• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Season Pass Detailed (3 Story DLCs + Online Multiplayer DLC, $24.99)

Koozek

Press release:
With FINAL FANTASY XV achieving gold status, development will now shift towards creation of the Season Pass ($24.99) DLC that will provide further content and ways to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XV into the year ahead.

The main focus of the Season Pass is three original episodes that take place during the events of FINAL FANTASY XV. Each episode allows players to take control of one of Noctis’ comrades in all-new adventures that offer unique play styles tailored to each character. Players can explore previously unseen areas filled with new monsters, and even obtain weapons that can later be used in the main game. Episode Gladiolus is the first new character adventure to arrive, and will be followed by Episode Ignis and Episode Prompto. Each episode will be available for purchase individually.

Following the release of the character episodes, Comrades—an expansion pack for FINAL FANTASY XV—will introduce a brand-new online co-op mode for up to four players which features intense battles allowing players to take full control of Noctis, Gladio, Prompto and Ignis as a group. Comrades will be available for separate purchase, and is also included in the Season Pass.

This additional content and character episodes are managed by Haruyoshi Sawatari (Producer, Business Division 2) and overseen by FINAL FANTASY XV Director Hajime Tabata with development led by core members of the FINAL FANTASY XV team.

“Last year I travelled around the world and attended many game events. I felt an amazing passion and sense of expectation towards FINAL FANTASY XV from series fans everywhere,” said Sawatari. “From seeing that I really wanted to make it so that the fans could enjoy the game for longer and evolve and expand it even further. I will take these feelings and give them form, to deliver an amazing experience.”

Source: http://press.na.square-enix.com/rel...es-going-gold-with-new-cg-cinematic-trailer-o

So, just what is Final Fantasy 15’s DLC plan?
At a basic level, there’ll be four ‘big’ DLCs, at least initially. Three of these will be all-new single-player adventures, each focusing on one of the main members of the party that accompany FF15 protagonist Noctis throughout the main game. FF15 is the first game in the series where you won’t be able to assume direct control of anybody except the lead character, but through DLC fans will thus get a chance to play as Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto.

“Each of the character-based episodes we’re doing are going to add new gameplay elements and systems and change the way the gameplay works,” Sawatari explains. “Each of those is based very much around the personality and the style of character that stars in them.”

“When we’ve released all three of those character expansion DLCs and we’ve got all the comrades from the main game as playable characters, we’ll bring Noctis back in as the fourth member of the party and then add an online multiplayer expansion to bring them all together.”

Gladiolus is the hench tattooed bloke in the group. The one with the gruff voice. His gameplay matches: compared to vanilla FF15, Sawatari tells us that ‘Episode Gladiolus’ will play more like a full-blown action game. He’ll be the first to release, and I’ve seen some screenshots from that episode. You’ll find concept art from each of the character episodes at the end of this article.

Ignis is the bespectacled chap that’s always prepared, the smartest of the group. His gameplay will play out more tactically. Prompto will be the last in the set to release. He uses guns, and so his DLC will play out in what Sawatari calls a “shooter style”, though he wouldn’t be drawn on if this meant full-on first or third person shooter style controls.

“Each of these episodes is going to contain new story scenarios and new locations to explore as well,” Sawatari adds.

These expansions will apparently all be story-driven and tell stories that’ll flesh out each of these characters. They’re also stories that Sawatari expresses a confidence players who’ve seen the main game start to finish will still want to see. “They’re very closely related and entwined with the main story of FF15,” he hints, though keeps further details under his hat.

“When we’ve released all three of those character expansion DLCs and we’ve got all the comrades from the main game as playable characters, we’ll bring Noctis back in as the fourth member of the party and then add an online multiplayer expansion to bring them all together,” he concludes.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2016/10/27/fin...ll-culminate-with-an-online-multiplayer-mode/

Concept art of Episode Gladio:
FFXV_EpGladio_Concept1_1280width.jpg

FFXV_EpGladio_Concept2_1920width.jpg

Concept art of Episode Prompto:

*** Update ***

New info (thanks to Mognet's @Storm):
  • Their goal for the DLCs is really to focus on Noctis' friends.
  • Each DLCs includes new story elements, new gameplay experiences and new locations.
  • The journalist(s) saw footage of Gladio's DLC, it was in a cave and represented 20% of what the devs are aiming for, and that the animations still needed to be worked on.
  • They saw a fight against an armored guy and it really reminded them of the Souls Saga.
  • The footage ended with a more powerful boss.
  • The length of each DLCs should be enough for every kind of gamer.
  • The DLCs aren't linked to Kingsglaive or Brotherhood, just the main game.
  • They won't talk about their planning until it is ready.
  • The team is aware of the high demand of a DLC featuring Luna as the heroin and he said they will think about it.
  • Gladio's gameplay is action oriented , it is quite different from Noctis' .
  • Sawatari Haru Yoshi (the DLC director) worked on Bloodborne and he admits that Gladio's gameplay has some similarities. He is happy that the journalist noticed this detail.
  • From the beginning FFXV, the main game, was focused on Noctis so they aren't worried about those who think party switching was removed to make new DLCs. The DLCs are purely additional content.

Z3M0G

I'll be happy with this rather than a XV-2, XV-3, etc.

As long as XV is good enough for me to care.

LordKasual

Banned
Multiplayer? Fucking hell yes.

Lets pray that after all the DLC is done....we'll get some FFXV Final Mix / International / Complete version that adds back character switching in the main game and lets us control our guests!

What the hell does multiplayer even mean for this title?

4 characters, 4 players! It's an action game, so it actually makes sense this time around.

Ploid 3.0

Et tu, Final Fantasy?

I'm looking forward to seeing how multiplayer will do, though I'm uninterested in the dlc. Less people that will have it, and the less people in MP games the worse. I should just get ready for Destiny 2 (darn fps games), too few actual rpgs mess with multiplayer, when it makes such good sense. Not all rpgs that feature multiplayer need to be MMO, thankfully the chase for WoW's success is dying down. There's always ARPGs.

Sounds great in concept...looking forward to it

If this is MH-like...and is actually good, this could be a great extension to the game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Definitely a wait and see kind of deal, but the price point is interesting at the very least. Don't know whether to expect a lot of value packed in for less or something really short/insignificant and overpriced at $25.

Fine with this. It's an incentive for something different from the main game but doesn't feel like it was removed from the original game to be sold as dlc. Will be waiting on reviews on whether I buy any of them. I'm sold on giving the game a spin but have no expectation on whether the game will actually be good.

What the hell does multiplayer even mean for this title?

“When we’ve released all three of those character expansion DLCs and we’ve got all the comrades from the main game as playable characters, we’ll bring Noctis back in as the fourth member of the party and then add an online multiplayer expansion to bring them all together,”

Dragons Dogma Online style probably :)

MogCakes

Ehhhhhhhh. Pass. I'll buy the DLC on its own if it interests me. I don't like the idea of a season pass for a jRPG.

That's kinda crazy they are going to offer a multiplayer mode. I remember in Middle school a friend and I playing FFIV on SNES with two controllers.

Zedark

The DLC plan seems fair, I just don't think I personally am really convinced by the content it offers (as a singleplayer gamer, those three episodes will be a wait and see to determine whether they are worth €25). Still, for coop fans this is a really nice way of implementing it, basically setting up the gameplay for the other bros with the episodes and then tying the gameplay into a 4-player coop is quite ingenious from the sound of it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's kinda crazy they are going to offer a multiplayer mode. I remember in Middle school a friend and I playing FFIV on SNES with two controllers.

Square Enix has been rolling out multiplayer modes into a lot of their games lately. I suspect it's a bit of a company initiative.

Tomb Raider got an MP update. FFXV is getting MP as DLC. World of Final Fantasy has it. IO Interactive and Eidos Montreal have been hiring MP staff. Kingdom Hearts has had it for a while, and they've implied KH3 will as well.

Ray Down

Banned
Square Enix has been rolling out multiplayer modes into a lot of their games lately. I suspect it's a bit of a company initiative.

Tomb Raider got an MP update. FFXV is getting MP as DLC. World of Final Fantasy has it. IO Interactive and Eidos Montreal have been hiring MP staff. Kingdom Hearts has had it for a while.

Wada( or Hasihmoto) said as much, he said all FF games going forward would have some sort of mutiplayer competent.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ewwww at the multiplayer mode, honestly not interested.

Regardless can anyone clarify on the story DLCs? In the same text it says there are 3 planned but then adds "for a fourth one we're bringing noctis back" as if there's one more...
any ideas?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ewwww at the multiplayer mode, honestly not interested.

Regardless can anyone clarify on the story DLCs? In the same text it says there are 3 planned but then adds "for a fourth one we're bringing noctis back" as if there's one more...
any ideas?

The fourth one is the multiplayer DLC. They're "bringing Noctis back" as in you play as either him or one of the other three.

chefbags

These individual stories and final multiplayer mode better not turn out to be shallow as all fuck...

Well considering how much thought they put in the anime in fleshing out each character a bit I don't have much doubt on that aspect.

The multi-player mode in what I hope is just adding it so that I can coop the whole game would be so fucking nice.

Fisty

Season Pass content sounds like it may take place during the main story? Meh guess I'll have no problem getting the game+pass when it gets to be around $60 and all the content is out. The good Pro patch might be done by then as well

dramatis

Tomb Raider got an MP update. FFXV is getting MP as DLC. World of Final Fantasy has it. IO Interactive and Eidos Montreal have been hiring MP staff. Kingdom Hearts has had it for a while, and they've implied KH3 will as well.
They eyeing that GTA Online money

NateDog

That co-op bit is confusing, but I guess a horde mode type of thing sounds about right. They said they weren't able to keep all 4 characters as playable so things would change a lot if all of a sudden that was possible for the entire game.

Koozek

That co-op bit is confusing, but I guess a horde mode type of thing sounds about right. They said they weren't able to keep all 4 characters as playable so things would change a lot if all of a sudden that was possible for the entire game.
Keep in mind that the Online Mode DLC will probably come out a year from now or so (like Blood & Wine).

NateDog

Keep in mind that the Online Mode DLC will probably come out a year from now or so (like Blood & Wine).
True enough. Still I couldn't see them release a DLC that could let you play as all 4 characters through the story like planned with Versus and include it in a season pass with 3 other DLCs which comes to €25. They know a lot of people want it.

MilkBeard

Sounds pretty good. If they have a multiplayer dlc mode coming, then if it proves successful I could imagine more online expansions. I'm cool with that as long as they are good.

Top Bottom