• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Final ATR at TGS 2017 [UP] Story updates continue into 2018

THE GUY

Banned
FFXV would've made a great 15-20 hour action adventure game. Remove the open world, keep the action system, and create a more expanded linear structure like the second half on maximum steroids. They could've included more scenario that way too, along with keeping the invasion in the game. You can already somewhat play it like that, but the structure is obviously there to make you play in the open world more which creates a disconnect.

I'm hoping Tabata goes that route with his next game, but all indications are he's going deep, deep, deep into open world's ass.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the GAAS model that they have been pushing with XV, especially in the case of a huge single player RPG. I feel like it's unfair to everyone who paid the full price (my condolences to the poor souls who bought the UCE) at the game's release when someone who maybe paid less because they bought the game half a year later gets a more polished experience.
I'm a-ok thanks for asking!

Zojirushi

PC ver is just the bros dlc included. It will still be missing stuff.. I'll say this even with the story additions that won't change the opinion of the majority. The issues will still be present and to those waiting for everything to be added can't wait for the "this is it?" Just play the game as it is.

Yeah I get that but at this point I've waited so long, might as well wait until they come out and say alright folks, this is it for real.

Also I'm sure the PC version will be a hot mess at release so I'll have to wait until that gets fixed anyway.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm just not a fan of the GAAS model that they have been pushing with XV, especially in the case of a huge single player RPG. I feel like it's unfair to everyone who paid the full price (my condolences to the poor souls who bought the UCE) at the game's release when someone who maybe paid less because they bought the game half a year later gets a more polished experience.

That's the buyers fault.

They didn't say important infos about the Comrade expansion. Will it be part of the main game and accessed form the main menu or be a separate game like in the beta? Also the most important thing. Will it be available for all FFXV owners or just for those who got Season Pass or the Premium Edition? If this is the case, then it would be very dumb since it will shrink the player base very much (players not only need PSN Plus to play but also Season Pass). And how will they deal with those that don't get Season Pass but get each Episode DLC alone?

FinalAres

Interesting, so are we expecting the next update with the summons story section, to be released at the same time as comrades?

No, people's inclination to work as freelance crisis management for a corporation that basically ripped people off is very unnecessary and honestly quite sad.
Like I said unnecessary. He didn't say anything outrageous that was uncalled for. Digs at the game are whatever but it seems childish to target the ppl enjoying what's happening now. They enjoyed the game, ppl like kh 2final mix for example and consider it the best in the series. That's all that comment could've been

Niosai

No, people's inclination to work as freelance crisis management for a corporation that basically ripped people off is very unnecessary and honestly quite sad.
"How dare you enjoy news about a game you like. Why can't you all be spiteful like me?"

I enjoyed the game when it came out and I enjoy them adding even more content for me to enjoy in the future. There's literally no downside for me. I don't feel that I was ripped off at all. Dragging other people down because you feel burned isn't very proactive and won't get you far.

Squire

Banned
Like I said unnecessary. He didn't say anything outrageous that was uncalled for. Digs at the game are whatever but it seems childish to target the ppl enjoying what's happening now. They enjoyed the game, ppl like kh 2final mix for example and consider it the best in the series. That's all that comment could've been

Please learn to read. I didn't say a single word about Toth or anyone else enjoying the game. I actually never do.

Seriously, you are as free to enjoy your game as I am to think that it's very shitty. These things can and do coexist. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Niosai

Please learn to read. I didn't say a single word about Toth or anyone else enjoying the game. I actually never do.

Seriously, you are as free to enjoy your game as I am to think that it's very shitty. These things can and do coexist. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

You literally quoted Toth, trying to drag them down. It's not that you're not free to dislike the game, it's that you shouldn't actively shame others for their differing opinions.

Just let it go. The correct answer in this forum is that it sucks and it will never change. Even if the updates make the game nicer. Let Squire have the podium.

Because at the end of the day the argument will always fall back to "Well it's my opinion and it's okay that you enjoy it so that means that it's okay for me to say that you're wrong and it sucks."

Squire

Banned
Just let it go. The correct answer in this forum is that it sucks and it will never change. Even if the updates make the game nicer. Let Squire have the podium.

Because at the end of the day the argument will always fall back to "Well it's my opinion and it's okay that you enjoy it so that means that it's okay for me to say that you're wrong and it sucks."

Lol when do I ever say this? My dude you are so hurt that I think this game is bad. Like you're this close to getting it, but still not quite there!

Lol when do I ever say this? My dude you are so hurt that I think this game is bad. Like you're this close to getting it, but still not quite there!
You think I was quoting you? You're not that central to all of this. I may have used your name on the post but the quote is a culmination of other posts put together. It is amusing that you're here almost all the time saying the exact same crap over and over again though! I was okay with it until your last couple of posts on this page.

Why is it okay for you to complain about this nonstop when you told me to shut up when I complained in another thread about XV? It's okay if you do it but not the other side? Is that how this works?

What's even better is when you still come back and do the same shtick over and over though.

Dude honestly I think you're a really cool guy. I do. I've seen your posts on other things. We just seem to disagree on this one thing and honestly it's pretty sad for both of us. We should be able to agree to disagree on these things without having to resort to the worst kinds.

Kinda surprised they didn't show an Episode Ignis trailer given it's out in December. maybe Jump Festa?

Though to me it seems like Square's celebrating FF anniversaries have been pretty ass in recent years. It's the 30th anniversary and I could give a shit about anything related to it. Same for the 25th and the 20th anniversaries. I guess giving us FFVII on the 10th anniversary was a feat hard to outdo.

Iscariot

Yeah I get that but at this point I've waited so long, might as well wait until they come out and say alright folks, this is it for real.

Also I'm sure the PC version will be a hot mess at release so I'll have to wait until that gets fixed anyway.

I'd make a gentlemen bet that the PC version will release in a good state actually.

Kinda surprised they didn't show an Episode Ignis trailer given it's out in December. maybe Jump Festa?

Though to me it seems like Square's celebrating FF anniversaries have been pretty ass in recent years. It's the 30th anniversary and I could give a shit about anything related to it. Same for the 25th and the 20th anniversaries. I guess giving us FFVII on the 10th anniversary was a feat hard to outdo.

If you read the OT, Tabata has said that they will maybe release the trailer next month for episode Ignis.

Kusagari

Square has basically told everyone to never buy one of their RPG's on day one again. DLC is one thing, but all of this patching of story and modes into the game that should have been there day one is ridiculous.

I'll wait a year next time to play the game it was supposed to be.

Toth

Some of you have bright futures in PR spin, truly.

While people have done a fine job refuting you, I agree that I don't see your angle. THIS is the way SE wants to conduct business: extending games life cycles through player feedback and new content. Players (and fans) win and unpleasant or unpolished aspects of games can be further refined if needed.

Besides, and I must stress this, if you don't like FFXV and don't care they are making changes, move on. This is not impacting any other SE release like FFXIV did. Those days are over.

Square has basically told everyone to never buy one of their RPG's on day one again. DLC is one thing, but all of this patching of story and modes into the game that should have been there day one is ridiculous.

I'll wait a year next time to play the game it was supposed to be.

No, this is more on Tabata bringing his style to a mainline FF and the majority of fans reminding him that they expect more from a mainline FF story than his...tell-not-show approach. When a game sells almost 7 million copies and fans are clamoring for more story, you have to listen.

I didn't like the game either but man you've been pretty aggressive with the folks in here who did like it. Maybe take a little bit of a step back? "Unnecessary" is kinda my take on it, as well.

Koozek

Tabata said next month maybe. Probably at the Paris Game Week.

- With the next update including story upgrades, it is based on the Summons. And this is just part 1 of the updates to come hereon.
- In the update will also include a connection to Episode Ignis that Tabata thinks is a very important part of the story that players should know.

So we will get new story updates before Episode Ignis is released?

KupoNut

Tabata seems very aware of FFXV's story flaws and has gone to great length to talk to fans about them at Gamescom, Pax and TGS and even disclose unrevealed information and early plans to some of these fans in person (at least at Gamescom as far as I'm aware).

It might seem backwards that they're releasing spin offs, pocket and PC editions first, but those were planned well in advance before all the story backlash and the survey happened. At least they're going to the length of improving the story now, and even as far as free updates.

I get why some people who were not satisfied with the game just want the game to die and not be supported, but on the other end of the spectrum there are a lot of FFXV fans too who might really like these free updates and the support Square shows to these fans, even while developing some of these things is really costly.

Spin-offs aside, if people don't like the main game, then stop following it, there's plenty of other games out there to be hyped about, but there's no moral argument why fans of FFXV shouldn't enjoy free and new content. Square is doing nothing wrong here, yet some people on here will always disregard the constraints of game development and always find something to complain about, and that's not helping anyone.

Mailbox

So we will get new story updates before Episode Ignis is released?

If the past is anything to go by, we should expect them around the time Comrades is released, and then expect another large update when Ignis is released.

So yeah, I'd say this update of story stuff and the hunt amounts should be in late october.

Tabata seems very aware of FFXV's story flaws and has gone to great length to talk to fans about them at Gamescom, Pax and TGS and even disclose unrevealed information and early plans to some of these fans in person (at least at Gamescom as far as I'm aware).

It might seem backwards that they're releasing spin offs, pocket and PC editions first, but those were planned well in advance before all the story backlash and the survey happened. At least they're going to the length of improving the story now, and even as far as free updates.

I get why some people who were not satisfied with the game just want the game to die and not be supported, but on the other end of the spectrum there are a lot of FFXV fans too who might really like these free updates and the support Square shows to these fans, even while developing some of these things is really costly.

Spin-offs aside, if people don't like the main game, then stop following it, there's plenty of other games out there to be hyped about, but there's no moral argument why fans of FFXV shouldn't enjoy free and new content. Square is doing nothing wrong here, yet some people on here will always disregard the constraints of game development and always find something to complain about, and that's not helping anyone.

I couldn't agree more.

Giolon

And I thought it was safe playing the game now. Guess I'll trade it in and buy it again, one year from now.

Maybe they'll fix the Pro mode by then.

Ha.

But it was fixed 6 months ago? You have Lite (1080p 60fps uncapped), High (4k 1800c target 30fps, frame pacing issues), and Steady (1080p, 30fps locked, no frame pacing issues, original Lite behavior)

💯🔥

Bless you for this post, KupoNut <3

Sanojio

I'm level 17, chapter 2. Should I just keep waiting until they release all this shit? I mean i haven't been spoiled much except that the team separates eventually and I know Ardyn is the big bad, I don't know why except that he is very popular but his backstory is paper thin and they want to expand it.

I have the season pass so I been downloading everything and all I've played was the moogle festival and playing through the assassins festival since I'm a AC fan

Fj0823

I'm level 17, chapter 2. Should I just keep waiting until they release all this shit? I mean i haven't been spoiled much except that the team separates eventually and I know Ardyn is the big bad, I don't know why except that he is very popular but his backstory is paper thin and they want to expand it.

I have the season pass so I been downloading everything and all I've played was the moogle festival and playing through the assassins festival since I'm a AC fan

Chapter Select was patched in the last update.

If you want to play just enjoy yourself and then replay the updated chapters

Aru

Yep, it's totally fine not to like the game, but those people just have to move on. While I'm not entirely satisfied in the way the story was told, the plot itself was good and I liked it. I just hope there's both a way to appreciate the new story content within a new playthrough and in some theater mode or something.

Runner67

The story cutscenes are in 2018, so after the PC launch? That's pretty weird. They could flesh out the story a lot more with what, 15 minutes of cutscenes? Why is it taking so long?

Why do you think we are only getting 15 minutes of cutscenes? We have no idea if this also includes new areas to explore (especially in the second half), new features, potentially hours of more gameplay.

Holy Batman! Maybe take a step back and breathe. Maybe read KupoNut's post above. You are more than welcome in the XV community and speak your truth. Just don't needlessly attack other posters and fans who do have a different opinion than you.

Agreed. Good post, KupoNut.

Holy Batman! Maybe take a step back and breathe. Maybe read KupoNut's post above. You are more than welcome in the XV community and speak your truth. Just don't needlessly attack other posters and fans who do have a different opinion than you.
I think it would be best for everyone to not draw anymore attention to what happened around that time. All we should really focus now is the topic of the thread which is mainly how the future is going to be for this game.

Agreed. On that note, the cutscenes added will be most welcome, as the problem with the narrative wasn't with the writing, characters, or the plot, but rather the thin amount of cutscenes that needed to reiterate and fill in a few voids. I don't think any of us disagree on that. What they are doing here are effectively adding more to give a fuller picture of the entire narrative instead of solely focusing on the story from Noctis's perspective.

I believe what they will add will solve many peoples issues with the story. If you never liked the world or any of the characters I don't think these additions will do much for you. But if you do like what they started here and just wanted a fuller narrative I think you'll be getting that. It's not ideal, but I'd rather they do this than nothing at all. Starting with the Astrals is crucial as it's the one story thread people hit on the most.

On that note, people are assuming story updates will go until after the PC release or will start after the PC release when the dev team gave no indication that would be the case. Would not surprise me in the slightest if all added story content is finished before the PC release and anything they add after will pertain to Comrades and maybe some new festivals. :)

Mailbox

But it was fixed 6 months ago? You have Lite (1080p 60fps uncapped), High (4k 1800c target 30fps, frame pacing issues), and Steady (1080p, 30fps locked, no frame pacing issues, original Lite behavior)

When people say "fix pro mode" they mean fix the frame pacing issues of high.

Its gotten kinda tiring reading about it in every thread now (even though, yes, they should have worked on framepacing issues on pro). I've learned to ignore comments like that at this point.

Not good at all. The only game that had this bad (and greedy) idea of second Season Pass was Evolve and everyone knows what happened to the whole thing after.

They wouldn't be talking about a second season pass unless alot of people were still playing the game, they said almost half a million people filled out their survey from a couple of months ago.

I'm very happy with my season pass purchase, if they make DLC as good as Episode Prompto and Episode Ignis i will happily purchase another one.

And honestly, they can make a second season pass alot faster than a sequel.

Not good at all. The only game that had this bad (and greedy) idea of second Season Pass was Evolve and everyone knows what happened to the whole thing after.
Huh? Quite a few games have had multiple season passes.
The reason youve only heard of evolve is because it was shite. Xv's dlc quality has been fairly high and the main game isnt lacking as much as evolve either

They wouldn't be talking about a second season pass unless alot of people were still playing the game, they said almost half a million people filled out their survey from a couple of months ago.

I'm very happy with my season pass purchase, if they make DLC as good as Episode Prompto and Episode Ignis i will happily purchase another one.

And honestly, they can make a second season pass alot faster than a sequel.

Huh? Quite a few games have had multiple season passes.

I really hope there won't be a second Season Pass and all the updates will be eitehr free or part of the main Season Pass. Unless the newer episodes are much longer than just couple of hours of the released episodes.
I know we can't expect the quality/price of Witcher 3 Season Pass/DLCs but I hope it will be close enough.

Top Bottom