• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cynar said:
You are part of the reason why Final Fantasy games have been going down hill :(

Yeah sure, art has everything to do with it.

Nomura is a great artist whos not afraid to try a lot of different styles to find the look that best fits the setting. I happen to think Yoshida is much better, but I would love to see Nomuras take on more traditional fantasy

2San

eggandI said:
Lol these look better than every single design in any recent FF game (main line). The designs actually make sense and look pretty badass (for the most part... those puglist or w/e fist weapons look stupid).
Really next to the heavy armor, they look pretty weak. Sure it makes sense, but it's so bland. It looks like farmers clothing from the Middle age. :/

Cynar said:
You are part of the reason why Final Fantasy games have been going down hill :(
:lol I'm not saying Nomura is an amazing designer, but they are interesting to look and they have personality. And it's not like his designs get in the way of the experience.

surefire1982 said:
fixed! :lol
I don't know Amano is an awesome artist, but if you look at his work you never know how it translates to 3d. :eek: Not to mention the guy has pretty crazy design as well, he just doesn't have a zipper fetish :O

edit: Just noticed Yoshida is the designer. He's an awesome designer. He can do a lot better. :/

2San said:
Really next to the heavy armor, they look pretty weak. Sure it makes sense, but it's so bland. It looks like farmers clothing from the Middle age. :/

:lol I'm not saying Nomura is an amazing designer, but they are interesting to look and they have personality. And it's not like his designs get in the way of the experience.

I don't know Amano is an awesome artist, but if you look at his work you never know how it translates to 3d. :eek: Not to mention the guy has pretty crazy design as well, he just doesn't have a zipper fetish :O

I think they are showing the starting gear and the high level gear, there will be a lot of different gear in between.

2San

IonicSnake said:
I think they are showing the starting gear and the high level gear, there will be a lot of different gear in between.
That's true, I'm just used to artwork being extravagant if they are from Eastern MMO's.

Duelist

2San said:
That's true, I'm just used to artwork being extravagant if they are from Eastern MMO's.

I guess it's the middle ground to appeal to both audiences. I do think they're nice, simple and clean.

Jonnyram

Woohoo, Elezen females have cleavage.
Good move :thumbsup

The mag apparently said that the archer class is most suited to soloing. The armour in one of the pics looks almost red magey too. Tempting!

Teknoman

The whole rundown from XIVcore:

Job specifics
Gladiator

* Moves like phalanx and shield bash from FFXI are useable, but they are different from XI. In 14, phalanx is an ability where you guard with your shield and attack at the same time

Pugilist

* whistle (FF11's taunt) and steal abilities
* Pugilist is made for people who don't sweat the small stuff

Marauder

* Axe accuracy is low
* "Boost" ability
* Marauder is for people who want the most glorious parts of the battle

Lancer

* Can pull sneak attacks on enemies not in battle stance

Archer

* Has a back-up plan when they run out of arrows
* Has an ability to make enemies flee
* Made for players who like to be alone
* Archers use bows, not crossbows, but other classes might
* Arrows are not labeled by materials like XI, but by enemy types, numbers, and landscapes

Miner

* a miner’s mining can bring in extra income for the party
* The more miners in a party, the more this effect increases
* Mining places will be made visible to miners only

Blacksmith

* can repair weapons and armor another player is holding

Thaumaturge

* can take MP from defeated enemies (defeated enemies my not immediately disappear)

More game info

* Everything done in battle in FFXIV increases TP, including casting
* Defense can happen both automatically and at the will of the user
* The PC version will be able to run on PCs from a few years ago, but the alpha version will only run on high-end PCs
* Can be run on 512MB of VRAM and above
* Alpha test starts soon
* Square wants to make it possible to play with your friends from FFXI
* Character customization won’t be fully available in beta (can’t change facial features)
* There’s a mode for restoring HP while moving

* The plan is the make the maximum number of members in a party between 6 and 8, and there will also be alliances
* The important things in battle are distance, range, and direction
* There will be magic you can use while moving
* There are screenshots in the magazine of the alpha version, and it looks like there have been a lot of small changes
* “Aggro/hate” has a different name in 14 (Translates to something like how much the enemy views you as a threat)
* Enemies will not be set in one area in order for people to pull them to camps; places that enemies will appear will be scattered around

Also most classes have multiple fighting stances:

ay229y.jpg

6st5vt.jpg

9ztwcj.jpg

wlazr8.jpg

261epf7.jpg

I think i've decided on pugilist :lol A thief-tank, most likely with awesome martial arts moves? Aw yeah.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hmmm... not a fan of the art style.. best comparison IMHO is EQ2. Technically proficient and nicely put together with very little style or character of its own. Will still give it a shot and interested on possibly trying out the FFXI trial... but none of this is based on the art that's for sure. Fortunately I play these games for gameplay and interactivity, not art style.

