• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV launches September 30th, demo today w/ Carbuncle unlock, has combat

LoL.
Gamespot knows how to generate those tasty clicks. There's no way they didn't know about the upcoming uncovered event. There's no need to watch the event now.

A release date for a major video game has to be kept hidden on a game discussion forum? What next, will you be up in the thread for the next CoD screaming at people for spoiling the platforms it's coming out on in the title?

I agree completely. We all knew it was coming out this year (Square-Enix stated as such) so I do not understand why the specific date is such an issue for some people. It's not like the ending or a major plot point got spoiled.

I'm sure there will be more stuff that hasn't been revealed yet at the event so people will still be surprised. I'm still going to watch the event and be satisfied with whatever they give us, considering the game will be out in 6 months.

Boke1879

People not getting what's wrong with them (almost desperately) wanting to play right into SE marketings hands is bad stuff, man. You guys are treating this like some watershed moment - it's a promotional event and nothing more.

The worst part is it's not even convincing. It's the event SE paid Greg Miller and some YT rando to pretend like they give a shot about FF for. It's flagrant as hell.

Time is actually a big FF fan and hyped for this, and while Greg admittedly isn't the biggest FF fan. He's still interested and excited to see if something like this can draw him into the series.

Squire

Banned
... Would you rather the event hosts be doing it pro bono?

Honestly? No, not really. I think people should be paid for their work and I think it's fine Greg and the other guy are really obviously not genuinely into FF.

I think it's unhealthy to pretend otherwise though. Again, that's my take on the whole thing. This is a marketing event. It can be fun and we can enjoy it, but when you have people blowing a gasket because a corporations marketing plan didn't go perfectly that's like pretty disconcerting at the absolute best.

Time is actually a big FF fan and hyped for this, and while Greg admittedly isn't the biggest FF fan. He's still interested and excited to see if something like this can draw him into the series.

Greg is excited to draw a pay cheque. And again, it's fine. But it is what it is.

I'll take your word on the other guy, while maintaining he still seems incredibly out of place to me.

ZeroX03

Banned
A big event for a blowout on the game. That includes the release date, story trailer, gameplay trailer, collector's edition, etc.

You mean that stuff that every other company uses a press release for? And they clearly already sent to outlets? It's just a marketing event, there's nothing special about it.

Let me rephrase that: I can't begin to fathom giving so much of a shit about a release date. It's a "spoiler" but only in the weakest of terms.

What's the precedent for this? Is E3 or any other industry event treated differently?

A spoiler is a spoiler. These were announcements that were going to add to the excitement and fun of the event. It's not somehow the "weakest of spoilers" just because you say it is. Obviously it's something that's incredibly important to a lot of people.

Also. I assumed there was a leak topic for a reason. Because the leaked info would go in there, and the people who didn't want to be spoiled could stay out. Otherwise, what's the point of that thread.

If I really cared that much, I would have avoided here anyway, but I don't. I would have rather them not have happened though. I just disagree with the thought that people are wrong or stupid for being disappointed that this stuff leaked.

I googled carbuncle and screamed

Why would anybody be so vague with what they input into the search bar? Sometimes you're asking for trouble.

"Carbuncle" "Final Fantasy" --- narrow that sucker down or something that will give you more accurate results!

In a way, I don't mind Carbuncle being in this game:

1.)
latest

If you don't count the online FFs, Carbuncle hasn't been a summon in the series since FFIX. That's 16 years of Square thinking Carbuncle wasn't good enough for the offline mainline titles!

2.)
XIII-Carbuncle.jpg

Fuck FFXIII and it's cocktease. I wasn't the only one fooled into seeing this online for the first time and saying, "Yeah, Carbuncle's BACK! Wonder what he'll turn into to and it will fight in battle?" I also felt the same about Ifrit and Siren. Dammit!!!

3.) Knowing that this is Carbuncle means we have yet to see FFXV's interpretation of a Moogle(which everybody thought THIS was).

sappyday

You mean that stuff that every other company uses a press release for? And they clearly already sent to outlets? It's just a marketing event, there's nothing special about it.

What's your point though? What's wrong with having an event that the fans can come and enjoy? Especially for a game on this caliber with the type of history it has.

They aren't charging fans to come.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly? No, not really. I think people should be paid for their work and I think it's fine Greg and the other guy are really obviously not genuinely into FF.

Yeah, I guess my point is, everything from a venue in this event, to voice acting for the game, or whatever gets paid for its services/work because it's a job and they want it handled well, not because someone's a huge fan of ____ (don't get me wrong, they can be). Maybe they really like his personality. Maybe they like the way he hosts. In the end, it's a job.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was looking forward to that moment of reveal. Me, tugging at my shirt collar and biting my lip, breath held for a moment too long, time standing still as those words appear on the screen: September 30. I collapse, convulsing in waves of pleasure both physical and emotional. A moment in the history of this world that will never come again.

Damn you Gamespot.

Sciortino

LoL.
Gamespot knows how to generate those tasty clicks. There's no way they didn't know about the upcoming uncovered event. There's no need to watch the event now.
FFS. I'm just not gonna bother anymore lol. If the leaked release date is the main reason to not watch the event then you guys will miss out on a whole lot.

Huh I wonder if this demo is gonna be of something in game or not. My PS4 is in storage at the moment so I don't know when I'll get to play it but I'd like to before release if it's not in game stuff.

Squire

Banned
What's your point though? What's wrong with having an event that the fans can come and enjoy? Especially for a game on this caliber with the type of history it has.

They aren't charging fans to come.

You guys aren't getting it. There's nothing wrong with the event or enjoying it. People posting "OMG you're spoiling the event!!!" in threads isn't great though. Spoiling the marketing? Really?

I hope I'm not coming off as anti-consumption, I'm just saying folks could do with a bit of self-awareness.

Yeah, I guess my point is, everything from a venue in this event, to voice acting for the game, or whatever gets paid for its services/work because it's a job and they want it handled well, not because someone's a huge fan of ____ (don't get me wrong, they can be). Maybe they really like his personality. Maybe they like the way he hosts. In the end, it's a job.

I 100% agree with you and I think that's what's missed. That at the core of this is not something all that inspiring, but more cynical: it's business.

Huh I wonder if this demo is gonna be of something in game or not. My PS4 is in storage at the moment so I don't know when I'll get to play it but I'd like to before release if it's not in game stuff.

they said its not something cut out of the game but you get a Carbuncle summon if you beat it in the main game

ST2K

Gonna order a pizza and settle down for the show when the time comes. It's going to feel so good when we actually get concrete information on this game.

You guys aren't getting it. There's nothing wrong with the event or enjoying it. People posting "OMG you're spoiling the event!!!" in threads isn't great though. Spoiling the marketing? Really?

I hope I'm not coming off as anti-consumption, I'm just saying folks could do with a bit of self-awareness.

See, this is where I don't see how you wouldn't understand why people would be disappointed at the leaks. People want to enjoy the event. They're excited for it. The leaks kill some of the excitement. It's really as simple as that. I mean, the marketing aspects here (like the trailers, the footage, announcements) is what's exciting about this event.

.JayZii

Banned
I was looking forward to that moment of reveal. Me, tugging at my shirt collar and biting my lip, breath held for a moment too long, time standing still as those words appear on the screen: September 30. I collapse, convulsing in waves of pleasure both physical and emotional. A moment in the history of this world that will never come again.

Damn you Gamespot.
Whew, that got steamy.

sappyday

I 100% agree with you and I think that's what's missed. That at the core of this is not something all that inspiring, but more cynical: it's business.

I think it's just a bad use of the word "spoiler".

Falk

that puzzling face

While I agree that people can look too far into it that way, I think this is where our opinions diverge though. It's a business that's aimed to hype a product. Calling it a business doesn't exactly take away from that.

Heck, orchestral concert tours are a business. Doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed, especially by the die-hard fans.

KiraXD

See, this is where I don't see how you wouldn't understand why people would be disappointed at the leaks. People want to enjoy the event. They're excited for it. The leaks kill some of the excitement. It's really as simple as that. I mean, the marketing aspects here (like the trailers, the footage, announcements) is what's exciting about this event.

the thing is... some people paid for tickets to go to said event... so spoiling it for them is fucked up... regardless of the type of event (marketing for a game) its still something people are going to, and have paid for...

Venom Fox

Banned
the thing is... some people paid for tickets to go to said event... so spoiling it for them is fucked up... regardless of the type of event (marketing for a game) its still something people are going to, and have paid for...
Tickets were free weren't they?

pablito

A release date for a major video game has to be kept hidden on a game discussion forum? What next, will you be up in the thread for the next CoD screaming at people for spoiling the platforms it's coming out on in the title?

Not hidden, no. Just put it in the OP and not the title. This event and game release date is a little different than other announcements. This event has been hyped for a few months and the date is probably the biggest reason why. Let alone this game having 10 years of history behind it already. People have gone through phases of life getting to this moment. It being spoiled by Gamespot could be avoided it the thread title warned you. This event has a lot to look forward to outside of the date (I've said this already) and is not ruined for me. But I understand why some are disappointed, and how some of the excitement for the event is less than before.

And no, I won't be screaming at people about revealing info. I'm not doing it here sooo...

Gematsu leaked the date days ago, so realistically speaking the only thing else that leaked was footage of the demo as well as an announcement that it would go live more or less right after the conference. We already knew the actual demo existed though as Tabata has mentioned in the past. So they still have potentially plenty to show and talk about. Actual new footage of XV, character breakdowns, music premieres, limited editions and so on.

True Fire

So is there any point in watching the thing tonight then? One of my friends was reallllly hyped about this. Don't know whether to text this to her.

The release date is probably the least interesting thing about the event though... There's still going to be a trailer and story details (most likely).

Yeah, all I have been posting about in here is people were upset, and mostly at Gamespot not OP, and maybe there is no need to condescend them for it.

I think it's just a bad use of the word "spoiler".

Yes it probably is.

Top Bottom