the players or themselves for the midas clear rate? If rotations were the same as 50 it would be higher they think. So did they fuck the rotatos and make them shit? Too complicated? Too unintuitive? Or is this another git gud scr00bs being tossed out by Yoship? I wonder.

Expansion is a good time to rework the jobs and stuff, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do. I'm sure we're gonna get some insight at fanfest.

I'm okay with job overhauls, but are they blaming the players or themselves for the midas clear rate? If rotations were the same as 50 it would be higher they think. So did they fuck the rotatos and make them shit? Too complicated? Too unintuitive? Or is this another git gud scr00bs being tossed out by Yoship? I wonder.

Expansion is a good time to rework the jobs and stuff, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do. I'm sure we're gonna get some insight at fanfest.
It sounds like they are blaming themselves since he says with simpler rotations people would be able to clear more. From my experience, optimization in Midas can be a bitch, not entirely sure it would be that significant but eh

Allard

The way I took it, the rotations got more complex and thus it became harder for players to react to mechanics while maintaining maximum damage. Rotations could break due to bad timing of skill rotation, but they planned fights around max damage and weaving in and out of mechanics as they come, thus there was more work in understanding a fight not because of the mechanics themselves, but how each individual job had to respond to them somewhat differently due to changes in job complexity. Not all jobs have these issues, and I would say most of the jobs actually gained more tools to combat mechanics on the go, but some jobs like say BLM and SMN and even DRG, got new tools that became a major part of their rotation that could disappear if used at the wrong time and thus limit their dps during key mechanics.

I personally do not have a problem with the complexity of the rotation and in the end balancing is always a never ending battle and imo is entirely subjective. Some people focus on different things. In the end I just want rewarding encounters and jobs that are fun and unique. I am willing to see what direction that goes.

ebil

They're not blaming anyone, he's just stating facts there. They made rotations more complicated and most people are struggling with their 4.0 rotation to the point they're feeling like they're fighting their rotation moreso than the boss during the encounters. They're also tuning Savage around something like 85% performance compared to an optimal rotation and uptime, but even that is hard to reach for most raiders. It's obvious that we'd see more clears if the rotations were simpler.

I guess they got aware of an issue that I saw coming as soon as Yoshida mentioned that the gap between good and bad players would become bigger when he was teasing 3.0: the gap actually became a huge gulf, and it took away a lot of willingness to even raid for a lot of lower-skill players. During the 2.0 days, a bad player would do around 50-60% of the damage of a good player. Now it's often as low as 20%, and I commonly see players doing less DPS than what we were doing at ilv130...

I'm personally attracted to the more complex / higher skill ceiling classes in MMOs, but cutting down on the rotations to maintain solid encounter design would probably be healthy for this game.

Complexity is fine, the problem is making most DPS jobs need the fight knowledge of a BLM. Using a buff the moment prior to a boss downtime because you skipped something is a shitty feeling, doubly so if its a buff you need to maintain. Makes fights too punishing, add deaths and stuff like High Wire and it can be too overwhelming.

High Wire as a mechanic can DIAF. I'm tired of clearing with 2-3 stacks each week because melees are tunneling.
Thats if your group can even survive triple Sparks at two stacks. Just fucking wipe me at that point instead of assuming I have 5 VIT melds and wasting 8 minutes of my time.

aceface

So I got around to doing that post MSQ quest from the last patch...the one where you retrace all your steps from the Heavensward story....and Y'shtola's sister dropped this bit of info MEGATON SPOILERS
Y'shtola is blind??? I guess it was kind obvious but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the cutscenes a lot of the time. So I guess she's manipulating the Aether around herself like a bat so she can see and it's going to have dire consequences D:

I wonder if these GC NPCs can use weapon combos and stuff. Like if I can take them into dungeons how will they perform versus your average rando DF member (that's even assuming they can be taken into normal dungeons and isn't just a misinterpretation).

So I got around to doing that post MSQ quest from the last patch...the one where you retrace all your steps from the Heavensward story....and Y'shtola's sister dropped this bit of info MEGATON SPOILERS
Y'shtola is blind??? I guess it was kind obvious but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the cutscenes a lot of the time. So I guess she's manipulating the Aether around herself like a bat so she can see and it's going to have dire consequences D:

That was revealed way before that. I'm pretty sure there's a conversation between Y'shotal and Matoya where she explicitly states what she's doing.

