• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT2| Y'all Need to Calm Down (Ultimate)

I finsihed the MSQ today. The last boss was really well done. A lot easier then the last boss of Stormblood was though.
Yeah, I think they listened a bit too much to the "Shinryu is too hard!" complaints from SB. They even handed out AF gear as part of the MSQ this time to make absolutely sure that people are geared for it (since some people are allergic to job quests for some reason), but didn't make the fight harder on account of that fact. A bit of a bummer, but it was followed up by a great ending so whatever.

Overall I thought the expansion was excellent. Right up there with Heavensward.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Looks like a bunch of houses got demolished on my server. It's funny to watch the crowds spamming the placard hoping to get them. Bit of a waste of time right now when servers are so active around an expansion launch. Usually better to grab a house during a content lull when not many people are logging in and houses are still getting demolished.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just made it to lv 70 (still haven't finished Storm Blood yet though). Just 10 more levels and then I'll be at the max level possible for the first time ever. :messenger_sunglasses:
I thought the pre-order earrings only gave extra exp if you were below lv 70 but I just realized that it includes lv 70 as well so these will help me out for one more level.
I wish I hadn't missed the ff15 crossover event though, as that car mount is awesome.

Edit: I did the lv 70 dragoon job quest and this new samurai looking dragoon armor is awesome, plus the new ability is really cool too.

Edit 2: just finished the main story for storm blood. I definitely got carried during the final boss fight lol. I really enjoyed this expansion... the characters, the story, the designs, the music, locations, story, etc... were all great. Next up is the post-expansion content/patches before I can move on to shadow bringers.

Last edited:
I think I am going to rejoin. I quit playing a few months ago (PC) and I just got a new gaming laptop for my vacation.

The new content looks so damn good.

YukiOnna

Finally finished the 2.0 ARR Story line, and have started the pre-HW patch quests today. Looks like I'll be pretty much way above level by the time I get to HW, lol.

Needless to say, I've been really enjoying it. The story felt like a nice return to an actual Final Fantasy and while it's only one arc, I really enjoyed the Garlean antagonists and how they weren't really evil at all per-se. Fun stuff. I'm looking forward to finally starting the Hildibrand quests.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Downed story mode Titania and was surprised how many mechanics the fight had compared to other story mode 8-man fights in previous expansions. That being said, I'm not sure I'd want to get that in trial roulette because it could be a disaster. Still only just hit 74 tonight and been taking my time enjoying the story. So much stuff happening. =O

Anyone else find that mobs in the new leveling dungeons have way to many hit points? It feels like it takes forever for stuff to die, especially the bosses. I like the mechanics they have, but the fights kinda drag out.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Downed story mode Titania and was surprised how many mechanics the fight had compared to other story mode 8-man fights in previous expansions. That being said, I'm not sure I'd want to get that in trial roulette because it could be a disaster. Still only just hit 74 tonight and been taking my time enjoying the story. So much stuff happening. =O

Anyone else find that mobs in the new leveling dungeons have way to many hit points? It feels like it takes forever for stuff to die, especially the bosses. I like the mechanics they have, but the fights kinda drag out.

That fight is quite simple if DPS follows and order lol. :)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Storm blood spoiler

When Lakshmi gets summoned in the throne room and then you have to run around stopping the balls of light from touching people was HARD lol. I think it took me 4 or 5 tries. Oof.

Vanethyr

How’s the new expansion GAF? I stopped playing like 9 months ago but not because I got bored, because I started playing other things.

In a word: superb.

Finished the MSQ last night and it honestly surpassed all of my expectations. I had a lot of concerns going into it, but not only are they all gone now, they've been replaced with nothing but excitement to see where the story goes next.

It's been a while since all I've wanted to do is go home and play FFXIV, so I'm glad to have that back again if anything.

They have nailed so much for me in Shadowbringers - from the already memorable music (I find myself frequently humming or whistling songs from it) to the stellar Japanese voice acting, to the world design that I can only describe as nostalgic. Not within the context of XIV, there's just something about the design in Shadowbringers that makes me feel things that a JRPG hasn't made me feel in what feels like an age.

