• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

duckroll

I've updated the OP with the information provided. It's definitely very helpful for the discussion.

It's probably a bit too soon to speculate on resolution and framerate for the final game though. The game is probably more than a year away, and if they're still busy locking down features and trying to finish the game itself, they're probably not even thinking about optimization at this point.

But FF had that since forever already. It was XIII that really stepped away from all things FF tradition.

It's about high time the series is steered back into the FF tradition. I can accept some of those traditional features being lost(FFX-FFXIII) to technological blunders(not being able to pull it off because of the way limitations), but if this means all that can be reinstated, by all means, it's time to do it!

Love the notes regarding the gameplay as posted by Verendus! Hope most of that remains relevant to the final version of the game, especially the character switching(and each characters having unique abilities).

Mortemis

Banned
I'm very interested in knowing what towns and cities in the game will really be like. Also in terms of how lively and interactive they feel, especially if there's going to be a day/night cycle and they're aiming for a "realistic" feeling world. Aiming for something like FFXII's cities but in a modern context would be a great way to do it, but I'm not really sure if they're capable of that sort of thing anymore. I just hope it's not some lifeless backdrop which serves as a "town" area but has very little interactivity and lots of fenced off areas. That would be disappointing.

I really hope this game can have lively towns. It would be great, huge areas just aren't as attractive when they are void of NPCs.

This is like Beetlejuice and if it's said 3 times it will happen.

Directed by Motomu Toriyama. Starring Lighting

Three times eh?

Directed by Motomu Toriyama. Starring Lightning!

This was posted in the other thread, a full translation of the demo: http://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantas...nslation_for_ffxv_segment_during_ff_type0_hd/

B: I see. There's a lot more that we want to know. Is the demo going to be on a disc?
A: We will have a download code for the demo with every copy of FF Type-0 HD so the demo is going to be available around the same time that it is being sold.

So this confirms that the demo will really be avaliable in the same day as type-0, right?

TheTux

B: I see. There's a lot more that we want to know. Is the demo going to be on a disc?
A: We will have a download code for the demo with every copy of FF Type-0 HD so the demo is going to be available around the same time that it is being sold.

So this confirms that the demo will really be avaliable in the same day as type-0, right?

No, it doesn't confirm anything. They would like to release the demo the same day as Type-0 but it may not be 100% ready so they could release it a little later.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
No, it doesn't confirm anything. They would like to release the demo the same day as Type-0 but it may not be 100% ready so they could release it a little later.

Yeah, they definitely didn't want to delay Type-0 from the looks of it. Please understand.

Zoe

Keep in mind that the rumored date was March 20th. That's a few days after Type-0's US release on the 17th, but it makes sense to me because Type-0 in Japan is actually getting released on the 19th.

HeelPower

If the demo doesn't get released exactly the day of then I am sure the delay will be tolerable.

Maybe we'll get it early or mid april.Not too bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Keep in mind that the rumored date was March 20th. That's a few days after Type-0's US release on the 17th, but it makes sense to me because Type-0 in Japan is actually getting released on the 19th.

You're reading too much into it. March 20th is the EU ship date for Type-0 and where the day-of misunderstanding (blog post on EU) came from.

It's either ready by then, or it's not. But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Ishida

Banned
One guy pointed out that Noctis' hair glows orange/red when the Behemot bursts into flames due to the Fire spell, but I didn't see anyone pointing out that his hair glows bright blue when he is actually casting the spell.

RQQEz6A.png

Watch_Dogs
Battlefield 4
Killzone Shadowfall MP
Wolfenstein: The New Order (dynamic res, can drop to around 1760x1080)

Maybe more. AC Unity is rumoured to be sub-1080p

shadowfall mp isn't a full game, and sp is 1080p.

besides,

http://www.killzone.com/en_GB/blog/news/2014-03-06_regarding-killzone-shadow-fall-and-1080p.html
We keep track of three images of “history pixels” sized 960x1080

http://m.inquirer.nqlnginx.incbase....-morpheus-virtual-reality-headset-for-the-ps4

. Announced at the Games Developer Conference (GDC) in San Francisco on Tuesday, the Project Morpheus system offers a 5in LCD panel with 1920x1080 resolution that yields 960x1080 pixels per eye

boom.

sappyday

After reading Verendus' notes I'm opening up to the idea of the combat being automatic. Would I love to have it more like Kingdom Hearts? Yes. But this may not be so bad. Still I have to try it to completely fall for it. Also the world map being open from the beginning? Damn, I would of preferred the old school style of map where it opens up as you went along in the story.

Sorry Kagari, I honestly don't know this. It'd have to be though, I would have thought. I don't think we've had a game yet on PS4 that isn't 1080p, and I see no reason why they couldn't achieve it.

Do you know if either the preview footage or the trailer footage was on PS4? I think the trailer must have been at least...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Don't know if this was mentioned before, but where there be a choice to change cloths/haircuts?
Costume changing has been a big thing in FF recently, very curious about hairstyles though. Would love to give everyone a normal hairstyle, not likely though. (._. )

silva1991

One guy pointed out that Noctis' hair glows orange/red when the Behemot bursts into flames due to the Fire spell, but I didn't see anyone pointing out that his hair glows bright blue when he is actually casting the spell.

RQQEz6A.png
EDIT: probably his hands are glowing not his hair?

Ishida

Banned
I thought that was his hand charging up the spell, I was watching that at a lower quality though, nice find.

It's amazing how much of this still falls in line with what Nomura said many, MANY years back. I remember him saying that Noctis' hair and eyes would change color depending on something (Magic? Mood?). That was back around 2007 or 2008 I believe (Back when the characters' names hadnt' been revealed yet).

So, from Nomura's information back in the old age, we got:

1) Game will feature big, open maps (Confirmed, and we are actually seeing them now).

2) Chocobos will be there, and we will ride them (Confirmed by Tabata during the conference).

3) There will be a car we can drive through the overworld (Confirmed, we are seeing it now).

4) There will be controllable airships. "We have an airship flying over the overworld now", Nomura said. (Not yet confirmed, we haven't seen anything).

5) Noctis will carry a cell phone around to take pictures/screenshots of the scenery. (We haven't seen it yet. Maybe it was scrapped due to the new consoles having a built-in screenshot feature? A photo mode would be very nice).

6) Moogles will appear, and their designs will be similar to the ones in Type-0, very Kingdom Hearts-like. (We haven't seen them yet).

7) Something important about Noctis wearing a ring? (We haven't heard about that since then).

8) Nomura says more vehicles will be available. A person interviewing him asks for a motorcycle. Nomura laughs and says "maybe". (We haven't seen a bike yet).

9) The overall plot will be very simple, and the game instead will focus on friendship and bonds instead of the "grand scheme of things". (Seems like it so far).

Anything else I'm missing?

EDIT: probably his hands are glowing not his hair?

No, it's definitely the hair. Watch the video in slow motion, there are at least 4 frames of his hair glowing in different intensities. After the Behemot burst into flames, his hair glows bright orange for a second.

After reading Verendus' notes I'm opening up to the idea of the combat being automatic. Would I love to have it more like Kingdom Hearts? Yes. But this may not be so bad. Still I have to try it to completely fall for it. Also the world map being open from the beginning? Damn, I would of preferred the old school style of map where it opens up as you went along in the story.

The game is shaping up pretty well ! Next stop jump festa in dec

sappyday

It's amazing how much of this still falls in line with what Nomura said many, MANY years back. I remember him saying that Noctis' hair and eyes would change color depending on something (Magic? Mood?). That was back around 2007 or 2008 I believe (Back when the characters' names hadnt' been revealed yet).

So, from Nomura's information back in the old age, we got:

1) Game will feature big, open maps (Confirmed, and we are actually seeing them now).

2) Chocobos will be there, and we will ride them (Confirmed by Tabata during the conference).

3) There will be a car we can drive through the overworld (Confirmed, we are seeing it now).

4) There will be controllable airships. "We have an airship flying over the overworld now", Nomura said. (Not yet confirmed, we haven't seen anything).

5) Noctis will carry a cell phone around to take pictures/screenshots of the scenery. (We haven't seen it yet. Maybe it was scrapped due to the new consoles having a built-in screenshot feature? A photo mode would be very nice).

6) Moogles will appear, and their designs will be similar to the ones in Type-0, very Kingdom Hearts-like. (We haven't seen them yet).

7) Something important about Noctis wearing a ring? (We haven't heard about that since then).

8) Nomura says more vehicles will be available. A person interviewing him asks for a motorcycle. Nomura laughs and says "maybe". (We haven't seen a bike yet).

9) The overall plot will be very simple, and the game instead will focus on friendship and bonds instead of the "grand scheme of things". (Seems like it so far).

Anything else I'm missing?

No, it's definitely the hair. Watch the video in slow motion, there are at least 4 frames of his hair glowing in different intensities. After the Behemot burst into flames, his hair glows bright orange for a second.

This is what I've realized too. Plus some other stuff:

1) You can scale buildings and have vertical battles. We've seen some of it in the e3 trailer with the vertical battles but we can still scale buildings it seems thanks to the warp.

2) The clouds will be calculated and so there will be a weather system and a day night cycle. Confirmed.

I wonder if Nomura approved of this battle system (or maybe even thought of it) before he left.

CentroXer

Banned
Oh, and I also think you shouldn't really use Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs as examples, haven't played them but I heard that they had tons of bugs

the reason bf4 isnt 1080p is because of 60 fps and 64player multiplayer matches with tons of vehicles. It is excused.

Yeah ideally this game needs to run at 1080p/30fps(CONSTANT).

If it runs like shit, especially in an action game it's going to suck.

I'm not too optimistic about 1080p though, that's my main concern with the game. I hope they can pull it off.

TnK

Costume changing has been a big thing in FF recently, very curious about hairstyles though. Would love to give everyone a normal hairstyle, not likely though. (._. )
Costume change is currently in the games? That's really good to hear.
I doubt you can change these elaborate hairstyles..plus why would you want to ? :p

Its beautiful.
Never liked noctis's hair from the very first reveal. I think it clashes with the game's tone tbh. Something closer to FF8 would have been better in general. Everyone has really spiky hair in this game, minus gladiolus, lol.

This game is currently giving out some serious FF8 vibes too. I think that the current Stella looks similar to Rinoa. Especially in the last demo trailer.

I know it is a design choice and all, but I think it would be nice if they added this little feature in the game.

I hope so. I hope at some point we can change back into some of the original designs.
OG clothes would be nice to go back to.

If the demo doesn't get released exactly the day of then I am sure the delay will be tolerable.

Maybe we'll get it early or mid april.Not too bad.
Am I the only person who thinks the demo won't be delayed or if it is it would only be by a week or so? For some reason I'm not doubting them when they say they're aiming for Type-0's release, even if I really should be.

MrMatt555

Do you guys think we will see FFXV released in 2015? I mean, it may sound crazy to some, but Zone of the Enders released in march with a demo for metal gear solid 2 and that game released on Nov. 12 that same year.

Slowdive

Banned
Do you guys think we will see FFXV released in 2015? I mean, it may sound crazy to some, but Zone of the Enders released in march with a demo for metal gear solid 2 and that game released on Nov. 12 that same year.

I can see it being released in Japan, yeah. The Final Fantasy XIII demo came out 8 months before release too.

- weapon change, item, magic and linkform buttons that were present in last years e3 trailer

hjnvJAm.gif

Yeah, I hope we can still switch swords on the fly for combos like that (or atleast set up combos in advance might be how they achieve that), hopefully them still having the swords materialize during attacks means this is still in.

I'm hopeful since while the commands don't show it, he does still switch between several weapons in this:
igbStDv4WJCty.gif

- if we can still do this

1371012296-general-attack-command.gif

Since there was that shot of Noctis hanging off of a building using his sword I hope so.

Yeah, I hope we can still switch swords on the fly for combos like that (or atleast set up combos in advance might be how they achieve that), hopefully them still having the swords materialize during attacks means this is still in.

I'm hopeful since while the commands don't show it, he does still switch between several weapons in this

Since there was that shot of Noctis hanging off of a building using his sword I hope so.
Weapon switching is in. Read op :)

I should be able to pull out a camera in game and see Prompto strike a pose. Would add to the whole road trip atmosphere.

wmlk

I think this game will allow for twitch-based attacks in fast battles like in Kingdom Hearts just by the press of a button. I really think that the new battle system will allow the best of both worlds (slow & heavy, and fast).

We knew FF13 was coming to Japan in 2009 by August 2008: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1217146_1124.html?ref=rss
I feel extremely old looking back at this.

How did you feel back about that game and how do you feel now about XV? It always seemed like you were more interested in Versus/XV.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Top Bottom