• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Online has now more than 16 million registered players

CyberPanda

Banned
Square Enix announced today that Final Fantasy XIV Online has now surpassed 16 million registered users worldwide during a Letter from the Producer LIVE segment streamed from San Francisco. The new figure marks a high-point for the MMORPG ahead of the release of its third major expansion, FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers on July 2nd, 2019.

Additionally, the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers official benchmark software is now available for download. The benchmark software includes all-new Shadowbringers footage, as well as a character creator that allows players to view playable characters as they appear in-game—including the new Hrothgar and Viera races. Users who create characters using the benchmark will also be able to carry them into the full game as well. The official benchmark software can be downloaded from here.

Wow.. that's a lot of money on a monthly basis. It's the only reason I'm not playing it. I don't have many hours spare each month so the monthly fee kills it for me. Shame.

Kenpachii

It makes sense, wow is kinda dying out right now. So people move elsewhere. Final fantasy seems the only aternative besides maybe elder scrolls.

Hinedorf

Banned
Funny, I've lost interest in the game. I've loved it up until Stormblood. It really is a repetitive grind when you sit back and think about what you're doing in the game.

That's about where I died out too. The story wasn't as compelling and more or less it seemed like the expansion was just an extension of the existing endgame. My complaint came with only being able to get the same grindy instances on a daily basis for the tokens you needed for armor. When you're grown and have limited time you can't be timegated on a game you pay monthly for.

Miss my FC but too time consuming for minimal reward

Dargor

Not throwing shade or anything, I like FFXIV, its a great game and it derserves every cent it gets, but are these active, paying players or just total accounts, even inactive ones?

I played ARR when it launched (or I guess it was a re-launch) and I really liked it. It doesn't reinvent the MMO wheel but gets all the traditional aspects down very well. Classes were fun. Grouping easy. Always had something to do.

Haven't played in forever. Glad to her it is still doing well.

I’ve wanted to play FFXIV for a long time, but am unwilling to capitulate to a monthly subscription model. Shame, too, because my time with GW2 has had me wanting to get a deeper taste of the genre.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One of the best MMOs on the market and a fantastic story-driven experience. Heavensward was one of the best written stories within the FInal Fantasy Universe since the early 2000s and Stormblood was not too far behind it.

Super hyped for the new expansion!

Varteras

Gold Member
Why isn't this on xbox :(

Combination of reasons. Xbox doesn't sell in Asia and not the greatest in Europe. MMOs are no easy feat to port and keep up with so the fewer versions you have the easier it is. Especially when this game gets regular large content updates. Square wanted any versions of the game to be cross-play. PC and PS4 was the obvious choice at a time when cross-play among competitor consoles wasn't a thing. At this point the game is so far along with so much content that would need to be ported that doing so for a console that has less than half the install base of the lead console, whose brand has bad history with the Asian market, and is about to be replaced by its successor is probably not an investment that Square wants to make.

Top Bottom