• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Didnt SE already say that the retail version will be lighter than the beta? I think its best to wait until retail to see how the game runs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sooo, here's what I got at the end of beta. Level 26 Physical, Rank 22 Marauder, Rank 10 Gladiator, Rank 10 Pugilist

mtayo5.jpg

I finally got an axe upgrade, not once, but twice. I'm sporting the Storm Axe in that shot.

Armor: Bronze Haubergeon
Hands: Reinforced Bronze Gauntlets
Feet: Bronze Solleretes
Head: Bronze Celata
Belt: Tarred Canvas Sash

Had a bunch of brass rings for ACC up, and a silver choker for ATK up (although I had to stop using the silver one because I couldn't find any silver nuggets AND I couldn't find anyone with a high enough level goldsmith. Repair system sucks.)

Ended the beta with 500,000+ gil in my wallet. I would have had more, but I spent over 700,000 gil buying stuff to give to my party members for free. Chances to find high rank items in bazaars come very rarely, so I had to buy them up when I had the opportunity. It worked out in the end, because I got the Storm Axe for free. The person whom I bought Bronze Gauntlets for (200,000 gil for a rank 9 item, eeeek) was so grateful, he found a Storm Axe somehow and gave it to me. Yay karma.

nataku

Salaadin said:
Didnt SE already say that the retail version will be lighter than the beta? I think its best to wait until retail to see how the game runs.

I hope so, I really do. Three days left until I find out, I guess.

kiryogi

Banned
I plan to play as much as I can, but no where as hardcore. Got work and well don't wanna get caught up in this rat race and burn myself out. Sorry if I'm useless otherwise!~

Teknoman

Definitely going with Celatas. Those normal bronze helmets dont look that great on my character :lol

dyszg9.jpg

At least without actual armor.

I guess my plan for retail is Glad(main job)/Mara/miner/botanist...and whenever a 2h sword job is revealed, i'll probably make that my main job.

Chocobos better be available at retail.

Unknown Soldier said:
Note: you do have to OC this stuff. It won't perform very well at stock. 3.4 to 3.6ghz is pretty easy with just the stock heatsink Intel provides, if you are going to push for 3.8ghz+ I do suggest spending another $40-50 for an aftermarket heatsink. The GTX 460s will happily blow right past 800mhz core and many can hit 900mhz core, at that speed it will depend only on how much AA you use, I don't suggest using too much AA with a 768MB VRAM video card.
Um, that is WAY more than what anybody needs to run the game at a playable framerate. That's basically my computer, except mine's got a Radeon 5750. I run the game at 1080P, the blurring effect on, textures/filtering set high, everything else at standard. Nothing over clocked (except the video card is slightly over clocked by the factory). Game runs at a decent enough framerate, only chugs once in a while.

Now, that's at 1080p with lots of settings set high - turn the res down to 720p or less, turn down the effects, you could easily br playing the game on something a lot less powerful.

TheFatOne

So GAF what is in the CE? I was thinking about getting the CE so that I could play early,but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

TheFatOne said:
So GAF what is in the CE? I was thinking about getting the CE so that I could play early,but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
Check the OP of this thread - the section called "The FINAL FANTASY XIV Collector’s Edition includes:"

charsace

Everything I've heard about this game is negative. The worst part is the system requirements. One thing that has killed games post WOW and FF14 is a real resource hog.

lupinko

Hmm, does the FFXIII code work with the PC version of XIV?

More importantly, can my JP FFXIII code work with the US PC FFXIV?

Feep

Banned
Dammit, Gamestop ran out of the CE. That's what I get for waiting so long.

I think I can still get it on the website, or on Amazon. Which has better shipping?

By the way, I was unaware beta was going to end tonight; I had planned to head over to the final city, Limsa, to make my final decision of where to start. I liked Gridania a LOT more than the ugly Ul'dah.

Should I roll Gridania or Limsa?

Wow, me and my friends thought Ul'dah was by far better looking than Gridania, and not nearly as annoying (Gridania is the LA of Eorzia - very spread out and maze-like). The desert floor, canyons and flowers look awesome, while Gridania all looks the same - the same trees everywhere, with the occasional stream. And Gridania doesn't get very dark at night at all, nor bright at day, so there isn't that day/night variety either.

Can't help you with Limsa Lominsa (a sight for me sore eyes!), we never really checked that place out, reserving that for the full retail game.

Feep

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Wow, me and my friends thought Ul'dah was by far better looking than Gridania, and not nearly as annoying (Gridania is the LA of Eorzia - very spread out and maze-like). The desert floor, canyons and flowers look awesome, while Gridania all looks the same - the same trees everywhere, with the occasional stream. And Gridania doesn't get very dark at night at all, nor bright at day, so there isn't that day/night variety either.