Replicant said:
Wait, you guys don't get the LE (the one with mini artbook + limited OST + stickers)?

If it makes you feel any better though, I think paying extra $40 for those stuff is a bit of a rip-off.

no
madface.jpg

Xater

Registered for the PS3 beta yesterday. I really hope I will get in.

I was more excited about DC Universe but I think this will be the bigger and better title. It also looks beautiful.

Sadly I have no experience with FFXI so some of the announcements go over my head.

Alucrid

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yoshida's stuff is usually more grounded in old school yet intricate style these days. Check FFT and FFXII.

I agree, I just realizes yesterday while playing XIII how much I loved XII's art style.

Okay, so I've been searching this thread and have had difficulty finding some answers.

1) Is the beta key included with the US version of XIII? PS3 only?
2) Is there a site to sign up for the PC beta without needing a code?

eggandI

Banned
Oh wow stances. Really cool. This game already seems a lot more streamlined and faster than FFXI. Moving parties, monsters don't just stay fixed in one spot, HP can be restored while moving, etc. Seems much more interesting.

Xater

Alucrid said:
I agree, I just realizes yesterday while playing XIII how much I loved XII's art style.

Okay, so I've been searching this thread and have had difficulty finding some answers.

1) Is the beta key included with the US version of XIII? PS3 only?
2) Is there a site to sign up for the PC beta without needing a code?

It's not really included. You get a code for registering your game on the SE website. Then you get an e-mail for a code for the FFXIV beta and a bonus in-game item. The code can be used for the PS3 or PC beta.

MrDenny

2San said:
Needs more Nomura

Don't know about you guys Nomura's style might be crazy, but at least it's not bland and generic. o_O
This is a mmorpg, of course the characters are going to look more generic.

Alucrid

Banned
Xater said:
It's not really included. You get a code for registering your game on the SE website. Then you get an e-mail for a code for the FFXIV beta and a bonus in-game item. The code can be used for the PS3 or PC beta.

Ah, okay thanks for clearing that up.

Bento

The pictures in this thread is giving me a nice Demon's Soul vibe when it comes to the armor and weapons, prefer that a whole lot to the over the top style of games like Aion. They seem to have paid alot of attention to the details as well :D

Xater said:

I registered my game, is that all I had to do? How long does the e-mail take?

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
I registered my game, is that all I had to do? How long does the e-mail take?

When I registered today, the FFXIV code appeared on my screen. I didnt receive an email from them containing it. I hit "Submit" to register FFXIII and the next screen was "blah blah, points have been added, heres your FFXIV beta code"

Bento said:
The pictures in this thread is giving me a nice Demon's Soul vibe when it comes to the armor and weapons, prefer that a whole lot to the over the top style of games like Aion. They seem to have paid alot of attention to the details as well :D

Any old developer can come up with over-the-top designs. It takes a man like Yoshida to do simple, effective designs with extraordinary attention to detail. I'm absolutely loving the aesthetic direction this game is taking.

DoctorWho said:
Looks like the whole game will consist of people playing as pugilists.

:lol It does seem to be excessivly popular at the moment. I'm most likely looking at either a magic user or lancer. Lancer looks completely badass to me.

careksims

Damn I can see the loli lovers liking those "Taru Taru" Where's my mithra pics!?

They all look great! I love the models. Will look good on my big pc screen.

Bento said:
I agree. I don't mind the occasional "out there" weapon/armor(think Large Sword of Searching in Demon's Souls) but I find flashy fantasy armor, while usually more varied, gets tiresome faster.

mephesta

I have a quick question about beta sign-ups. I bought both the JP and US versions of the game. I went through the registration and sign-ups for the ps3 beta fine on the US sites. But when I add my points on the JP site for that code, it did not give me a 20 digit code to input into the JP beta sign-up.

Any ideas on what to do?

Rengoku

Kandinsky said:
Yeah i dont like the plastic look of this :/

I think it might be that the models are being rendered with a white background, they should look better ingame when theres proper lighting and shadows.

NeoForte

CcrooK said:
No. But you get a code after you register FF13 with that code that it came with FF13.

Ah so that's how it works. GUess I'm not getting an invite since I never got an email about that code.

Top Bottom