• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

Squire

Banned
Well, it better be a town that is even better than a boss fight.

There's a certain sense of scale and hustle n' bustle that some FFs have (IX and XII) that's only really conveyed through the art direction.

With these models and this animation, Square can make those senses palpable in FFXV. If it would be as lively as these fights are, even a very small town or an inn with patrons would be cooler than a boss fight to me, yes.

One of the things I play FF for is the quiet moments. The brief respites.

ec0ec0

I thought it was holding the attack button while you switch weapons when performing combos?

L1 to implement switch as beginning of combo
Circle press to attack
L1 to implement switch
Circle press to attack
L1 to implement switch
Circle press to attack and then hold for chain
L1 to implement final switch
Circle press for attack

Can you see the pause in the gif after the third switch after the first attack with it? That's where I'd press and hold for the remaining chain.

SougoXIII

Not really, you can button mash as many times as you want but there's still a buffer between the actions depending on how long the animations take.

If you're talking about controls, this allows more control for just one button. That one button to attack is very versatile. I understand liking pure, twitch-based gameplay but I don't think the 'control' is the issue here.

By control I meant that there will be a bigger disconnect between me holding down the attack button while Notics's doing fancy stuffs than me mashing the attack button while Notics's doing fancy stuffs. I'd feel my in-sync with my character if each of his actions correspond to each of my button presses. Holding it will just makes me feel off.

I take it that the demo surprise will be the release date.

BELIEVE.
Oh shit. I suppose it's possible they could know by now when it will release (or by the time the demo releases, but they promised something special so I think they'd need to know by now). That would fit though. I could see them doing that and it would be wondeful!

wmlk

By control I meant that there will be a bigger disconnect between me holding down the attack button while Notics's doing fancy stuffs than me mashing the attack button while Notics's doing fancy stuffs. I'd feel my in-sync with my character if each of his actions correspond to each of my button presses. Holding it will just makes me feel off.

I agree with that part. Button mashing during tense moments feels incredibly satisfying at times.

jett

D-Member

You should stop thinking about this game as an action title and more as an expanded version of FF12, probably.

Koozek

I would love to finally hear something about Robert Ferrari's involvement in the character design. Really interested how it came about.

Squire

Banned
You should stop thinking about this game as an action title and more as an expanded version of FF12, probably.

I definitely do not agree that you should think of what they themselves are calling an action-RPG more in the terms of FFXII, one of the most strategic games in the series.

I would love to finally hear something about Robert Ferrari's involvement in the character design. Really interested how it came about.

My guess is he took Nomura's work and anglicized the characters.

I definitely do not agree that you should think of what they themselves are calling an action-RPG more in the terms of FFXII, one of the most strategic games in the series.

My guess is he took Nomura's work and anglicized the characters.
Yeah, I don't think it's fair compare XII and XV, either.

ec0ec0

Tabata said during the demo:

"Back there, he performed an attack with Ignis' help. This is also a special part of the battle system. If you execute the command, nearby allies will quickly come to you."

that suggests that one of the (probably face) buttons will be for that.

jett

D-Member
But XII is no where near an action RPG though.

Supposedly, according to the current director, this game is no longer an action game. And if we're gonna have autoattack and autodefend buttons, then I won't be considering it an action game either.

Verendus

Banned
This is a valid complaint.

I think a simple workaround would be to have an option. Either have "Chain" as on or off. It's a little thing, but it would then allow button bashing, but also more continuous play for those who don't feel like pressing circle all the time. Easier to grind with "Chain" on though. I wonder how feasible that would be.

I'd wait for more information from SE anyway. My information is dated, and who knows what they've done since then, or will end up doing in the future. I want to say their demo will be most indicative of the final product, but then I remember that FFXIII thing someone pointed out...

wmlk

I think a simple workaround would be to have an option. Either have "Chain" as on or off. It's a little thing, but it would then allow button bashing, but also more continuous play for those who don't feel like pressing circle all the time. Easier to grind with "Chain" on though. I wonder how feasible that would be.

I'd wait for more information from SE anyway. My information is dated, and who knows what they've done since then, or will end up doing in the future. I want to say their demo will be most indicative of the final product, but then I remember that FFXIII thing someone pointed out...

I don't think SE would allow an option for such a core mechanic. Kinda disappointing.

HHTurtle

Neo Member
Someone on Reddit has a question.

[–]from alphadog3939 sent 18 minutes ago
I was following the neogaf thread on ffxv, and you popped in and thanked the person who linked to the reddit thread that had the translations.
Anyways, would you mind private messaging the member 'Verendus' ? He gave some details in that thread and he's apparently an insider. Would you mind asking him when the game is planning on releasing - at least what he's been hearing?
I would, but I don't have an account.

[–]to alphadog3939 sent 15 minutes ago
Verendus has been asked that question before and he doesn't know. He doesn't have any guesses either.

[–]from alphadog3939 sent 2 minutes ago
was he asked that recently though? if so, do you have a link?

SougoXIII

Supposedly, according to the current director, this game is no longer an action game. And if we're gonna have autoattack and autodefend buttons, then I won't be considering it an action game either.

That's not what I heard. He said that it will be less like KH combat but still very much an action game

Nerokis

He said it was no longer as KH-esque as it once was, apparently, but it is very much still an action game.

Tabata said:
Yes. Attacks are also performed by pressing the attack button. In which case, he will automatically attack for you. This is an Action RPG but it is really easy to execute various techniques.

Beaten!

wmlk

Someone on Reddit has a question.

[–]from alphadog3939 sent 18 minutes ago
I was following the neogaf thread on ffxv, and you popped in and thanked the person who linked to the reddit thread that had the translations.
Anyways, would you mind private messaging the member 'Verendus' ? He gave some details in that thread and he's apparently an insider. Would you mind asking him when the game is planning on releasing - at least what he's been hearing?
I would, but I don't have an account.

[–]to alphadog3939 sent 15 minutes ago
Verendus has been asked that question before and he doesn't know. He doesn't have any guesses either.

[–]from alphadog3939 sent 2 minutes ago
was he asked that recently though? if so, do you have a link?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131072627&postcount=148

SougoXIII

Yeah, I mean I'm not going to panic and declare everything's ruined. I'm sure the current system (if it's as we expected) will work well and feel natural after a couple of hours but it's never hurt to have more option and I don't think allowing button mashing should be that hard of a request considering the nature of the combat system.

Some time I just get the urge to shut my brain off and just mashing things to death in a game that's not Dysnasty Warriors :)

Verendus

Banned
Yeah, I mean I'm not going to panic and declare everything's ruined. I'm sure the current system (if it's as we expected) will work well and feel nature after a couple of hours but it's never hurt to have more option and I don't think allowing button mashing should be that hard of a request considering the nature of the combat system.

Some time I just get the urge to shut my brain off and just mashing things to death in a game that's not Dysnasty Warriors :)
I'm exactly the same. I basically forced my way through Kingdom Hearts. I probably only changed my style for the boss fights where I kept being killed. Mostly it was keep bashing attack, then spam magic, then attack.

The more I think about it, the option would be pretty great. Chain on or off. If the rest of the mechanics are the same, this would be the simple fix. You satisfy everyone. Animations can remain the same. It's just the control aspect of that one thing. Plus, lots of people grind in RPGs. Having that option would be brilliant for that. Easier to grind with Chain on. But you can play the rest of the game without it if you want. At the same time, those who want to take it easier, and not get too complex, can still keep it turned on.

If this is doable, it'd be brilliant.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm exactly the same. I basically forced my way through Kingdom Hearts. I probably only changed my style for the boss fights where I kept being killed. Mostly it was keep bashing attack, then spam magic, then attack.

The more I think about it, the option would be pretty great. Chain on or off. If the rest of the mechanics are the same, this would be the simple fix. You satisfy everyone. Animations can remain the same. It's just the control aspect of that one thing. Plus, lots of people grind in RPGs. Having that option would be brilliant for that. Easier to grind with Chain on. But you can play the rest of the game without it if you want. At the same time, those who want to take it easier, and not get too complex, can still keep it turned on.

That's exactly what I want.

Verendus

Banned
That's exactly what I want.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, they remove presses completely and you're left with holding attack and using L1 occasionally. Or they remove switch too, and you just hold attack, and switching is done for you.

But I don't think they're that insane.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hey Verendus, do you know if the resolution/framerate issues in this build are due to it being early or just running a devkit in the dev mode? I know dev mode kills performance in some cases and just want to get a feel for where they are in the engine development, goals, and progress.

SougoXIII

On the opposite end of the spectrum, they remove presses completely and you're left with holding attack and using L1 occasionally. Or they remove switch too, and you just hold attack, and switching is done for you.

I can see it now: 'The auto-combat button is made so the game will be more accessible to the casual market. Please be exited.'

I'd love to believe that there some shred of sanity left at Square but after letting Toriyama roam free for 3 games straight, I don't know what to believe anymore.

This thread should be saved, if we have the same complaints by the time we get to play the demo it would be positive feedback for SE reps. The best scenario is like you said to give us the option and everyone is happy.

ec0ec0

please, no.

I can see it now: 'The auto-combat button is made so the game will be more accessible to the casual market. Please be exited.'

I'd love to believe that there some shred of sanity left at Square but after letting Toriyama roam free for 3 games straight, I don't know what to believe anymore.

How about a control scheme for casuals and the hardcore ? everyone would be happy.

Verendus

Banned
Hey Verendus, do you know if the resolution/framerate issues in this build are due to it being early or just running a devkit in the dev mode? I know dev mode kills performance in some cases and just want to get a feel for where they are in the engine development, goals, and progress.
I don't know unfortunately.

Disappointed and lost a lot of hype the battle system isn't a evolution of KH and now it's something different. Still from looking at Verendus notes, the current system seems fine except for the lack of a jump button.

wmlk

Yeah sure, I agree, but they can definitely do some interesting things with the new mechanic though that would make an option impossible. I hope that there's something new and different about this.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
We haven't actually had good side characters in FF for a while..

I hope that means they are taking care of them now.

Supporting characters always add charm to the game and the story.

I want a good Cid. Cid Raines was baddd...I remember reading that they wasn't sure they wanted to name him Cid at first.

Skilletor

Why is everybody expecting the evolution of KH in this game and not in the next KH game?

I'll be glad if this doesn't play exactly like KH since, you know, that series is still a thing with a new game coming out.

Why is everybody expecting the evolution of KH in this game and not in the next KH game?

I'll be glad if this doesn't play like KH since, you know, that series is still a thing with a new game coming out.

Because it was advertised as such, only after tabata took control it got dismissed ( so it seems )

Top Bottom