• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Try bathing your lalafell in a dye that makes them invisible or come out as a better race.

Tomat

Pretty sure HW got the same treatment more or less. Yoshi and co are secretive about stuff in general.

Guess Who

Banned
I also wouldn't be surprised if they've been making job changes and adjustments up until the last minute and didn't want to say anything that wasn't basically final.

iammeiam

It is kind of funny that BLM's Sleep apparently survives the skill bloat pruning; that getting punted off to PVP skill land would have made a ton of sense, but it's on Yoshida's hotbar and active. It makes sense in that dropping it would require reworking one of the THM job quests, IIRC, but not being able to prune something just because it comes from a job quest is going to be problematic.

i.e. if they do that Dismantle and Rend Mind are still going to be two separate buttons. :|

HW Ability Document; it was started a month or so before Early Access and updated pretty frequently with every article and preview and interview people could find in the run-up to EA.

The BLM stuff was all fairly well-defined in advance, but looking at MCH alone is a solid indicator of how sparse information was/how much stuff changed around:
Reload - Loads 5 ”Ammunition" into your gun, which can be used for attacks. 1 minute cooldown. Some abilities cost 3 ammo, some cost 1.

Rapid Fire - Uses Ammo, large damage.

??? [Reassemble?] - Can upgrade guns with different barrels (is a skill, not an item. Acts like ninja poison.) for different effects. Stay active until you turn them off, but things cost more TP.

Or the original understanding of Tetra:
Tetragrammaton - Instantly heals target for 50% of hp.

Or the original understanding of Spire/Ewer:
20% TP Cost Reduction (3) Card name: Spire
20% MP Cost Reduction (4) Card name: Ewer

Not to mention that stuff like the Holy/Flare/Manawall/Manaward nerfs were surprises discovered at E3 days before Early Access.

The big hope is that tomorrow gives us sort of a high-level view of major changes, but it's likely that a decent chunk of what we get will be incomplete or flat-out wrong.

yami4ct

Stormblood hype is real.

Really weird how secretive they've been about this though. That can't be good for marketing.

They've been doing a ton of marketing with the new classes and story stuff, and frankly that's the bulk of what the marketing needs to be. If you want to get new people in, or get casual returning players, that's the stuff you sell them. The nitty gritty detailed class changes are really more for the serious players already invested in the game, and they'll likely resub regardless. It's more important to get those changes right than to push out all that information at once way ahead of time.

Also if you push that stuff too early, you risk that information torrent pushing away new players who are looking to sub because they saw a cool new story trailer.

dramatis

It is kind of funny that BLM's Sleep apparently survives the skill bloat pruning; that getting punted off to PVP skill land would have made a ton of sense, but it's on Yoshida's hotbar and active. It makes sense in that dropping it would require reworking one of the THM job quests, IIRC, but not being able to prune something just because it comes from a job quest is going to be problematic.
Abilities like Sleep, Repose, pushback skills/heavy infliction skills are intended for enemy management in solo play. It's the reason why pretty much every class except tanks come with at least one.

Mr_PinkFloyd

Neo Member
i just finished HW (main scenario) last week and my current iLVL its 181, what i should be doing?

im just farming tomes for the 230 armor atm

Any Advice? im just trying to figure it out on what to focus now

(i started to play earlier this year)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Unless you're allergic to PVP I'd go for the 235 Garo gear and save the tomestones for other stuff like anima or mats to sell.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
New Enochian
30s CD
5% damage up, unlocks Fire IV and Blizzard IV like before
Now requires AF or UI to be up and fades if you lose AF and UI
After 30 seconds of being up applies Polyglot
What that is is unknown.

Tomat

So it's the same as before except potentially even more punishing if you can't maintain it?

Need more details.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So it's the same as before except potentially even more punishing if you can't maintain it?

Need more details.

It's not punishing at all in the same sense as it is now, it's up for as long as your AF/UI is up (which basically means always) and its purpose is now centered around this new mechanic that we know nothing about.

Tomat

Ohhh, misunderstood. So it's not on its own timer anymore. Got it.

That's pretty much what they hinted at then. Good find.

Wonder if Polyglot enables spell combos. Polyglot relates to someone knowing multiple languages or a language made up of other languages.

Or maybe it'll let you use one powerful spell only after you get polyglot, kind of like a new flare.

Or or maybe it combines Astral and Umbral benefits somehow.

Or or or maybe I'm wrong about everything.

