• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

HeelPower

ehhh...this is an rpg. you know, where games give you skills to block then give your opponents skills to overpower your block. i wouldn't be too worried.

I hope so.

I mean if the blocking was simply damage reduction or limited by stamina(like Souls for instance) I would be less worried.

by total invincibility with no limits?? I don't know about that.

Verendus

Banned
not necessarily..The lucis "gamplay" could've been an older build.

The leviathan stuff was similar quality but likely running on a PC.Many labeled it as target footage.
They've been changing the battle system for a while now, and I believe this is likely still not final. That has more to do with whatever else rather than the the basics, which are probably staying the same now. I don't see that changing. The hold to attack and defend have been there for a little while at least.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I agree with you. The visuals have nothing to do with the 8 years of dev time. Although, very few games even from the west look this impressive. It really does look absolutely top tier.
Yea, for Japan it definitely looks good and is definitely one of the few japanese titles that seems to be taking advantage of the hardware. Thankfully.

not necessarily..The lucis "gamplay" could've been an older build.

The leviathan stuff was similar quality but likely running on a PC.Many labeled it as target footage.

The leviathan stuff was clearly using the gameplay models of the last year E3, with the difference we couldn't clearly see them as close as in the gameplay video.

The point being is that a lot of these assets were dropped.

Voror

I don't want anything like spheregrid or other systems in the series.

I want something new for the game but still super fancy.

Regular number increases won't cut it in FF :p

Ah, I get you.

Well, it'll likely be awhile before we know, but hopefully it's a fun system.

Huh...? I'm confused. From the translations that I read I assumed that "holding button to keep attacking" worked like in Lightning Returns or Type-0 (...or most FF games) and that's what it looks like in the demo. What would be wrong with that?

They're definitely getting closer btw, impressing stuff their current tech - characters look even better now than there. Will KH3 run on the same engine?

If we go by the current trailer, not even close.

If we go by the current tech demostration, maybe.

But I feel that this tech demo was running on PC.

And yes, KH3 will use Luminous.

Maybe I have the wrong assumption I wasn't attacking you or anything just in case, when I hear "hold button" what comes to my mind for example it's let's say Dante in dmc does the combo string for me automatically by holding it down it's doing the work for me instead of allowing me to improvise instead of letting go of the button to do something else. It's not that I want to mash but idk I want to be creative and do some cancels of my own.

wait, you can store combos and execute them? kinda like binding commands to a single key?

i don't think that's how it works. at least in fftype0, i think it just meant rapid-fire turbo the attack button.

and even if you cab store combos, that stills would be suicidal given that not all enemies and circumstances are the same.

i guess it is kinda a misinterpretation.

auto attack doesn't mean ai-controlled.

had i known fftype0 had auto attack (or rapid fire turbo attack) then i probably wouldn't have stopped playing it. it really was too button-mashy.

raven777

They've been changing the battle system for a while now, and I believe this is likely still not final. That has more to do with whatever else rather than the the basics, which are probably staying the same now. I don't see that changing. The hold to attack and defend have been there for a little while at least.
How long?

I am wondering if this is something that they decided after Nomura left and Tabata took over as sole director.

I hope so.

I mean if the blocking was simply damage reduction or limited by stamina(like Souls for instance) I would be less worried.

by total invincibility with no limits?? I don't know about that.

isn't there a roll and an evade?

i think the evade lets you counter attack but you can only evade a single enemy at any given time, and roll doesn't let you counter but lets you get out of the way of multiple attacks.

and i think you can't do evade on big monsters either.

Verendus

Banned
How long?

I am wondering if this is something that they decided after Nomura left and Tabata took over as sole director.
I wouldn't know specifically, but at least a little while.

I don't understand why it's only been said as hold to attack or defend. Either there is a change again, or they've yet to clarify further. You can press attack to attack, and you hold to string together the attacks. You can't button mash. They also haven't mentioned anything about the weapon switch mechanic, which is also from a while ago, and helped give the attacks variety.

I have some notes about it from a while back, and most of it seems similar to what's here. They've done a terrible job of explaining things though.

I also don't understand where people know of hold to attack or defend from. The stream in OP has no translation, and the summary in the OP doesn't mention this. Where has this been mentioned?

HeelPower

so changing the battle system won't hamper the game further I hope ?

Now that Nomura is officially off and Tabata is fully in charge the game should have its backbone ready at this point.

I guess demo feedback will play an important role ,but I hope the change we saw this year will be the last drastic one.

Kssio_Aug

Didn't they say that the DEMO will even look better than this?

They said, if we can really trust on that interview and translation:
- The demo is 70-80% complete. March's version will be better

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130887002&postcount=67

Also, on the trailer it says: "The following is a sneak peek of a work in progress. We aim to deliver even more with the final product."

However, I believe they were stating about the trailer. Not the Tech-Demo. By both videos the Tech-Demo is certainly very faithul compared to the trailer of the actual demo, but I guess that there may be more image treatement such as AA or something.

raven777

I don't understand why it's only been said as hold to attack or defend. Either there is a change again, or they've yet to clarify further. You can press attack to attack, and you hold to string together the attacks. You can't button mash. They also haven't mentioned anything about the weapon switch mechanic, which is also from a while ago, and helped give the attacks variety.

I have some notes about it from a while back, and most of it seems similar to what's here. They've done a terrible job of explaining things though.

I also don't understand where people know of hold to attack or defend from. The stream in OP has no translation, and the summary in the OP doesn't mention this. Where has this been mentioned?
Tabata mentions it in the gameplay demo.

HeelPower

isn't there a roll and an evade?

i think the evade lets you counter attack but you can only evade a single enemy at any given time, and roll doesn't let you counter but lets you get out of the way of multiple attacks.

and i think you can't do evade on big monsters either.

I do not know tbh.

so you know more about the battle system ? Is it solid from what you've seen ? i.e do people have a reason to freak out ?

Verendus

Banned
Tabata mentions it in the gameplay demo.
Can I have link to a translation or what he says exactly? OP's summary doesn't mention this.

Edit:

so you know more about the battle system ? Is it solid from what you've seen ? i.e do people have a reason to freak out ?
I don't think people have reason to freak out. I'm going to load up the notes and just dump them here in a moment. Please don't take as gospel as this was a barebones thing. You'll get a feel of things from it though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit if the final game comes out looking like that.

TnK

The more I learn about this game, the less interested I become as I think it may not bet the amazing FF game it could have been.
That's what we know so far. Tabata says you hold down a button to evade, and you hold down a button to attack. The demonstration they showed in this video is clearly very automated in terms of actions. But that's just the basic mechanic, there are probably more details they'll take about when they're ready to show off more stuff, or the demo is closer to release.

It has "hold down attack button to keep attacking." Until we learn otherwise, it's premature to believe that means you can't tap the button to do a timed attack.
I don't really like how the system runs from both of your comments. I will wait to see how the system is, but I was really hoping for a system like KH to be implemented, especially KH2FM since the original team is working on it.
It does, so did Type-0. And guess what, nobody cares about it. Because it's completely optional, and we usually just press the attack button manually.
If it is like you say it is, can you stop mid, let's say, attack 3, then reset the attack pattern?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Listening to the commentary, and the guy is saying that at E3, the gameplay demo was running on a development environment called "Ebony," but they have now merged that with Luminous to create the current engine.

If it is like you say it is, can you stop mid, let's say, attack 3, then reset the attack pattern?

i didn't know type0 had auto attack, so i was button mashing attack. but from that, your attack resets to the "first attack" if you can't keep the combo going.

then again i think the goal was to get to "attack 3". i don't know of the final attack of the combo did more damage, though. never really noticed it.

besides, there was magic so there's that.

yeah.

but I mean its quite similar to what we have now.So maybe it was more important during production than we think it was.

Its safe to say this isn't pointless footage like that of FFXIII's back then.

How we do know? The plaza is more or less the same as last year E3. All the interiors and all the action that takes place in the sky with the big setpieces is a big question mark right now.

Kssio_Aug

Holy shit if the final game comes out looking like that.

Its safer to believe on the trailer of the actual demo, not on the tech-demo itself. What is still not bad at all, and very similar imo! Also, they said they intend to make the final version of the demo to look at about 20~30% better, so...

Squire

Banned
Huh...? I'm confused. From the translations that I read I assumed that "holding button to keep attacking" worked like in Lightning Returns or Type-0 (...or most FF games) and that's what it looks like in the demo. What would be wrong with that?

People are worried attacks will only be automated.

It's going to play like Type-0 on the most basic level. They're calling it an action-RPG, they're talking about combos between party members. I'm not worried about that, myself.

I don't think people have reason to freak out. I'm going to load up the notes and just dump them here in a moment. Please don't take as gospel as this was a barebones thing. You'll get a feel of things from it though.
Thanks like always V
The more I learn about this game, the less interested I become as I think it may not bet the amazing FF game it could have been.

I don't really like what I am hearing from both of you.I will wait to see how the system is, but I was really hoping for a system like KH to be implemented, especially KH2FM since the original team is working on it.

This.

Kssio_Aug

I'm buying 4 million copies myself.

I will get Type-0 digital for the Xbox One. And if I enjoy the demo IQ and peformance on the console I may get both Xbox One and PS4 versions of the full game. I have never done this before, but this game is by far the one I'm excpecting the most.

Its incredible because I bought my PS3 back in 2006 just for this game! After 8 years my hype was destroyed, but now, after this last trailer and tech demo and the last infos, its completely renewed!

ZenTzen

thanks for that, and if you dont mind me asking, do you know anything about summons, magic, and party member control

Kssio_Aug

I don't really like what I am hearing from both of you.I will wait to see how the system is, but I was really hoping for a system like KH to be implemented, especially KH2FM since the original team is working on it.

Thanks like always V

This.

I understand both concerns, but I would not worry about the combat mechanics. Its clear now that they are, for long, improving every single aspect of this game, and in terms of combat Final Fantasy mainline never disappointed. So I guess they're studying a really good combat mechainc for this one aswell. It may not be just like Kingdom Hearts (that was their first plan) but meybe it will be even better and unique. Thats my opinion though... based on the franchise history the combat mechanics are not worring me (specially because they look pretty good on the videos).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I will get Type-0 digital for the Xbox One. And if I enjoy the demo IQ and peformance on the console I may get both Xbox One and PS4 versions of the full game. I have never done this before, but this game is by far the one I'm excpecting the most.

Its incredible because I bought my PS3 back in 2006 just for this game! After 8 years my hype was destroyed, but now, after this last trailer and tech demo and the last infos, its completely renewed!

Given what we have seen so far I wouldn't be shocked if the XB1 version runs at 720p. The TGS trailer isn't full HD either, mind.

TnK

i didn't know type0 had auto attack, so i was button mashing attack. but from that, your attack resets to the "first attack" if you can't keep the combo going.

then again i think the goal was to get to "attack 3". i don't know of the final attack of the combo did more damage, though. never really noticed it.

besides, there was magic so there's that.
If you have some control like you mentioned then that would be good. Closer to what I was expecting.
Thanks like always V

This.
Your quote made me realize that I worded something in a very dumb way that I went ahead and fixed, lol.

I understand both concerns, but I would not worry about the combat mechanics. Its clear now that they are, for long, improving every single aspect of this game, and in terms of combat Final Fantasy mainline never disappointed. So I guess they're studying a really good combat mechainc for this one aswell. It may not be just like Kingdom Hearts (that was their first plan) but meybe it will be even better and unique. Thats my opinion though... based on the franchise history the combat mechanics are not worring me (specially because they look pretty good on the videos).
You know, I am not so sure this is the case. I think that the game is being rushed in its current state. This is all a guess though.

Verendus

Banned
Again, please don't take as gospel. These are the some of the notes.

Battle System Notes said:
- Attack, defend, switch weapon mechanic, magic and teleportation. Two face buttons, three shoulder buttons. Access to one spell, Fire.

- No real point of comparison with the battle system. No jump button in demo. No idea if available in final. Press attack to hit, and hold to string attacks. Defence operates the same. Hold defence to take defensive stance and evade enemies. Can also hold defence and move using the analog. Potential for timed defences in more cluttered battles maybe. Movement entirely in player's control.

- Switching mechanic can be implemented before an attack or in the midst of an attack. Start heavy and strong, go light and fast etc.

- Teleportation works by holding the trigger to target, then releasing which implements the ability. Able to string teleportation and attacks together, with switching mechanic also. Can target enemies or certain points/objects for teleportation. Teleportation available outside of battle. Can't just teleport anywhere.

- Magic similar to teleportation. Hold to charge, target, cast. You can switch targets like teleportation.

- Battle system is based on movement and offence. You move and attack, move and defend. Constantly alternate between attacking, defending, switching mechanic, mixed with teleportation and magic for added flair. Attacks become more varied by switching mechanic. Example: Press Attack, Hold Attack, Switch, Press Attack, Switch, Press Attack, Teleport, Hold Attack, Switch, Teleport etc. Feels cinematic/flashy and plays well. Good potential here for combinations in big battles with more spells/abilities and teleportation.

- Missing meters for abilities and magic as well as UI. Not final. Must be in the final game in some form as no limitations in demo, constantly teleporting and abusing magic.

- Not indicative of the final product. A lot of work yet to be done. More customisation for magic and abilities, and they're still tinkering with the controls for the best overall feeling.

- Combat has a certain weight to it, but it's not slow at all. Feels good, responsive, quick. Game goes into battle mode when threat is detected. Seamless transition.

- Only controlled Noctis, but final game will allow control of characters other than Noctis. No demonstration of this.

Control scheme on the above demo:

R2 = Teleport
L2 = Fire
L1 = Weapon Switch Mechanic
Circle = Attack
X = Defend
L3 = Movement
R3 = Camera

This should give you a decent idea of how the demo in the notes was played.

Some points of difference from above and what they've shown here in the stream demo:

1. No magic targeting indicator anymore from the looks of it. Has this been replaced by automatic lock-on, or is it not present because they're changing how it looks or something? I don't know.
2. There is some form of UI in what they showed now, which wasn't there before. I believe this is not command based due to how the battle system is. One row for each member likely which tells you current actions. You could probably access item or summons off this by pressing back or forward. Again, I don't know this for fact.
3. Further note on the magic. In the demo in the notes, you press L2 to cast. No other button. I imagine in the final game, this will be like Kingdom Hearts instead so you have access to other magic. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Again, pure speculation.

The following is all speculation of what I thought it could possibly be like based of the hands-on (and added a little note now based on new UI):

Control Scheme for Battle Mode:

L2 = Magic (+ either Triangle, Circle, Square, or X)
R2 = Teleport (or different unique ability for other characters)
R1 = Switch Playable Character
Triangle = Limit Break / Special Attack
Square = Request Ally Assist
Circle = Attack / Enter (for Item or Summon Menu)
X = Defend / Cancel (for Item or Summon Menu)
L3 = Movement
R3 = Camera
D-Pad:
Up = Cover
Left = Access Item Menu (off UI)
Right = Access Summon Menu (off UI)
Down = Taunt...
The above control scheme is what I kind of imagined. Noctis uses teleport, switching mechanic, magic and attack to chain attacks.

Other characters would have their own unique ability or play style. For example, for Prompto, shooting is auto-lock on target. You press R2 quickly to change target, or keep it pressed to take manual aim. He could possibly use the switching mechanic also but change to different types of guns. You would still press Circle once for a quick shot, or keep it pressed for continuous shots and then use the switching mechanic to change up your attacks.

Maybe Ignis or Gladiolus receive some other type of ability for R2.

If you access the Item or Summon menu, you have to cancel out of the Item/Summon menu before you can start attacking again, since you're using the same button for enter.

For customisation, I'm hoping for some form of AI settings. You should be able to set them to offensive or defensive, and also give them some form of priority on magic attacks in battle situations. This way, you can balance your party with more defensive and offensive members. In addition to this, you should have some separate customisation for their magic and abilities, so if you take control of them manually, you'll have access to what you set.

This is the battle system I've kind of envisioned in mind for a while now, but chances are I'm completely wrong. It's a lot of speculation based on a barebones experience.

One other thing I hoped for was that we'd be able to activate battle mode manually. If battle mode is activated via threat maybe, then it doesn't need to activate automatically if it's just peaceful animals or beasts. This gives some balance in not every monster being a threat. Some may only become one because you start a fight. You can then explore some places a bit more peacefully and just look, like Jurassic Park. However, if you're a dick, you could press L1 or something to activate the battle menu and start killing the peaceful animals also. The way to control this would be that the battle menu can only be activated when you're in the presence of animals/beasts that can be attacked or are fight compatible. I would really like something like this.

Kssio_Aug

Given what we have seen so far I wouldn't be shocked if the XB1 version runs at 720p. The TGS trailer isn't full HD either, mind.

Yeah, somehow I'm expecting something like 720p for the Xbox One and 900p for the PS4. So I would have to see this running in front of me to have an good idea of the actual quality of the image on my TV. If the PS4 versions becomes much better then I will get just that one.

Mortemis

Banned
What's on my mind right now is if you can still manually switch weapons yourself like last years trailer lead us to believe or if its all auto as well. Like with that finishing attack by Ignis and Noctis, do we have to switch to Ignis' knife to help trigger it or does it all happen automatically.

I just wanna know how much control we really have over things.

Edit: thanks for the notes Verendus!

Again, please don't take as gospel. These are the some of the notes.

- Attack, defend, switch weapon mechanic, magic and teleportation. Two face buttons, three shoulder buttons. Access to one spell, Fire.

- No real point of comparison with the battle system. No jump button in demo. No idea if available in final. Press attack to hit, and hold to string attacks. Defence operates the same. Hold defence to take defensive stance and evade enemies. Can also hold defence and move using the analog. Potential for timed defences in more cluttered battles maybe. Movement entirely in player's control.

- Switching mechanic can be implemented before an attack or in the midst of an attack. Start heavy and strong, go light and fast etc.

- Teleportation works by holding the trigger to target, then releasing which implements the ability. Able to string teleportation and attacks together, with switching mechanic also. Can target enemies or certain points/objects for teleportation. Teleportation available outside of battle. Can't just teleport anywhere.

- Magic similar to teleportation. Hold to charge, target, cast. You can switch targets like teleportation.

- Battle system is based on movement and offence. You move and attack, move and defend. Constantly alternate between attacking, defending, switching mechanic, mixed with teleportation and magic for added flair. Attacks become more varied by switching mechanic. Example: Press Attack, Hold Attack, Switch, Press Attack, Switch, Press Attack, Teleport, Hold Attack, Switch, Teleport etc. Feels cinematic/flashy and plays well. Good potential here for combinations in big battles with more spells/abilities and teleportation.

- Missing meters for abilities and magic as well as UI. Not final. Must be in the final game in some form as no limitations in demo, constantly teleporting and abusing magic.

- Not indicative of the final product. A lot of work yet to be done. More customisation for magic and abilities, and they're still tinkering with the controls for the best overall feeling.

- Combat has a certain weight to it, but it's not slow at all. Feels good, responsive, quick. Game goes into battle mode when threat is detected. Seamless transition.

- Only controlled Noctis, but final game will allow control of characters other than Noctis. No demonstration of this.

Control scheme on the above demo:

R2 = Teleport
L2 = Fire
Circle = Attack
X = Defend
L3 = Movement
R3 = Camera

This should give you a decent idea of how the demo in the notes was played.

Some points of difference from above and what they've shown here in the stream demo:

1. No magic targeting indicator anymore from the looks of it. Has this been replaced by automatic lock-on, or is it not present because they're changing how it looks or something? I don't know.
2. There is some form of UI in what they showed now, which wasn't there before. I believe this is not command based due to how the battle system is. One row for each member likely which tells you current actions. You could probably access item or summons off this by pressing back or forward. Again, I don't know this for fact.
3. Further note on the magic. In the demo in the notes, you press L2 to cast. No other button. I imagine in the final game, this will be like Kingdom Hearts instead so you have access to other magic. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Again, pure speculation.

The following is all speculation of what I thought it could possibly be like based of the hands-on:

L2 = Magic (+ either Triangle, Circle, Square, or X)
R2 = Teleport (or different unique ability for other characters)
R1 = Switch Playable Character
Triangle = Limit Break / Special Attack
Square = Request Ally Assist
Circle = Attack / Enter (for Item or Summon Menu)
X = Defend / Cancel (for Item or Summon Menu)
L3 = Movement
R3 = Camera
D-Pad:
Up = Cover
Left = Access Item Menu (off UI)
Right = Access Summon Menu (off UI)
Down = Taunt...

The above control scheme is what I kind of imagined. Noctis uses teleport, switching mechanic, magic and attack to chain attacks.

Other characters would have their own unique ability or play style. For example, for Prompto, shooting is auto-lock on target. You press R2 quickly to change target, or keep it pressed to take manual aim. He could possibly use the switching mechanic also but change to different types of guns. You would still press Circle once for a quick shot, or keep it pressed for continuous shots and then use the switching mechanic to change up your attacks.

Maybe Ignis or Gladiolus receive some other type of ability for R2.

If you access the Item or Summon menu, you have to cancel out of the Item/Summon menu before you can start attacking again, since you're using the same button for enter.

For customisation, I'm hoping for some form of AI settings. You should be able to set them to offensive or defensive, and also give them some form of priority on magic attacks in battle situations. This way, you can balance your party with more defensive and offensive members. In addition to this, you should have some separate customisation for their magic and abilities, so if you take control of them manually, you'll have access to what you set.

This is the battle system I've kind of envisioned in mind for a while now, but chances are I'm completely wrong. It's a lot of speculation based on a barebones experience.

One other thing I hoped for was that we'd be able to activate battle mode manually. If battle mode is activated via threat maybe, then it doesn't need to activate automatically if it's just peaceful animals or beasts. This gives some balance in not every monster being a threat. Some may only become one because you start a fight. You can then explore some places a bit more peacefully and just look, like Jurassic Park. However, if you're a dick, you could press L1 or something to activate the battle menu and start killing the peaceful animals also. The way to control this would be that the battle menu can only be activated when you're in the presence of animals/beasts that can be attacked or are fight compatible. I would really like something like this.

thanks.

Top Bottom