Also if they're looking into buff management/cutting out bloat I'd look at all the skills that provide really minimal boosts, stuff that adds things like +5% damage or some of the cross-class skills.

Buffs like Berserk for example are good, the effect is easily noticeable and it feels good to use it because you know that you're about to hit for some big numbers. Stuff like Internal Release, Hot shot and others feel lame to use mostly because the effect does not feel potent. Roll all of this into less skills that are more potent and have more noticeable effects, I'm sure this must be what they're looking at if they're going to condense things down and make each job's uniqueness shine through.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hot Shot helps to pace the job. If you want to point out skill bloat on MCH, look no further than Rend Mind+Dismantle.

That was discussed as soon as you found her. I think it was Matoya that first noticed and called her out on it.

preta

I've tried it briefly in the past, but now I'm looking to get into FFXIV just to play through for the story and overall "experience", not focusing on endgame/side stuff (at least at first). I just unlocked airship travel - about how long is the main story + Heavensward?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I've tried it briefly in the past, but now I'm looking to get into FFXIV just to play through for the story and overall "experience", not focusing on endgame/side stuff (at least at first). I just unlocked airship travel - about how long is the main story + Heavensward?
About 119 hours.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'd ballpark it to 150 if you're watching all the cutscenes and all. 100 is a speedrun variant.

Did A4S for the first time since 3.1.
Wow it's ResidentSleeper.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's a lot of cut scenes.

And many of them have Alphinaud, and any cut scene with Alphinaud will spend at least 3 hours conducting an emergency meeting of the mutual admiration society where he and other NPC's will talk about how honored they are to talk to eachother.

Wilsongt

There's a lot of cut scenes.

And many of them have Alphinaud, and any cut scene with Alphinaud will spend at least 3 hours conducting an emergency meeting of the mutual admiration society where he and other NPC's will talk about how honored they are to talk to eachother.

Hey now. Alphi gets a lot better in HW.

Pachimari

I can't remember how to sign up for a Free Company. I'm using the shortcut (crtl+f) but nothing happens. Where do I find the FC menu, so I can search for GAF's FC?

Squishy3

I can't remember how to sign up for a Free Company. I'm using the shortcut (crtl+f) but nothing happens. Where do I find the FC menu, so I can search for GAF's FC?
There isn't a FC search menu, just do a blank player search and look for someone with the GAF tag, then right click on them and view company profile. Then you can submit an application.

Qvoth

just read about the supposed balanced changes
i enjoy the current blm, but i will admit that i hated it when i 1st got to 60

Thorgal

While I am excited at job changes as much as the next man I can't really think of any real changes that monk would need.

Just give me a fourth GL stack and even faster cooldowns and I would be satisfied.

Pachimari

Can a security token only be registered one time?

Because my old one won't register anymore. So I used my second security token for my account.

I also sent an application to our FC on Ultros.

Can a security token only be registered one time?

Because my old one won't register anymore. So I used my second security token for my account.

I also sent an application to our FC on Ultros.

The actual physical keyfobs? Yes, they can only be used once ever. If you disconnect it, it can never be reconnected. This is for security purposes.

You should just move to the iOS or Android app. Those can be disconnected and reconnected over and over by just reinstalling the app.

Pachimari

I'll just throw out the old one.

Nah, I had the security token on my phone before, and that one broke, so I had to call in support to remove it. Anyway, I always have my physical token at my computer, while my phone is always lying around somewhere else. More convenient with the physical one.

tgl3

Neo Member
While I am excited at job changes as much as the next man I can't really think of any real changes that monk would need.

Just give me a fourth GL stack and even faster cooldowns and I would be satisfied.

Please no, my TP cannot take going even faster.

Thorgal

Please no, my TP cannot take going even faster.
That's something that will need to be addressed really soon.

Other classes are starting to suffer from it too.

Either our skills Tp cost needs to be lowered or Tp value needs to be raised higher.

Even with Tp restoring skills, monk is burning through it too fast imo.

Ken

dear diary

today i ran weeping city with a summoner that didn't aetherflow or use a summon

and a ninja that single target doton

and they were both on my alliance :(

Wilsongt

dear diary

today i ran weeping city with a summoner that didn't aetherflow or use a summon

and a ninja that single target doton

and they were both on my alliance :(

I ran several dungons with a bard that didn't foes with a smn and a dpsing sch in the party. Ans they were from my fc.

Then I ran a dusk city with a thm. Yes thm. No crystal equpped. They were kicked.

Top Bottom