• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubius01

Well, I'm halfway done with this step now at least.

MZBx3UY.png

Tagged along with a farming party for like an hour and a half last night and finally got the three lightning crystals.

I'm so so sorry

Well, I'm halfway done with this step now at least.

MZBx3UY.png

Tagged along with a farming party for like an hour and a half last night and finally got the three lightning crystals.

If you want the last rank, go for it. The Maelstrom coat is cool.
If this is the anima 1st step this ain't nothing, compared to some of the later ones:/

One step was so bad it killed my desire to play the game and I unsubbed for 7 months.

I'm so so sorry

If this is the anima 1st step this ain't nothing, compared to some of the later ones:/

One step was so bad it killed my desire to play the game and I unsubbed for 7 months.

Yeah, it is. I've read about what comes after it, so I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into. No idea how far I'll actually bother going with it in the end.

Spamming fates isn't my idea of a good time.

scy

That's the most depressing thing I have read about this game in a while. Is it even possible to simplify the gear any more in this game?

For what it's worth, there's room to "simplify" gear in the sense of being less vague about stats. It's a lot easier to know how much secondaries matter when you actually have an idea of what they represent in real increases and not "neat, I now have 46 SSPD and before had 0."

...because, yeah, I'm not entirely sure what room they have to simplify things, especially if they're removing Accuracy.

Simplify the gear 'cause it's too complicated for some people, simplify the skills 'cause they're too complicated for some people... seeing a pattern.

Eh. There's a lot of people asking about how to stat their relics or have no real concept of BiS or stats in general so it's not terribly surprising. The discrepancy that exists between players, without any gear differences, is certainly a thing; the amount of people who think they're doing everything "perfect" since there's no real feedback system is definitely a thing they've been wanting to target. Whether or not it gets people to actively care is another thing, however.

It's hard to see raising the floor as anything but a good thing for most people, really. Until actual information hits, it's also hard to see it as a case of the skill ceiling come crashing down. There's a chance they take it too far but for most part, it's probably for the best to shrink the gap in the playerbase rather than making it wider.

iammeiam

That's the most depressing thing I have read about this game in a while. Is it even possible to simplify the gear any more in this game? Simplify the gear 'cause it's too complicated for some people, simplify the skills 'cause they're too complicated for some people... seeing a pattern.

Gear right now is kind of the worst of both worlds--things like skill speed and spell speed thresholds aren't actually spelled out anywhere, Parry is a straight up garbage stat, Accuracy is a secret number that has to be uncovered every raid tier and has basically doomed healers to melding a ton given they no longer get accuracy on gear, secondary stat inflation is becoming a thing, etc etc etc.

Like with skill streamlining, a lot is going to depend on how dumb they think we are, essentially. You can kind of trace a solid line through the expansion of them trying to find a level the player base is comfortable with (A3S stress because of DPS and mechanics got us Thordan EX or 'DPS Doesn't Matter Just Do The Mechanics Already', people loved it which got us Midas' relatively lenient DPS checks but heavy mechanics checks, it bombed out (in part because Thordan let you die a million times and clear, Midas did not), which gave us Creator's relatively lenient all the things, which was a huge success, which probably gave us Zurvan.) Ideally all the streamlining and changing they're doing will let them actually focus in on turning the SB content cycle into escalating difficulty that the player base will feel engaged/challenged by, as opposed to what happened in HW.

I'd love to see them get more creative with gear, but all of Heavensward has basically been a lesson to the dev team to keep it simple, and if dumbing down the gear side of things ultimately lets them focus on delivering satisfying content it's probably worth it. The options we have now aren't really options anyway. If you don't raid you have one gearset. If you do raid, your job probably has a pretty concrete BiS you're aiming for and most of your gear-up path to BiS is just going to be meeting acc caps.

ebil

I realize I'm going to say a lot of the same things, but I'll have to quote myself from a few pages back.

Not necessarily. That bit could refer to simplifying the way information is displayed to make it more obvious what the best item is. FF14's secondary stats are very obfuscated and everyone could do with having a crit% or a haste% or a parry% displayed instead of having random numbers that don't relate to anything measurable ingame (and that's even before taking thresholds into account). Making information more clear to everyone would be a huge way of streamlining gear choices, especially if they end up removing variables such as Accuracy.

That would at least stop players from saying nonsense such as "I'm above 1000 crit now so I think I'm okay and can start adding skill speed".

Edit: oh, yeah, and maybe they'll make secondaries scale sensibly while they're at it, even though I realize that's complicated.

I'd love to see them get more creative with gear, but all of Heavensward has basically been a lesson to the dev team to keep it simple, and if dumbing down the gear side of things ultimately lets them focus on delivering satisfying content it's probably worth it. The options we have now aren't really options anyway. If you don't raid you have one gearset. If you do raid, your job probably has a pretty concrete BiS you're aiming for and most of your gear-up path to BiS is just going to be meeting acc caps.
Pretty much. Gearing needs to be either really simple or complex, yet XIV tries this stupid in-between that only really takes the worst of each approach. Customization is a lie unless you're a healer, but you're still forced into certain gear paths because of how shitty substats are and in the end it's all an illusion of progression which leads to weird shit like lower ilvl gear being better than higher ilvl gear because some moron decided to put parry in tank gear again.

Making it more complex would be ideal in my eyes because I enjoy that kind of stuff but making it simples is a much, much better alternative than the current garbage system.

scy

I realize I'm going to say a lot of the same things, but I'll have to quote myself from a few pages back.

I was actually going to remark on the whole "I have X stat, time to switch!" but realized it'd basically be rewording a thing you said the other day.
I basically still reworded a thing you said the other day but now only 90%.

...but you're still forced into certain gear paths because of how shitty substats are and in the end it's all an illusion of progression which leads to weird shit like lower ilvl gear being better than higher ilvl gear because some moron decided to put parry in tank gear again.

Pour one out for DRKs everywhere.

AwShucks

Two questions...First, can somebody add you as a friend if you are not currently subscribed? Second, if you can, would anyone be willing to add me and do the whole "Invite friend to return" thing (the Callback Campaign)? I wonder if you can invite free company members to return or just people on your friend list, as I am in the free company. Needles Kane is my character name.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can we remove some of the tokens at least? 4 springs for a 250 chest piece. 1 farthing, 1 penny and 1 shilling for a gobtwine. Gobtwine + chest piece = 270 gear. Not to mention gobcoats. Oh and if you hunt then it's 6 Legendary Clan Mark Logs for a Gobtwine but 4 Legendary Clan mark Logs for gobcoat I mean jesus christ. This is the real end game complexity.

scy

I wonder how many DRKs out there managed to drop a Coven sword with Parry in it

Must be a super cool feeling.

h1dXazq.png

Can we remove some of the tokens at least? 4 springs for a 250 chest piece. 1 farthing, 1 penny and 1 shilling for a gobtwine. Gobtwine + chest piece = 270 gear. Not to mention gobcoats. Oh and if you hunt then it's 6 Legendary Clan Mark Logs for a Gobtwine but 5 Legendary Clan mark Logs for gobcoat I mean jesus christ. This is the real end game complexity.

Or at least a fucking bag to hold all of this crap.

Edzi

So, after finishing the 2.0 MSQ, should my number 1 priority be grinding out MSQ missions or should I also be tackling some of the optional stuff like the legendary weapon quest and primal fights? I feel kind of aimless atm.

