• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers: The First |OT|

royox

Nov 3, 2013
By the way, it's amazing what you can achieve when you keep nomura away from Final Fantasy!
Actually he's in charge of Shadowbringer's raid story (Eden) and it's not bad at all (the last battle of the last patch has been amazing).

But yeah at what you said.

Dec 14, 2008
I've finished ARR yesterday night. Was really surprised when the game warned me about the lenght of the cutscenes.

Anyway, I was told the game and its story were good, but I wasn't imagining for the writing to be *this* good. Fantastic game.

It's easily the best FF since IX.
ARR story is actually pretty meh, and they are streamlining a lot of more fetchier fetch quests out of it in the upcoming June 5.3 patch to make it easier for new players and old players who want to use the New Game+ feature with ARR.

Heavensward is amazing on multiple levels. It's definitely the second best expansion in FFXIV, it expands the world in a meaningful way, and the story is absolutely outstanding both as a personal journey and in the context of an overarching story which grows in the telling.

Stormblood was kinda shit except for the parts in the Far East. This is the expansion that I was not subscribed for, having quit a few months into HW and not returning for more than 3 years, just a month before Shadowbringers.

Shadowbringers is easily the best Final Fantasy story since X. Yes, it is that good. FFXIV is quietly the single best story-driven MMO that I'm aware of and ShB is the single biggest reason why.

Reactions: Resenge

Celcius

Mar 11, 2009
Finally got around to doing the 5.2 patch story. Seemed shorter than the 5.1 content iirc (and same for the nier content as well) but still cool nonetheless.

I can't wait to
fight zodiark eventually

Last edited:

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
ARR story is actually pretty meh, and they are streamlining a lot of more fetchier fetch quests out of it in the upcoming June 5.3 patch to make it easier for new players and old players who want to use the New Game+ feature with ARR.
The ending was fire.
Although, they're kinda ruining it with Heavensward
The sultana is still alive? Bullshit
But yeah, too many "go there, talk with that, now go to the other side of the world and come back" fillers. Who cares about stupid Tataru and her mining.
HW seems much better in that regard, so far.

royox

Nov 3, 2013
The ending was fire.
Although, they're kinda ruining it with Heavensward
The sultana is still alive? Bullshit
But yeah, too many "go there, talk with that, now go to the other side of the world and come back" fillers. Who cares about stupid Tataru and her mining.
HW seems much better in that regard, so far.
I recommend completing the crystal tower quest, it will be mandatory in the next patch and it's very important to understand shadowbringers

royox

Nov 3, 2013
Done that already :3
I love raids.
Too bad I can't find people for the Second Coil.
Try create a party finder, there's always people wanting to repeat the coils or helping older players. Worst case scenario you can rush most of the coils yourself alone at lvl60-70 and ask for help for the final bosses.

Reactions: Fuz

Revolutionary

Sep 13, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Brb, gonna ask for a refund.
Don't worry, he's wrong. Nomura was only responsible for character and boss designs in the raid. Nothing story related, thankfully!

You can also solo almost all of Coil at 80.
Not almost. It's completely doable on many jobs at this point in iLvl. The only one that is remotely difficult is T9 because you have to burst down the last ~40% HP before you get hit with an instant death mechanic.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
So... Heavensward maps. They're obviously designed to annoy the shit out of you until you unlock flying in them. Are the following expansions' maps as much insufferable?

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
Is it me or Heavensward is a giant ripoff of Dark Souls? The Vault in particular is plainly Anor Londo, there's even Ornstein(s) and the white gargoyles.

Son of a bitch, they killed Hauchefart.

Last edited:

Celcius

Mar 11, 2009
I finally completed the Crystal Tower quest line... long after I had finished ShadowBringers. I highly recommend any of you that haven't done it yet to do so before heading into the ShadowBringers 5.0 expansion.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2008
Starting with the ARR revamp in upcoming patch 5.3, the Crystal Tower quest line is now a mandatory part of the MSQ (Main Story Quests) which reflects their future significance in Shadowbringers.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Re-subbed yesterday. Doing 5.1 and 5.2 content now.

Glad for NPC dungeons so that I can de-rust. Its a pretty casual game outside the difficulty challenges, but wouldn't wanna drag a party down especially not as a tank.

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
I'm done with Heavensward, am I the only one that, when got to that point, thought that casting the eyes of Nidhogg in the abyss was a really fucking stupid thing to do? And I was proven right.

Right now I'm trying to recruit people for the Alha Migo resistance, and I actually couldn't care less about them.

By the way, I'm on Cerberus server if someone else is there.

EDIT: Also, Yda > Lyse, and the whole revelation was dumb and pointless. "Hey guys, I'm actually *GASP* my sister! The one you never saw in the game in the first place, the one nobody ever mentioned and the one you obviously have no attachment whatsoever! WHAT A PLOT TWIST, AMIRITE?"

Well good luck with Stormblood cuz Ala Mhigo alone accounts for like 50 hours of story minimum lmao
Greeeeeeeeeat. How long to reach the friggin' samurais?
I love Gosetsu

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Apr 9, 2009
Right now I'm trying to recruit people for the Alha Migo resistance, and I actually couldn't care less about them.
Well good luck with Stormblood cuz Ala Mhigo alone accounts for like 50 hours of story minimum lmao

• LOL
Reactions: btgorman

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
I'm done with Heavensward, am I the only one that, when got to that point, thought that casting the eyes of Nidhogg in the abyss was a really fucking stupid thing to do? And I was proven right.

By the way, I'm on Cerberus server if someone else is there.

EDIT: Also, Yda > Lyse, and the whole revelation was dumb and pointless. "Hey guys, I'm actually *GASP* my sister! The one you never saw in the game in the first place, the one nobody ever mentioned and the one you obviously have no attachment whatsoever! WHAT A PLOT TWIST, AMIRITE?"

Greeeeeeeeeat. How long to reach the friggin' samurais?
I love Gosetsu
Lol man.

Good luck. Shadowbringers is good but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutionary

Revolutionary

Sep 13, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Lol man.

Good luck. Shadowbringers is good but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be, imo.
I'd say it's great but not as amazing as some make it out to be. Heavensward is still king for a variety of reasons.

Warning, do not highlight if you haven't completed Shadowbringers:
Two fakeout deaths (I'm 99.9% sure that Thancred was supposed to die at that moment but Yoshi-P and Co. were too chickenshit to let the writer have her way), the entire Kholusia Talos story arc (both the depressed dude and building the giant Talos through the power of friendship), and Emet-Selch being a second-rate Ardyn Izunia drag it all down for me.

Valonquar

Jun 27, 2013
Winston Salem, NC
Finally got Triple Triad card from Memoria Misera EX. Down to just Kefka Savage mount and Eden mounts... then I'm going to have to get real creative to find stuff to do til 5.3

Sub_Level

Apr 9, 2009
Lyse taught me that I actually kind of like airheads. Sorry to all the actually smart chicks out there, I cant help what my body wants.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2019
I just started playing again. I am wrapping up Stormblood now. Looking forward to Shadowbringers I have heard good things. Stormblood didn't hook me as much as I had hoped.

Reactions: haxan7