Sorian

Banned

i.e. if they do that Dismantle and Rend Mind are still going to be two separate buttons. :|

HW Ability Document; it was started a month or so before Early Access and updated pretty frequently with every article and preview and interview people could find in the run-up to EA.

The BLM stuff was all fairly well-defined in advance, but looking at MCH alone is a solid indicator of how sparse information was/how much stuff changed around:

Or the original understanding of Tetra:

Or the original understanding of Spire/Ewer:

Not to mention that stuff like the Holy/Flare/Manawall/Manaward nerfs were surprises discovered at E3 days before Early Access.

The big hope is that tomorrow gives us sort of a high-level view of major changes, but it's likely that a decent chunk of what we get will be incomplete or flat-out wrong.

Why would you take away my sleep spell? Do you think I actually kill mobs for beast tribe quests? If the objective is to grab the thing behind them then they sleep while I loot and scoot. Angary pls

IvorB

They don't need to touch Sleep. BLM is easy: Sure Cast, consolidate Thunder and Apopo-whatever spell that I've never even used once, even to check it out. Job done.

Thorgal

Character(s) update pics time !

ffxiv_21052017_205820fajx5.jpg

ffxiv_22052017_010556jlkv9.jpg

iammeiam

They don't need to touch Sleep. BLM is easy: Sure Cast, consolidate Thunder and Apopo-whatever spell that I've never even used once, even to check it out. Job done.

Wait, are you seriously suggesting they get rid of Apocatastasis? That's like the one utility thing BLM brings to a group! That and apparently purple virus now.

They appear to have removed a Thunder and potentially added another one, Sure Cast does seem to be missing, but you got to keep Freeze.

So I'll retract my slander of Sleep if the hardcore BLMs are all for it--I'm just used to feeding a chocobo to anything when running around solo.

IvorB

Wait, are you seriously suggesting they get rid of Apocatastasis? That's like the one utility thing BLM brings to a group! That and apparently purple virus now.

They appear to have removed a Thunder and potentially added another one, Sure Cast does seem to be missing, but you got to keep Freeze.

So I'll retract my slander of Sleep if the hardcore BLMs are all for it--I'm just used to feeding a chocobo to anything when running around solo.

Utility? BLM ain't got time for that :). The effect seems really specific and narrow. Always wondered what the point of it was. I'm a fan of Freeze so that's good news.

They did a test stream several hours ago. Showed off a few things and let slip some others.

Ah right.

Sorian

Banned
Utility? BLM ain't got time for that :). The effect seems really specific and narrow. Always wondered what the point of it was. I'm a fan of Freeze so that's good news.

Decrease the main source of damage that people will see by 20% for 10 seconds isn't really narrow. Can be timed with some tank busters, can also be a good save if someone is weakened for an upcoming known raid buster.

all this new ability info from translations is fine and dandy but where's my translation of yoko taro's response to the automata crossover fanart

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/866285760692887552

also have some yotsuyu fanart that doesn't involve her stepping on people

https://twitter.com/slgsn_xxx/status/864495236428382208

Wow, I didn't know how much I wanted this.

iammeiam

It's a 20% magic damage reduction on a party member; if you're doing anything that hits decently hard, it's pretty useful. Lots of potential raid applications. And even in stuff like 24-mans, if you know some genius in your party has Brink and crap gear and a big raid-wide magic attack is coming out, you dump it on them and maybe spare the healers the annoyance of getting them back up. Because somehow it will be your group's only melee so they're needed for melee lb3.

I imagine it falls into the same buck as Eye for an Eye, in terms of really nice-to-have stuff that doesn't get used nearly enough.

Ken

all this new ability info from translations is fine and dandy but where's my translation of yoko taro's response to the automata crossover fanart

2B, 9S, 21O, Adam and Engel are already official Final Fantasy characters like Ariana Grande so I don't see a XIV collab being impossible.

IvorB

Decrease the main source of damage that people will see by 20% for 10 seconds isn't really narrow. Can be timed with some tank busters, can also be a good save if someone is weakened for an upcoming known raid buster.

Had to google what the thing did since I'd actually completely forgotten it's existence until recently. Does 20% magic vulnerability actually translate to 20% damage reduction? Well, if people are getting good use out of it then fair enough but sounds to me like something a healer should be taking care of if I'm honest.

IvorB

It's a 20% magic damage reduction on a party member; if you're doing anything that hits decently hard, it's pretty useful. Lots of potential raid applications. And even in stuff like 24-mans, if you know some genius in your party has Brink and crap gear and a big raid-wide magic attack is coming out, you dump it on them and maybe spare the healers the annoyance of getting them back up. Because somehow it will be your group's only melee so they're needed for melee lb3.

