• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo Thread

Nerokis

I was never all that down on new Regis, but the more I see him, the more he regains the charm of the original. There's a touch of down-to-earthness about him, even with his more regal appearance. He's not just a kingly old man. I can imagine him outside the context of a throne room, and I wouldn't mind having a beer with him.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What did you think of the demo?

I thought it was fine aside from some framerate issues whenever I used magic and the PS2-era waterfalls in Altissa. But I was also aware that this was a tech demo and not a representation of final code.
Finally getting to play in the area from the original trailers 10 years ago was pretty cool. Please let that location be playable in the full game '-'

Mediking

Ramuh apparently won't work like he did in Duscae, no more one shot kills.

Oh totally. Ramuh's one shot kill was Duscae exclusive. It was still amazing though.

I thought it was fine aside from some framerate issues whenever I used magic and the PS2-era waterfalls in Altissa. But I was also aware that this was a tech demo and not a representation of final code.
Finally getting to play in the area from the original trailers 10 years ago was pretty cool. Please let that location be playable in the full game '-'

*fist bump Kagari* Someone else who understands the symbolism of the demo.. *wipes a tear*

I'm sure we will have to reclaim the throne at some point, the city all destroyed and whatnot with guards everywhere.

Believe.

After replaying a bit of Duscae it's pretty clear to me now that the combat featured in the Platinum demo is miles better.

No more Vanquish/Crush/Ravage/Whatever which is replaced with the freedom to choose whatever weapon you want at any time so you can create your own combos instead of just following those you've set on the list. Putting weapon specials on Down+O works a lot better than the cumbersome Left/Right on the Dpad that Duscae had as well.

Actual air combos, moving dodge to its own button so you don't get a jump instead because the game considers you to be out of combat for whatever reason, better warp strike that changes based on whether or not you're locked on so you can use the different versions depending on what you need in a given situation.

It just feels so much better and freeform compared to Duscae. The "Press O to win!" comments make more sense for Duscae, since your main method of attack consisted of you just holding O (since it cycles through the set weapon list) with the occasional special.

Now, it's basically DMC in terms of what you can do and how you can now go for maximum style points while fighting. All it needs now is a style meter.

I thought Tabata had said that this was not a tech demo, but an "introduction to the world of the game", or something like that?

wmlk

I thought Tabata had said that this was not a tech demo, but an "introduction to the world of the game", or something like that?

It's a tech demo. They've been calling it that since 2014.

They just added a little more to it which was a mistake. People though Final Fantasy was transforming into cars and platforming.

BHK3

Banned
So aside from seeing snippets of the conference, I've been on media blackout. I never got to try the duscau demo(yay people selling demo codes for $15 -_-) but I'm reading that nothing in this demo is going to be in the main game? Is whatever in the demo like...I guess canon would be the right word? I would like to play it since they locked carbuncle to it but if nothing here matters then I can just continue waiting until the full game comes out.

Aters

So aside from seeing snippets of the conference, I've been on media blackout. I never got to try the duscau demo(yay people selling demo codes for $15 -_-) but I'm reading that nothing in this demo is going to be in the main game? Is whatever in the demo like...I guess canon would be the right word? I would like to play it since they locked carbuncle to it but if nothing here matters then I can just continue waiting until the full game comes out.

You can just continue waiting. I guess you are still able to download the demo after the game is released. The demo will confuse you if you don't know much about the game.

Anyone seen this from trailer, I've just realized now, lol.

15cbueu.jpg

She looks like Yuffie. :D

yuffie-portraitmxyg3.jpg

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I was just watching some old FFXV videos on Youtube, and I'm pretty sure they changed the aesthetics of the swords Noctis uses. In the 2014, the swords used by Noctis were more modern and had a more mechanical look to them (i.e. engine-like design) which went along with the more minimalistic "placeholder" UI. However, looking back to the Niflheim base infiltration video and the more recent Platinum demo video, the swords gained a more rustic and majestic look compared to the clean and mechanical look. Again, it's just my observation, and of course the game is subject to change.

sappyday

I was just watching some old FFXV videos on Youtube, and I'm pretty sure they changed the aesthetics of the swords Noctis uses. In the 2014, the swords used by Noctis were more modern and had a more mechanical look to them (i.e. engine-like design) which went along with the more minimalistic "placeholder" UI. However, looking back to the Niflheim base infiltration video and the more recent Platinum demo video, the swords gained a more rustic and majestic look compared to the clean and mechanical look. Again, it's just my observation, and of course the game is subject to change.

Either they changed or they're different swords.

wmlk

This is one of his swords in the newest trailer.

Uspi6Al.png

You think that's rustic?

ED Cantu

Either they changed or they're different swords.

I'm afraid that the engine sword might be gone from the game :(
Last time I saw it with something related to the game was as an accessory for the play arts kai figure of Noctis some 6 months ago.
E0aIZqa.jpg

It would be a shame because it's a cool design and it was with the game since the very first Versus XIII trailer, my only hope is that they haven't shown it recently because it's a weapon we get late in the game or something.

Edit:
Just checking some UC Edition images and it seems the sword is coming with the figure so maybe it'll still be in the game after all
W2K69Jn.jpg

wmlk

I'm afraid that the engine sword might be gone from the game :(
Last time I saw it with something related to the game was as an accessory for the play arts kai figure of Noctis some 6 months ago.
E0aIZqa.jpg

It would be a shame because it's a cool design and it was with the game since the very first Versus XIII trailer, my only hope is that they haven't shown it recently because it's a weapon we get late in the game or something.

CZlQZ56WAAAOs9M.jpg:orig

Look at the upper sword silhouette here.

Anyone seen this from trailer, I've just realized now, lol.

15cbueu.jpg

She looks like Yuffie. :D

Holy shit, strong contender for my FF15 waifu then...

She looks more like Cater from Type-0

WqFvS1G.jpg

But it just another one generic-Nomura-style-girl.

Yup, checks out #caterisbestgirl

Anyway, everybody is complaining about graphics in terms of resolutions, fps, IQ and I get it. Nobody wants to be nauseated when playing. Horrible FPS completely distracted me in the very beginning (what's so taxing about little boy waking up with camera close to his face? Why is that worst performing moment in the entire demo, when it's one of the first things we see?) BUUUUUT

Here;s the thing, all of that is technical, it could eventually be fixed in PC release or other rereleases and remasters. Sure, we are still impacted as a customer NOW, but ultimate, it's not something that is necessarily doomed to be with the game forever...

ASSETS however... What I mean is, just check older target renders and even overture. Notice something? Everything looks bigger and grander.
In Platinum Demo, everything looks smaller, like a scale model. Even if it isn't, even if I were to escape the boundaries and see that it's all to scale and shop looks like a shop I can visit... The impression is still weird. Skyscrapper looked bigger, buildings looked bigger, gates surrounding the area were bigger, central building also looked grander...

What happened?

Falk

that puzzling face
Haven't taken objective measurement, but gut feeling is smaller FOV in Overture. I know exactly what you mean.

wmlk

It's to do with camera positioning and focal length.

red-barn-sequence.jpg

But yeah, I totally see what you mean. It's bothering me a lot now that you pointed it out. The game looks a lot smaller how it is now with the KH-ish camera.

The camera is adaptive, though. So, try running around as kid Noctis and everything should appear a bit larger. During combat it's different.

Krammy

Here's some comparison pictures I took after someone else mentioned the pause menu displaying a better resolution. I changed the exposure on the paused shots so they match up slightly better with the unpaused shots.

valkyre

Here's some comparison pictures I took after someone else mentioned the pause menu displaying a better resolution. I changed the exposure on the paused shots so they match up slightly better with the unpaused shots.

Nice job, it looks like it removes the AA when you pause the game. It looks sharper but the jaggies say hi.

Game needs a ton of work based on that demo at least.

Doosi

Banned
Demo doesn't have the same level of polish FF games usually have, especially ARR.

Kept getting Nights: Journey of Dreams flashbacks.

Demo doesn't have the same level of polish FF games usually have, especially FFXV.

Kept getting Nights: Journey of Dreams flashbacks.
Small team developed it in 2 months and it is not a part of the final game which means they made all the demo assets themselves and just integrated the combat into it, so yeh, it lacks polish.

Quick question: Are these plates you step on also going to be a mechanic in the final game?
No, that's just a part of the tech demo to showcase their dynamic TOD with global illumination.

oimori

Thanks! I decided to do 3 more under different light conditions. Things get muddy with so much movement on-screen, but the first shot is a really great comparison in my opinion.

I am not good at game technology, but does this often happen in every game, or the AA method of this demo have issue?

If later is correct, is this problem hard to fix?

Top Bottom