• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

pancakesandsex said:
You have to be out of the trial period, so it's cool if you plan on making your 14 character next month, not so much if you want to play tomorrow.

I have my account from 6 years ago :), but yea I decided not to bother, It will just end up one of those items clogging up my retainer.

zlatko

Banned
My game shipped so I'm pumped as hell for tomorrow. :D

I've been wanting this game ever since the project was a rumored new MMO from Square. I forgot what it was called then Project Rapture or something? My most anticipated game since FFXI. :D

Let the next few years be filled with plenty of LS drama HUZZAH! :D

demonkaze

Anyone else intending to try and play as soon as server goes live? I'm going to try for a little while but if I can't get on then i'll go to bed and try tomorrow morning.

vivin

Well, I got my copy this morning, very impressed with the CE, not bad for an extra $10NZ heh. All patched up and ready to head into Eorzea after work :D

tenderoni

Neo Member
Also, when I created a new SE account, it asked me if I wanted to merge accounts but I said no... Does this mean I don't get the item for having an active XI account?

Cathcart

Kandinsky said:
Because crafters get fucked with a system like that, and people are too dumb to figure out exactly what you are saying, hence most will go after looks/badassery(word?) than performance
Eh, they figure it out the first time they go to a repair NPC and then it gets pasted into every FFXIV guide and becomes common knowledge.

Good point about crafters, though.

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
Based on ....? if youre talking about OB, the favors <insert class here> thing didnt prevent you from equiping it.

Really? I thought thats what it meant...well what does the favor mean then? Like access to full stats or something?

Also project Rapture trailer...which has a small dragon and those mini airships now in XIV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgtZvn5c4e4

Think they took elements of that and went with Gridania or is that how Ishgard may look?

hgplayer1

Ugh Gamestop wouldnt cancel my order even though I tried last night before it was even close to shipping.

My Amazon order has shipped as well so Ill have two copies tomorrow.

Dual box? Yeah right!

Teknoman

hgplayer1 said:
Ugh Gamestop wouldnt cancel my order even though I tried last night before it was even close to shipping.

Dual box? Yeah right!

Just resell the other on Amazon/GAF buy topic. Either that or mark up the price on Amazon :lol

notworksafe said:
From that article:

Damnit. I was worried this would be the case.

Ugh, me too. I was really hoping for a game where the focus was party play but where there was a large enough solo sphere that they could progress a great deal but eventually need to party.

hgplayer1 said:

Dual box? Yeah right!
You could part it out and eBay it..."$20 for FFXIV making-of DVD, rare!"

Salaadin

Was this posted from that interview:

GW: As it stands right now, fatigue will gradually recover when you’re not playing, right?
DK: It will recover not only if you’re logged off but even if you’re just playing a different class.

That pretty much makes it a non issue for me.

zlatko

Banned
demosthenes said:
Ugh, me too. I was really hoping for a game where the focus was party play but where there was a large enough solo sphere that they could progress a great deal but eventually need to party.

Yeah one of the good things about XI was that you spent your time with people to accomplish things. It made it more rewarding and you met cooler people through those rewarding moments.

I'm still hoping when endgame does hit that 70% is not soloable and will be XI caliber difficult stuff. :)

zlatko said:
Yeah one of the good things about XI was that you spent your time with people to accomplish things. It made it more rewarding and you met cooler people through those rewarding moments.

I'm still hoping when endgame does hit that 70% is not soloable and will be XI caliber difficult stuff. :)

If endgame is even 50/50 I'll be upset. Screw that.

DrDogg

Salaadin said:
Was this posted from that interview:

That pretty much makes it a non issue for me.

That was discussed back when fatigue was first announced.

Also, I'm very displeased at the "focus" on solo play. Endgame is going to be a bunch of people who don't know how to play their jobs right. >_<

Kandinsky

DrDogg said:

Also, I'm very displeased at the "focus" on solo play. Endgame is going to be a bunch of people who don't know how to play their jobs right. >_<
Playing their jobs right?, oh come on now:lol

Also, 7 mins till the servers go live!??!?!

Edit: people need to check if alt+tab on fullscreen mode is possible and if you still can equip anything ASAP, dies.

Salaadin

DrDogg said:

I remember there being confusion on whether or not it reset itself when you were logged off.

Teknoman

On the flipside, once they implement companies, i'm sure the majority of end game will focus on that. Especially if they go somewhere with large scale Garlean V everyone else.