I imagine it falls into the same buck as Eye for an Eye, in terms of really nice-to-have stuff that doesn't get used nearly enough.

Okay you guys are selling it now. I have actually used Eye for an Eye so I guess I can file it under that. Maybe I should put it on my hot bar...

Stuart444

Soo...

FUCK ZURVAN, the stupid fuck.

Just finished attempts with Kagamin from here, we had about 2 runs or so before some people had to leave and someone's internet fucked up. We replaced them and while the DPS overall was worse, I was like "Okay, we can do this".

However, after some accidental shit as a general result of my natural slow reaction speed and my brain taking time to process certain things, one of the guys helping called me out on it (and I didn't exactly have time to explain what happened if we wanted it done tonight).

And this started an argument between this guy and the other healer which just made me nervous, distracted and I ended up messing up during the final phase. We wiped and then the group fell apart.

It's so fucking frustrating because I know we could have done it with the first group considering how low his health was during second soar.

I hate Zurvan :(

KuroNeeko

I'm not familiar with the source material at all, so you'll have to fill in the blanks but...

"If (we) were to go with this, then maybe Yokowo (Yokoo? note: I don't know who this is, YokoTaro?) would appear early on in an event, and, once defeated would encounter some kind of bug that would prevent him/her/it from returning to the real world.

Then 2B (plural...the folks at 2B, maybe?) would be forced to make a "fake" Yokowo to create (draw or perhaps write) the rest of the scenario. That Yokowo (lacking a soul) would go on to create an increasingly fiendish world and....yeah, I'm pretty tired. I think I'll stop there (and go to bed).

Stuart444

Sorry about that, I didn't really know that Phobe person, they're just in a linkshell with me, my friend didn't exactly appreciate their comments either there and was getting pretty frustrated too.

Mew right? Yeah Mew was awesome, a good healer and seemed like a nice person, thank her again for me for being awesome. And thanks for trying.

I'm just so frustrated and needed the rant. (though the part about my reaction and the way my mind works is true. I just work really hard to not let that be an issue but sometimes it is. I just didn't think telling him that would help any so I kept my mouth shut)

Toth

So that faded globe-like thing...is that perhaps the new UI for AF/ UI?

I can see it working as spells probably 'fill it up' and it starts emptying during downtime.
When it goes empty, the effect (and enochain) goes down.

Qvoth

apocatastasis is quite a powerful defensive buff for your teammate, but if you're only raiding casually or only during catch up patches then i guess i can see it being ignored since there's echo and bloated ilevels

Sorian

Banned
Had to google what the thing did since I'd actually completely forgotten it's existence until recently. Does 20% magic vulnerability actually translate to 20% damage reduction? Well, if people are getting good use out of it then fair enough but sounds to me like something a healer should be taking care of if I'm honest.

Always? No but the majority of damage in raids is magic damage (part of the reason why PLDs suck and DRK is better) and so yeah, if it is magic damage then it's a flat 20% off.

Squishy3

Always? No but the majority of damage in raids is magic damage (part of the reason why PLDs suck and DRK is better) and so yeah, if it is magic damage then it's a flat 20% off.
I really hope they make the decision to just let Sheltron block magic damage and leave RNG blocks to physical attacks. It'd keep in line with the balancing and lore as you are activating something that allows you to block it.

Foxxsoxx

So I'm going through the post patch quests.

Question.
are the warriors of darkness the guys in the intro cinematic that got teleported when Behemoth attacked?

Couldn't figure out if it's them or the main character.

Toth

Question.
are the warriors of darkness the guys in the intro cinematic that got teleported when Behemoth attacked?

Nope, that was 'us' who were warped out from Bahamut's assault.

The WoDs are
warriors from another of the 13 splinted dimensions of the multiverse, although theirs fell to the void

I'm thinking of jumping back into this game, now that I have a badass pc that can run this. I have a lvl 50ish THM but am a pretty casual player.

Is it still solo friendly? Can I get most of the story experience out it?

Zomba13

Question.

The characters in the CG cutscenes and patch trailers are supposed to be us players, just generic stand ins for the players but the WoD are based on them. Warrior being the generic base Hyur, the Roe being the PLD, the Miqote being the BRD etc. They didn't go through the things that we've been through from the CG cutscenes and are separate characters that just look identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom