• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

Huh... weird.

There's a guy who posts on an Arabian forum, claims to be an insider. He previously "leaked" Star Ocean V and FFVIIR a while before their announcements. He now claims that's the "Versus XV" thing have actually been discussed internally, and that it has a good chance of happening.

I mean, take it with a huge grain of salt, I just thought that might be interesting for some people here.

Isaccard

Huh... weird.

There's a guy who posts on an Arabian forum, claims to be an insider. He previously "leaked" Star Ocean V and FFVIIR a while before their announcements. He now claims that's the "Versus XV" thing have actually been discussed internally, and that it has a good chance of happening.

I mean, take it with a huge grain of salt, I just thought that might be interesting for some people here.

But why? As much as I enjoyed the XIII Trilogy, it would be a mistake for them to go back and revisit it outside of cameos with another mainline title.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But why? As much as I enjoyed the XIII Trilogy, it would be a mistake for them to go back and revisit it outside of cameos with another mainline title.

Although for some reason, people actually want a XV-2, something like X-2. XIII didn't have that pull for people to want a XIII-2 (but it still happened).

Because Nomura's vision /s

I'd be happy to have a plot overview from the man himself. As much as I love FFXV, flaws and all, It would be neat to see how different both games would be.

Maybe Versus XV could just be a dream Noctis had while he was sleeping for 10 years. Plus it would be easier to make via asset reuse. Sounds more viable if you think about it.

Mailbox

Huh... weird.

I'm sure some sort of talks for something are underway, but until DLC is all done and story is all patched up and the PC version launchs, I wouldn't expect anything to start.
Hell, by that point I don't think It will leave just talks or pre-planning. I just don't think it would be... idk... right?

Honestly I just want them to take FF15, learn from the mistakes that game had, and work iterative into FF16. The luminous engine is done, its limits are pretty well known now, and its robust enough an engine to pretty much do what they want for any future ff game.

Because Nomura's vision /s

I'd be happy to have a plot overview from the man himself. As much as I love FFXV, flaws and all, It would be neat to see how different both games would be.

Maybe Versus XV could just be a dream Noctis had while he was sleeping for 10 years. Plus it would be easier to make via asset reuse. Sounds more viable if you think about it.

I wanna see both stories in full tbh.
The 15 story: Kingsglaive, brotherhood, the game guide, everything. I wanna know what they wanted us to experiance.
the Versus 13 story: the Nojima Scenerio that was completed prior to the project shift. I REALLY wanna see that. The rumours/ leaks about Stella being dead all along, Noctis having killed her and how Ravus' motives were revenge for his sister's death are super interesting and I wanna know if its true.

At this point, its not about showing us because "vision". Its about history. I just... wanna know.

edit: if a versus 15 (bad name btw) does indeed happen, let it be a X-2 situation where its an all female cast. World of ruin allows for it, so do it! that said, it'd be a final fantasy without magic... so... hmm...

I wanna see both stories in full tbh.
The 15 story: Kingsglaive, brotherhood, the game guide, everything. I wanna know what they wanted us to experiance.
the Versus 13 story: the Nojima Scenerio that was completed prior to the project shift. I REALLY wanna see that. The rumours/ leaks about Stella being dead all along, Noctis having killed her and how Ravus' motives were revenge for his sister's death are super interesting and I wanna know if its true.

At this point, its not about showing us because "vision". Its about history. I just... wanna know.

edit: if a versus 15 (bad name btw) does indeed happen, let it be a X-2 situation where its an all female cast. World of ruin allows for it, so do it! that said, it'd be a final fantasy without magic... so... hmm...

I was being sarcastic about the Nomura's vision, the man wanted it to be a musical at one point. He is too ambitious, and crazy, for his own good. It's a miracle FFXV released at all, I feel.

Mailbox

I was being sarcastic about the Nomura's vision, the man wanted it to be a musical at one point. He is too ambitious, and crazy, for his own good. It's a miracle FFXV released at all, I feel.

I know (though I think he was joking about that musical thing (not that I wouldn't like to see that heh)).

I was just saying that its more out of curiosity of the history of everything now than some sort of feeling cheated out of something, ya know?

Koozek

Huh... weird.

vNuoAtQ.jpg

Speaking of which, a friend of mine got me thinking today: There is no real lore related reason for Royal Arms to suck your HP when landing hits, is there? Would that just be an extension to the ring of the lucii sucking out the life from its wearer?

It's weird. That which is supposed to make you strong drains your HP, yet that which has taken countless lives just by wearing it actually heals you when you cast Death. It feels backwards and really put me off using the Royal Arms. I don't want to heal every couple seconds for the sake of something which might do a little more damage.

KupoNut

We shouldn't rush to conclusions and assume the Versus plot leaks are real here.

I would really dig a Versus XIII re-branded as Final Fantasy XVI. It would be crazy and unprecedented but would save them time/assets and Final Fantasy really doesn't need another 3 year gap between mainline releases (and I don't think FFXVI has started development sadly enough).

Maybe Versus' plot from start to finish wasn't that different from FFXV, but just had more depth and characters, which would've made for a vastly different game.

Mieu

Thanks guys for answering my questions.

Has anyone played the PSN game King's Tale? It features
Ultros
as a boss. Never thought he'll make it in an actual game. Haha!

Was General Glauca supposed to appear in the game?

Koozek

We shouldn't rush to conclusions and assume the Versus plot leaks are real here.

I would really dig a Versus XIII re-branded as Final Fantasy XVI. It would be crazy and unprecedented but would save them time/assets and Final Fantasy really doesn't need another 3 year gap between mainline releases (and I don't think FFXVI has started development sadly enough).

Maybe Versus' plot from start to finish wasn't that different from FFXV, but just had more depth and characters, which would've made for a vastly different game.
Uhhm, why not just call it FF Versus XV
or FF Versus XIII Remake
then instead of FFXVI, which would be confusing as hell? oO

Lexxism

It took 10 years for Noctis to combine the power of the crystal to the ring. Pretty much like how SE took to complete the game lol

Huh... weird.

He leaked them before they were 'leaked' or he just forwards the information that he reads online.

Likely BS.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Finished the game yesterday, finished at 60 hours with lots of sidequests and exploration done and traded it in today, but here are my quick thoughts

Disclaimer: This is my only final fantasy I've ever completed, however I've played good chunks of Crisis Core and 13, both of which i dislike ( I'm intrigued by 12 though)

The Good
  • Cutscenes looked great and overall story of what they were trying to do was actually pretty decent and interesting, although i wish there were more prerendered cutscenes as opposed to ingame ones as they sometimes look quite bad and game glitches up at points.
  • Combat was fun, especially against the huge bosses.
  • Liked the idea of the wild hunts, reminded me of monster hunter but could have been handled better.
  • Map looked absolutely gorgeous.
  • Alot of great voice work from some characters, especially characters on the side of the empire.
  • Loved the camping aspect, plus cooking and taking photographs. Really added to the experience and made it feel like a journey
  • Loved the monster design too. I like the idea of hidden tombs with special weapons, i always love things like that in games.
  • When the summons occur, they are really fucking cool and actually make you feel like a powerful king.
  • Some dialogue exchange between the main gang are really good and make them feel like they are actually friends.

The Bad

• Fights could have used more special abilities akin to older games and more summons and special moves. Plus magic should have been more useful/in-depth and should not have friendly fire on as most of the time I ended up wiping my team rather than do any damage to the enemy.
  • Story was a mess in terms of actual big climatic or emotional or even tense moments. Should of been more big bosses like leviathan and the titan and the naked fire dude, plus loads of shit happens in the story that doesn't get explained, and any interesting plot lines are either not explained, or happen in the anime/movie. Seriously there were like 3 Empire people including the emperor, who appear in a cutscene for like 30 seconds and they are just dead at the end of the game( minus the emperor or has a shitty boss fight as generic ridley looking monster). Anything interesting seemed to happen in Kingsglaive
  • The Story starts incredibly slow and boring in the beginning for me and only ramps up around the first base siege and leviathan encounter.
  • Some of the writing is actually dreadful, especially when it tries to be emotional. The Whole prompto speech about how he thinks nobody likes him came completely out of nowhere and seemed really fake
  • Chapter 13 (Except for the end bit which was quite strong)
  • End Boss was shit, also the whole '10 years gap' i thought was a really cheap way to try and build up the final fight. That 10-year gap also was not explained very well at all, and I love how after not seeing their best friend and king for ten years, everyones response is basically ' oh hey cool you're back'. It sounds generic, but i would of preferred some like mass effect 3 and 2 style ending where you gather up more party members and try to elicit help from certain cities and hunters and mercenaries 'Aranea and the altissia city' and do one huge assault of the enemy main base with the help of the gods and former kings on your side. Could have made for a really climatic fight instead of the boring one we got.
  • Traversal and quick travel and loading times were awful. Main reason why i stopped doing any sidequests and just blazed through the main story. Speaking of side quests.....
  • Side quests are absolutely horrendous. Boring missions that don't even make sense ('Hello future king, can you get some tomatoes for me that are surrounded by death eating monsters? ill give you some celery and gold k thanks bye')
  • The Party AI against high-level monsters and bosses completely falls apart. Who decided to make the AI not be able to dodge clearly choreographed attacks?
  • Dodging for the main character is a bit inconsistent, sometimes Noctis doesn't stop attacking when I need him to and so I can't get out of combat
  • Warping to a warp point takes too much time when in the middle of combat.
  • The Royal Arms/Tomb location where either really interesting with cool boss fights, or just Noctis walking through caves and hallways. Also, the royal arms were pretty useless in combat anyway due to how much health they took away.
  • I Hate the main 4's design. There edgy and they really REALLY don't suit the rest of the world they are in. Black with bits of red and skull and crossbones? really? are we 12?. The world and creatures are full of color and life and so Noctis and co's design really pull me out of the world. Also, Prompto is a super annoying character, sorry Yuri lowethal/yosuke.
  • Love how Ravus intentions, hell even the emperors intention's, are just never fucking explained at all. Plus Ardyns super generic 'cast the world in darkness for no reason' plan. Also why did he help noctis again?

I Could probably think of more. I wasn't excited about this game but I'm just disappointed that I really get what they were trying to do, but every great thing about this game has something huge holding it back. Really seems like square didn't want to spend more time and money on the game, and it does seem too ambitious in some places.

Hopefully Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't suffer the same fate.

Honestly if people want to argue on certain points ive made please do, i want to hear others perspectives on things and whether or not the good outweighed the bad,

GunBR

If is true, this Versus XV thing would be like the two versions of Persona 2 no?
It could be interesting. But I doubt that this is real

BasilZero

Huh... weird.

That would be so damn cool if true - but sounds like a dream lol

Son Of D

I feel like the final battle with Ardyn could have been better if it was just the ground battle. A sort of Dante vs Vergil moment where you fight your equal in terms of abilities.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It is a miracle. This game was announced in some form over 10 years ago, before PS3 even launched in America.

What the fuck. It's time to move past the Fabula Nova Crystalis era. Not time to revisit it and try to recreate the original vision or whatever. Just leave it in the past!

The true miracle is that Final Fantasy still exists as a AAA franchise at all. By all rights FNC + FF XIV should've killed it.

I truly hope S-E see this as the end of the dark ages. Just let it be and move on to the next step.

Setsu00

I think we should just all collectively move on from FFXV, Square Enix included. Versus XIII was just not meant to be.

Bring on FFXVI.

Oh, so there is a precedent for this, interesting. How different were those?

It's a completely different situation, actually. Persona 2 was always meant to be a duology and the two games share a lot of similiarities, but Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is a sequel to Persona 2: Innocent Sin. If you don't know the story of one half, the other one will lose a lot of its impact.

On the one hand, I don't want to believe the Versus XV thing is real because it doesn't feel like it makes sense to have Nomura on another game when he still has responsibilities to KH3 & VII:R.

...but on the other, I also think there is no way Squeenix have anything ready for a XVI any time soon (with all the resources they have divided between XV, KH3 & VII:R and their other projects). So maybe they might want to leverage all the assets and cut-content they have from the game currently from XV hoping that it could give them a streamlined project they can ship after KH3 & VII:R while giving XVI enough time to be built from scratch?

I'm secretly hoping that XVI is console/PC FF Type-1 that doesn't have to suffer from PSP/Vita limitations

Huh... weird.

I want to say there's no chance of this being considered, but it's Square, so who knows. After XIII, it's sequels, and now XV, they've proved beyond doubt they've lost the plot with this series.

Here's the issue: Versus XIII didn't happen because it was too ambitious a project, would have needed to be a trilogy, so was changed to XV with a new story but forced to keep some established designs thanks to an over-eagerness to show off trailers and build hype over a game that was barely even in development. So what would happen? Square would announce Versus XV, claim it's the story Versus XIII was always going to be, and they'd show off new footage of the game with Noctis and YAY Stella is back! No game would really exist, but they'd get you all hyped anyway. Cut to the better half of a decade later, after multiple new trailers of nothingness, and they'd end announcing Versus XV has changed lead developer, is now a game for the PS5, and the story is being re-written because it's too ambitious and impossible to fit into a single game. Also, it's now called FF XVI. Years later the game finally releases, we play as Noctis and co again in a story that STILL isn't Versus XIII since that was too ambitious, so everyone kicks up a fuss. Shortly after release Square announce Versus XVI will now happen, and please get excited about Noctis again.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I want to say there's no chance of this being considered, but it's Square, so who knows. After XIII, it's sequels, and now XV, they've proved beyond doubt they've lost the plot with this series.

Here's the issue: Versus XIII didn't happen because it was too ambitious a project, would have needed to be a trilogy, so was changed to XV with a new story but forced to keep some established designs thanks to an over-eagerness to show off trailers and build hype over a game that was barely even in development. So what would happen? Square would announce Versus XV, claim it's the story Versus XIII was always going to be, and they'd show off new footage of the game with Noctis and YAY Stella is back! No game would really exist, but they'd get you all hyped anyway. Cut to the better half of a decade later, after multiple new trailers of nothingness, and they'd end announcing Versus XV has changed lead developer, is now a game for the PS5, and the story is being re-written because it's too ambitious and impossible to fit into a single game. Also, it's now called FF XVI. Years later the game finally releases, we play as Noctis and co again in a story that STILL isn't Versus XIII since that was too ambitious, so everyone kicks up a fuss. Shortly after release Square announce Versus XVI will now happen, and please get excited about Noctis again.

The darkest timeline....
EWwC4Ok.png

Koozek

On the one hand, I don't want to believe the Versus XV thing is real because it doesn't feel like it makes sense to have Nomura on another game when he still has responsibilities to KH3 & VII:R.

...but on the other, I also think there is no way Squeenix have anything ready for a XVI any time soon (with all the resources they have divided between XV, KH3 & VII:R and their other projects). So maybe they might want to leverage all the assets and cut-content they have from the game currently from XV hoping that it could give them a streamlined project they can ship after KH3 & VII:R while giving XVI enough time to be built from scratch?

I'm secretly hoping that XVI is console/PC FF Type-1 that doesn't have to suffer from PSP/Vita limitations
Let's assume for a second the rumors are true, lol
you honestly never know with SE
. It said it would start development after FFVIIR-2, so it would be a few years out and Nomura maybe wouldn't be as deeply involved in FFVIIR anymore after the groundwork has been laid already with Part 1 & 2.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cys9SUCXcAUrEI7.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cys9SUEWgAExUvp.jpg[/IMG]

https://twitter.com/MoogleKupoCake/status/804804373012422656

Also never believe Hashimoto if he denies the existence of a yet unannounced game :D You can google his interviews before game announcements and he always says the same thing (as does every developer, really). Quoting myself from the thread of Hashimoto talking about FFX-3:
Lol, of course FFXVI is already in development. Hashimoto always says this before a game is revealed officially. In 2014 he and Kitase still said that there's no proper FFVII remake in work and that they aren't sure if they could even make it, when we now know from interviews with Nomura and Kitase that it was already in pre-development during that time:

Kitase:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake

Hashimoto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdNaV9lBCA

SE never not had several FFs in pre-production simultaneously. They have to think ahead, especially with the long development times and scope of modern AAA games.

Btw, BD5 has been hiring for a new big game recently according to Kagari and others. See this post:
can't be completely certain about the authenticity of the leaks

but one absolutely verified and official truth is Business Devision 5 is mass recruiting for a new project started back in March (ALL major dev positions), for people who are not aware of.

It seems the process is still on-going as the webpage is still online: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/

It is highly possible it's not for FFXIV 4.0, as the website also has positions designated for FFXIV.

I also heard Ito is with BD5 now, and that FF12 Zodiac Age is handled by BD5: I need source for these.

They could be the team at SE working on FFXVI and apparently they're ramping up development. KH3 is done by its own team that has nothing to do with mainline FFs and FFVIIR is heavily outsourced to CyberConnect2 (devs of the .hack and Naruto games).

What is XV Versus?
Check the top of this post.

pLow7

What? Releasing "Versus" would be like shitting all over Tabatas head. Why would SE do that ? If they gave Tabata the wheel to finish this big ass project then why redo all that, with Nomura ? They would admit they did a mistake giving it to Tabata.

If XV-2 is real, Square Enix needs to copy X-2 and make Noctis and Co a real boy band. They could include a dressphere...make Ardyn create a rival boy band from Niflheim...oh man, I better stop coming up with ideas cause this game would never happen unfortunately. I'm hyping myself up just thinking about this.

*I would totally buy a XV-2 or XV-Versus in a heartbeat.*

Ydelnae

If S-E is allowing BD2 to develop a new IP after finishing up with XV and they outsourced FFVIIR, I believe that it's done because they also had in mind the next mainline entry when taking decisions about other projects.

It's safe to assume that main development on KH3 and DQXI will finish this year even if these games don't release before the year ends. Other than VIIR and support on already released games, S-E doesn't have anything else in the horizon past mid-2018. I think that if XVI hasn't been in active development for months now, its likely to have started sometime this year.

HeelPower

What do I want the most out of a potential XV Versus ?

The gameplay!

I think the gameplay here is a complete,laughable mess.

I am amazed how its not getting bashed enough.The more I play this game,the more I realize that the worst element by far is absolutely the combat.

Warping is such a cool ability but its completely on this mess of a combat system.

Why do I think Nomura can pull of a better combat system ?

Every single KH game had better combat,with KH2 being stratospherically better.

What do I want the most out of a potential XV Versus ?

The gameplay!

I think the gameplay here is a complete,laughable mess.

I am amazed how its not getting bashed enough.The more I play this game,the more I realize that the worst element by far is absolutely the combat.

Warping is such a cool ability but its completely on this mess of a combat system.

Why do I think Nomura can pull of a better combat system ?

Every single KH game had better combat,with KH2 being stratospherically better.

You can always wait for KHIII or VIIR for your Nomura combat fix. Hell, 0.2 is just one month away!

HeelPower

You can always wait for KHIII or VIIR for your Nomura combat fix. Hell, 0.2 is just one month away!

Good point.

I honestly dont want anything to do with Versus anymore.

I think I just want a more realistic/mature game with KH combat.

XV was alright all things considered & there is no need to touch Versus anymore.

It would be difficult to communicate or market this thing & it would be a retread of old ideas.

No.More.FNC stuff.

Go_Ly_Dow

With the shear volume of unused Versus/XV Nomura era CGI, all assets created along with a bucketload of unfinished assets, I could see this happening. It's S-E afterall.

Could be an effective way to cash in on all the groundwork without doing direct sequels.

Jonnax

It's been 10 years of Noctis and co. Plz end it.

XIII, IX, X and XI came out one every year consecuvitely.
They were all in different worlds with different characters.

Final Fantasy has lost a lost a relevence. If they do another XIII-2 and Lighting returns. Then they've well and truly fucked up.

Bring on 16.

HeelPower

People say FFXIII tarnished the series,but I dont think thats quite true.

Its actually the FFXIII sequelitis that really hurt the series.

They would do well to make XV just one game.

Only FF7R can afford to have more than one game.

Top Bottom