KaYotiX

Banned
Its not on Steam for the same reason they dont use a simple billing system......they are dumb :D (will still play and hopefully love FF14)

DrDogg

Kandinsky said:
Playing their jobs right?, oh come on now:lol

I can see it now...

"You want to tank Eorz-Kirin and you couldn't even level CON to 21 for Cure II hate control?!

"Anyone have a steel ingot so I can fix my shield? I'm switching to GLA."

Salaadin said:
I remember there being confusion on whether or not it reset itself when you were logged off.

When I read the official dev statement I took it as your fatigue slowly resets as long as you're not actively in combat and goes through a full reset every 7 days.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DrDogg said:
When I read the official dev statement I took it as your fatigue slowly resets as long as you're not actively in combat and goes through a full reset every 7 days.
What I want to know is whether fatigue recovers every second you are not playing the fatigued job, or if fatigue recovers based on how much exp you gain on non-fatigued jobs.

If it's the former, then wouldn't it be good to switch to a sub-job every time you are out of battle for more than 10 minutes?

Salaadin

Theres still quite a few "not sures" and "doesnt cares" on the GAF user spreadsheet. If you can, please edit yourself in and make any other necessary changes. Itll make everyone much easier to locate when tomorrow rolls around.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

Remember your XIV name, city, and jobs as well.

Even if you arent planning on Lindblum, you can at least locate others who will be sharing the same server.

Id PM everyone again but that took ages having to send out one at a time in 30 second intervals last time :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
I really do want to play this...I just couldn't get passed some of the frustrations in the beta.
My main issues:

1) Ridiculous interface lag. This is issue #1 by far.
2) Poor interface. Not intuitive whatsoever.
3) Poor performance.
4) No hardware mouse without patch
5) Even with hardware mouse and high framerate, camera is extremely stuttery and makes it feel like the game is running in the teens
6) Crashes while alt-tabbing. This is nearly unforgiveable for an MMO. Running in windowed mode cuts performance by a good 25%, which makes that option quite unattractive.

I loved the design of the world, the music, the characters. Hopefully the game reaches a polished state in the future.

Salaadin

Zomba13 said:
=/
No new hair. At least not for Male Lalafell.

No new patches when they put the servers up? I thought thered be one for sure.
How big is the total install if you dont mind checking when you get the chance.

careksims

I just hope more facial stuff. Hair is fine for my char but...

Sucks that alt + tab STILL crashes the game!? After all those years! Sheesh!

DrDogg

TheExodu5 said:
I really do want to play this...I just couldn't get passed some of the frustrations in the beta.
My main issues:

1) Ridiculous interface lag. This is issue #1 by far.
2) Poor interface. Not intuitive whatsoever.
3) Poor performance.
4) No hardware mouse without patch
5) Even with hardware mouse and high framerate, camera is extremely stuttery and makes it feel like the game is running in the teens
6) Crashes while alt-tabbing. This is nearly unforgiveable for an MMO. Running in windowed mode cuts performance by a good 25%, which makes that option quite unattractive.

I loved the design of the world, the music, the characters. Hopefully the game reaches a polished state in the future.

1. Supposed to be fixed in the retail release.
2. Supposedly being worked on.
3. Runs just fine on my G73 laptop. Had minimal crashes too.
4. Supposed to be fixed in the retail release.
5. I didn't get any of that. Camera was super smooth for me.
6. I have two laptops and a desktop, so I have no need to alt+tab. :D

notworksafe

How's the mouse? Does it respond well? How useful is it for controlling the game? Would I be able to go kb/m only and have little issue with controls?

DrDogg

Rentahamster said:
What I want to know is whether fatigue recovers every second you are not playing the fatigued job, or if fatigue recovers based on how much exp you gain on non-fatigued jobs.

If it's the former, then wouldn't it be good to switch to a sub-job every time you are out of battle for more than 10 minutes?

What I took from the official statement on the matter is that as long as you're in passive mode, fatigue is slowly resetting. So if (hypothetically) it took 100 hours to reset, you could idle in town for 100 hours and it would reset at the same speed as if you changed jobs and didn't come back to the fatigued job for 100 hours.

Zomba13 said:
=/
No new hair. At least not for Male Lalafell.

Fail! Guess I'm sticking to hats as much as possible. :lol

KaYotiX

Banned
so any impressions so far from ppl who are playing??

Should i go ahead and get a wired 360 controller to play this or will KB/M be sufficient.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom