• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD | OT | The Downgrade Is Intentional

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Playstation 4
Xbox

The Switch version was probably going to be announced / showcased in the delayed Nintendo Direct.

Currently 40% off until September 13th. Regular price $29.99, marked down to $17.99.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Uh what is this? Is it the full game with different graphics? I would love this on the Switch if so.

Yes, this is the full game of Final Fantasy XV but it streamlines a lot of the "filler elements" of the original. It's not open world and is fairly linear. It's been available on mobile devices for a while.

A Switch version is confirmed but we don't have a release date yet.

jshackles

How long is it? I think it looks okay, but want to see the Switch version first.

I've played the mobile version - I made it to chapter six after about 9 hours. I think most places I've seen online put this at between 15-25 hours (depending on how much of the side content you do).

Since the game was originally designed for mobile, I doubt we'll see too many issues with the Switch port. In fact, when the game was first announced, a lot of people speculated that the game was a switch port of Final Fantasy XV.

AlexxKidd

If I actually thought Final Fantasy XV was a good game, I'd buy this version just for shits and giggles (for $15, not $30). The real news here is that mainline Final Fantasy returns to Nintendo...sort of.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Squeenix should just make World of Final Fantasy 2 already.

Ar¢tos

Is the story the absolute mess of launch ffxv or is it the still messy, but slightly less, story of the current version after the patches that added stuff?

Grinchy

Banned
So it's a mobile version of a console game and they're releasing it on the consoles that already run the real version. Makes sense!

Magusx

If the story wasn't so bad and character backgrounds, I would probably play this. But FFXV is really bad storywise.

Last edited:

jshackles

I watched some footage from the PS4 Pro version on Youtube, and while the graphics obviously aren't the star of the show in this game, it looks like the action runs really smoothly. Is this 60fps? I couldn't find any info online, I guess this is too new.

Too much to hope for a Digital Foundry deep dive I suppose.

MP!

I watched some footage from the PS4 Pro version on Youtube, and while the graphics obviously aren't the star of the show in this game, it looks like the action runs really smoothly. Is this 60fps? I couldn't find any info online, I guess this is too new.

Too much to hope for a Digital Foundry deep dive I suppose.
there is a 60 fps option on mobile... don't know about console versions though

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I do not like the art direction the went with, I especially don't like character models. I wish they went with Bravely Default art direction or better yet something similar to Octopath.

MP!

I'll be pretty upset when they finally release the switch version at full price while the other two have some unexplained 40% discount right off the bat.

Iaterain

I haven't yet had a chance to play the original XV version and they are throwing this?
The price and ugly graphics makes me suspicious about the quality and seriousness of this project...
I'm going skip this one in a favour of original.

ExpandKong

Banned
I’m still kind of baffled that this even exists really. I might pick it up for Switch just out of curiosity...but only if it’s got that launch discount.

jshackles

I played through the first 30 minutes or so this morning on the Xbox One X. The game runs silky smooth and the action combat is a lot of fun.

This plays a lot better than the mobile version (at least for me) simply because it uses the controller and my thumbs aren't in the way of the screen.

Looking forward to diving into this further when I get the chance.

Akuza89

Well considering the downgrade was intentional and clearly designed for the switch, why didn't they launch it on just the switch for now, then the others later? since xbox one and ps4 already have the original.

Unless that was the plan, but with the direct's delay it forced them into it? unclear, but ill be interested to see how it runs on the switch, I'd imagine quite well and if it is the full game aswell it'll be impressive.

jshackles

I suppose the common idea that "this isn't the full game" comes from the fact that when it was originally released on mobile, it only had the first chapter for free.

This game tells the entire story of Final Fantasy XV from start to finish. It just does so in a much more streamlined, fixed-camera-angle, non-open-world kinda way that cuts the average time to complete the game down significantly over it's full fat counterpart.

Yagami_Sama

I am still have mixed feelings about this game. I am quite tired of this kind of "chibi" super deformed or something like that visuals.Maybe I change my mind on the release this on Switch.

kevm3

yuck I hate that 'anime babiez' style. I don't know why Square feels the need to do this with their mobile games.

RPGCrazied

Went ahead and bought it on Switch because of the sale. Used my coins and got it for $15. Wanted to check it out but surely not at the asking price of $30.

Yagami_Sama

I am still on the fence. I really wanted to play FF XV, but not like this. I tired of this kind of art style. If this was a 3DS game I would buy without thinking twice. ut buy this on Switch. I am still have mixed feelings. I need to read some impressions.

And this is the besides the point, but imagine if the Switch version performance is not good. This would be a disaster and this port will sound like a bad joke.

EDMIX

I am still on the fence. I really wanted to play FF XV, but not like this. I tired of this kind of art style. If this was a 3DS game I would buy without thinking twice. ut buy this on Switch. I am still have mixed feelings. I need to read some impressions.

And this is the besides the point, but imagine if the Switch version performance is not good. This would be a disaster and this port will sound like a bad joke.

huh? Who cares what system its on. I like how a game looks like based on how it looks like, not based on what system its playing on. I don't even understand the relevance of that lol

I mean I played Bravely Default 1 and 2 on 3DS, would have zero issue playing the 3rd on Switch or PS4 or where ever they make it, so if it looks like the first 2, I'll still like how it looks as that had nothing to do with being on the 3DS and everything to do with me simply liking how it looks. So clearly they are more limited with Switch so I'd just get the PS4 or PC version for FFXV as its not a bad game, but not sooooooo good to be holding out years to get.

Trust me, its a great once over, not something I'd be waiting on for a system known to get the worst versions visually. (especially if you don't even like the style of the mobile versions)

ar0s

Been really tempted but concerned combat would play itself. Can anyone provide feedback as to whether it is an engaging active experience on this console version? I don't want auto fighting with the ocassional press for special as if I'm on my phone.

Top Bottom