If you can find the time to get back into it, I would implore you to do so just for the experience and story alone, even if you don't intend to stick around for the endgame content.

Thabass

Get on my level.

2OwbPZ1.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally cashed in almost all of my maxed out allagan tombstones to get the best gear I could get (I needed higher ilvl gear to advance the story). Feels good to have gear this nice :messenger_sunglasses:
I bought it at the shop in Ralgar's reach.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Last boss of the expansion was something else. Specially that music. Holy moly.

My computer almost died at that last cinematic. Literally looked 10 fps. But other than that been a smooth ride.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Only a quarter of the people on my friends list or the LS'es I'm on seem to have come back for this expansion. Early access craziness aside, it does feel like there is less interest in this expansion. Not saying it's a bad one, but people I know who have played in the past are in no rush to come back as the game has a familiar formula to it now. They'd rather wait 6 months to a year then come back for a month to binge on the story then unsubscribe again. Also noticed that the number of people watching streams when the expansion hit was way down on Twitch this go around, further suggesting to me that interest isn't as high for ShB. I guess we'll see in a month or two when most people are level capped and have to decide whether they want to remain subbed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Only a quarter of the people on my friends list or the LS'es I'm on seem to have come back for this expansion. Early access craziness aside, it does feel like there is less interest in this expansion. Not saying it's a bad one, but people I know who have played in the past are in no rush to come back as the game has a familiar formula to it now. They'd rather wait 6 months to a year then come back for a month to binge on the story then unsubscribe again. Also noticed that the number of people watching streams when the expansion hit was way down on Twitch this go around, further suggesting to me that interest isn't as high for ShB. I guess we'll see in a month or two when most people are level capped and have to decide whether they want to remain subbed.

After completing the MSQ I haven’t logged in much. While the MSQ is one of the best they have made the endgame is really weak. I don’t do extreme mode raids so there’s not much to look forward to.

My account has been subbed since ARR but I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up starting to cancel and binge the story once every 6 months like a lot of people do. Stormblood had this same issue too but I stuck through it. Building relics casually in Heavensward always gave me something to work towards. Eureka stunk. I’m interested in seeing what they do with relics this round.

RPGCrazied

When is the new game plus thing coming? Is it just for shadowbringers? Would be really cool if it applies to every expansion. Like for Dancer I'd like to redo the story of Stormblood to level up, not just fate grind.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
After completing the MSQ I haven’t logged in much. While the MSQ is one of the best they have made the endgame is really weak. I don’t do extreme mode raids so there’s not much to look forward to.

My account has been subbed since ARR but I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up starting to cancel and binge the story once every 6 months like a lot of people do. Stormblood had this same issue too but I stuck through it. Building relics casually in Heavensward always gave me something to work towards. Eureka stunk. I’m interested in seeing what they do with relics this round.

The endgame is nothing different than what has been around since ARR. It is not any weaker than any previous expansions.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The endgame is nothing different than what has been around since ARR. It is not any weaker than any previous expansions.

Relics used to be enough to keep me casually entertained. They took that away last expansion for me when they replaced that with Eureka, which was terrible. POTD was fun and fresh when it released in HW too. HoH ended up being too much of the same retread.

And having a similar endgame expansion after expansion gets worse and worse with each new expansion. They really need to shake things up or add some more interesting, long last content at this point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Relics used to be enough to keep me casually entertained. They took that away last expansion for me when they replaced that with Eureka, which was terrible. POTD was fun and fresh when it released in HW too. HoH ended up being too much of the same retread.

And having a similar endgame expansion after expansion gets worse and worse with each new expansion. They really need to shake things up or add some more interesting, long last content at this point.

People enjoy the current endgame style. Constantly shaking things up will only divide players and push them away. Just look at Warcraft to see that in action. Relics were not released on launch of any expansion, they came in a later patch. Eureka was a new way of obtaining relics, but offered much of the same grind seen in previous expansions. HoH is, of course, going to be the same thing as PoTD with a new coat of paint. PotD showed what Deep Dungeons are, a new one would simply add a few different room layouts, bosses, but mostly play the same at a higher level.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
People enjoy the current endgame style. Constantly shaking things up will only divide players and push them away. Just look at Warcraft to see that in action. Relics were not released on launch of any expansion, they came in a later patch. Eureka was a new way of obtaining relics, but offered much of the same grind seen in previous expansions. HoH is, of course, going to be the same thing as PoTD with a new coat of paint. PotD showed what Deep Dungeons are, a new one would simply add a few different room layouts, bosses, but mostly play the same at a higher level.

My original post was referencing people who only come back every once in awhile. I see that a lot too. When a new patch hits the FC and friends list light up with tons of people. Two weeks later it’s back to being dead again. I don’t think the endgame is really that good and it leads to a lot of what I described above. I guess we could argue that the endgame never really was good. The devs seem fine with the way things are so everything will continue to follow the same pattern.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My original post was referencing people who only come back every once in awhile. I see that a lot too. When a new patch hits the FC and friends list light up with tons of people. Two weeks later it’s back to being dead again. I don’t think the endgame is really that good and it leads to a lot of what I described above. I guess we could argue that the endgame never really was good. The devs seem fine with the way things are so everything will continue to follow the same pattern.

Then that would be more to do with your FC than the majority of players. My FC has maintained players throughout the last two expansions with maybe 5-6 out of the 70 odd players we have.

Relics used to be enough to keep me casually entertained. They took that away last expansion for me when they replaced that with Eureka, which was terrible.
Only one area in Eureka was unequivocally bad (Pagos), which they nerfed into the ground in the run up to Shadowbringers. The other three areas were fine. If you're the type to idle around while everyone else does the work, then yes it's probably mindnumbingly boring. But the same could be said of grinding anything in this game.
I, and many others, vastly preferred Eureka/Exploration-type content for Relics than grinding/repeating old content for low percentage drops, and judging by the development team's hints thus far, there will be more to come so...

Also, let's not forget that Eureka led to one of the best dungeons experiences in the game: Baldesion Arsenal. There's nothing else like it in the game, and I can't wait to see how they implement another experience like it in ShB. :)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m currently lv 75 and finally made it to shadow bringers at last! Looking forward to the new expansion.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m a few hours into the new expansion and I’m really enjoying it so far. The plot is really interesting and has me constantly wondering what’s coming next. At first the battle music wasn’t what I expected but it’s really grown on me. The new enemies are really interesting too.

Ol'Scratch

I have to confess I have not signed into the game since the day after early release for like fifteen minutes and the day after codes went live to claim items for another ten minutes. Everyone and everything tells me that this is an amazing expansion I just can not get motivated and it genuinely sucks. I have a full roster of alts, all with at least one job at level 40+ , my main has two level 70 jobs and my back up has one level 70 job. MY main has like 18 mil, and all of my other alts have at least 5 mil + , I have an amazing beach front house in Shirogane. But again can not get f'ing motivated. What do you do for burn out other than step away?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have to confess I have not signed into the game since the day after early release for like fifteen minutes and the day after codes went live to claim items for another ten minutes. Everyone and everything tells me that this is an amazing expansion I just can not get motivated and it genuinely sucks. I have a full roster of alts, all with at least one job at level 40+ , my main has two level 70 jobs and my back up has one level 70 job. MY main has like 18 mil, and all of my other alts have at least 5 mil + , I have an amazing beach front house in Shirogane. But again can not get f'ing motivated. What do you do for burn out other than step away?
Sometimes rewatching the trailers can help, but honestly taking some time away and coming back later may not be a bad thing if you just aren’t into it at the moment.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Sometimes rewatching the trailers can help, but honestly taking some time away and coming back later may not be a bad thing if you just aren’t into it at the moment.
I ordered my first 144hz monitor, and even though I know Shadowbringers capped fps at 90 that is still better than 60 so maybe that will bring me back. The game is f'ing beautiful, the sights and sounds so if nothing else pulls me back first I am hoping that will.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Thabass

Hey y'all. I reviewed Shadowbringers for an MMO site recently!

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is without question the best Final Fantasy XIV expansion yet. The gripping story gave me quite a few gut punches. Shadowbringers is fun, fast, and fluid, largely due to the latest changes made to the battle system. If you’re looking for a brand new MMO or just want to get back into Final Fantasy XIV after a long hiatus, now’s the time to do so as this edition is wonderfully done.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished ShadowBringers. I thought the story was excellent, the music was great as usual, and it had a lot of cool bosses as well. Feels good to finally be caught up for the first time with regards to the story and being max level.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Am I the only autist in this game who intentionally doesn't use their personal chocobo? It totally ruins the atmosphere lol I still use the Chocobo Porters tho.

At level 40 Summoner now and the game is still addictive as crack. Knowing I still have a ton of story to do fills me with great joy.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Am I the only autist in this game who intentionally doesn't use their personal chocobo? It totally ruins the atmosphere lol I still use the Chocobo Porters tho.

At level 40 Summoner now and the game is still addictive as crack. Knowing I still have a ton of story to do fills me with great joy.

I use almost nothing but my Personal Chocobo. I have grown an attachment to the feathery fella. Even if I get a rare or cool mount, I tend to rely on my Chocobro.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm always stuffing my chocobo's face full of gyshal green so he can fight with me, so mine is always by my side.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Also you can fly with your personal chocobo too.

royox

Just finished the MSQ. What an ending...what a story... what a villain...maybe it's the best FF game I played since FFVII or even. I'm still shaking man.

Mecha Meow

Don't feel bad, I haven't played since around that time too because some slight IRL set backs happened plus a router and PSU kinda took a shit on me as well. I'll be getting back to the game and resuming my journey in the next day or two.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doin the whole level 46 to level 50 grind. Its actually been pretty comfy. Did thd Hunting Log for my job. Also did a buncha side quests. A lot of high 40s quests were around the sahagin beast tribe area. Glad i found em.

Just have 300k or so to go to get from 49 to 50.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Doin the whole level 46 to level 50 grind. Its actually been pretty comfy. Did thd Hunting Log for my job. Also did a buncha side quests. A lot of high 40s quests were around the sahagin beast tribe area. Glad i found em.

Just have 300k or so to go to get from 49 to 50.

No Palace of the Dead?

YukiOnna

Finished Heavensward MSQ a few days ago. Whew, I can see why people love it so much. Great story, and even if the final boss wasn't as difficult as I was expecting, at least it was purty. My only issue is the story of the ARR Patch Quests leading up to this being resolved kind of quickly and there wasn't really a set Antagonist. Looking forward to Stormblood and Zenos though as I'm a Far East aesthetic fanboy.

royox

Finished Heavensward MSQ a few days ago. Whew, I can see why people love it so much. Great story, and even if the final boss wasn't as difficult as I was expecting, at least it was purty. My only issue is the story of the ARR Patch Quests leading up to this being resolved kind of quickly and there wasn't really a set Antagonist. Looking forward to Stormblood and Zenos though as I'm a Far East aesthetic fanboy.

When you say you finished HW MSQ you mean you beat Thordan? Because the BEST boss wasn't him but the one at 3.3 patch.

even if the final boss wasn't as difficult as I was expecting,

Those bosses were AMAZING on EX difficulty, the MSQ difficulty is just "enjoy the ride". On Stormblood they decided to make a harder MSQ final boss and the forums were flooded by casuls crying "MSQ final boss so hard nerf nerf nerf!!!" so we will never see a challenge final boss as MSQ xD

Last edited:

YukiOnna

When you say you finished HW MSQ you mean you beat Thordan? Because the BEST boss wasn't him but the one at 3.3 patch.

Those bosses were AMAZING on EX difficulty, the MSQ difficulty is just "enjoy the ride". On Stormblood they decided to make a harder MSQ final boss and the forums were flooded by casuls crying "MSQ final boss so hard nerf nerf nerf!!!" so we will never see a challenge final boss as MSQ xD

Yup I mean Thordan. I refer to post Expansion quests as patch quests haha. I'm looking forward to 3.3 then! I'll probably take it slower now so I can branch out properly since it's been nothing but story.

That's a shame because the Ascians were a more difficult boss than Thordan haha (and the fucking Demon Tome in the library). Where do I go to unlock the EX versions for HW? Waking Sands as usual?

Top Bottom