• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

j8P7SVH.gif
I swear you should be hired by companies for marketing

Guys is there a trick to this combat? I'm just holding down circle and hitting square every now and then

Eventually its going to require you to do alot more than that.

This combat system isnt about memorizing big combos like in DMC, its about positioning, weapon swapping, know the enemies weaknesses, breaking appendages, using the right abilities at the right time, etc.

Just finished episode Prompto, after coming off the disappointment that was Gladio this was really well lot together. Fun new gameplay, new mini explorable open world section with side quests, a good self contained story arch, great cutscenes, etc.

5 months to do the best be characters DLC, I'm expecting great things.

Guys is there a trick to this combat? I'm just holding down circle and hitting square every now and then

Learn to warp, love the warp.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Agreed. I love that crystal clear quality my blu-ray gives.

I expect a FFXII situation. FFXV will continue to be loved by the masses and those who hate it will dissipate over time.

FFXII is more like... The hardcore like it but the masses won't really like it. I guess it's because FFXII is not beginner/casual friendly and the overall aesthetic is an acquired taste.

Heck I'd say FFXIII is even more popular than FFXII.

Vashetti

Banned
Spent the first 30 or so hours of the game trying to perfectly time the 'X" prompt for parrying and failed like 3/4 of the time. Now I realize the second it pops on the screen you can just press and hold the button down until you parry. What a joke lol

The latter is how you do it, the former doesn't work.

Toth

FFXII is more like... The hardcore like it but the masses won't really like it. I guess it's because FFXII is not beginner/casual friendly and the overall aesthetic is an acquired taste.

I agree. Both FFXII (well International / TZA editions) and XIII are equal in my opinion as FFs go (though for different reasons of course)

BTW I saw this interesting lore document over on Gamefaqs:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9odtppEjtDzS0NEeXdIcDQ2ZHM

The guy who made it did an exceptional job in making it but it seems way too much is based on his interpretation and 'filling in the blanks'. I'm a bit concerned this will spread and people will believe this is all 100% true when it's just a fun read.

Hellfire is still the best thing to come out of gaming in terms of music in like forever.

The track is just too incredible!

A lot of great tracks on the OST really: Magna Insomnia, Somnus Ultima, Song of the Stars, Ravus Aeternia, Veiled in Black. Really one of the best OSTs in a long, long time.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
oprah2.png

Based Tabata. After the manure that was New Empire, this is a genius PR move. Can't wait.

I don't disagree with that completely...

I do believe though that the art direction in the game is pretty good. But I do remember not liking the brown hue over the entire game back in 2006. Maybe it's as you say and I don't really doubt the logic of it.

In Chapter 7's main dungeon. Fell down a hole (no, not the scripted one).

Can't find a way out. Am I dumb?

Edit: Nvm, my navigation is terrible.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, about to start a new game for the first time.

Just one question which I also asked the Nier Automata thread: JP or ENG voices?

(p.s. I watched Brotherhood in JP)

Just one question which I also asked the Nier Automata thread: JP or ENG voices?

The JP VO is decent (but can't salvage the script), the English dub is diabolically horrible. So JP.

The English has the wonderful talents of Ray Chase, Adam Croasdell, Robbie Daymond, Kari Wahlgren, Matthew Mercer, and—the legend himself—Darin De Paul. So English. ;P

(I might be a little biased, though. :p)

KINGSGLAIVE SPOILERS!!!

If this doesn't convince you... ;)

Koozek

I think this is a bit hyperbolic. The dub is decent; it has some weak points, and strengths. I think it is worth it alone for the English version of Ardyn, personally.
Gladio and Ignis' VA (or at least how they were directed) is terrible. So forced and comically overacted. The German dub made both of them so much more likeable and natural (actually was the first time I played a game in German and I didn't expect to like it that much). From what I heard of the JP dub in the anime they're better in Japanese too.

Prompto is annoying in any dub, though his VA definitely can do better (see Tales of Zestiria's protagonist). The rest of the cast was fine, especially Noctis and Ardyn.

I recommend experimenting with both.

The japanese VO is great, but there's some dialogue you will miss because you cant play an action game and read subtitles at the same time. The dub is surprisingly good, 99.99% of Voice actors would not be able to pull off Prompto, but his VO does it very well.

I also had fun playing around with French and German, but i would say 75% of the time i was on japanese, 20% on english.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Eh, I figured I'll stick to JP for now, especially because I just wasn't a fan of Gladio and Ignis talking in the English trailers. Also, I already watched Kingsglaive and I don't think I ended up that married to Aardyn's voice whatsoever.

That said, I can see how it can be troublesome during battle sequences reading the subs, so I'll see if I can endure that.

Btw, speaking of Aardyn, I just met the guy in-game and this is pretty much me right now.

KyleCross

What is the easiest way to level up Noctis' fishing skill? I've always sucked at the fishing mini game but it's one of the last trophies I need.

MilkBeard

Yeah I have to admit, I was really hesitant to start fishing in the game, but I wanted the platinum. I never usually get into fishing in games. But after biting the bullet, I kind of started to like it.

Koozek

I hear those Sentai costumes coming out amplifies Noctis' fishing, so should I wait till that?
Ohhh, right! Yeah, I guess. Comes out in two weeks. You could practice the mechanics before, though. Think the costumes' effect only lasts for 30 minutes every 24 hours. Or, I don't know, if you want to get it over with now, then just grind for a few hours. It's not that bad. Listen to a podcast or something :p

Auctopus

I think I just experienced the game at its absolute worst. It was a hunt for 7 Killer Wasps, I was level 50, they were 37.

- Confuse-lock.
- Non-stop hitting no matter how much I dodge.
- Poison.
- Killer Wasps are invulnerable to pretty much any physical attack.
- Elemental does fuck all.
- Team constantly dying. Burnt through about 40 Elixirs.
- No summons despite fight going on about 15 minutes including 3 downed allies at one point.

Christ, I did it eventually but that was miserable.

MilkBeard

I think I just experienced the game at its absolute worst. It was a hunt for 7 Killer Wasps, I was level 50, they were 37.

- Confuse-lock.
- Non-stop hitting no matter how much I dodge.
- Poison.
- Killer Wasps are invulnerable to pretty much any physical attack.
- Elemental does fuck all.
- Team constantly dying. Burnt through about 40 Elixirs.
- No summons despite fight going on about 15 minutes including 3 downed allies at one point.

Christ, I did it eventually but that was miserable.

Those things are a pain, but there are some techniques that will help kill them faster. If you have a lot of magic, you can do continuous warpstrikes to kill them. I remember in the beginning of the game, I was like, "nope, not doing that again." But after I got some magic points and upped my technique arsenal, they became a bit easier to deal with. Another method is to try and nail them with parries and counters when they attack you.

Also, I'm very fond of this technique.

Koozek

I hear those Sentai costumes coming out amplifies Noctis' fishing, so should I wait till that?
Ohh, apparently if you eat Noctis' favorite food (the one where there's a 8bit version of Noctis next to the food) it will make the fishing skill level up faster for the duration of the effect.

EDIT: WTF. After ~180 hours or so I only now learned there's an enhanced version of each Technique depending on the critical rate of them and they have a bit different animations and effects. The critical rate of Techniques can be maxed by eating a character's favorite food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6iExkGVhX0

MilkBeard

Ohh, apparently if you eat Noctis' favorite food (the one where there's a 8bit version of Noctis next to the food) it will make the fishing skill level up faster for the duration of the effect.

EDIT: WTF. After ~180 hours or so I only now learned there's an enhanced version of each Technique depending on the critical rate of them and they have a bit different animations and effects. The critical rate of Techniques can be maxed by eating a character's favorite food.

That's cool, didn't know that. I even recognize some of those special animations but didn't realize what was causing them.

Koozek

That's cool, didn't know that. I even recognize some of those special animations but didn't realize what was causing them.
Yep, me too. Just always thought it was a random thing, like, maybe the animations sometimes weren't playing out in full because the characters glitched or something.

Ummm... Yeah. Lol. I thought you noticed that. Different animations, yellow highlight of the attack. Generally a lot of visual cues to inform that the Technique is causing more damage and is being more effective. :)

Koozek

Ummm... Yeah. Lol. I thought you noticed that. Different animations, yellow highlight of the attack. Generally a lot of visual cues to inform that the Technique is causing more damage and is being more effective. :)
I remember sometimes wondering why an animation was longer/different, yeah, but I never made the connection because I didn't even know there were special versions^^ Pretty sure it was never mentioned in-game (like the thing with holding the magic cast button for a few seconds to make the other party members run out of the AOE), or was it? Maybe there should be a "Critical!" below the Technique name pop-up or something.

I remember sometimes wondering why an animation was longer/different, yeah, but I never made the connection because I didn't even know there were special versions^^ Pretty sure it was never mentioned in-game (like the thing with holding the magic cast button for a few seconds to make the other party members run out of the AOE), or was it? Maybe there should be a "Critical!" below the Technique name pop-up or something.

In the initial tutorial you are correct, there is nothing that indicates Techniques will be able to do that. I do believe when the tutorial pop-ups happen in-game the first time you use a Technique it will let you know.

Additionally, you will notice many different things like higher damage, different/longer animations, and a yellow highlight for the attack. This happens every time the yellow is highlighted in the attack name. When people are in the heat of battle they can easily tell the difference in damage output and the yellow highlight and the animations. It's harder to tell if you put "Critical" in because one isn't typically looking up there unless there is a color change or something to highlight that the attack is different.

Koozek

In the initial tutorial you are correct, there is nothing that indicates Techniques will be able to do that. I do believe when the tutorial pop-ups happen in-game the first time you use a Technique it will let you know.

Additionally, you will notice many different things like higher damage, different/longer animations, and a yellow highlight for the attack. This happens every time the yellow is highlighted in the attack name. When people are in the heat of battle they can easily tell the difference in damage output and the yellow highlight and the animations. It's harder to tell if you put "Critical" in because one isn't typically looking up there unless there is a color change or something to highlight that the attack is different.
It's not like they are conservative anyway with flashing text in all different colors all over the screen when warp-striking, link-attacking, blindside-attacking etc. :D The "Critical Technique" text could be in the center like the other stuff. I don't think the color change in this case is self-explanatory enough because most aren't even consciously aware of the color the Technique box usually flashes in to make the connection when it does flash in a different color, unless you're specifically looking for it, and I'm not always looking at every HUD element when I'm in the heat of the battle anyway. Yeah, the Technique bar and slots are obviously green, but them blinking yellow could also mean the Tech is just being executed. Dunno... think this could've been communicated better.

It's not like they are conservative anyway with flashing text in all different colors all over the screen when warp-striking, link-attacking, blindside-attacking etc. :D The "Critical Technique" text could be in the center like the other stuff. I don't think the color change in this case is self-explanatory enough because most aren't even consciously aware of the color the Technique box usually flashes in to make the connection when it does flash in a different color, unless you're specifically looking for it, and I'm not always looking at every HUD element when I'm in the heat of the battle anyway. Yeah, the Technique bar and slots are obviously green, but them blinking yellow could also mean the Tech is just being executed. Dunno... think this could've been communicated better.

I mean...it's not just the yellow highlight. It's also more damage being dealt and different animations happening every time in conjunction with each other. Seeing those two things always occur when the text is highlighted yellow would be a pretty large tell.

Toth

So here's a discussion topic: how would a Hard Mode work for FFXV? More attack and more HP for mobs wouldn't really solve the item spamming exploits. Limiting how many items you can use sounds like an easy idea but given how hard mobs hit even with the best gear, I think this would be more frustrating than challenging.

Maybe limiting item use to 9 per item tops per battle, increasing EXP to next level / changing all quest rewards from EXP to AP, making vitality essential to mitigating damage (and allowing you to create a main 'tank'), introducing status altering spells, and scaling mobs to your overall level?

So here's a discussion topic: how would a Hard Mode work for FFXV? More attack and more HP for mobs wouldn't really solve the item spamming exploits. Limiting how many items you can use sounds like an easy idea but given how hard mobs hit even with the best gear, I think this would be more frustrating than challenging.

Maybe limiting item use to 9 per item tops per battle, increasing EXP to next level / changing all quest rewards from EXP to AP, making vitality essential to mitigating damage (and allowing you to create a main 'tank'), introducing status altering spells, and scaling mobs to your overall level?

Level scaling and severely limiting how many items you get from loot and making items much more expensive, or putting a limit on how many you can carry.

Go into a dungeon, you can only use 3 items or something.

MilkBeard

I agree that they would have to adjust item spam. It's a hard topic, as you'd have to change some gameplay elements. You could make it so that when Noctis dies, it's an instant game over. And yes, perhaps put a limit on items. Maybe not just limit items in the dungeon, but limit the max carry to something like 20 or 30 each.

It's possible that they could tweak MP and how much of an MP cost Noctis' moves have as well.

The issue is that all of the difficulty levels are switchable on the fly, so they would have to hard-lock you into Hard when you choose it at NG + to implement something like max item limits.

Koozek

The battle-system is such a mess without items as a band-aid solution for the badly designed telegraphing and enemy attack patterns, and the party AI that keeps making them die all the time to sudden attacks out of nowhere and out of your control, that I don't know how a Hard Mode could limit item usage in a reasonable way. You'd probably play with Noctis alone most of the time because the rest is constantly dead anyway.

MilkBeard

The battle-system is such a mess without items as a band-aid solution for the badly designed telegraphing and enemy attack patterns, and the party AI that keeps making them die all the time to sudden attacks out of nowhere and out of your control, that I don't know how a Hard Mode could limit item usage in a reasonable way. You'd probably play with Noctis alone most of the time because the rest is constantly dead anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with all you've said, although there are some weaknesses, and items play an important role as being the main curative function.

The party ai is weak at times, but they die much less if you take the time to upgrade their ascension grids. I took this path rather than immediately upgrading only Noctis, and it kept them from dying needlessly in a lot of situations.

Not saying it doesn't have flaws, though. But it is tricky considering that items are the main source of regeneration. Perhaps like someone mentioned, having them be more expensive and harder to find in the field would help give a natural limitation instead of a max item limit.

The costlemark sealed dungeon was my favorite part of the game though. Survive till the next camp, change equipment and tactics for each encounter. I didnt even cheese it with healing magic.

Koozek

The costlemark sealed dungeon was my favorite part of the game though. Survive till the next camp, change equipment and tactics for each encounter. I didnt even cheese it with healing magic.
I didn't have to change anything throughout the whole thing. Literally just warp-striked everything like a mad man with the Ragnarok sword, spammed Overwhelm with the Royal Crossbow equipped (and Command Booster to quickly fill the Technique bar), and only used healing magic once or twice^^ Did every sealed dungeon like this. I was at level 120 though, I think.

Top Bottom