• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

:( ok maybe context will be the saving grace for everything. Text summaries can often make cool things sound worse than they are. But..... ouch....

I didn't see anything in the leaks that ever seemed bad in the slightest. They're a basic outline of events, the scenes shown in this thread leave me to believe that with context the game's story will be alright. Might not be amazing, but for now it looks pretty cool.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Again what about the leaks were bad?

I mean if that's how you feel we're not going to see eye to eye but suffice to say if you really want to know just read that plot leak thread(don't intend to be dismissive I just don't think I can do a better job at expressing my feelings than all the pages that thread went through).
It perfectly describes the potential problems on all the ways it can fall flat badly.

Charamiwa

Banned
I don't follow things closely (I'm mostly just enjoying the events as they unfold) but the peruvian guy said he hasnt seen a scene between Luna and the white haired dude yet, and that was in the trailers. So that means either it's a flashback, or Luna comes back. If someone with a bit more knowledge on the matter can confirm...

bigol

I mean if that's how you feel we're not going to see eye to eye but suffice to say if you really want to know just read that plot leak thread(don't intend to be dismissive I just don't think I can do a better job at expressing my feelings than all the pages that thread went through).
It perfectly describes the potential problems on all the ways it can fall flat badly.

People overreacted to that thread mostly because it described a complete mess of a game, not functional, in June 2016, barely playing on Ps4, not even starting on Xbox One.

Story stuff the way they described it with those short plot list can make FF VI plot look like a joke. We already knew the leak was mostly true about the story stuff, even Tabata confirmed it, even if he said the leaks weren't 100% true.

I see nothing bad, especially given no centext everything can look good and bad, we need to play it to see if they delivered the scenes in good or bad way and we need to play it to experience if the game feel like a disjointed mess in its transition to a more linear structure or if it's done well.

Anyway i don't know what people even expected from this game story. We have still not reached the point where videogames plots are great, they are good at best. (Witcher 3 is an example of that).

I don't follow things closely (I'm mostly just enjoying the events as they unfold) but the peruvian guy said he hasnt seen a scene between Luna and the white haired dude yet, and that was in the trailers. So that means either it's a flashback, or Luna comes back. If someone with a bit more knowledge on the matter can confirm...

There are supposedly flashbacks in the post Altissia "half" of the game that have Luna in them so...unless he missed some or they were inexplicably cut I guess they are yet to come.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People overreacted to that thread mostly because it described a complete mess of a game, not functional, in June 2016, barely playing on Ps4, not even starting on Xbox One.

Story stuff the way they described it with those short plot list can make FF VI plot look like a joke. We already knew the leak ws mostly true about the story stuff, even Tabata confirmed it, even if he said the leakes weren't 100% true.

I see nothing bad, especially given no centext everything can look good and bad, we need to play it to see if they delivered the scenes in good or bad way.

Yeah that's why I said context can be its saving grace. As for the leaks being confirmed by Tabata wasn't aware of that.

As for the thread overreacting and this narrative about nothing bad... sigh... I'll just cite one thing among many which is the 10 years time skip for Noctis to gather enough energy.(Basically a dev cost vs story benefit and I ain't seeing it, it kind of showcases a focus on being flashy instead of having substance)

It's insanely stupid if taken at face value, when you think about the why create all these new models etc, why have this time skip which creates other story implications and the only justification being he needs to gather energy to go into the finale and all of it happens somewhat shortly after Luna's death, kind of takes the wind out of that event. It's just not very inspiring.

But yeah in the end like I said if you read the plot leaks and think it sounds totally fine I'm not going to agree with that perspective. In the end it does in some way boil down to what I personally would have liked the story to be, like with most story criticism.

It's also worrisome that the story was cited as a huge mess and my biggest worry is just that the characters all have no real depth to them, relying solely on their designs or tropes.

I will say the Judgement demo did make a good first impression for the core group.
But that's not enough to carry them through the whole game I really need these characters to be good :(

Yeah, there is at least one more scene with Ravus and Luna from the Judgment trailer that hasn't been seen by Perubro yet. It could be a flashback?

aitakute

Story stuff the way they described it with those short plot list can make FF VI plot look like a joke. We already knew the leak ws mostly true about the story stuff, even Tabata confirmed it, even if he said the leakes weren't 100% true.

This. This is what I've been telling my friend who read that spoiler. He decided to hate this game since then no matter what I tried to tell him. He doesn't want to understand any good point of this game and just wants the game to fail now. No matter how many good previews, word of mouth, he just doesn't care anymore and refuse to even play the demo. Even though I've told him that I can make even P5's story sounds like ass by telling him plot points without any context.
I'd say that spoiler has ruined this game for many people. I don't know why there're so many people who just want this game to fail now. Like they hate this game with a passion

uUKWAk1.jpg

Holy shit it's happening?!

Yeah that's why I said context can be its saving grace. As for the leaks being confirmed by Tabata wasn't aware of that.

As for the thread overreacting and this narrative about nothing bad... sigh... I'll just cite one thing among many which is the 10 years time skip for Noctis to gather enough energy.(Basically a dev cost vs story benefit and I ain't seeing it, it kind of showcases a focus on being flashy instead of having substance)

It's insanely stupid if taken at face value, when you think about the why create all these new models etc, why have this time skip which creates other story implications and the only justification being he needs to gather energy to go into the finale and all of it happens somewhat shortly after Luna's death, kind of takes the wind out of that event. It's just not very inspiring.

But yeah in the end like I said if you read the plot leaks and think it sounds totally fine I'm not going to agree with that perspective. In the end it does in some way boil down to what I personally would have liked the story to be, like with most story criticism.

It's also worrisome that the story was cited as a huge mess and my biggest worry is just that the characters all have no real depth to them, relying solely on their designs or tropes.

I will say the Judgement demo did make a good first impression for the core group.
But that's not enough to carry them through the whole game I really need these characters to be good
:(

Characters feel doubly important for a game more about "the journey" than anything else, but people seem to be of the opinion that if anything the story might have been sacrificed at the expense of character etc. It also apparently makes use of talks in the Regalia/out and about vs text box cutscenes ala FFs of old.

bigol

But that's not enough to carry them through the whole game I really need these characters to be good :(

Ok, but there is no context, we don't know how the guys relationship is developed, how much gameplay time passes from Luna's death to the 10 year skip, we don't have more details about why does he have to sleep 10 years to gather energy. Again, we need context.

Most people didn't even reach that point, right? I see they are at Chapter 9 or 10.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Characters feel doubly important for a game more about "the journey" than anything else, but people seem to be of the opinion that if anything the story might have been sacrificed at the expense of character etc. It also apparently makes use of talks in the Regalia/out and about vs text box cutscenes ala FFs of old.

Personally would be fine with that. Personally characters that are worth remembering are more important to me than the overall plot.

So now that Ardyn is pretty much proven to be a 2000 years old, evil fuckery thing that's the final boss...What's the point of the empire? Aldercapt, and Verstael and what not...Story better get better as it goes on haha.

What a goddamn mess.

Isn't this exactly the same as XII though? Evil Empire actually being favoured and manipulated by a sort of godlike being.

Personally would be fine with that. Personally characters that are worth remembering are more important to me than the overall plot.

Agreed. Your profile pic reminds me...Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I love it for the characters, not so much for the plot.I wouldn't imagine that Noctis and Co would be my first choice of fictional characters to spend time with but if at the end I end up thinking "*sigh*....I miss them" then I'll be happy.

Maebe

Quite frankly, the story seems to be about as rich as FF1. Crystals, four heroes and one magical asshole who's the final boss. Luna gets fridged but she's Ubisoft iconic. The shallowest move Tabata could do. Sephiroth wannabe moment lol.

Yes, my thought exactly. What i hate story the most is how they just focus on king, true king, only king, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, FF VS XIII depicted the war between Niflheim and Lucis, how Noctis seeks revenge and takes crystal back.
I'm so angry when they turn hood man character to Ravus who does not have any importance to the lore.

Seems like the scope got simplified drastically.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, my thought exactly. What i hate story the most is how they just focus on king, true king, only king, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, FF VS XIII depicted the war between Niflheim and Lucis, how Noctis seeks revenge and takes crystal back.
I'm so angry when they turn hood man character to Ravus who does not have any importance to the lore.

It did paint a picture of more political undertones in a way also totally dug the Yakuza vibe that got replaced with .... oh well not the time to whine about what could have been but embrace the possibility of what we're getting being great in its own way.

Judgement demo has moved me from I'm going to be fine even if this doesn't turn out great to I'm going to be really disappointed if this is a another weird train wreck of production values > everything else.

Agreed. Your profile pic reminds me...Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I love it for the characters, not so much for the plot.I wouldn't imagine that Noctis and Co would be my first choice of fictional characters to spend time with but if at the end I end up thinking "*sigh*....I miss them" then I'll be happy.

Amen.

lightning would never have done this to us.

come back, queen.

She must not be forgotten.

Also, in response to your previous post - We still have Iris, Aranea and Gentiana as far as prominent females in this game. There's still hope that those characters end up being great. Of course they aren't nearly as important as Luna eh. Sucks that Luna gets the shaft but I'm cool with it if the moment is executed well and with a good impact.

She must not be forgotten.
she cannot be <3
Also, in response to your previous post - We still have Iris, Aranea and Gentiana as far as prominent females in this game. There's still hope that those characters end up being great. Of course they aren't nearly as important as Luna eh.

after cindy and now this i'm kind of throwing hope out the window
po3RDVm.gif

but you're right, there's still a chance for them.

Burbeting

Banned
Tidus is fighting a whale who is actually his father and they are both actually just dream projections. Also, blue-haired smurf is evil.

--

I do think it's bit disappointing that the plot leaks all the way from summer seems to end up being true. How does the "prophecy" and Noctis being the chosen one of saving the world end up factoring in this?

bigol

Probably the same response I had when it was revealed "...what"

I was like WTF at the end, yet i enjoyed every single moment of the game story until then.
I only hope overall story in FF XV is more present than it was in FF XII (for example) where the second half is so confusing to me. I wouldn't want the game to expect me assuming story from dialogue or items. This is not Dark Souls, this is Final Fantasy, they always narrated story with great cutscene direction and CGI, even in the end plot made little to no sense.

Ludens

Banned

Regarding trophies, is there someone requiring to beat the game on a set difficulty setting or can I go with easy? The fact is, I want to trade-in the game so I will recover 100% or even more (considering I'm paying the game 25€ thanks to an offer from Unieuro plus a voucher I have) of its value, so I want to beat it as soon as possible, but since I can play, if I'm lucky and in the mood, just a couple of hours each day, if I can cut time would be appreciated.

yunbuns

So do you guys like the spoilers so far?

I like them. Like others have stated any FF game can look bad if you just put it into lists and make it sound as simple as possible without context of how everything fits together. Also I don't see how Luna dying sets a series that's had almost 30 years of great female characters back but different opinions I guess. Isn't 3 out of the five known major female characters guest party members?: Araena, Luna, and Iris?

I'd forgotten Cindy even existed until just now >_>

Honestly she hasn't even been that relevant to the game considering the way SE kept marketing her and the huge discourse she brought on. They should have just redesigned her. :/

Don't suppose we get anymore closure about the surviving characters from Kingsglaive? I know the story isn't about them, and I found Kingsglaive to be boring as hell, but it'd feel a bit...weird for Glauca etc to not appear at some point.

Mifec

Don't suppose we get anymore closure about the surviving characters from Kingsglaive? I know the story isn't about them, and I found Kingsglaive to be boring as hell, but it'd feel a bit...weird for Glauca etc to not appear at some point.

He died though.

Top Bottom