• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Main characters and Japanese voice cast revealed

I honestly think they're all designed great but Notctis really needs some better pants. Blond haired guy gives me Cloud vibes for some reason.

Verendus

Banned
Can we start coming up with nicknames for every character that isn't Noctis and Ignis? Their names are so.. urgh.
Blonde Guy
Muscleman/Scar
Senior/Elderly

Plus, Noctis and Ignis.

Not original, but it kind of works. What I'll be using to make life easy for myself.

duckroll

Also, duckroll, is Rionis the actual spelling or is that just a guess. I have a feeling it's most likely Leonis. If it really is Rionis I guess it means Mountainheart.

It's a guess, I'm really bad with this nonsense-latin thing. I'll go with your advice. If it's wrong... I'll kill you next time! :(

Edit: Wait, is Rionis actually a word? Because that's how it's romanized. Not Leo.

No female leads? Interesting.

There's two we know of, not sure if they're playable yet though
51b7a686_Final-Fantasy-XV-Stella.png

51b7a87d_Final-Fantasy-XV-Unknown-6.png

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's a guess, I'm really bad with this nonsense-latin thing. I'll go with your advice. If it's wrong... I'll kill you next time! :(

Edit: Wait, is Rionis actually a word? Because that's how it's romanized. Not Leo.

Rionis isn't an actual latin word. However it is a derivation and means mountain/region/subdivided area.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
They seem all coming out from one of those underground dungeon clubs...
lol.

kayos90

I am not opposed to an all-male cast.

Yeah, cuz it's your dream come true.

Mine too. LOL

His surname is リオニス (Rionisu). Someone who knows more Latin than I do can tell me what word it could be!

Leonis makes more sense. Latin has a consistent and very hard pronunciations. Leonis is actually pronounced Lee-Oh-Nis. In this case this would translate into Ree-Oh-Nee-Su which is in line with what you typed up. So yeah. I'm sure it's Leonis.

BluWacky

So these are all Latin - or at least, bollocks made up Latin that makes no grammatical sense. They translate roughly (VERY roughly) as follows:

Noctis Lucis Caelum - Night Light Sky
Gladiolus Amicitia - Knife of Friendship
Ignis Scientia - Flame of Knowledge
Prompto Argentum - Quicksilver
Cor Rionis - Lionheart (this should definitely be Leonis)

The only one that is "right" is Cor Leonis - the rest are the usual "grab a word from the dictionary and hope it makes sense" rubbish.

Rionis is not a Latin word at all.

Square-Enix does still sometimes get some of their own romanizations wrong.

Even A.O. Smith's best-ever localization team missed one rare monster in FFXII (It was supposed to be Angrboða, the Norse giantess, but in the English version of the game it's Ancbolder). It happens.

Verendus

Banned
duckroll maybe stick this at the top

and then when they reveal more info about each could add them individually?

Best FF cast design ever, btw
When you look at them like that, they really messed up with Stella. The new design just blends in too much. The original was much more distinct. Kind of screamed female lead. Sharper features are fine SE, no need to go all plastic on us.

I'm most interested in Prompto. He looks like he'll be the comical guy of the group, and the comedic guy is usually always my favorite. Not to mention that scene where he shot the guy in the trailer.

He's so nonchalant about it lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So the guy that looks exactly like Sasuke also has magic eyes?

Masashi Kishimoto should sue.

Because if they would feature enough to be called that then they would have mentioned them along those guys?

Do you know anything about SE marketing?
We'll probably get actual info on the other cast once in a blue moon through the Japanese magazines, we'll know then if they're playable. Up until now we didn't know Cor Leonis was playable either.

MCD

I'm most interested in Prompto. He looks like he'll be the comical guy of the group, and the comedic guy is usually always my favorite. Not to mention that scene where he shot the guy in the trailer.

He's so nonchalant about it lol.

He's gonna die and you know it.

I'm not against having a buddy-cop Final Fantasy, but I can already see Anita Sarkeesian's review of this game shaping in my head. I hope there are some female playable characters.

Can somebody that knows more about the XV universe so far explain to me why Altair is in the character line-up?

kayos90

So these are all Latin - or at least, bollocks made up Latin that makes no grammatical sense. They translate roughly (VERY roughly) as follows:

Noctis Lucis Caelum - Night Light Sky
Gladiolus Amicitia - Knife of Friendship
Ignis Scientia - Flame of Knowledge
Prompto Argentum - Quicksilver
Cor Rionis - Lionheart (this should definitely be Leonis)

The only one that is "right" is Cor Leonis - the rest are the usual "grab a word from the dictionary and hope it makes sense" rubbish.

Rionis is not a Latin word at all.

Beaten yo! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62971211&postcount=26

In all seriousness though, I think the flame of knowledge is meant to be a reference to the first fire of man that gave knowledge. Pretty sure. Unless i'm getting my various mythologies all mixed up.

Verendus

Banned
I'm not against having a buddy-cop Final Fantasy, but I can already see Anita Sarkeesian's review of this game shaping in my head. I hope there are some female playable characters.

Can somebody that knows more about the XV universe so far explain to me why Altair is in the character line-up?
Main opponent for Noctis. SE had to dig deep and find a suitable nemesis. Altair was willing to help out since his series got hijacked.

Top Bottom