• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker |OT|

Not often a Facebook meme actually makes me laugh (FF11 players)

948gM36.jpg
Shantotto? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Fuz

Banned
building the giant Talos through the power of friendship
This really bothered me. So fucking stupid. Shadowbringer's story is... decent to good, not exceptional, mostly thanks to Emet-Selch*, which is a really great villain.

* His shoulders bother me, though. Where are his arms actually attached?

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
ARR isn't even the best story of FFXIV. Heavensward and Shadowbringers are much better.
The ending of ARR is the best part of the whole game (at least until they fuck it up with the SHE'S NOT REALLY DEAD LOL which is crap writing that comes up way too much in this game*). The story in the expansions is... not shit like in most MMOs, but it isn't something as exceptional as people are depicting it. You're just used to shitty writing.

30xymqxlcg451.jpg

Last edited:

april6e

Any other lurking newbies who have been waiting an eon for 5.3 to come out so we can start the game with the vastly improved ARR experience?

Last edited:

A.Romero

Any other lurking newbies who have been waiting an eon for 5.3 to come out so we can start the game with the vastly improved ARR experience?
I started recently, my character is lvl 29 right now.

The game is alright in it's current form.

I started recently, my character is lvl 29 right now.

While it is true that most people exaggerate how "bad" ARR is, you haven't yet gotten to the point where it becomes a bit of a slog. Without spoiling anything: you're almost there...

The real culprit, however, are the patches between ARR and Heavenward. Again, people exaggerate how bad it is (the patches will fly by if you're actually invested in the story and not just rushing to get to the next expansion), but it is definitely longer than it needs to be.

Shadowbringer's story is... decent to good, not exceptional
Yeah, I try to keep expectations in check for that reason. If all you hear is "omg it's the best Final Fantasy story in years", then your expectations are going to be unreasonably high for a story that isn't that great begin with.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
"Its".

Anyway, you're not to that point yet. What people usually think about when talking about the slog problem, is the constant need to go back and fort to the Scion's base. Go to the other side of the world, talk to NPC1 then come back to the Waking Sands. Now tha you're back go talk to NPC2 and come back to the Waking Sands. And so on. It's infuriating at times.

If all you hear is "omg it's the best Final Fantasy story in years"
Keep your expectorations in check, but it's definitely the best since IX, though. Which isn't saying much anyway...

fuck you, nomura

Last edited:

A.Romero

"Its".

Anyway, you're not to that point yet. What people usually think about when talking about the slog problem, is the constant need to go back and fort to the Scion's base. Go to the other side of the world, talk to NPC1 then come back to the Waking Sands. Now tha you're back go talk to NPC2 and come back to the Waking Sands. And so on. It's infuriating at times.

Keep your expectorations in check, but it's definitely the best since IX, though. Which isn't saying much anyway...

fuck you, nomura

Gracias por la corrección, amigo.

I'm at that point now. Glad to see I'm not the only one that finds it annoying. I thought it was regular business for a MMO.

Some guy paid me 100K gil to help him get a guild founded so basically I'm just paying to teleport everywhere.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Here are the quest chains needed to unlock the new beast tribe:

Eueliss chain:

1. A Fickle Existence (Lv70 MSQ)
  2. Village of Woe (aether current) - Eueliss at Kholusia (15.3, 28.7)
  3. Talos, Interrupted - Eueliss at Kholusia (15.8, 25.5)
  4. The Cape in Bloom - Eueliss at Kholusia (15.8, 25.5)
  5. Wright for the Job - Eueliss at Kholusia (15.8, 25.5)
Ronitt chain:

1. Meet the Tholls (Lv78 MSQ)
  2. A Disagreeable Dwarf (aether current) - Beott at Kholusia (12.4, 9.2)
  3. Almost a Friend - Ronitt at Kholusia (13.5, 8.1)
  4. A Practiced Greeting - Ronitt at Kholusia (13.5, 8.1)
  5. Learning to Lali-ho (unlocks emote) - Ronitt at Kholusia (11.0, 11.8)
After completing both chains:

1. Ronitt to the Rescue - Ronitt at Kholusia (13.5, 8.1)
  2. It's Dwarfin' Time (new in 5.3) - Affable Townsdwarf at Kholusia (15.7, 30.3)
If you're searching your Journal for completed quests, remember that it's case-sensitive

Last edited:

Terce

I'm looking to get started in FFXIV given that wow is in such a terrible state. Have always played a healer so will probably be going white mage first. Any suggestions in getting through the leveling process efficiently, and is there a GAF community (FC I think?) or is everyone scattered doing their own thing?

I'm looking to get started in FFXIV given that wow is in such a terrible state. Have always played a healer so will probably be going white mage first. Any suggestions in getting through the leveling process efficiently, and is there a GAF community (FC I think?) or is everyone scattered doing their own thing?
Leveling should be pretty smooth going with the newest update (coming out tomorrow), so I don't think you have to stress yourself over that. Just don't forget that healers in XIV are supposed to DPS as well. :p

As for a GAF FC, there currently isn't one as the previous one rebranded to the 'other forum' (but has a terrible reputation anyway). The game is very solo friendly so I think most of us are just flying solo or in small/solo FCs.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
New raid was pretty good. The first two fights are a lot harder then the last two. I'm going to do the MSQ tonight.

