• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Analysis [GIF Heavy]

Exentryk

Spent some time analysing the gameplay of Final Fantasy XV. There may be things that I have gotten wrong, or missed, so if you find something, please post below.

HUD
  • Warp
  • Attack
  • Link Form

The static HUD image shows 5 weapons at any given time, and they can be cycled across to show more as required, for a total of 8 weapons. [Thanks Fuu for the attack and magic HUD gifs]

hjnvJAm.gif

A6tYkiA.jpg

• Item
  • Magic
  • Link Form

When Noctis uses magic, a toggle button is pressed which changes the menus Warp and Attack into Item and Magic. Magic can then be selected and executed. [Thanks duckroll]

7tc0cQF.gif

pjchSqb.jpg

The image below shows the names of the characters currently active in the party, and their HP (Hit Points). The blue gauge below Noctis's name is the Warp gauge, which I'll explain below.

mKtmKEl.jpg

General Combat

Noctis's normal attacks involve him teleporting from side to side while slashing at enemies with weapons. This is all automatic, and you only press the Attack command. His attacks can be cancelled if interrupted by enemy attacks.
Magic as mentioned above, is by toggling the command menu to magic, and then selecting the desired spell.
Noctis also has the ability to dodge roll to evade attacks.

When close up to enemies (or other situations), Noctis will perform other actions like kicking enemies, jumping over them, slamming their heads, grabbing onto Behemoths, etc. This is also via the Attack command.

The party consists of three active members, and the party members can be fairly far away from Noctis (see images under MAP). It is also possible to play as characters other than Noctis. Prompto uses guns as weapons, while Gladiolus uses heavy swords. Players can switch between characters in the middle of a fight seamlessly.

The image below shows the player controlling Prompto (note that the HUD is not working, and still shows commands for Noctis).

See the gifs below for Noctis' Attack, Magic and Other actions.

• Attack

1371012296-general-attack-command.gif

• Magic

1371011791-command-menu-magic-item-link-form.gif

• Other

1371014427-other-actions.gif

Weapons

The weapons can be cycled seamlessly. There appear to be 8 weapons in the deck, and 5 are displayed at any given time. [Thanks duckroll]. The weapons cycle toward the right and there were no leftward cycles. It suggests that only one button is allocated for it, or they just didn't bother with leftward cycles. I am guessing that you will not be able to cycle to the left, as you are unable to see which weapon you'll cycle to.

Back in 2011, Nomura said the game has swords, axes, spears, handguns, machine, guns, rifles, bazookas, shotguns, and so forth. Players can equip weapons, multiple weapons, by setting them on a menu screen. Weapons can automatically change depending on your combo.

In the image below, you'll notice that the first and third sword (from left) are repeated [Thanks Soriku], suggesting that either multiples of the same weapon, or different weapons in the same class (Spear, Double-handed sword, dagger etc) can be added to the deck.

A6tYkiA.jpg

1371030621-weapons-cycling.gif

Some weapons.

Lance:
ffxv-gameplay-0339lan2ku3n.jpg

Sword:
ffxv-gameplay-2146swoxmqz6.jpg

Sword 2:
ffxv-gameplay-2427swouepka.jpg

Short Sword:
ffxv-gameplay-2477shojtqov.jpg

Spear:
ffxv-gameplay-2647speiqqvx.jpg

"Buster Sword":
ffxv-gameplay-2711busp3uhr.jpg

"Buster Sword 2":
ffxv-gameplay-3433busdxugh.jpg

Knife:
ffxv-gameplay-3649kniemrp3.jpg

WARP

Warp works by locking onto a point and pressing the Warp command. These lock-on points are shown by an orangish-yellow circle for enemies and a faint blue circle for terrain based points. Warping is restricted to these points only, and one cannot freely warp to wherever they want. Also note that the Warp command will be greyed out until you're close enough.
I am guessing the locking on will be via a single button similar to previous Kingdom Hearts games.

Warp is a Noct-only ability. We saw examples of its "short" version in the latest trailer, but expect some footage of a "long" warp in the future. Noctis' warping is limited to the amount of bars in the blue gauge, which in the gif below means 4 times. It is not known at this stage as how the Warp gauge fills up. In the gif below, notice the yellow coloured lock-on on the soldier, the faint blue lock on above the soldier and the depletion of one bar of the Warp gauge (under Noctis' name).
It is worth noting that some parts of the gameplay trailer don't show the depletion of the gauge, meaning either the HUD is plastered on, or the gauge is not working in those particular cases.

1371009376-warp-1.gif

Images below show some examples of enemy and terrain lock-on points. [Thanks BlazingDarkness for identifying Terrain lock-ons]

LINKFORM

Linkform is a special ability that causes weapons to rise and circle around Noctis, and him striking the enemy once with every weapon in his armoury. Another point to note is how the soldier is being constantly struck by Swords falling from above. Not sure if this ability also reduces the damage you take, like shown in the trailers.
It is currently not known what restricts the repeated use of the Linkform ability.

1371006249-link-form-2.gif

Party Member Assists

Companions support the player with co-operative attacks and respond to situations with autonomous actions.
  • Noctis parrying the Iron Giant multiple times, followed by Gladiolus and Prompto assist.
    ib4nJW4HJVWxx.gif

• Prompto shooting the enemy, with his hand on Noctis' shoulder
    ff1.gif

• Gladiolus defending Noctis from Behemoth
    1371041248-gladiolus-cover.gif

Example: To trigger the 3rd (Gladiolus Cover) sequence, the player moves Noctis in a specific way while allowing the Behemoth time to perform his "standing up" action. And even though Gladiolus is far away from Noctis, the sequence is initiated.

MAP, Video etc.

The gifs below show the MAP and VIDEO functions. Could this be linked to Noctis's phone, and appear/disappear at the press of a button?

• MAP - The map also shows the party members. The symbol to the right of Noctis (arrow on map) is for Gladiolus and the other is for Prompto. [Thanks Raven777]

1371013402-gadget-map.gif

• VIDEO - Noctis talking to Gladiolus.
1371012796-gadget-video.gif

Other comments:
Summons are also in the game. They will need to be defeated to be obtained. The summons have a ranking system (hierarchy), and Leviathan is one of the highest ranked summons. That is the reason for its large size.
Multiple body parts of enemies can be targeted. Larger enemies can also be climbed on to, which will give the player the opportunity to strike weak points.

We are still waiting to learn more about the following:
Is Magic use restricted by MP (Mana/Magic points)?
What restricts the use of Linkform ability?

I look forward to new trailers to help answer the above questions. For now, I hope this analysis was enough to give you a basic understanding of the flashy and fast paced gameplay.

Trailers:

High Quality Trailers for download:

Lastly, if you haven't had enough of the WARPing, here's another GIF :D

1371016196-noctis-teleport.gif

JoeFenix

Good analysis, when I first saw the trailer I was a bit concerned with the gameplay being a QTE cinematic fest but I quickly remembered that Nomura really likes to pile on a ton of gameplay systems in his games.

I've always anticipated Versus but now I'm genuinely excited to see where it goes. I mean look at it! The artistic quality alone is enough to make me want to play this, classy doesn't even begin to describe it!

Caelestis

The whole warping business is making me think of Malicious at the moment. Also, the HUD might be just pressing some button to show new commands like it was in KH.

AB12

Great analysis and the game looks cool, just hoping that we have some kind of control over what is happening on the screen and I will be happy.
A decent story and game world would also help.

Amazing the only thing they have to fix are the character and npc models up close. They are missing depth. The environments on the other hand look amazing and so does the lighting and dof Can't wait to see this game again!

sappyday

I thought linkform was sort of like the trinity arts from kingdom hearts that allows the entire party to do a fancy move. It would of explained that one scene where all three dynamically take down that large enemy together. I wonder if it's something else, if it's scripted, or if it is actually dynamic AI.

Shinta

Banned
It looks pretty awesome, but I doubt you do the warping while attacking all automatically by just hitting attack. We know there's a dodge button for rolling around, and he can do two rolls in a row. In one of the videos he does a series of 4-5 mini warp-dashes in a row leading into a crowd of people.

And we know there's a jump button that is separate from the dodge button, and you can double jump.

I think the warping while attacking will be connected to the dodge button in combat, maybe when his weapon is drawn or maybe when holding block or something.

There's also a cover system. Might be auto-crouch like Tomb Raider. Other than that, I'm convinced on most everything else you listed.

Linkform definitely seems like it shields you from damage. It's in the battle trailer, just like the initial CG trailer.

It also shows stealth cover at the end of the battle trailer when the behemoth walks past him.

And then there's the contextual grab moves, so it's not clear if that's just "attack" or something else as well.

There's also swimming, which is probably handled like most other games. You can go under water to some extent, unlike Assassin's Creed.

Very nice little analysis. So Linkform isn't the double/triple tech move then. Huh.

Wonder what causes the special in-battle events...will they be Reaction Commands like in KH2, or more scripted, regimented things? I hope they're not scripted - it'd be lame if you take down an Iron Giant the exact same way every time.

Also, in the trailer, did I see Noctis punch a dude in the face without any weapon in hand? That's kind of awesome. I'm guessing Buzzcut Guy is a fistfighter if he's a party member...

Dunan

Additional trivia: on the police car you can make out the words 警察 (keisatsu, 'police') and 王都 (ōto, 'royal capital') on the roof. The police car looks exactly like the ones used by Japan's National Police Agency color-scheme-wise, but the writing on the roof of real police cars faces the other way (so that a helicopter trailing the car can read it). The license plate is also identical to those used in Japan.

Exentryk

I thought linkform was sort of like the trinity arts from kingdom hearts that allows the entire party to do a fancy move. It would of explained that one scene where all three dynamically take down that large enemy together. I wonder if it's something else, if it's scripted, or if it is actually dynamic AI.

That takedown of the Behemoth is just by the "Attack" command. Just have to get into the right situation and position, imo.

JoeFenix

One thing I'm really curious to learn more about is how party interaction is handled in combat. I'm thinking your linkform gauge or some other meter will come into play when dealing with your party members.

It looks like they can protect you from certain attacks or help you do some takedowns. The party interaction shown in the gameplay trailer looks really cool, loved the cheering from the blond guy after they take out the Golem thing.

It just felt like a Final Fantasy victory cheer except completely seamless.

Hopefully there is some depth to the game, also really want to learn about leveling system and customization/gear. I guess they have plenty of time to release more details though, it's not like this thing is coming out before 2015...

Caelestis

Really looking over it makes me excited for how the game might play. Just from watching the trailer it wasn't so apparent, so great job! ;]

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I kinda want to see some of the other magic. I remember in the previous trailer, the whole scene turned dark as Noctis cast some spell.

Shinta

Banned
Ah yes! We haven't seen the summons yet. Be interesting to see how they work.

Leviathan is a summon. I think they'll be more like XI and XIV, where they're key figures in the mythology and the cosmology. I don't see player summons being a part of it now.

They're in the game, but not related to the party. All he said is that they'd be in the game as far I know. They are.

Exentryk

One thing I'm really curious to learn more about is how party interaction is handled in combat.

Same. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll just automatically perform those actions in given situations.

And yeah, still a lot to come. Summons etc.

SoulUnison

Banned
Leviathan is a summon. I think they'll be more like XI and XIV, where they're key figures in the mythology and the cosmology. I don't see player summons being a part of it now.

They're in the game, but not related to the party. All he said is that they'd be in the game as far I know. They are.

If we still get Summons, I imagine it'd be more like summoning an aspect of the creature, or just imitating its attacks, Blue Magic-style.
I can't imagine being allowed to summon these city-leveling monsters in real combat.

Summon was an option in the menu in the original gameplay trailer. I think there'll be gameplay summons in some shape or form in the final game.

Shinta

Banned
If we still get Summons, I imagine it'd be more like summoning an aspect of the creature, or just imitating its attacks, Blue Magic-style.
I can't imagine being allowed to summon these city-leveling monsters in real combat.

Agreed. They seem more like terrestrial gods, like in XI. No one summons Bahamut in XI or XIV. He's a part of the story and is far above any player's ability to control.

I think summons in Versus will be like that. They won't be weaker than Leviathan. And Leviathan is pretty insane looking.

Summon was an option in the menu in the original gameplay trailer. I think there'll be gameplay summons in some shape or form in the final game.

So was EX Arts. Who knows what it is now. Definitely interested to see more summons either way.

If that's Leviathan, can you imagine Ifrit, Garuda, Ramuh .... Bahamut? Damn.

Exentryk

That would suck if they removed ally summons =/

I wonder what is required to use magic. I see no indication of a MP bar or gauge.

Good point. The older HUD had MP. Perhaps it'll be added later.

A6tYkiA.jpg

Does he have two of the same sword in his inventory? The first and third one.

Hah! Looks like it. I wonder if we can fill it up with multiples of the highest DPS weapon and just abuse Linkform.

Busaiku

I wonder if Warp will be upgraded through leveling up or through other means (like different equipment and whatnot).
It's probably the former, but I'd like the latter.

duckroll

I was discussing this with Aeana earlier, and I'm glad someone else made a thread for this. I've actually spent a good amount of time analysing the UI in the actual gameplay video (they confirmed that much of the first trailer is CG, and hence the UI is less reliable for observation).

Some points I think need to be mentioned:

- For the majority of the gameplay video, Noctis has 8 different weapons equipped. 5 are visible at a time. But it is confirmed that the load out can be customized, because at the end of the video, in the underwater scene, the order and selection of weapons shown are different.

- Magic operates via a toggle, and not a menu selection. When Noctis uses magic, a toggle button is pressed which changes the menu's "Attack" into "Magic" and displays the mapped spells available. In the video the only spell he has is Fire, and it's mapped to the circle button.

Tell me there is some sort of defend or parry? Can't build an action game without it

There's definitely a parry, but it might depend on the weapon selected. In the gameplay video, Noctis is seen repeatedly parrying the heavy weapon of an enemy using his heavy sword.

Tell me there is some sort of defend or parry? Can't build an action game without it

Noctis does parry the Iron Giant's strikes a few times at the end, though it's not clear if that's normal gameplay or a special event.

Also, Linkform seems to function similarly to the Aero spell in Kingdom Hearts, like a light guard.

Now, what would be COOL is if different weapons allow Noctis to do different things; we see him do a Dragoon Jump with a lance. It'd be cool if he could block incoming strikes with his zweihanders, for example.

Shinta

Banned
- Magic operates via a toggle, and not a menu selection. When Noctis uses magic, a toggle button is pressed which changes the menu's "Attack" into "Magic" and displays the mapped spells available. In the video the only spell he has is Fire, and it's mapped to the circle button.
Sounds like holding a trigger changes what the command menu says.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very interesting analysis. The game really seems to be attempting to shake things up, I'd say. Far and away the most interesting Final Fantasy related thing I've seen in a long time.

Noctis does parry the Iron Giant's strikes a few times at the end, though it's not clear if that's normal gameplay or a special event.
That entire animation sequence looked staged, I don't see how they could effectively reproduce something as dynamic as that appeared with regular gameplay systems, especially considering how stilted everything else looked otherwise.

That entire animation sequence looked staged, I don't see how they could effectively reproduce something as dynamic as that appeared with regular gameplay systems, especially considering how stilted everything else looked otherwise.

Agreed - I think that was a finisher or an event sequence as well. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they let you parry or block incoming strikes with the zweihander in normal gameplay as well. It just won't look as perfect as that - probably closer to how DMC handles it.

Exentryk

Some points I think need to be mentioned:

- For the majority of the gameplay video, Noctis has 8 different weapons equipped. 5 are visible at a time. But it is confirmed that the load out can be customized, because at the end of the video, in the underwater scene, the order and selection of weapons shown are different.

Good points. Toggling between Attack and Magic by a single button (say L1?), would make it quite seamless.

I am wondering how the weapons are changed. This is what I'm thinking:

L1 - Toggle between Attack and Magic Command menus
R1 - Lock on
L2/R2 - Cycle weapons

Triangle - Jump
Square - Dodge roll (Other ability?)
Circle - Menu? (Map, Video etc)
Cross - Execute command

Chake

Banned
The behemoth had some noctis weapons on him. Also, i'm sure most people noticed, that you can target enemy parts.

duckroll

I think the fact that Noctis can equip dupes of the same weapon (or weapon class?) in the load out are also important points. It indicates that the weapons are not unique, which means there must be some benefit to equipping the same type of weapon twice.

Heavy speculation: Could it be possible that the weapons in the game are like Commands in Birth by Sleep, and they level up when equipped and used in combat? Being able to level up weapons and fuse them into different weapons later would be one reason why you can put the same weapon multiple times in your weapon "Deck" maybe?

Shinta

Banned
I think the fact that Noctis can equip dupes of the same weapon (or weapon class?) in the load out are also important points. It indicates that the weapons are not unique, which means there must be some benefit to equipping the same type of weapon twice.

Heavy speculation: Could it be possible that the weapons in the game are like Commands in Birth by Sleep, and they level up when equipped and used in combat? Being able to level up weapons and fuse them into different weapons later would be one reason why you can put the same weapon multiple times in your weapon "Deck" maybe?

Kind of like FFIX's gear/skill system. That would be neat. I always liked that one.

sappyday

This actually makes sense and sounds really good.

HeelPower

I think warping is linked to a certain type of sword.Noctis can only swing to where said sword is, I think.Also at one point the behemoth had swords embedded into it.

Top Bottom