• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FINAL FANTASY XV: Facing Traditions" MomoCon '17 Keynote (transcript, slides, video)

Koozek

Interesting talk on FFXV's game design by Takatsugu Nakazawa, who worked as a Battle Planer/Battle Director/Lead Game Designer on FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, Crisis Core: FFVII, Type-0, and FFXV (he even owns the patents for FFX's Sphere Grid, and FFVIII's Junction System, for example).

"Below is the transcript for Final Fantasy: Facing Traditions, a keynote given at MomoCon on Saturday, May 27, 2017, from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm, at the Georgia World Congress Center, Georgia, U.S.A.

In this keynote, RPG Design Lead Takatsugu Nakazawa discusses the Final Fantasy aspects Business Division 2 kept and challenged during the development of FINAL FANTASY XV. He also discusses what he would want to keep and change in the next Final Fantasy."

Source with the transcript, slides, and video (huge thanks to Reddit's @BlindingAwesomeness and @NudeNoctis69 for this work, and thanks to our @wmlk for pointing out):
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/6f4st2/reference_final_fantasy_xv_facing_traditions/

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAa6cgwpdco
---

On challenged traditions:
4m38Gx5.png
We'll start off with the areas where we challenged the traditions.

The first up, Level Design. This is about the world map design, the enemy placements, everything that you experience. Previous Final Fantasies have generally been story driven in the design nature. This time around, because it was an open world, we changed this drastically.

Anyone who has played previous Final Fantasies should be well aware the level design never got in the way of the story. The story progression and getting the story through to the player was the priority when we designed the games. Side paths were always obvious, and it was always up to the player if they wanted to take that side path, but we never did anything to hinder the main story experience.

Obviously, in an open-world design with FFXV, player can go where they want to at any given point of the game. We kind of changed—we broke down all the barriers and we changed the entire way we designed the world map.

But of course, there still is the main story to tell. We had to make sure the main objectives—the main missions—were clear to the player but offering enough choices and side quests to the player simultaneously. At a pretty early point in the game, you have to get from point A to point B, but on the way there, you have the option of going to get access to the chocobos. We wanted to give players enough choice and enough freedom to do things as they want, but there's still the main story that's always there for the player.

The next feature we really changed up was the battle system.

Previous Final Fantasies have more or less been command-based, where you kind of choose what the moves the characters are going to do. This time around, complete real time action where you're in the middle of the battle at all times and you're making the decisions.

As technology improved, and we're able to realize this open-world game, it only made sense to offer a real-time action battle system where the players really feel immersed into the game world and the game experience. We didn't feel it was right to combine this open-world design with a command-based battle system.

And the last thing we really challenged was the Leveling Balance.

What we mean by ”Leveling Balance" is about the pace at which your party levels up and gets stronger. Previous Final Fantasies, everything has been about what your party level was. So the story was designed in a way where we said, ”Okay, at this point in the story, your party should be about this level, and you should be able to fight this boss or these enemies. And if you're under that level, then you'd have a hard time. If you're over that level, you would have an easier time." And that's how the game was designed previously.

Because this time around it was an open-world game, people can kind of play the game at their own pace and progress at their own pace, and we couldn't tie the game design and balance to your party level because people play differently.

We changed the balance to be more playtime based, which means we lowered the experience you get from monsters. So you can't spend hours grinding and getting an unfair advantage over other players; but on the other hand, what we did was we made the experience you get from completing quests—side quests, main quests—to be a lot more. So it was a more natural flow for the players. They could spend their hours in the game the way they want to. But at the end of the game—at the end of the day, everyone will have a very similar experience in terms of difficulty level.

These were the three areas where we made the most changes against the Final Fantasy tradition.​

On traditions kept:
The next three things are areas where we kept the Final Fantasy tradition in line.

The first would be the System Features.

This includes everything you see in a typical Final Fantasy: the leveling up, the equipment, items, magic, transportation. These are features that we feel are important to, and kind of the identity for, Final Fantasy. We decided to make sure the elements were in FINAL FANASY XV, as well.

For transportation, specifically, a lot of Final Fantasies have different means of transportation: chocobos, ships, airships. This time around, we featured the car—the Regalia—as the main means of transportation, and ultimately, if you customize it enough, you can fly with the Regalia. While we did things new, we kept the traditions in line in terms of the way you experience the game.

While we did make certain, specific changes, overall, the System Design—the System Features for an FF RPG are more or less intact for FFXV, as well.

The next feature which we kept in place was the Ability System.

From a game designer's perspective, we look at the abilities as something entirely different from your party level. Your party level, if you consider it on a vertical axis, the higher you are, the more powerful you are. But on the other hand, the ability, the way we look at it, is more of a horizontal axis. It gives you more variety and more versatility in your gameplay, but isn't directly tied to how strong your party level is.

Obviously, though, the more abilities you get as you progress through the game, some of those newer abilities will be stronger than the ones you had before, but those don't break the balance at all. What they do, or what they're meant to do, is give you more means of planning out your strategy. And that's kind of how we look at the ability system.

For FFXV, as you gathered abilities, you have more options for your party commands, you can have more efficient magic synthesis. We've given you guys more tools for you to play the game in a certain style and the way that you like, but those aren't directly tied to giving you clear advantage in battle.

We did make some very minor changes to the ability system, but overall, the main mindset for the Ability System is just to give you more options to use and more ways to enjoy the game.

And the last feature we kept in place, we call it Game Over Prevention. It's not a term you always hear often, but this is something we actually do for every Final Fantasy.

For previous Final Fantasies, the story being the most important thing, we made efforts to prevent Game Overs so that we're not taking you out of the story. We want to make sure you're continuing your story and your experience. So we made a bunch of efforts and things you probably can't see to make sure you don't run into Game Overs that often.

For FFXV, as well, we made certain efforts to prevent players from seeing the Game Over screen, but the rationale and the reasoning why was different.

In an open-world design, you're able to go where you want, and you might run into an area where you're not supposed to go yet, or the enemies are way too strong and you might die right away, but we didn't want that experience to really hinder your overall game—the feeling you get from the game.

For FINAL FANTASY XV, let's say you do go explore the beaten path and you run into an enemy that's too strong. We made sure you're able to escape. You know, there's plenty of opportunity to escape so that you don't see the Game Over screen. The screenshot you see here on the slide is Carbuncle. If you play the game on Easy mode, every time you're in Danger, he'll come out and keep Noctis alive. We almost made a game that's almost impossible to see the Game Over screen.

Some of the stronger mob hunts, obviously we made sure that Carbuncle doesn't come out. But in those situations, you can just carry on with 99 Hi-Potions or Ex-Potions, and you should be able to make it through. And it's probably an experience you've had in previous Final Fantasies where you're like, ”You know what? I have this many potions, I should be alright." And that's kind of the same mentality we had when designing this Game Over Prevention for FFXV.

These were kind of the features where we kept the traditions in line.

In summary, things we did challenge this time around was revolving around this new open-world design. Everything we made the changes so that it fits in place. Things that we kept in line were things that we felt were FF traditions should remain and should carry on, even with our newest title.

In terms of FFXV game design, that's about the extent that I can talk to about. But since I'm here and since we have this wonderful opportunity, we have a little bonus topic.​

On what he would keep from FFXV if he was to make next FF:

We learned a lot of things as we endeavored on from FFXV, and things that—three features that I'd like to carry over and continue in the next Final Fantasy would be the System Features, the Action Battle System, and the Open World design.

System Features is a repetition from the traditions that we kept for FFXV, but the identity of Final Fantasy is that all those RPG elements are in place. No matter what, we want to make sure everything is included for every numbered Final Fantasy title.

The second feature we'd like to carry over is the Action Battle System from FFXV.

What we learned from our experience in designing the Action Battle System for FFXV is that players have two ways of winning in battle. One is the traditional RPG style where they're just strong enough to beat certain enemies. But on the other hand, you could kind of encounter enemies that are much stronger, but if you're god at the Action, you could actually win. So after we designed FFXV, we thought there's a lot of room and a lot of potential for this kind of system.

In keeping, obviously, RPG at the baseline, we want to make sure that the next—I want to make sure that my next game would have an Action Battle System that really does take advantage of the RPG aspect.

And lastly, what we did with FFXV, the open-world design, that's something I'd like to explore once again.

We broke a lot of traditions in designing an open-world game with FFXV, and we saw a lot of things—we saw a lot of the potential that an open-world design has, and we don't want to go backwards. We want to continue moving forward in this direction and it's something I'd like to definitely put in place for my next FF.

These are the three things I would probably carry over from FFXV, but obviously, if we just did this, it would just be another FFXV. So there are certain things that I'd like to change next time around.

On what he would change if he was to make the next FF:

The three things would be Story Placement, Ability and Leveling System, and Leveling Balance.

For Story Placement, when you really think about it, FFXV had a very similar design with previous FF where the main story was clear to the player, and the optional side quests were also very obvious to the player.

What I'm thinking is to really take advantage of the open-world design, maybe the main story shouldn't always be so obvious to the player. Maybe the player should have to explore and kind of find out where they need to go next. And maybe it's just the line between the main story and the side quests are a little blurred where it's more of a gradation and more of a blend, so the side quests are more of an extension of the main story. And so it's more about the players seeing the adventure through on their own.

Ability and Leveling System, when we look at FFXV, it was actually pretty orthodox. I mean, the design was different, but what was intended to do was the same as any other FF.

With FFVII, there was the Materia System. FFX, there was the Sphere Grid. FFs always have something new in their back pocket, and next time around, I would like to make a brand new system.

One idea I have is for every player character that becomes part of your party, they have a different means of leveling up.

Maybe one character would have a very traditional means of leveling up where it's really just about gaining experience and leveling up. Maybe a second character, their leveling up is purely based on how many times they actually attack enemies and how many times they get hit by enemies. Maybe a third character is a blue mage, and they level up only when they learn a new spell from an enemy. Maybe if we want to make a true open-world design, maybe the characters all should have different features, different attributes, and design a leveling system that revolves around those unique characters.

If we take it to a far extreme, maybe there's one character who doesn't level up at all, but their strength is completely dictated by the amount of accessories and the amount of equipment that they equip.

Maybe it's about building off the uniqueness of each of the characters. Maybe where they're from in that open world dictates what kind of character they are, how they level up. But a game that's that open, I think, has a lot of potential to be fun.

Again, going back to the earlier point, ability is more on a horizontal axis, so what we plan to do is just make sure that it gives you more options and more variety in your gameplay style. The leveling system is dictated to how strong your party is, but it's this blend of these two systems that we think that we could take a new approach next time around.

And the last feature that we'd want to change up is the Leveling Balance.

For FFXV, this is an area where we change up. It used to be your character level-based, but now it's more playtime based. The reason we did that for FFXV was we wanted to make sure, because it's an open world you could explore how you want to, we want to make sure everyone has a good experience in and they don't encounter anything that hinders their overall game experience.

But one thing I learned from designing a playtime-based Leveling Balance for FFXV is that while you can explore everywhere in the world, the entire world felt a little flat in terms of there weren't that many areas that were drastically different than one another. So that was definitely one takeaway that I feel I got from FFXV.

Maybe next time around the main story should still be clear to the player, but maybe the side quests offer up a lot more color. Maybe some are extremely difficult, some are extremely easy, some are very serious, some are very fun. But just giving a lot more variety to this open-world design and really making it feel cohesive is my goal for the next time I come around to making an FF.

As you explore an open world where there's a broad scope of places and locations, maybe if you encounter a really bizarre mission, you get a really bizarre reward. Or if you are able to conquer a really really difficult mission, you get a really powerful weapon as a reward. It's putting all those things in mind where what's around the next corner is unpredictable is what I'd like to explore.

These are kind of the ideas I have in my head about what I want to do differently next time I make an FF—the Story Placement, the Ability and Leveling System, and Leveling Balance—all revolving around this open world is something I'd like to see and realize.

As I said earlier before this section, I'm not a producer or a director, so I don't know what the next FF is going to be like. But if it were up to me, this is the kind of things I'd like to try.

On BD2's next project:

But with that being said, our team—Business Division 2—after we finish FINAL FANTASY XV, we're constantly working on something new, and so we hope that you guys look forward to our next project.

I'd take BD2 making a ff from scratch one day but glad to hear the new ip is still the focus going forward for now.

His ideas for level progression has me intrigued too

TuXx

What I’m thinking is to really take advantage of the open-world design, maybe the main story shouldn’t always be so obvious to the player. Maybe the player should have to explore and kind of find out where they need to go next. And maybe it’s just the line between the main story and the side quests are a little blurred where it’s more of a gradation and more of a blend, so the side quests are more of an extension of the main story.

Someone's been playing Witcher 3.

Thoraxes

But one thing I learned from designing a playtime-based Leveling Balance for FFXV is that while you can explore everywhere in the world, the entire world felt a little flat in terms of there weren’t that many areas that were drastically different than one another. So that was definitely one takeaway that I feel I got from FFXV.
Understatement of the century.

Given the content of this speech, from my purely selfish POV, I really hope he doesn't get to work on the next FF in a higher capacity. I do not like any of the carroyover stuff discussed at all.

The side quest design stuff came across as tone-deaf too.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't know how they can get away with saying they kept equipment when they slimmed that down to a shadow of its former self.

And I have no idea what they're talking about when they say:
And the last feature we kept in place, we call it Game Over Prevention. It’s not a term you always hear often, but this is something we actually do for every Final Fantasy.

nroPAiN.gif

Ydelnae

Will save this to read it later. Having a quick glimpse, I'm not sure about how they understand FFXV's story being told in a traditional FF format and how they feel like they need to make the story in an hypothetical next FF game less obvious to the player and shared through optional content.

StereoVsn

Will save this to read it later. Having a quick glimpse, I'm not sure about how they understand FFXV's story being told in a traditional FF format and how they feel like they need to make the story in an hypothetical next FF game less obvious to the player and shared through optional content.
Well you still have accessories, costumes that are not purely cosmetic (although can't buy them), and weapons (which give stats even placed in diff slots). Admittedly they slimmed down a lot on these and some sort of a crafting system with more armor/weapon combos would have been nice.

Griss

Some of the stronger mob hunts, obviously we made sure that Carbuncle doesn’t come out. But in those situations, you can just carry on with 99 Hi-Potions or Ex-Potions, and you should be able to make it through. And it’s probably an experience you’ve had in previous Final Fantasies where you’re like, “You know what? I have this many potions, I should be alright.” And that’s kind of the same mentality we had when designing this Game Over Prevention for FFXV.

So this design failure was intentional?!? My mind is fucking blown.

I think enemies level scaling with you (like in FFVIII) would solve alot of their difficulty problems that he talks about. I'd also like a hard mode because as he pointed out, players can just go stock up on potions and almost kill anything in the game.

jiggle

Well you still have accessories, costumes that are not purely cosmetic (although can't buy them), and weapons (which give stats even placed in diff slots). Admittedly they slimmed down a lot on these and some sort of a crafting system with more armor/weapon combos would have been nice.
It would've made the world more interesting to explore that's for sure

JayEH

Well for someone who has the patent on the Sphere Grid, the leveling/ability unlock system in XV was pretty bad. They didn't seem to intend for you to unlock everything which was a dumb decision and they kept some very essential abilities behind ridiculous AP gates.

Squire

Banned
For all the ardent defense of XV, there are enough damning quotes here to put a grave digger out of work.

Good thing BD2 is moving on to a new IP, to say the least.

Ochibi

Some of the stronger mob hunts, obviously we made sure that Carbuncle doesn’t come out. But in those situations, you can just carry on with 99 Hi-Potions or Ex-Potions, and you should be able to make it through. And it’s probably an experience you’ve had in previous Final Fantasies where you’re like, “You know what? I have this many potions, I should be alright.” And that’s kind of the same mentality we had when designing this Game Over Prevention for FFXV.

I see what he means. When I had a lot of X-Potions or Elixir, I was telling myself : Oh I'm good, I'll never die. That happened a lot for me in FFVII, FFVIII for example. The thing is, it was "well hidden" before.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
He sounds like a nice guy but most of the FFXV team should never, ever attempt to make a RPG ever again.

Epcott

Hmmm... I was happy to see him mention open world was flat, but I had hoped he would be refering to environment variety and world interaction (such as snowy or water based environments and more town) and not side mission structure.

If anything, I hope BD2 uses influences from BOTW and impliment more in depth weather and physics and truely gives the player the ability to go "anywhere" instead pf being blocked by wall like tree lines.

And for the love of all things FF, I did appreciate Wait Mode, but if they attempt action again, get a more competent team... like Platinum.

He sounds like a nice guy but most of the FFXV team should never, ever attempt to make a RPG ever again.

Dude's worked on FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, Crisis Core: FFVII, Type-0, and FFXV. Just because he did one bad game doesn't mean he should retire.

I don't know how they can get away with saying they kept equipment when they slimmed that down to a shadow of its former self.

nroPAiN.gif

What, do you think all the people who say they got through the older games just by using attack and occasionally healing were lying too? The mainline games have never been particularly difficult, not counting optional content of course. And he's being clear that they're doing it for the sake of the story.

Sure, he did some good stuff years ago. But his last 3 games have had terrible battle systems and design. And he wants to carry the XV action battle system into his next FF game?... Let's hope he doesn't do another one.

Zeel

Eh, it could be worse, it could be XIII.
That was when FF hit rock bottom and I hope we never go back there.

Koozek

nroPAiN.gif
Dude, I don't get why it's so hard for you to see that FF since at least FFVI were super easy outside of boss-battles and made so that more casual players wouldn't be too frustrated if they wanted to get through the main story^^ I've seen the Game Over screen maybe a handful of times in each FF since FFVII. You could easily stock up on items too in them. Let's be real, we all had dozens of all kinds of potions and stuff that we never used anyway (not even for the final boss, lol).

And what's wrong with the equipment? 4 weapons for Noctis or main plus sub-weapon for the rest, then 3 accessories each. There aren't less slots than in FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, or FFX for example. What difference does it make if they aren't called headgear, arm protection, armor etc.? There's not less customization than before. Accessories have very different effects that can make for different play styles. For example, when I was playing recently I focused my party's equipment on boosting the Technique gauge speed and Noctis' on decreasing MP consumption for evading while also having Auto-Dodge through the Black Hood accessory. My Tech gauge loads up so fast, I'm unstoppable now with Ignis' Overwhelm while having the Bow of the Clever equipped for a crazy long combo string, the Ultima Blade as my main weapon for powerful warp-strikes, and the Shield of Just for AOE warp-strikes :D

I think with the strong results for FFXV and the realities of modern AAA development, it's probably the template that SE will be using for the series going forward and not just if it's developed by BD2. I wouldn't be surprised if bringing FFVIIr in house was so they could retool it to adhere more to the new FF blueprint.

Still I expect XV is more of a first draft of what Final Fantasy will look like for the next decade at least, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they refine the formula.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Dude, I don't get why it's so hard for you to see that FF since at least FFVI were super easy outside of boss-battles and made so that more casual players wouldn't be too frustrated if they wanted to get through the main story^^ I've seen the Game Over screen maybe a handful of times in each FF since FFVII. You could easily stock up on items too in them. Let's be real, we all had dozens of all kinds of potions and stuff that we never used anyway (not even for the final boss, lol).

And what's wrong with the equipment? 4 weapons for Noctis or main plus sub-weapon for the rest, then 3 accessories each. There aren't less slots than in FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, or FFX for example. What difference does it make if they aren't called headgear, arm protection, armor etc.? There's not less customization than before. Accessories have very different effects that can make for different play styles. For example, when I was playing recently I focused my party's equipment on boosting the Technique gauge speed and Noctis' on decreasing MP consumption for evading while also having Auto-Dodge through the Black Hood accessory. My Tech gauge loads up so fast, I'm unstoppable now with Ignis' Overwhelm while having the Bow of the Clever equipped for a crazy long combo string, the Ultima Blade as my main weapon for powerful warp-strikes, and the Shield of Just for AOE warp-strikes :D

I would be more accepting of the easy gameplay if the story was good. I think that's the problem I have with games is that if one aspect is good if not great then some of the shortcomings of the game are easily overlooked. In the case with FFXV, I don't think it really applies....

BasilZero

I would like to see them make a new IP out of the FFXV system.

Anyways, Type-1 please lol

I'd rather have someone else make FFXVI (Not Tabata or Nomura).

ViciousDS

Banned
just......don't bring back the shitty magic system next time and I'll be happy.

Outside of Level grinding with it, it was rarely ever used and I killed every mob there is including all optionals by just warping and using links/physical attacks

Squire

Banned
I see what he means. When I had a lot of X-Potions or Elixir, I was telling myself : Oh I'm good, I'll never die. That happened a lot for me in FFVII, FFVIII for example. The thing is, it was "well hidden" before.

Right. There's a reason you sit on things like Elixirs in the old games. You usually only had like five or six at most even then though. You certainly didn't go buy fifty or more and make yourself ostensibly invincible lol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Dude's worked on FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, Crisis Core: FFVII, Type-0, and FFXV. Just because he did one bad game doesn't mean he should retire.

John Carpenter is my favorite director. I know he's shot by now. Sometimes, you have to let go.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems they didn't take the most important lesson from FF15 based on what they say here

butman

If they want to keep the action system. It will be interesting to see Platinum involved in XVI.

Squire

Banned
It seems they didn't take the most important lesson from FF15 based on what they say here

The way they talk about the game vs it's reception in reality are pretty incongruous. The games best parts are still pretty contentiously argued. These guys are counting wins they don't really deserve to. XIII team was more transparent and reflective than this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Eh, it could be worse, it could be XIII.
That was when FF hit rock bottom and I hope we never go back there.
XV is my rock bottom.

XIII looked like a one-off they could recover from. XV confirmed that the teams at Square have chronic issues.

XV finally removed FF from being my favorite series in gaming after 22 years.

akumu

I dont think the next ff should be full open world. Not everyone can do that well

I'm with you on this. They can keep the action battle system, the story and whatnot. However, they should go for a more level-based approach, like.. the Tales of games. Or at least smaller, gated areas.

I honestly don't think FF should keep going open world. You can have big explorable environments without going full open world that bombards you with distractions and kills any pacing for the story.
I like FFs being story driven.

jackdoe

For Story Placement, when you really think about it, FFXV had a very similar design with previous FF where the main story was clear to the player, and the optional side quests were also very obvious to the player.

What I’m thinking is to really take advantage of the open-world design, maybe the main story shouldn’t always be so obvious to the player. Maybe the player should have to explore and kind of find out where they need to go next. And maybe it’s just the line between the main story and the side quests are a little blurred where it’s more of a gradation and more of a blend, so the side quests are more of an extension of the main story. And so it’s more about the players seeing the adventure through on their own.
I get that they want to make the sidequests meatier than the simple fetchquests we ended up getting, but the main story event scenes were so sparse in the final product that I'm not sure it's a great idea to make it even more nebulous by making them harder to trigger.

Reset

Nice to see they want to keeping action system. I hope they keep XV's system and expand upon it for the future games.

Strings

Daww, so the combat of the next BD2 game is going to suck again :(

... If I'm understanding him correctly. I have no problem with real-time combat - just this particularly imprecise and messy implementation of it.

I get that they want to make the sidequests meatier than the simple fetchquests we ended up getting, but the main story event scenes were so sparse in the final product that I'm not sure it's a great idea to make it even more nebulous by making them harder to trigger.

I don't think it's about the sparsity of story stuff but more about the game always making it clear where you had to go and what you had to do next.

Take for example when you first leave Leide and go to Duscae. The game tells you to go to Lestallum and speak to Iris. What if instead you don't get told what to do, you just have to explore around, talk to NPCs complete sidequests, etc. Then someone tells you that a lot of Insomnian refugees were heading to Lestallum, so the player now knows to investigate and once you get there, hey it's Iris. The player has arrived at the same point but rather than being given a precise instruction they've had to engage with the world and follow up on things themselves.

Top Bottom