• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Season Pass Detailed (3 Story DLCs + Online Multiplayer DLC, $24.99)

Dark_castle

>Take character switching out of the game because "it's too difficult"
>Re-introduce character switching with paid dlc
>???
>Profit!

FireVoa

I'm quite content with my Ultimate Edition preorder not containing the seasons pass. Most definitely passing on this.

Koozek

sorry i am a snes ps1 ps2 guy
Me too. Doesn't mean I'm stuck in the past with no understanding for how the industry works nowadays. Witcher 3 showed DLC can be wonderful if done right. It was the first time I bought DLC ever.

>Take character switching out of the game because "it's too difficult"
>Re-introduce character switching with paid dlc
>???
>Profit!
:
Because they're their own self-contained things with everything built around the respective character's unique gameplay style/mechanic specifically. And you only play those DLCs solo, not with the full party. If they did character-switching in the main game they would've had to create and polish 4 versions of every dynamic cutscene and set-piece for whatever character the player is playing currently or forcibly switch to Noctis for most parts when your current character isn't active. The way it is now Noctis is the central point around which everything is built and there are sections where only 2 or 3 out of the main party are present. E.g. the Titan section where only Gladio and Noctis are together - now what if someone chose to play Ignis or Prompto here instead? They'd have to create another playable section or whatever for those two now. The co-op won't be part of the main game either for the same reason. Probably a battle arena of some sort or another story DLC with less Noctis-centered gameplay.

And let's not even start with how silly, and badly thought-out Nomura's idea of having 4 completely different gameplay styles for each character in Versus was. That shit was so obviously overambitious and would've only resulted in 3 shoehorned, half-baked mechanics.

Nerokis

Because they're their own self-contained things with everything built around the respective character's unique gameplay style/mechanic specifically. And you only play those DLCs solo, not with the full party. If they did character-switching in the main game they would've had to create and polish 4 versions of every dynamic cutscene and set-piece for whatever character the player is playing currently or forcibly switch to Noctis for most parts when your current character isn't active. The way it is now Noctis is the central point around which everything is built and there are sections where only 2 or 3 out of the main party are present. E.g. the Titan section where only Gladio and Noctis are together - now what if someone chose to play Ignis or Prompto here instead? They'd have to create another playable section or whatever for those two now. The co-op won't be part of the main game either for the same reason. Probably a battle arena of some sort or another story DLC with less Noctis-centered gameplay.

And let's not even start with how silly, and badly thought-out Nomura's idea of having 4 completely different gameplay styles for each character in Versus was. That shit was so obviously overambitious and would've only resulted in 3 shoehorned, half-baked mechanics.

Yep.

I want to emphasize that I couldn't agree more with that second paragraph. The little we saw of character switching gave me bad Dirge of Cerberus vibes, projected a lack of focus in Versus XIII's development, and remains one of the reasons I have a tough time putting all the blame on SE management (as opposed to Nomura and his team) for its development issues. Just seemed like a prime example of something that was being promised without much thought to implementation.

But more to the point of this thread, I think it's cool the DLC is going to deliver a bit on that promise. Even with the much smaller scope, though, I suspect it's going to end up feeling somewhat messy. I expect the DLC's selling point to be novelty and story, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if any compelling gameplay possibilities are actually opened up by playing another character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder when the DLCs take place. Before the main story?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Literally in the second sentence of the OP:
I thought that might include FFXV as a whole, including Kingsglaive. Kind of weird that they take place during the main game.

These expansions will apparently all be story-driven and tell stories that’ll flesh out each of these characters. They’re also stories that Sawatari expresses a confidence players who’ve seen the main game start to finish will still want to see. “They’re very closely related and entwined with the main story of FF15,” he hints, though keeps further details under his hat.

For fuck's sake, I'm already paying $80 CAD for the base game. Now I have to pay more for story content?

Mcdohl

For fuck's sake, I'm already paying $80 CAD for the base game. Now I have to pay more for story content?

FFXV will be a self-contained experience without the DLC.

The DLC are additional chapters that dive deeper into Prompto, Ignis, and Glad.

Btw, wasn't there a Holiday DLC as well?

Did that get canned?

Ray Down

Banned
FFXV will be a self-contained experience without the DLC.

The DLC are additional chapters that dive deeper into Prompto, Ignis, and Glad.

Btw, wasn't there a Holiday DLC as well?

Did that get canned?

I think he just didn't talk about it since its most likely skins and shit and not a huge major dlc like the bro episodes and the expansion.

This is suuuuuch vindication to that statement from I think Nomura or maybe the SE pres yeeears ago about SE making the initiative to have an online or social component in all their games.

This is huge and gives me great faith that KH3 will have a multiplayer component like the Mirage Arena. Take me gil and take me munny SE!

Koozek

New info (thanks to Mognet's @Storm):
  • Their goal for the DLCs is really to focus on Noctis' friends.
  • Each DLCs includes new story elements, new gameplay experiences and new locations.
  • The journalist(s) saw footage of Gladio's DLC, it was in a cave and represented 20% of what the devs are aiming for, and that the animations still needed to be worked on.
  • They saw a fight against an armored guy and it really reminded them of the Souls Saga.
  • The footage ended with a more powerful boss.
  • The length of each DLCs should be enough for every kind of gamer.
  • The DLCs aren't linked to Kingsglaive or Brotherhood, just the main game.
  • They won't talk about their planning until it is ready.
  • The team is aware of the high demand of a DLC featuring Luna as the heroin and he said they will think about it.
  • Gladio's gameplay is action oriented , it is quite different from Noctis' .
  • Sawatari Haru Yoshi (the DLC director) worked on Bloodborne and he admits that Gladio's gameplay has some similarities. He is happy that the journalist noticed this detail.
  • From the beginning FFXV, the main game, was focused on Noctis so they aren't worried about those who think party switching was removed to make new DLCs. The DLCs are purely additional content.

valkyre

A bit of an offtopic question here, for those who have watched it, should I watch Kingslaive film before playing FFXV, or am I going to draw a lot of conclusions for FFXV's story if I watch the film now?

I see that there are 2 schools of thought, either go:

Brotherhood>Kingslaive>FFXV

or:

Brotherhood>FFXV>Kinglsaive

Would appreciate any help.

Koozek

A bit of an offtopic question here, for those who have watched it, should I watch Kingslaive film before playing FFXV, or am I going to draw a lot of conclusions for FFXV's story if I watch the film now?

Brotherhood<Kingslaive<FFXV

or:

Brotherhood<FFXV<Kinglsaive

Brotherhood->Kingslaive->FFXV seems like the best order to me as someone before recommended. Brotherhood makes you get to know and like the cast first, which might make it easier to feel "what's at stake" for Noctis & Co. in Kingsglaive, where they aren't shown in and just talked about in third person.

sappyday

or:

Watch Kingsglaive first. Then the game for the first chapter. Then Brotherhood. Then back to the game.

KiteGr

The release is just a month away!
Why do you have to make me wait now for a "Complete Edition" of all times!

Rappy

or:

As someone said in another thread: order of release. I can understand saying Kingsglaive first if you're doing whole completion. But the final episode of the anime (not counting the Luna(?) one that's the bonus) has more impact after Kingsglaive. Or do things mid-game: in-game "newspaper scene" -> Kingsglaive -> final anime episode (the other anime episodes can possibly go anywhere before this final one)

Wait, what? Badly thought-out and overambitious? You're acting like different gameplay styles for different characters in action RPGs isn't as standard as standard gets. Even budget JRPGs like the Tales of games have a distinct playstyle for each character to reflect their specific strengths and weaknesses. The only thing that seemed strange or overambitious back then was Prompto's third-person aiming, which is still in the game in its current state in Noctis' hands. I get that you like the project as it stands and want to defend it, but party control with distinct playstyles is baseline stuff, not reaching for the stars.

The cutscene and scenario stuff is really no trouble, either. All you need to do is make cutscenes, certain boss fights, etc. locked to Noctis as the playable character. This is another things that's pretty standard in JRPGs, where you're limited to certain party members. As long as there's an allowance made in most fights for party control through certain phases, you aren't even really limiting the options of the players at all.

Wild Card

I hope they didn't decide to move all of your party members backstories and background stuff away into the dlc, instead of actually telling it in the main game. I shouldn't have to get the dlc to be given a reason to like these guys I'm going to be spending the entire game with. To be honest I'm just thinking about that Omen trailer and how much I liked it, part of that probably because of the lack if his usual posse. Also please don't infect remake with this dumb multiplayer baggage.

valkyre

Watch Kingsglaive first. Then the game for the first chapter. Then Brotherhood. Then back to the game.

As someone said in another thread: order of release. I can understand saying Kingsglaive first if you're doing whole completion. But the final episode of the anime (not counting the Luna(?) one that's the bonus) has more impact after Kingsglaive. Or do things mid-game: in-game "newspaper scene" -> Kingsglaive -> final anime episode (the other anime episodes can possibly go anywhere before this final one)

Based on both your answers how does that sound:

Brotherhood episodes 1-3 -> Kingslaive -> FFXV chapter 1 -> Brotherhood episodes 4-5

Am I thinking too much about it lol?

Koozek

The release is just a month away!
Why do you have to make me wait now for a "Complete Edition" of all times!
Why not just get the DLC as they come or do you generally wait a year or more for those editions? Not that there's something wrong with that necessarily, I mean, I don't really feel the need to play the newest games right when they release either. I only played The Witcher 3 this year for the first time and it was great to experience the best version with all the patches applied. But man, for FFXV I would never ever wait a year to play the main game just because of a bit of extra side content - not after all these years :D

There will never be an AAA game nowadays without DLC and an eventual Complete Edition anymore anyway. Even Nintendo (!) does DLC a lot now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why not just get the DLC as they come or do you generally wait a year or more for those editions? Not that there's something wrong with that necessarily, I mean, I don't really feel the need to play the newest games right when they release either. I only played The Witcher 3 this year for the first time and it was great to experience the best version with all the patches applied. But man, for FFXV I would never ever wait a year to play the main game just because of a bit of extra side content - not after all these years :D

There will never be an AAA game nowadays without DLC and an eventual Complete Edition anymore anyway. Even Nintendo (!) does DLC a lot now.

I'm not convinced there will be a "complete edition". Square Enix has never done one for FFs before, and they've had FFs with DLC (XIII-2 and LR).

It's a big release, so there certainly well could be a complete edition. Maybe it'd take the place of the revenue they like from the "International Versions" (since this game has simultaneous worldwide release, there can't be an international version). But I could also see a scenario where someone waiting for a complete edition holds their breath and that day doesn't actually come.

Dark_castle

New info (thanks to Mognet's @Storm):
  • Their goal for the DLCs is really to focus on Noctis' friends.
  • Each DLCs includes new story elements, new gameplay experiences and new locations.
  • The journalist(s) saw footage of Gladio's DLC, it was in a cave and represented 20% of what the devs are aiming for, and that the animations still needed to be worked on.
  • They saw a fight against an armored guy and it really reminded them of the Souls Saga.
  • The footage ended with a more powerful boss.
  • The length of each DLCs should be enough for every kind of gamer.
  • The DLCs aren't linked to Kingsglaive or Brotherhood, just the main game.
  • They won't talk about their planning until it is ready.
  • The team is aware of the high demand of a DLC featuring Luna as the heroin and he said they will think about it.
  • Gladio's gameplay is action oriented , it is quite different from Noctis' .
  • Sawatari Haru Yoshi (the DLC director) worked on Bloodborne and he admits that Gladio's gameplay has some similarities. He is happy that the journalist noticed this detail.
  • From the beginning FFXV, the main game, was focused on Noctis so they aren't worried about those who think party switching was removed to make new DLCs. The DLCs are purely additional content.

I know he actually was referring to Souls series, but Soul Saga is an actual game, an indie JRPG in the works.

Soul-Saga-Character-Collage.jpg

synce

I'll just wait for the complete edition, but it's disappointing to see they're shoehorning multiplayer into mainline FFs now. Wouldn't surprise me if FF16 was entirely MP focused

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll just wait for the complete edition, but it's disappointing to see they're shoehorning multiplayer into mainline FFs now. Wouldn't surprise me if FF16 was entirely MP focused

I wouldn't fret over this at all. The core game is 100% single player. Multiplayer is a complete add-on event that has nothing to do with the core experience.

Four seperate story DLC packs and a Coop multiplayer mode!? Buying the game by itself at release, but if the game itself is as good as I think it will be, I'll be grabbing this for sure. This is how DLC should be.

They already have two extremely successful mainline Final Fantasies that are completely multiplayer focused.

So, you skipped 3,4,5,6 and 9 which had 2 player coop, then?

Not to mention 11 and 14(and 14:ARR) which were mainline numbered MMOs?

I don't think it's wise for SE's marketing team to concentrate so much on Season Pass and DLCs right now. I think it'll rub some people the wrong way since it'll mostly seem like they've removed these features from the base game to sell them separately, which I don't believe to be true.

SE needs to just focus on the base game for now and start talking about DLCs a month or two after the game has come out.

Koozek

So, you skipped 3,4,5,6 and 9 which had 2 player coop, then?

Not to mention 11 and 14(and 14:ARR) which were mainline numbered MMOs?
Hehe, just remembered playing FFIX with my buddy back then (obviously only during combat).

bunkitz

I'm not judging it or anything, but "online multiplayer" for a, well, single-player Final Fantasy game just seems weird. If it's just an online co-op version the game where one player can play as Noctis, and another one as Ignis, etc. then that would make sense. Yeah, that's probably what it'll be, right...?

Koozek

I'm not judging it or anything, but "online multiplayer" for a, well, single-player Final Fantasy game just seems weird. If it's just an online co-op version the game where one player can play as Noctis, and another one as Ignis, etc. then that would make sense. Yeah, that's probably what it'll be, right...?
Uhm, what else would it be? 4 Noctises? Read the OP:
Following the release of the character episodes, Comrades—an expansion pack for FINAL FANTASY XV—will introduce a brand-new online co-op mode for up to four players which features intense battles allowing players to take full control of Noctis, Gladio, Prompto and Ignis as a group. Comrades will be available for separate purchase, and is also included in the Season Pass.​

And I'm pretty sure it won't be possible to play the main game co-op because they all apparently have their own gameplay (Gladio more Dark Souls-like, Prompto TPS-style etc.), so it will just be its own episode too. It says "which features intenste battles...", which sounds more like a battle arena thing or Horde Mode.

bunkitz

Uhm, what else would it be? 4 Noctises? Read the OP:
Following the release of the character episodes, Comrades—an expansion pack for FINAL FANTASY XV—will introduce a brand-new online co-op mode for up to four players which features intense battles allowing players to take full control of Noctis, Gladio, Prompto and Ignis as a group. Comrades will be available for separate purchase, and is also included in the Season Pass.​

And I'm pretty sure it won't be possible to play the main game co-op because they all apparently have their own gameplay (Gladio more Dark Souls-like, Prompto TPS-style etc.), so it will just be its own episode too. It says "which features intenste battles...", which sounds more like a battle arena thing or Horde Mode.

Yeah, sorry, my bad! Wasn't really thinking rationally when I first saw the news, I suppose. Probably cause I generally dislike seeing "online multiplayer" in my single-player games, haha.

Rad-

I hope co-op means campaign co-op and not just some minor mode. Though I guess a well done horde mode would be fun too (like ME3).

valkyre

I hope co-op means campaign co-op and not just some minor mode. Though I guess a well done horde mode would be fun too (like ME3).

I hope it isnt campaign co op. I cant imagine how people would find it fun to play a co op heavy story driven RPG really... it makes 0 sense to me. It is impossible to have such a game when it especially is full of cutscenes and centered around 1 character.

I mean can you imagine having fun with a game like that when a bunch of 4 friends on game chat all the time, while the game tries to tell a story and everybody fools around?

Horrible.

A shooter or an action game I can maybe understand being fun. An RPG? Open world as well? No.

Though I am not against some multiplayer hunt mode or something like that. That would be great.

Top Bottom