• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

jiggle said:
its accuracy is majorly gimped
even if you allot a ton of upgrades to DEX
regular attacks can miss 50% even on blue/green mobs
once, i missed x4, hit twice, missed 2 more times...
solo fights ended up dragging on longer because of this, which led to taking more damage
which meant i needed to take points away from Str/Dex to get more HP/VIT

when i started open beta, i thought they really ramped up the difficulty (especially in leve)
but now i realized it was partly cuz the job sucked lol
loldrg 2: Electric Boogaloo

gillty

Banned
I shall watch patch notes from afar, Civ5 and F1 launch the day before and offer hundreds of hours of polished goodness.

Roxas

not sure what to do here...the game at launch is going to be a complete mess...but on the other hand..its Final Fantasy.

ooh choices

Canti

Still in for day one! Uninstalled the beta today to give myself a breather before release :lol

I stuck with Lancer/Miner/Goldsmith for the beta but after some minor play with other classes I'm thinking Pugilist/Miner/Armorer come next week.

Great OP demosthenes, should mention the FFXIII code for Ausran gloves!

jiggle

logged in beta for the last time to take some screenshots
gonna miss playing lala, but i'm set on hyur
i just found out, lala topples over if u do /sit, and then /doze :lol

for some reason, leves keep rewarding me pink version of the armors...

34yxx0i.jpg

2itm0lh.jpg

nn0cog.jpg

qyuw51.jpg

Teknoman said:
Btw, about the OT condition, it can be upgraded as time goes. So if someone wants to design better banners, or has art they want to add for certain categories, i'm sure demosthenes will upgrade no problem.

Exactly, I have no problem updating! :p

Nobody was making one and we're 4 days out now so I went ahead and made it :p

KaYotiX

Banned
Will wait to jump in, I really hope they optimize it better and fix a few things. Would like a new MMO to play :) Civ V will keep me busy though

notworksafe

Might be some stuff worth stealing from my Beta thread. Twitters, trailers/vids, and some of the Valru's addon for windowed mode.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I'm considering this game. But I am still really torn.

I think the limiting of my play time is something I would probably need. I just started post secondary educationing it up - and I want to take it really seriously. The call of the MMO is powerful, and I've been clean for 2 years now. It was easier for me to deny myself the luxary when I figured I'd be wasting too much of my time playing, but if I know that I probably wont play more than 10 hours a week, I could probably swing that.

What does GAF think. Sincerely, if I should run away screaming and focus on school/work - tell me, yell it at me.

Meeru

Banned
dark fleet antec df-30
i5 760
Modxstream 700w
4gb ddr3 gskill ripjaws 1600
Msi gtx 460 cyclone x2
Agility 2 60gb

About $700 after selling most of my previous computer parts

jiggle

Lando Jones said:
Is it possible to have both items, or are they linked to the game key..

Just asking because I actually want both!

u can get both
if u can get the codes for both items

careksims

Alright! Great OP! Will be ready for Wed. when it arrives here. They certainly improved how the game runs. Now my card doesn't fry and getting nice fps.

Will be uninstalling beta tomorrow.

Finally to get serious and do some crafting in retail. :D See you FF14 Gaffers on Wed!

Home

Going to continue playing FFXI while I see how the game/patching goes. Right now I just can't support it in the current condition, but I'm hoping for good improvements.

DrDogg

Lando Jones said:
Is it possible to have both items, or are they linked to the game key..

Just asking because I actually want both!

There are actually four total items.

- Code from FFXIII
- Item for being an active FFXI player
- CE pre-order
- Normal version pre-order

As far as we know, you can get all of the items, but you have to enter all of the codes before you create your character. Once your character has been created, you can't get the item for that character anymore. You'd have to delete the character and create it again once the code(s) is in place.

So if you wanted both pre-order items you'd have to either wait until 9/30 to play, or delete your character and start over after you get the normal version pre-order item code.

hgplayer1

Im really interested to see how much more of the world opens up in retail. I wonder if a lot of those invisible walls in town will still be there.

Is there any real plan for our LS to do stuff together in the beginning? I know some of you are gonna start crafting and gathering and stuff almost immediately. Should I just do leves solo or is anyone interested in dedicating to a leve static?

HAttyboy said:
Didnt FF XIV already have a Windowed mode settings already or is it crap?
It has a Windowed mode, but what some people really want is a fullscreen mode where they can alt-tab without crashing the game. That hack made a Windowed mode where the visible window parts were just barely offscreen.

Having said that, I don't think the hack should be mentioned in the OP here until the final game comes out and it's verified that Square didn't fix alt-tabbing in full-screen mode. They are fixing so many other things in the final release, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if that was fixed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm down for group leves whenever. I think my main class will be a coin lfip between Gladiator and Marauder. Probably will be Gladiator though.

LowParry

I'm really looking forward to hearing retail impressions from the game. I won't be playing but I'd like to see where it stands at retail and follow its progression through the rest of the year. I'm still interested in playing but it needs to hit that sweet spot for me.

Atrus

Gold Member
Pre-ordered 2 copies of the CE yesterday and have settled on the following 2 characters for my copy. Names will come later as I'm going to make sure I get them first.

