• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I tried Dark Knight for the first time and was surprised coming from Gladiator that at lvl.30 the movelist was like exactly the same as Paladin and felt like a reskinned clone.

Later on in levels, does Dark Knight differentiate itself more and more form Gladiator to be its own thing? When I say Gladiator, I mean Paladin btw.

Paladin gets more support abilities to shield the party as well as heal and reduce the damage that others take so they have more abilities tuned towards protecting and healing the team if you find that appealing. For damage they use Goring Blade Combo to keep a DoT effect up while using Royal Authority combo for straight damage. They also have a magic attack phase where you use Requiescat to put up a magic damage increase buff then spam Holy Spirit while it's active

Dark Knight gets a shield at 70 they can put on a single target. For damage they spam Soul Eater combo endlessly while mashing the Dark Arts button to add a set amount of damage/potency to each attack that can be affected by Dark Arts.

Mini rant incoming.

Dark Knight isn't what it used to be. In 3.0 Dark Knight was the most techincal of the three tank jobs but now it's the easiest imo. It's playstyle was significantly simplified and penalties to mismanaging your mana were removed as well. Some people seem to enjoy the simplified/stripped down version of Dark Knight but I've seen a whole bunch of people (myself included) who have abandoned Dark Knight because of the the removal of what made it fun to play in 3.0 so I can't really recommend that anyone plays it unless they are fine with spamming one combo endlessly like 2.0 Paladin.

If you want to play a tank job that's really technical than Warrior is currently the best choice compared to the other two tanks.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks for the info. I mainly want to play DRK at some point because everyone says the HW job quest line is really good. Also DRK knight has a lot of neat glamor with those cool as heck swords. It really sucks they dumbed it down so much in 4.0. It's weird because I looked at the Paladin changes the other day at least in 1-50, and it pretty much lost nothing in 4.0 compared to all these other jobs that lost 1/5th of their abilities to dumb them down.

But yeah, sounds like Warrior is the most fun to tank. Unfortunately my warrior is like lvl.20 and I really don't want to spend the grind leveling it up. Probably will stick with Paladin since it's at lvl.40 for me already and in another 10 levels at least I can start doing ARR endgame content as a tank.

Baleoce

Anyone else done this ShopTo campaign? I got the pole and the aetheryte tickets through the mogmail, but haven't received the attire or the mount yet. I put in all the codes.

EDIT - Nevermind, mogmail was full.

Omni

I'm glad square managed to find the most dodgy-looking site for that by the way.

lmao

I removed my CC card details the second I could. Not a fan of being forced to enter them to even make an account in the first place, only to be forced to use paypal during the checkout anyway.

Zomba13

Shopto is ok now. I mean, the site seems worse than it used to be (I mean, it looks the same but loads at a fraction of the speed) and they did have a big credit card information leak years ago (which affected me) which is why it is a banned site on NeoGAF. but I've used it since and had no issues. Game arrive super fast and usually when you pre-order form them you get your games a few days before release (in the UK at least) which is always nice.

But yeah, it sucks SE went to them with the promotion, they just can't seem to get the promotions right in Europe. I enjoyed when we finally got the Butler stuff and White Fat Chocobo through the O2 app because it cost absolutely nothing because you could just get a free O2 sim, register for the app then swap back to your normal sim.

I've gone through with the ShopTo thing and got Dragon Quest Heroes 2. I have no love of DQ but it was the cheapest thing after the time cards and I get a better deal from SE thanks to me paying for the biggest amount each time and having a Legacy account.

Rua

FlplupYl.jpg

Whew, finally.

Exdeath took us exactly 3 weeks to get down. Hope Neo can be downed quicker considering we'll be able to get a bunch of gear upgrades next patch.

Zomba13

Quote for NA Eastern Journey Attire, Flying Cumulus Mount and Eastern Journey Battle Staff (Lancer/Dragoon Arm) codes.

Giving away the ones I got when the promotion was on before I knew they wouldn't work with an EU account. First come first serve. Post when you've redeemed them (via MogStation).

Quote for NA Eastern Journey Attire, Flying Cumulus Mount and Eastern Journey Battle Staff (Lancer/Dragoon Arm) codes.

Giving away the ones I got when the promotion was on before I knew they wouldn't work with an EU account. First come first serve. Post when you've redeemed them (via MogStation).

Grabbed the Cumulus mount. Thank you!!

iammeiam

6% hyper is interesting; I don't really see anything in the changes that will prevent Creator comp from continuing to stomp face--DRG is now better, MCH is now better, SMN is now... weird. Shake It Off is decent now.

Nerfs to the anima relic light grind are nice.

The simplified AST gauge is hilarious:
https://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/a38abd95e487c633b8cb17040673c979ba32ec2d_106.png?1507274027

This really seems like a QoL heavy patch, and if they had to have a patch that focused more on QoL and had some content pieces miss, the first one of the expansion kind of makes sense.

