• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

TDLink

I'm sure the story will just be: prince running away with best buds to go see a girl in the middle of the war, probably conflicts about the war throughout the adventures.

And possibly a twist of one of the friends being a mole from the other country to keep tabs on the prince.

It would be amazing if the story was simply that. Unfortunately I'm sure that's just the initial impetus and the war will actually become the focus...leading to the heroes resolving the war itself by the end of the game.

wmlk

The entire game being some kind of damsel in distress rescue? No danke. I hope Stella actually is a strong female protagonist with real agency in her storyline. Hell, I hope she's playable.

No. Literally friends journeying across the world to get the one bro to meet his girl.

Rinoa

Fished this out of the official website. Sorry if it has been posted again

fg.jpg

His new face looks younger than OG face in this profile.

Noctis_VersusXIII-side.jpg

The entire game being some kind of damsel in distress rescue? No danke. I hope Stella actually is a strong female protagonist with real agency in her storyline. Hell, I hope she's playable.

I think it's less 'damsel in distress' and more 'lovers from warring countries'.

I wanna say Romeo and Juliet has been referenced a few times in conjunction with this game's ideals and themes.

wmlk

It would be amazing if the story was simply that. Unfortunately I'm sure that's just the initial impetus and the war will actually become the focus...leading to the heroes resolving the war itself by the end of the game.

The picture where all of them are having a barbecue together says otherwise. They initially described it as a road-trip game, too.

RedSwirl

Looks much better than E3 2013 if you ask me. Maybe the E3 2013 videos were just shitty quality, but back then it looked like a slightly improved PS3 game. Now it looks like a proper PS4/Xbox One game for the most part. It even looks fairly close to Agny's Philosophy if you ask me. Maybe a bit on the low end of what we've seen from PS4 exclusives in terms of AA and LOD, but that may be because the environments are so huge.

I think the car is going to be your main mode of transportation throughout an open world, or at least something like it, and for at least a large portion of the game. A few years back Nomura noted that this game would have something like a world map system. Maybe not an actual map, but that the game will try to bring back the old structure of having towns with vast expanses of space between them. Hard to say how they'll do that. Maybe the'll have a single huge "overworld" with transitions from town to town. Maybe the towns and other major locations will simply have gigantic "road' like areas between them, like the areas of Final Fantasy XII but much, much later to accommodate for vehicles. They may even try a contiguous sandbox GTAV-style. In any case, I'm currently betting FFXV WON'T linear like XIII was. It'll be really cool if they find a way to resurrect the overworld system of old school JRPGs but in a new, modern way.

Overall, I'm just pulling for them to make a "pretty good" mainline Final Fantasy game. If they can just produce a game that doesn't have any overwhelmingly serious flaws and a few high points I think it'll be enough to gain back confidence. Then maybe after that try to regain the cutting edge throne of RPGs.

Eidan

I think it's less 'damsel in distress' and more 'lovers from warring countries'.

I wanna say Romeo and Juliet has been referenced a few times in conjunction with this game's ideals and themes.

I hear you. I still stand by how I hope Stella's character turns out.

KiN0

I am excited. That trailer had enough gameplay to revive my interest in this game. Plus the ost is sounding godly as expected of shimomura

She's not "in distress." The setting of the game is embroiled in a war, so he's trying to go visit her in the midst of said war. Seems more like Romeo and Juliet but with an actual war rather than a mere feud between the families.

Heh.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why was I getting this vibe, but more pretentious?

giphy.gif

sviri

What I'm really hopeful about is that they keep the story simplistic. No overly convoluted shit but rather a strong focus on the core cast.

Yes, I feel that both KH and FF could benefit from a slight simplification of their plots, with an increased focus on character development.

I am so happy tonight. It feels like my love for video games will soon return to its PSX/2 levels. Not that I have played any less within the last 10 years, but this really seems like the beginning of the return of my favorite series' greatness.

Rinoa

Yea, hints were dropped with Shakespearian quotes and Romeo+Juliet stuff going on. I'd say the 1996 Romeo+Juliet is a bit of inspiration for how Noctis and Stella meet in that other trailer.

I wouldn't mind honestly. As long as it doesn't become a

"you are the key to resolving the war and you have to fight the emperor, who is actually a god in disguise"

I'd rather it just be a running away self-contained story in the middle of the war. The war will have a focus of course, but I'd rather it just be a background menace that you have no direct influence on the outcome outside of being a key political figure.

orochi91

Yeah... that's gonna be like 1 year after the consoles. We waited long enough!

Patience is a virtue! I still haven't played GTA V yet because of that elusive PC port.

Also I recall reading how FF15 might be episodic, so I plan on waiting to see how
SE handles DLC and future releases in the Versus Saga. Will end up buying the game
a year or so after release anyways.

I hear you. I still stand by how I hope Stella's character turns out.

I agree, but we also just had 3 games of FF with a female lead (and not a very good one at that), so I'm...I'm not sure if SE is capable of creating a strong female lead. We'll see. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Yea, hints were dropped with Shakespearian quotes and Romeo+Juliet stuff going on. I'd say the 1996 Romeo+Juliet is a bit of inspiration for how Noctis and Stella meet in that other trailer.

This better be closer to "Romeo+Juliet" than "Great Gatsby" on the Baz Luhrmann scale of stuff. Or I'm gonna flip a table or something.

TnK

1. Hyped

2. Cautiously optimistic

3. Unimpressed

The flavor of the day. I've seen more people of 1 and 2 than 3
I guess I fall in 2. I also do expect the game to be a stinker, but that's the worst case scenario.

It's neogaf, what do you think?

I thought it looks great, in range of what I expected.
The above shows that there are different views on this trailer.

Stop port begging.
I was merely commenting on how it would be a waste to the game's graphics if it wasn't released on PC, hardly port begging. If it was not released on PC, I would get it on PS4 given that the game is good.

Sorry pal, Goblins and Garulas aren't "old school" and have been in almost every Final Fantasy game.
You really haven't played many FF games, have you? While it's true, goblins HAVE been in a LOT, the old school design has been dead for while. Let me show you a little something:

FFVI's version of goblins were presented as chubby mechanic-types:
Unseelie-ffvi-ios.png

FFVII's goblins, I like to call, "Hip Hop Goblins" were designed by Nomura to look "hip":

FFIX's goblins are heavily inspired by the FFVII ones:
20110311062301!GoblinFFIX.png

FFXI's look different altogether:
Goblin_NM1_%28FFXI%29.png

FFXIII's look like they took inspirations for the Mag Roaders:
FFXIII_enemy_Goblin.png

However, the classic look seen before FFVI, mainly based on Amano's FFII design seem to be the direct inspiration for FFXV's goblins:

Goblins.png
[/URL][/IMG]
goblin.png

Goblin-ff2-art_%28color%29.jpg

There's really no disputing that these ARE old school FF goblins. Hell, design dating back to 1988. If that's not old school, I don't know what is.

And Garula's a rarity in the series, only appearing in FFV. You might be mistaking it for the Gorgias types of FFVI(and Dimensions) or the Wyrds of FFIX. Garula's as overused as Syldra is.

daveo42

Banned
Expectations in check, but damn...that was one fine trailer. I'm just glad we got to see more than 3sec of new footage this year.

Graphics are great and all but man, that was a horrible trailer. Just some totally random stuff cut together.

I think people like it because we actually got to see in-game stuff this time around. Honestly, it looked great and actually makes me think they are progressing in development.

Eidan

I agree, but we also just had 3 games of FF with a female lead (and not a very good one at that), so I'm...I'm not sure if SE is capable of creating a strong female lead. We'll see. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Terra and Celes make me think it MUST be possible. That was a long time ago though. We'll see.

Rinoa

I know it probably won't happen but it'd be nice if you could play online with 3 other friends instead of AI.

Terra and Celes make me think it MUST be possible. That was a long time ago though. We'll see.

Terra and Celes, Luna and Stella, hoping they will be good...

Famassu

I'm curious, does anyone here think this game could end up being one of their favorite Final Fantasy games? Does the setting, characters, etc. from what we know interest you enough? If you do, let me know your favorite Final Fantasy game as well.
Easily. The characters seem to act somewhat believably and I like their designs, the story itself is supposed to try to handle themes like friendship in a more "mature" manner (not KH like "friendship is power (literally)", but more about comradery in a more realistic manner) and there's war, politics & scheming which I always like, the world itself has a gorgeous art direction, the combat system looks like it could be some of the most fun that FFs have ever had (I just hope they make it challenging enough) and the OST is by my favorite composer Yoko Shimomura.

The best FFs imo are FFV (purely from a gameplay POV), FFVI, FFVII & FFXII.

As a sidenote, I can't say Nomura giving the project to Tabata is something that, in hindsight, I'd think could never happen, but I thought and have even said here that I thought Tabata was brought in as a co-director to FFXV to prepare him to replace Nomura as the director for the sequel(s) to FFXV, not that he'd replace Nomura during FFXV's development already.

Gods will be in the game.

I mean c'mon they have to be :) lol

As they hinted with the whole interpretation thing, the gods will likely be shown differently than they were in FFXIII. That's the whole thing regarding FNC, after all, different take on one shared mythos. Who knows, they might not even be machine-like(like Pulse in FFXIII looking like a giant living robot), but actual "classical" looking gods(like Greek mythology).

Acosta

Jesuschrist, I knew that waiting to download the HD trailer was for the best (thanks Blimlim!)

It looks fucking amazing. FUCKING amazing. And I love the idea of going in car for adventures with my bros.

I never stopped believing, but now I believe even more.

FINAL FANTASY IS BACK BABY! EVERYONE IN THE HYPE CAR.

zaccheus

Banned
square enix why do you do this to me? you've dissapointed me far too many times, yet this really excites me and it looks amazing.

Top Bottom