Can't help you with Limsa Lominsa (a sight for me sore eyes!), we never really checked that place out, reserving that for the full retail game.
I liked the outlying areas of Ul'Dah, but I couldn't stand the city itself. Ugh.

Neo Member
I was really looking forward to this game...until I realized I only have a two year old laptop that would probably blow up if i even tried to install the game...waiting for the PS3 release I guess.

nataku said:
And you only had to heavily overclock your CPU!

3.06 stock to 4.01GHz is a massive overclock and far, far beyond the reach of your average FFXIV player out there. Overclocking in general is beyond your average PC user. Did you run those tests at stock, too?

OCing Core i7 to 4ghz is actually pretty routine with adequate air cooling. A few people might get a bad chip which craps out at 3.8ghz but actually most people who buy i7 are shooting for 4ghz and most people who shoot for 4ghz are able to reach it. The lucky ones are the ones who hit 4.2ghz+ on air cooling, sadly mine had the brick wall after 4.0ghz so I gave up on 4.2ghz with my chip.

I didn't bother to test at stock because quite frankly I don't ever run my personal desktop gaming machine at stock. Every desktop gaming box I've ever built has been OCed, going all the way back to my first Celeron 366. OCed to 450! And 3.06ghz to 4.01ghz isn't really much of an OC percentage-wise, only about a 30% OC. As I said, with Core i7's hitting 4ghz is almost routine, much like how people used to routinely take a Q6600 with stock 2.4ghz and make it 3.2ghz, or how people used to routinely take a P4 "Northwood" 1.8 ghz and make it 2.4ghz, etc. Once a group of early adopters buy chips and test OCs more often than not people find a sweet spot for OCing and then everybody jumps on board. That's what I like to do TBH because of how lazy I've gotten when I got a full-time job and didn't have time to tinker with computers like I used to. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
I'm not hardcore enough to bother with OC-ing or anything. Don't wanna invest in intricate cooling systems :lol That said for running on stock, I get pretty decent results ouf of FFXIV. I'd say my only real bottleneck is my card, which was ranked tier 6 on that one site. But everything else is modern and good to go.

kiryogi said:
I'm not hardcore enough to bother with OC-ing or anything. Don't wanna invest in intricate cooling systems :lol That said for running on stock, I get pretty decent results ouf of FFXIV. I'd say my only real bottleneck is my card, which was ranked tier 6 on that one site. But everything else is modern and good to go.

Intricate? Really? The only difference between some of these big-ass OCing heatsinks and the Intel stock retail heatsink is the Intel one is smaller and it sucks. The big-ass OCing heatsinks work the same way. Well okay, you'll actually need to use a screwdriver to turn a few screws since you bolt them down to the motherboard instead of the shitty push-clips Intel uses which often come loose and then your computer starts crashing and you have no idea why. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Intricate? Really? The only difference between some of these big-ass OCing heatsinks and the Intel stock retail heatsink is the Intel one is smaller and it sucks. The big-ass OCing heatsinks work the same way. Well okay, you'll actually need to use a screwdriver to turn a few screws since you bolt them down to the motherboard instead of the shitty push-clips Intel uses which often come loose and then your computer starts crashing and you have no idea why. :lol

Correction, I don't wanna spend any more than I have to :lol. I'm AMD anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey is there any site that allows downloading of the hi-res maps? All the fansites that I've seen just has that Google Maps interface like this: http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/La_Noscea/Map

I really don't want to download all those image tiles and put the map together in Photoshop.

Or is there any sort of utility that could download all the tiles in a map for me?

Someone was saying Rie Tanaka is the Miqo'te #2 voice. I actually picked that one because it sounded like an anime voice, who would have thought it was actually Yomi from Azumanga Daioh! She's also Mitsuru in Persona 3.

jiggle said:
anyone fear they will spring "xp loss upon death" on us with retail?
I don't think they will, but I do think they need to punish death a lot worse than they do now. Especially with giving everyone something that lowers the punishment. Right now, death is no big deal - in the beta I soloed Leves way higher difficulty than I should have, because all dieing did was make the Leve take a little longer - and the time bonus isn't high enough to make it worth going with an easier one.

Maybe if dieing would make you fail at the Leve, THAT would be a good punishment for dying (obviously in a party the whole party would have to be dead to fail it). It's crazy that dying doesn't fail a Leve, but the game crashing does.