3 man 24-mans hype

kaze343

6% hyper is interesting; I don't really see anything in the changes that will prevent Creator comp from continuing to stomp face--DRG is now better, MCH is now better, SMN is now... weird. Shake It Off is decent now.

Nerfs to the anima relic light grind are nice.

The simplified AST gauge is hilarious:
https://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/a38abd95e487c633b8cb17040673c979ba32ec2d_106.png?1507274027

This really seems like a QoL heavy patch, and if they had to have a patch that focused more on QoL and had some content pieces miss, the first one of the expansion kind of makes sense.

3 man 24-mans hype

i wasnt expecting ruin 3 to take a hit in potency, but overall the changes feel ok. shake it off feels like its going to be kinda crazy. a 9k~ shield when used in defiance and with thrill is pretty nuts.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So... Anybody needs a caster for Ultimate Coil? I explode things well. Can pretty much play any time. Just wanna kill Nael-chan-tachi really.

i wasnt expecting ruin 3 to take a hit in potency, but overall the changes feel ok. shake it off feels like its going to be kinda crazy. a 9k~ shield when used in defiance and with thrill is pretty nuts.

Ruin III has decreased pot because it's now a direct Ruin I upgrade.

kaze343

So... Anybody needs a caster for Ultimate Coil? I explode things well. Can pretty much play any time. Just wanna kill Nael-chan-tachi really.

Ruin III has decreased pot because it's now a direct Ruin I upgrade.

i had figured the nerf that smn would be getting would be only on devotion getting a cd increase.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
i had figured the nerf that smn would be getting would be only on devotion getting a cd increase.

Summoner is actually already stupidly strong. We'll see how the changes math out but it needed both a power nerf and an ability rework.

Oh they're finally adding windows, I was thinking how annoying it was that the inside of houses always felt so claustrophobic and often dark. Appartments were even worse. Kinda hoped for fake view windows, but that's a nice start.

aceface

So the summoner improvements are nerfs?

What the hell?

From what I can tell...Ruin gets upgraded permanently to Ruin 3 at lv 54. So that should be a potency upgrade on your ruin spam. Then, in DWT, both Ruin 3 and Ruin 4 are instants so you can run around doing mechanics while still spamming them. I guess that will help some, but I only play smn occasionally.

Meciu

Thank you for the ShopTo promotion. Finally a promotion for someone from Poland. Got the items bacically for free when I sold the time card to a FC friend.

dramatis

Dramatis Personae

Disciple of War or Magic level 70
Kugane (X:12.2 Y:12.3)
Keiten
Players must first complete the main scenario quest "Stormblood."
thinkingemoji
A new area within the Lost Canals of Uznair, the Hidden Canals of Uznair, has been added.
Canalception
Glamours can be applied to the gear of squadron members whose level is 51 or above.
There are going to be people who spend more time dressing up their squadron than actually adventuring with them.

However, the method that they're using here might hint at where/how they'll take player glamours in the future...UI wise.
Glamours can now be unlocked at level 15.

The party list can now display up to 10 status effects.

The numbers shown on the EXP bar now include commas.
next level bonkers

Qhon it looks like I don't need to lend you that much money

studyguy

What's with the PLD nerf of Requiscat in PVP?
Who does that help? If you can't catch someone in the first few holy spirits, likely you won't in the last few since they'll run out of range.

Wilsongt

thinkingemoji

Canalception

There are going to be people who spend more time dressing up their squadron than actually adventuring with them.

However, the method that they're using here might hint at where/how they'll take player glamours in the future...UI wise.

next level bonkers

Qhon it looks like I don't need to lend you that much money

All catgirl and psoriasis girls party in armor from DD or in bikinis.

Redx508

bt1.png

i'm running a full gaf run for patch day (gaf members only)

9pm EST, Discord is a must(you don't have to talk)

if we have enough players online early in the day we could setup a earlier run also.

don't forget to repair your gear!

rubius01

i'm running a full gaf run for patch day (gaf members only)

9pm EST, Discord is a must(you don't have to talk)

if we have enough players online early in the day we could setup a earlier run also.[/B]

don't forget to repair your gear!

The dream of the time-out is ALIVE

aceface

Red. I tell you every time make it at 9pm Eastern or most of the people from my group can't participate. Why you no listen??

8pm is generally too early for west coast folks to do evening things.

MechaX

So the summoner improvements are nerfs?

What the hell?

They are not really nerfs, but they are definitely... weird.

R3 is a direct upgrade, so the reduced potency makes sense. The question here is what the MP cost is going to look like at the end of the day. Aetherflow still gives shit MP regen, but the class has been used to using full MP since HW.

Aetherpact has the right idea, but those buff percentages... eh... we'll see.

The R4 change is okay, but kind cements how Bahamut is still "R2 Spam mode," and everything about Bahamut is still going to be clunky as fuck.

I just hope that the changes at least gives you an incentive to maximize DWT again like HW, rather than usually prematurely blowing it for those burst numbers like some points in SB.

Top Bottom