So, after finishing the 2.0 MSQ, should my number 1 priority be grinding out MSQ missions or should I also be tackling some of the optional stuff like the legendary weapon quest and primal fights? I feel kind of aimless atm.
Break it up with some bosses and hard dungeons, this shit is brutally long.

draw4wild

So I'm sitting at ilvl210ish for Summoner and Machinist from hunt gear. Decided to work on an anima so no Lore gear:( I already have the unidentified items, the crafted items from gc and 20+ vilekins

What are the raids I can join without worrying about being new? Are the old ex primals all face roll quick? I never got 7 other people to pass Titan ex but can I join a WT party finder and get my clear? They always locked the other EX trials behind him so I never got to even try the rest, are they still locked? Bahamuts Coil? Bismarck/Ravana EX? Which are the best places to safely hit up for WT at this time due to overgearing? I'd eventually like to learn one of the EX to try for a lanner? Who's easiest, Bismarck?

Also Thinking about just throwing up a PF and advertising bonus for a Gordias and Midas clear, can I just DF them?

So I'm sitting at ilvl210ish for Summoner and Machinist from hunt gear. Decided to work on an anima so no Lore gear:( I already have the unidentified items, the crafted items from gc and 20+ vilekins

What are the raids I can join without worrying about being new? Are the old ex primals all face roll quick? I never got 7 other people to pass Titan ex but can I join a WT party finder and get my clear? They always locked the other EX trials behind him so I never got to even try the rest, are they still locked? Bahamuts Coil? Bismarck/Ravana EX? Which are the best places to safely hit up for WT at this time due to overgearing? I'd eventually like to learn one of the EX to try for a lanner? Who's easiest, Bismarck?

Also Thinking about just throwing up a PF and advertising bonus for a Gordias and Midas clear, can I just DF them?

Ive done two raids on the finder and the second once was absurdly easy. Like hide behind a rock once was about all I think I needed to know. saying that this is ARR raids..

All the primals apart from Mog extreme and Odin have been faceroll as well.

suzu

Do the Heavensward 24-man raids. Void Ark, Weeping City of Mhach, and Dun Scaith. Check your PF for WT parties doing Ex primals. They are easy even with a few new people. Most people won't mind either because they get WT bonus.

Key Items is criminally underused. There are a bunch of things that should go in there but go in your inventory instead.

It's basically another set of bags that I can't use for whatever reason.

New interview here.

There's some good info.

Paladins getting improved magic defense.

We will find out who the lady in red is in two weeks (interview was done a week ago so that's next week).

Focusing on increasing how many assets can be shown on screen at once in addition to other improvements and upgrades.

Voice overs are longer than in Heavensward so will probably be longer than Heavensward.

As for Return to Ivalice, you should brush up on Final Fantasy Tactics' lore.

Media tour and Live Letter Broadcasts being planned to share new information to players regarding battle system changes, new job actions, system changes, PvP, etc.

Haly

Wrong woman in red.

Best woman in red.

400px-Red_mage_concept_art1.png

She must not be forgotten.

Important news here is that they realize that Paladin having shite magic defense is a terrible idea.

But it's really really really important that my Zodiac glass takes one space in my inventory!

Maybe the increased inventory space he was talking about is letting us use Key Items?

Probably not but they should seriously use that space for a lot more things.

Every new interview by Yoshi P just looks like the guy is tired of this shite, lol. I feel for the guy... he has so much hate on his back and he gets asked the most stupid questions at events.

Haly

I can't wait for 6 more AST cards in Stormblood.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
When's HW wrapping up?

I got to 60WAR and ilvl245 and stopped just as 3.5 released
There was 3.55 in March no?

Any more stuff coming?

Thinking of coming back in late April and have a 4 month sub till late August (hoping Destiny 2 is September release)
Got amazon funny money, so can buy 2, 60 day time cards

Buy next expansion as big summer purchase
At least I'll catch up to end game hopefully!

Just found this out today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/60nkzg/question_about_stormblood_digital_coming_from/

Apparently on PS4 if you have the disc but don't want the hassle to swap it every time, just go to PSN, download the trial and log in with your account.

No need for the disc anymore :D

If this was already known for PS4 players, i apologise...

I was confused when people said it needed to be in, I havent had it in since I installed then I ejected it by mistake and the game booted up fine!

When's HW wrapping up?

I got to 60WAR and ilvl245 and stopped just as 3.5 released
There was 3.55 in March no?

Any more stuff coming?

Thinking of coming back in late April and have a 4 month sub till late August (hoping Destiny 2 is September release)
Got amazon funny money, so can buy 2, 60 day time cards

Buy next expansion as big summer purchase
At least I'll catch up to end game hopefully!

There's 3.56 with the final bit of pre-Stormblood main story that'll probably drop next week, and then I think there's supposed to be a 3.57 too between then and June but I'm not sure what that will contain.

Haly

I'd still memorize them all! What would they do though? We already have dmg down, dmg up, tp up, attack speed and cd up and mp up.
Depends on what they do with Ewer and Spire. They could do:

Phys damage up
Magic damage up
Skill speed up
Spell speed up
TP up
MP up
Phys damage reduction
Magic damage reduction
Cooldown faster
Crit rate up

uuuuuh

HP up xd

dabig2

Finally got my 1st class to 50 (WAR). I did it in a really tedious though. I'm so scared of tanking dungeons since I'm on the PS4, that I allotted all the MSQ and sidequest completion EXP to WAR while running through the dungeons with my DPS classes, whom I also had to make sure were similarly leveled (NIN and DRG are both almost 47). It's worked fine up to now and I still need to finish the last couple missions of the MSQ in ARR, but the grind has been crazy.

Guess I'll have to learn how to tank dungeons with the controller, especially since I would like to continue leveling my WAR and upgrading its armor. Helps that I do also use a keyboard, so at least I have an extra hotbar showing that corresponds to the numpad so I'm not fumbling all the time with the controller buttons. Might need to look into some macros though. I just have a marking one and a panic healing one. All these job and class abilities/skills are starting to become cumbersome to manage separately, lol.

Edzi

Finally got my 1st class to 50 (WAR). I did it in a really tedious though. I'm so scared of tanking dungeons since I'm on the PS4, that I allotted all the MSQ and sidequest completion EXP to WAR while running through the dungeons with my DPS classes, whom I also had to make sure were similarly leveled (NIN and DRG are both almost 47). It's worked fine up to now and I still need to finish the last couple missions of the MSQ in ARR, but the grind has been crazy.

Guess I'll have to learn how to tank dungeons with the controller, especially since I would like to continue leveling my WAR and upgrading its armor. Helps that I do also use a keyboard, so at least I have an extra hotbar showing that corresponds to the numpad so I'm not fumbling all the time with the controller buttons. Might need to look into some macros though. I just have a marking one and a panic healing one. All these job and class abilities/skills are starting to become cumbersome to manage separately, lol.

I'm sticking with Warrior and loving it. I can't even imagine trying to seriously juggle more than one class tbh.

Korezo

Im missing 2 lvl 60 dungeons and finished the campaign quests, I have duty roulette expert unlocked but not the duty roulette 60. Don't know where it can be.

duckroll

DS: There has been a lot of speculation about the name of the new raid “Return to Ivalice.” Is the name just homage to Yasumi Matsuno who will design the raid, or there is more to it?

NY: It’s definitely not an homage. It also depends on how the players will interpret it when they’ll actually enter the raid. In terms of the world of Ivalice, and whether or not it is connected to the realm of Final Fantasy XIV, it’s still a mystery, and that’s something that you will have to enjoy while playing the scenario.

All I can say is that I encourage people to get an idea from Final Fantasy Tactics, and sort of brief themselves on that lore.

Omg omg omg omg.

Will GAF's guild house move to the new housing area in Stormblood? I hope so. I want a change of scenery, and what else is better than a chinese theme?

Haly

Thundergod Cid Ex clear party, no bonus
390 ilvl required
Skip soar or disband

eliza0224

I had to format my PS4 since the Mass Effect download was fucked up (power outage. Twice.). I made a backup of FFXIV on my external HDD before I formatted BUT I didn't notice the whole ~40gbs weren't there... only the 13gb base of ARR...

Now I gotta endure the shitty patch downloads all over again 😭😭😭

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom