• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc Demo Has PS4 Pro Enhancements @ 1080p

xion4360

it doesnt have an uncapped framerate at lightweight.

Enhanced mode looks good but with framerate drops aplenty while lightweight looks like base PS4 at a solid 30fps (aside from the opening bits for some reason, once you are free to roam at hammerhead it smooths out.)

Im playing on a 4k tv so maybe thats why its not running as smooth.

Elios83

Btw I really hope that the improved AF that really makes the textures shine is going to be available in the 4K mode, otherwise given the fact that HDR will be available in both modes and 1080p mode will have much better frame rate as well, I guess this could be even best played in 1080p mode (which is still a resolution improvement from dynamic 900-1080p in standard PS4).

Tyaren

I didn't realize we had an extra thread. Please don't mind me cross-posting:

Here a few examples of OG PS4 settings and PS4 Pro settings.
For the best comparison open each screenshot in it's own browser tab and then click back and forth between them.

OG PS4:
30918138155_5dd6d7d076_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30918127475_393339a974_o.png

OG PS4:
30802137222_68d55eb656_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882351536_1a63445c52_o.png

OG PS4:
30802143252_554f23792e_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882338846_6367094d8a_o.png

OG PS4:
30882533846_08180f112e_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882537606_433c4be652_o.png

Ferr986

I didn't realize we had an extra thread. Please don't mind me cross-posting:

Here a few examples of OG PS4 settings and PS4 Pro settings.
For the best comparison open each screenshot in it's own browser tab and then click back and forth between them.

I honestly barely see any difference, other than the bushes having a different color :/

Tyaren

I honestly barely see any difference, other than the bushes having a different color :/

In general the biggest imProvements ;) that I could make out are:
- anisotropic filtering
- higher resolution shadow maps
- higher quality ambient occlusion
- higher LOD
- more prominent lighting and light shafts
- better antialiasing solution

Elios83

There are definetly a wide array of small improvements.
Better vegatation, higher res lighting (see how light has not granular transitions in the wooden hut screen) and better image quality overall (see Prompto's arm in the sunset screens).
In the other screens much better AF was also evident.
There is also better ambient occlusion in the restaurant shots.
Each of them does not make a huge difference but added up it's a really nice improvement.
I wonder how many of these upgrades will carry at 4K because HDR will also be available in 1080p with a better frame rate as well.

rjc571

Banned
Are people ever going to stop bitching about 60fps. Its getting mundane to read posts of people saying 60 fps or bust. No one cares. Either enjoy the game for what it has or move on and stop pestering. if visual enhancements mean nothing to you then you wont have a 4k tv or a PS4. Play Nintendo games or stick man on the internet. Most of them run at 60.

LMAO! I can just imagine the steam coming out of your ears when you read that I like 60 fps games.

jose1

I played the demo yesterday for a bit on my OG PS4. The game looks great when standing still like in these screenshots, but FYI the IQ falls apart when you start moving around. It is some sort of TAA because you can watch the IQ improve when you stand still. Environment shadows have really bad dithering, especially during the day.

Overall though, game looks good and has decent performance. With the downsampling, I'm sure the IQ is much nicer in motion on the Pro.

WadeitOut

It honestly doesn't look that hot in either for a 2016 5+ year dev game. But regardless I don't play FF for the graphics.

butman

- anisotropic filtering
- higher LOD

Thank you. Things that I will never notice when the game sucks me in.
Stick with OG PS4.

7bxDQls.gif

This looks significant enough.

Agreed, it's true the mountains could be a little fancier but this plus the considerably less smearing of the road in the other shots are a rather nice start in some of these shots even without seeing the demo yet on my own. Hope they really make their future more dedicated Pro patch later while working on the DLC.

And that extra AA on the closeups like Septimus pointed out in those sun-bathed shots.

Can't wait to see their even cleaner 4K mode.

This is the game that is tempting me to get a PS4 Pro soon. :( I've been waiting for this game forever, and I kind of want to play the best version. Just not sure if I want to drop that much money for minimal improvements (especially since I don't have a 4k TV).

Macrotus

Nice comparison OP.
I definitely see the difference. More detailed textures and shadows which adds a lot of depth to the image. The OG PS4 screenshots aren't bad, but feel a bit flat compared to the Pro version.

Koobion

It's apparent that the improvements are only going to increase too, once they're finished with the upgrades. Pro is definitely the way to experience 15 if you can.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Talax

Btw I really hope that the improved AF that really makes the textures shine is going to be available in the 4K mode, otherwise given the fact that HDR will be available in both modes and 1080p mode will have much better frame rate as well, I guess this could be even best played in 1080p mode (which is still a resolution improvement from dynamic 900-1080p in standard PS4).
So these TVs can enable HDR without any 4k content? That's good because I was assuming that HDR is only possible on 4k. Never really checked that out.

John Wick

Nope.

The framerate is going to decide whether or not I'm getting a Pro. If it still looks like a slideshow but just better, then it's not worth it.

Geez I wonder what it must be like for you watching 24fps movies? Shit man must be terrible watching it in slow motion frame by frame.
Not all games need to be 60fps. And if your one of those that somehow can't cope with 30fps because it's an unplayable slideshow then you should stick to high-end PC.

Skilletor

Geez I wonder what it must be like for you watching 24fps movies? Shit man must be terrible watching it in slow motion frame by frame.
Not all games need to be 60fps. And if your one of those that somehow can't cope with 30fps because it's an unplayable slideshow then you should stick to high-end PC.

Movies aren't interactive. Games are.

Yeah, while it looks better, really the only thing I notice is the slightly higher resolution (which is a good thing), and better foliage.

I'll be much more interested in seeing what the game looks and runs like with the post-release Pro update. My sense is that Pro support for a lot of these games has been rushed to meet the Pro release, or holiday launch, and that we'll start to see a much more significant difference in graphics/performance with the second wave of releases.

valkyre

The fact that pro in enhanced gfx mode runs with a lot of framerate fluctuations doesnt sound very good... and kinda makes me wonder about the 4k mode.

Seriously according to Sony we shouldnt be having such discussions around the Pro. And yes this is a demo, but we have quite a few similar examples with released games.

Hope they fix these.

Skilletor

It doesn't really need it though. This isn't DMC or NG. The demo plays perfectly fine and you never really feel at all hindered by the framerate given how well it controls now (the lack of FPS drops help).

Funny that you comment on how much better it feels with a better framerate in the same sentence saying we don't need a better framerate.

Funny that you comment on how much better it feels with a better framerate in the same sentence saying we don't need a better framerate.

Yea, because:

There's a pretty big difference between 60 FPS, 30 FPS, and the Duscae demo which dropped frames from 30 FPS down into the 20's like no one's business.

- anisotropic filtering
- higher LOD

Better AO too: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11...rate-graphics-settings-screenshot-comparison/

On the door behind the seller and in other instances.

Excellent, Pro version has less dithering on the hair too.

not only on the hair but also on the shadows and and lit areas.

xion4360

just tried out the xbox one version. impressed with how solid the performance is...just a couple minor singular or so framedrops in spots and minor instances of screentearing...but switching back to the pro right after its like...HOOOOOLY shit the difference is HUGE.

A couple little tweaks need to be made

HDR in general on all platforms is just terrible.. looks washed out with brightness, too intense contrast and odd colors...dont think they have this right yet.

PRO specifically -

when you get in cover by pressing square next to walls the resolution drops dramatically for some reason. seems like a weird bug

the hair at times...its at a point where its ok I guess but maybe they can clean it up just a bit more.

and finally fix the framerate, should be able to run perfectly at 30fps in 1080p...and this is exactly what I want from this game.. I hope theres still this 1080P enhanced mode in the final game with polish.. seems like they were able to do this rather quickly and they are still working on the pro aspects so fingers crossed this game delivers. its so close!

valkyre

I just cant believe that Tabata and his team have not implemented a way for vegetation and other objects that obstruct your line of view to fade away or disappear like it happens in every other game out there.

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to realise that the camera is pure shit when you are surrounded by trees and bushes...

Skilletor

I just cant believe that Tabata and his team have not implemented a way for vegetation and other objects that obstruct your line of view to fade away or disappear like it happens in every other game out there.

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to realise that the camera is pure shit when you are surrounded by trees and bushes...

I really wish the camera was a not farther back from noctis.

Wagram

Are there any options for a 30 fps lock on PS4 Pro? It looks marginally better, but the benefits aren't worth the upgrade especially at 40-50fps variability. If a stable 30 option is present I might jump in.

xion4360

Are there any options for a 30 fps lock on PS4 Pro? It looks marginally better, but the benefits aren't worth the upgrade especially at 40-50fps variability. If a stable 30 option is present I might jump in.

Both the high and low options are 30fps on this demo...low option keeps it solid while the high has drops.

Final game is supposed to be unlocked on low mode.

Top Bottom