Great ending for Shadowbringers. But Heavensward is still king.

Sapphire Weapon fight was super fun too, hope we get a PvP mode based on that or something else because it would be a waste to have that as a one-time-only occurance.

Kumomeme

Great ending for Shadowbringers. But Heavensward is still king.

Sapphire Weapon fight was super fun too, hope we get a PvP mode based on that or something else because it would be a waste to have that as a one-time-only occurance.
ohh imagine they drop pvp mode for this with ability to customize our own G-Warrior. Player going crazy.

Valonquar

3GS6omG.jpg

Already had all the older Yokai stuff, took about 3 hours to get the new ones done. Think I got them all finished just before the real rush started. Welp....back to just daily dwarf quests and Shiva Unreals...weeeee

TheContact

I played FFXIV before ARR, and then played ARR for a couple months but never really got too into it. I remember the last thing about FFXIV was logging out in Costa Del Sol on my Dragoon. I picked this up again as a new account for the free trial and while I'm enjoying it, I'm not blown away by it. I'm hoping, as others have said, that Heavenward is better. I think I'm just tired of Ul'Dah but the only race I like are the humans. I wish you could choose other cities, or maybe I should just make a trek somehow to somewhere else.

Fuz

Banned
wish you could choose other cities, or maybe I should just make a trek somehow to somewhere else.
You can do both. Starting city depends on the job you chose at character creation. Dragoon is Gridania.

And yeah, other races suck ass.

Last edited:

TheContact

You can do both. Starting city depends on the job you chose at character creation. Dragoon is Gridania.

And yeah, other races suck ass.

Is dragoon an entry class now? I thought I remember having to level up like a marauder and some other class in order to get the Dragoon? Sorry it's been a while

Fuz

Banned
Is dragoon an entry class now? I thought I remember having to level up like a marauder and some other class in order to get the Dragoon? Sorry it's been a while
Oh right, it's Lancer. Marauder becomes Warrior and starts in Limsa Lominsa.

Oh wow, you really are from ARR launch! Yeah, there are no more cross-class stuff like that anymore. You just play Lancer to eventually get to Dragoon. Once you hit lvl 15 I think, you can freely travel between city-states and choose what you like since you're not fond of Ul'dah.

YukiOnna

Finished 5.3 earlier. Love the conclusion to the "current" Shadowbringers story, lot of crazy revelations near the end there. Very happy with the direction it took certain factions when all was said and done. Definitely my favourite expansion, but all expansions have their many shining points and small faults here and there.

The Trial was a bit of a nightmare because the Tank had no idea what they were doing though, lmao. Didn't ruin it's wow factor though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't really like crafting much, but I've been leveling mine since there's all these beast tribe quests and other crafting stuff now. I have two crafters at cap and the rest in the 50-80 range. Except armorer. For some reason I forgot about that one is it is level 3.

YukiOnna

I don't really like crafting much, but I've been leveling mine since there's all these beast tribe quests and other crafting stuff now. I have two crafters at cap and the rest in the 50-80 range. Except armorer. For some reason I forgot about that one is it is level 3.
Same. I want to tackle the Beast Tribe quests, some emotes and mounts are locked behind it that I want. Going to be a pain since I never bother with crafting in RPG's, but at least it's nothing difficult.

YukiOnna

True esp with Beast Tribes they just give the mats lol

EDIT: Question: As a LVL 80, it should be possible to solo the HW EX Trials to grind for Mounts, right? I know for Stormblood you'd obviously need a party even unsynced.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

EDIT: Question: As a LVL 80, it should be possible to solo the HW EX Trials to grind for Mounts, right? I know for Stormblood you'd obviously need a party even unsynced.
No.

It actually is possible to solo most HW EX trials as a tank (Sephirot and Zurvan are the only ones I haven't been able to).. but they aren't easy (still have to respect mechanics) and not necessarily "farmable". Maybe by 5.5 they will all be solo farmable.

Trogdor1123

I was looking to try the game with the expanded demo but I can't try it. The PlayStation store says I already bought realm reborn but I can download it. What am I doing wrong?

Trogdor1123

Well, I got it installed but I can't log in. I did a password reset as I couldn't remember it and that did seem to work. I can let g in online with that Square Enix Id but I can't on my PS4. This is the definition of frustrating. I did the password reset through the PS4 as well and it worked fine...

Wtf am I doing wrong?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Well, I got it installed but I can't log in. I did a password reset as I couldn't remember it and that did seem to work. I can let g in online with that Square Enix Id but I can't on my PS4. This is the definition of frustrating. I did the password reset through the PS4 as well and it worked fine...

Wtf am I doing wrong?

Did you buy the full game at one point? I think if you've ever given them money you can't do the trial.

If not I found this from SE:

03-02-2018 03:06 PM#3
Einmimiria
ModeratorJoin DateNov 2017Posts2,510

Good morning and thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.

If the PSN tells you that you have already purchased the game, either you have already purchased it or you will have to contact Sony to clear up any licensing issues. The free trial will not affect this as the Playstation Network will treat it like a demo.

For this situation, we suggest contacting Playstation Support, as we do not have the resources to troubleshoot an error of this nature. Playstation support can be contacted here: https://support.us.playstation.com/

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!

Last edited:
Top Bottom