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Someone was saying Rie Tanaka is the Miqo'te #2 voice. I actually picked that one because it sounded like an anime voice, who would have thought it was actually Yomi from Azumanga Daioh! She's also Mitsuru in Persona 3.

Yeah my friend just told me about this too. So the voices are actually still jp grunts XD I thought it was all dub!

desa

Dreamwriter said:
Amazon no longer offers release day shipping, the fastest they can get it to you is the 24th.

Really? When did this go in effect? I pre ordered the standard edition a few days ago and I had the option for release day shipping at 99 cents. Said it would ship the day before release date.

desa said:
Really? When did this go in effect? I pre ordered the standard edition a few days ago and I had the option for release day shipping at 99 cents. Said it would ship the day before release date.

You can still get release date shipping on the regular version but they stopped offering it for the collectors edition. If you order the CE now and select one day shipping they say you'll get it on the 24th.

jsrv

Unknown Soldier said:
kiryogi said:
Yeah my friend just told me about this too. So the voices are actually still jp grunts XD I thought it was all dub!
Wait, how did they know? Is there a credits list or a conference or staff interview or something?

Dreamwriter said:
I don't think they will, but I do think they need to punish death a lot worse than they do now. Especially with giving everyone something that lowers the punishment. Right now, death is no big deal - in the beta I soloed Leves way higher difficulty than I should have, because all dieing did was make the Leve take a little longer - and the time bonus isn't high enough to make it worth going with an easier one.

Maybe if dieing would make you fail at the Leve, THAT would be a good punishment for dying (obviously in a party the whole party would have to be dead to fail it). It's crazy that dying doesn't fail a Leve, but the game crashing does.

On the other hand, no real death penalty lets you actually be adventurous on your adventures. You can actually try new things without worrying about 10% XP loss and LEVEL DOWN!, such as explore areas with high-level mobs just to see the scenery. The death penalty in FFXI was so onerous that it impacted the way everyone played and made the community super-elitist-assholes because everyone was so afraid of dying and losing possibly a day or more's worth of progress.

Instead of punishing dying, Squenix put in the Fatigue system to slow down leveling. You'll still eventually reach the cap, but instead of the frustration of dying and losing progress you'll simply progress more slowly.

desa

SuperLurker said:
You can still get release date shipping on the regular version but they stopped offering it for the collectors edition. If you order the CE now and select one day shipping they say you'll get it on the 24th.

Ahh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Wonder why.

Salaadin

Anyone successfully get their FFXIII in game item codes registered on the site yet? I still get the "code invalid" error.

Well I pre-orderd the Collectors Edition, found it very cheap on the site I usually buy stuff from here in Sweden so I couldn't resist. :p

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:

Personally I think that armour should become damaged on death and not normal wear and tear.

I don't want to see stupidly harsh death mechanics, the game has enough crappy restrictions in place as it is, any more and people aren't guna want to play the damn thing.

Renta your character looked pretty sweet at the end there, too bad the chest piece clips through your legs though, I really hate that, especially when the armour looks so good.

My copy is in the post should be here tomorrow morning ^^

Jinko said:
Personally I think that armour should become damaged on death and not normal wear and tear.

I don't want to see stupidly harsh death mechanics, the game has enough crappy restrictions in place as it is, any more and people aren't guna want to play the damn thing.
But on the other hand, the game will be boring if it ends up stupidly easy like it is now - no penalty for death, almost no aggro monsters between towns, have to travel a LONG ways out of the way to find an aggro monster...

I'm not saying the game should be as hard-core as FFXI was, but at least FFXI it was exciting to travel and explore, especially at low levels. It felt awesome the first time you managed to get to Jeuno. In the open beta of this game, it was actually boring to run from one of the major towns to another.

Salaadin

HAttyboy said:
Correct me if I am wrong. The FF XIII Code is the code on the Product Regi card?

There was the product registration card that you then had to register on the website which gave you a standard 15 digit code that was used for PS3 beta registration and the in game item. They dont email you this. It just appears on your screen in a window with instructions.

HAttyboy

Salaadin said:
There was the product registration card that you then had to register on the website which gave you a standard 15 digit code that was used for PS3 beta registration and the in game item. They dont email you this. It just appears on your screen in a window with instructions.
So I am fucked if i didnt save the 15 digit code?

Salaadin

HAttyboy said:
So I am fucked if i didnt save the 15 digit code?

I dont know if theres a way to get it back. Maybe try registering the FFXIII code again and see if they give you the code again? Worth a shot.

HAttyboy

Salaadin said:
I dont know if theres a way to get it back. Maybe try registering the FFXIII code again and see if they give you the code again? Worth a shot.
Nope didnt work :/ Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom