• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Taipei Game Show 2015

duckroll

It's interesting how localized the publicity for FFXV has been when it applies so far. When Hashimoto went to Malaysia to promote it, he brought along Wan Hazmer, who is a Malaysian working in S-E as a lead designer on the game. Now when Tabata is promoting the game in Taiwan, they announced that the Taiwanese developer XPEC is collaborating with Square Enix to support the development of the project. It's pretty smart.

It's interesting how localized the publicity for FFXV has been when it applies so far. When Hashimoto went to Malaysia to promote it, he brought along Wan Hazmer, who is a Malaysian working in S-E as a lead designer on the game. Now when Tabata is promoting the game in Taiwan, they announced that the Taiwanese developer XPEC is collaborating with Square Enix to support the development of the project. It's pretty smart.
And in Malaysia they were also recruiting people, saying they wanted more foreigners in Square.

It makes me think that the entirety of SE's marketing budget is on FFXV =X

wmlk

I'm wondering if it's outsourcing or proper distribution of the game. Have they specified? I bring this up because Tabata mentioned the idea of a worldwide release not too long ago.

I think it's development since they're mentioning XPEC in the video for something that's WIP.

Reveirg

Unless I'm wrong, the next ATR on February 4 will be live pretty much at the exact same time as Persona 5's reveal. Not cool!! :O

LeftImmediateButterfly.gif

can i hug someone

Really shows, to me at least, they are really serious about a simultaneous world release. I think we actually might get one.

Seems like SE wants this game to appeal to every demographic it's indeed pretty smart on their part. This game could be the start of something good for SE. Also let's say assume Type-0 becomes successful is it fair to say that this spin off final fantasy takes the place of what versus was meant to be ?

duckroll

I'm wondering if it's outsourcing or proper distribution of the game. Have they specified?

I think it's development since they're mentioning XPEC in the video for something that's WIP.

It's development outsourcing, not distribution. Of course they won't call it outsourcing in this case, since they're making the local developer look good, so it's called a collaboration. The snow scene in the train from the Just Festa was made entirely in Taiwan, that's why they showed the complete version of the scene here.

DJIzana

Unless I'm wrong, the next ATR on February 4 will be live pretty much at the exact same time as Persona 5's reveal. Not cool!! :O

Apparently the February 4th ATR will be a repeat of what we saw, no?

Hopefully that's not the case. Hopefully there will be a few new pieces here and there.

wmlk

It's development outsourcing, not distribution. Of course they won't call it outsourcing in this case, since they're making the local developer look good, so it's called a collaboration. The snow scene in the train from the Just Festa was made entirely in Taiwan, that's why they showed the complete version of the scene here.

Well yeah, that's pretty good to hear then. We all want a unified vision so hopefully everything looks homogenous at the end. I always get queasy at outsourcing.

Ceravic

Beautiful. Between this game and Xenoblade Chronicles X this is going to be an amazing couple years for JRPG fans.

Falk

that puzzling face

Don't forget us goons up here in Boston.

wmlk

That scene is a metaphor for Yosuke Matsuda's cold heart freezing Tetsuya Nomura so he's too incapacitated to work on FFXV.

duckroll

Well yeah, that's pretty good to hear then. We all want a unified vision so hopefully everything looks homogenous at the end. I always get queasy at outsourcing.

It doesn't matter. Every AAA game uses outsourcing. A single physical studio simply cannot handle all the manpower demands. It's not realistic. When it comes to asset creation, cutscene production, design assistance, etc, pretty much every AAA game uses at least half a dozen studios. It's just that no one talks about it much or cares about it because it doesn't matter that much.

The reason why it's brought up here in particular is because they want to showcase a local developer, and the partnership makes for good PR and adds a localized touch.

Mory Dunz

I dunno, I don't really like seeing unfinished maps of games. Like that Mirrors edge and Battlefront stuff from E3.

I'd rather just see what they have I guess. Heck, the Zelda "demo" kind of applies too.

wmlk

It doesn't matter. Every AAA game uses outsourcing. A single physical studio simply cannot handle all the manpower demands. It's not realistic. When it comes to asset creation, cutscene production, design assistance, etc, pretty much every AAA game uses at least half a dozen studios. It's just that no one talks about it much or cares about it because it doesn't matter that much.

The reason why it's brought up here in particular is because they want to showcase a local developer, and the partnership makes for good PR and adds a localized touch.

Yeah, I know. It's just that knowing a specific section or scene in a game was done by an outside developer just makes me more aware of that part in the game. It's just a thing I look out for for different development teams.

I dunno, I don't really like seeing unfinished maps of games. Like that Mirrors edge and Battlefront stuff from E3.

I'd rather just see what they have I guess. Heck, the Zelda "demo" kind of applies too.

This is what they have.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The scene is quite obviously everyone going to another destination on the train, but they suddenly come across shiva's territory and the train comes under her influence.

If the summons are as big as they say, the AOE of the eidelons should represent that. Miles upon miles of screen filling attacks and a giant ice dome the train inadvertently stumbles upon would be part of that, where then its Noct and pals job to capture shiva and use her

KoopaTheCasual

That scene is a metaphor for Yosuke Matsuda's cold heart freezing Tetsuya Nomura so he's too incapacitated to work on FFXV.
Nomura already made Sakaguchi a boss fight in one of his games. It'd be hilarious if the primary antagonist had a striking resemblance to Matsuda.
Uncharted Fantasy XV
They did say they wanted to incorporate a lot more of in-game set pieces, so it's not just "cutscene, cutscene, cutscene." I'm super down for that change.

Speaking of summons, I wonder if a Shiva attack has something to do with the precarious situation our Prince finds himself in on that train.

Shiva could qualify as the smaller summons ( if there's such a thing in the game ) you know what would be cool if smaller summons granted noctis and the party elements type damage to swords and the parties weapons.

E3 is actually getting less and less important over the years. Lots of smaller events has sprung up like TpGS with surprise announcement, E3 may just have the localized version of these announcements .

Yeah that's true but I expect a story trailer with maybe a release date/window this upcoming e3.

E3 is actually getting less and less important over the years. Lots of smaller events has sprung up like TpGS with surprise announcement, E3 may just have the localized version of these announcements .

I don't know, its still a huge deal. E3 2013 was massive. It is still a big deal, there is just alot more supplemental things for everything E3 doesn't cover.

You know I wonder what Nomura thinks about this situation, a time when FFXV is finally being shown and people are really excited. Makes me wonder if this game becomes successful and Tabata becomes a top director in the genre how would that make him feel? Shit I would be bitter and each passing day Nomura's contributions are slowly being forgotten quite sad.. I wish there's a indepth story as to what happen that led to the change , I would pay money for that.

Nevertheless I'm hyped for this game and Tabata is doing a great job.

Reveirg

February 5 20:00 JST so that is 5 or 6 am EST if I did my math right.

Yeah, persona's stream schedule for February 5 goes:

18:?? – Persona Stalker Club: Nippon Budokan Special – Join hosts Tomomi Isomura and Mafia Kajita as they host a special episode of the Persona-themed variety show live online. In addition to the usual segments, viewers can expect to find the latest Persona news coming out of this episode.
21:?? – ????? (Unannounced, though it’s worth noting the Japanese description features five red question marks)

Hastati

Now I'm really hoping they let us control/possess animals and whatnot in this game, could add a lot to world exploration and just plain fun. Might be an interesting way to chase after collectibles, or just mess with npcs. Actually, the possession mechanic is underused in games...

duckroll

I think a large reason why E3 will seem less important is because it decided to position itself entirely as an industry event. Which means it is more for networking and media, as opposed to direct interaction with fans and the public. The event is still very important in terms of what they want to show off to the press, so the press conferences, the interviews, and the closed doors demo sessions will still result in great coverage on games.

But in a world where everything is so interconnected and social media being a huge driver of word of mouth, companies are also learning that it pays to directly engage with fans and public audiences. So localized events where they can directly market stuff to the public actually having worthwhile news and new stuff shown is more and more common. Previously big publishers ignored such events entirely because they didn't see a need to put effort into supporting them.

You know I wonder what Nomura thinks about this situation, a time when FFXV is finally being shown and people are really excited. Makes me wonder if this game becomes successful and Tabata becomes a top director in the genre how would that make him feel? Shit I would be bitter and each passing day Nomura's contributions are slowly being forgotten quite sad.. I wish there's a indepth story as to what happen that led to the change , I would pay money for that.

They should do a Metal Gear Risng type thing, Tabata trash talks Nomura the entire time and goes on about Square bringing him on to save the day ala Platinum Games.

Nevertheless I'm hyped for this game and Tabata is doing a great job.

Well Nomura has said that he likes to be more of the conceptual guy anyways and not really the director with all the technical things. He is a good director it just seems that he doesn't like to and has even said so himself that he likes coming up with the ideas for the stories and the characters and the world and so on. I don't think everyone is going to forget about his contributions.

I am at least going to look at it as a great concept and characters/world created by Nomura and brought to life and executed by Tabata. I just hope it truly is executed.

They should do a Metal Gear Risng type thing, Tabata trash talks Nomura the entire time and goes on about Square bringing him on to save the day ala Platinum Games.

The whole rising fiasco was the lowest point for Kojima and Kojima productions. He's constantly trying to hand over metal gear but eventually has to step in and help out the team smh the original vision of rising was so awesome though.

Tabata trash talking nomura would be WWE wonderful lol but they still work under the same company so I guess they have to keep it PC. I hope Nomura stays after KH3 despite some thinking he might leave after the versus director change.

Top Bottom