1284098747.jpg

1284176410.jpg

Thoraxes

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Did Yoshitako Amano design those concept art pieces?

This is looking like a game that truly represents Final Fantasy.
Yes he did, as well as the box art on the CE.

I'm excited! Can't believe it's less than a week already.

I wonder how big the patches are going to be on launch day, and overall, what some of the newer areas will look like, not to mention what they've been fixing since the pre-launch event in Japan. They talked about a lot of stuff there, so it'll be interesting to see what they put in there so quickly.

sky

I think it'll be a slowwwww start, but I'm still looking forward to it.
The first few days will probably be hell though. Gigs of patches and server congestion incoming...

DrDogg

sky said:
I think it'll be a slowwwww start, but I'm still looking forward to it.
The first few days will probably be hell though. Gigs of patches and server congestion incoming...

There will be more server congestion on the 30th compared to the 22nd. Things probably won't go smoothly for either date, but I expect the 30th to be much worse.

abq

hgplayer1 said:
Im really interested to see how much more of the world opens up in retail. I wonder if a lot of those invisible walls in town will still be there.

Is there any real plan for our LS to do stuff together in the beginning? I know some of you are gonna start crafting and gathering and stuff almost immediately. Should I just do leves solo or is anyone interested in dedicating to a leve static?
Are there any events that more or less forces you to group?

HAttyboy

pancakesandsex said:
So how do you create linkshells in this anyway, I never did find out.
At the Adventure Guilds, there is a NPC that give you a Linkshell. I dont know if that was only beta stuff, but I dont think so.

Tek, HG, Rockman, which of you want to recreate the XI ls on whatever server we all end up on (assuming it's the same?) I wouldn't mind doing it myself.

Teknoman

pancakesandsex said:
Tek, HG, Rockman, which of you want to recreate the XI ls on whatever server we all end up on (assuming it's the same?) I wouldn't mind doing it myself.

Everyones supposed to be going to Lindblum (official GAF server), and even though we're making Stars of Destiny LS, i'm not sure who will be around first. Might even be Jinko again like in beta.

*Just remember, it's going to be a mixture of GAF and whoever we meet in XIV/older members from XI.

Einbroch said:
Work in progress:

ZmqtP.gif

Looks great Ein :D

vivin

pancakesandsex said:

I guess it depends who is the most hardcore about FFXIV out of you guys :lol But it will be good to have someone who's been a long time FFXI player, and plans to play FFXIV...for a long time :p

Also, I'm very optimistic about the server performances come retail. Usually Open beta's are hit the hardest, since its basically a "free preview" for most people. FFXIV's OB has probably been the smoothest Ive been in, no joking...I had maybe one crash, and that was due to trying to login while the login server was undergoing maintenance.

ohh, just got word...looks like my copy will be shipping on the 21st. Now all I need is for the in-game item codes to work, and everything will be just dandy :lol

Allard

Nice OP. It would also be worth noting that the PS3 version has 3D support.

Correction, PS3 version is not scheduled for 3D; the Sony press conference once again jumped the gun. Tanaka announced via twitter that the 3D presentation shown at the conference was merely a tech demo for Sony's 3D technology and nothing more. A majority of the game demonstration they showed are not confirmed in any way for 3D and he even said the PS3 version was likely never to be in 3D due to resource issues.

My pre-order has been cancelled and uncancelled like 5 times.

Currenty in uncancelled state, because I'm still a sucker for FF, so I'll see you guys next week.

abq said:
Are there any events that more or less forces you to group?
Dunno about forcing (I never went beyond level 10 in the beta), but grouping really makes parts of the game a lot better. For example, by yourself you can only do a few Levequests a day, but in a party, that amount is multiplied by the number of people in the party (and you can get better rewards by going for more difficult Leves).

DrDogg said:
There are actually four total items.

- Code from FFXIII
- Item for being an active FFXI player
- CE pre-order
- Normal version pre-order

As far as we know, you can get all of the items, but you have to enter all of the codes before you create your character. Once your character has been created, you can't get the item for that character anymore. You'd have to delete the character and create it again once the code(s) is in place.

So if you wanted both pre-order items you'd have to either wait until 9/30 to play, or delete your character and start over after you get the normal version pre-order item code.

All but the current FFXI player one.. Damn!

Preliminary testing on my OCed i7-950 box seems to indicate that FFXIV does in fact spawn at least 6-8 threads. It's not clear what useful things these threads may or may not be doing, but Windows Task Manager certainly is showing that all 8 HT threads on my 4-core CPU are busy doing...something. Images to follow in a bit.

vivin said:
I guess it depends who is the most hardcore about FFXIV out of you guys :lol But it will be good to have someone who's been a long time FFXI player, and plans to play FFXIV...for a long time :p

Also, I'm very optimistic about the server performances come retail. Usually Open beta's are hit the hardest, since its basically a "free preview" for most people. FFXIV's OB has probably been the smoothest Ive been in, no joking...I had maybe one crash, and that was due to trying to login while the login server was undergoing maintenance.

ohh, just got word...looks like my copy will be shipping on the 21st. Now all I need is for the in-game item codes to work, and everything will be just dandy :lol

I'd hate to see the name wasted on a fly by night is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom