• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

Dark_castle

Strangely enough, looking back at the ancient 2006 trailer, the game seemed to have a darker tone with blood coming out of the enemies while Noctis impaled them. When you attack enemies in the recent trailer, the blood doesn't seem to be there. I wonder if that's because they wanted to make the tone lighter.

Perhaps they did tone it down, but in E3 2013 trailer, there still were blood oozing out of behemoth.

ffxv_e3_2013_gameplay-38.jpg

Zoe

I don't get why Stelluna's hair color changed, if that is the same person.

It's similar to the hi-res tone from last year. They likely lightened it to match with current fashion trends.

(Though blonde seems to be on its way out again)

sappyday

Strangely enough, looking back at the ancient 2006 trailer, the game seemed to have a darker tone with blood coming out of the enemies while Noctis impaled them. When you attack enemies in the recent trailer, the blood doesn't seem to be there. I wonder if that's because they wanted to make the tone lighter.
When the game was first announced Nomura said he wanted to make this the darkest FF yet.

The first time they ever showed gameplay footage they showed Noctis fighting a behemot and when Noctis slashed it it would spurt blood. However, once they show the 2011 trailer there was no more blood.

I don't think any tone or themes have changed drastically but I do think blood coming out of enemies have been scrapped especially since it's now a mainline series.

Edit: Oh wow never noticed the blood in the e3 trailer.

Would people mind if they have CGI in the game for the important scene? I always liked that a CGI was a treat to the player for reaching a certain point.

Same here. I think they still will, and I personally still want some godlike Visual Works CG in there as a "reward" at spots like you said.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Well Dragon Quest VIII begs to differ. IMO, how that's how XV should approach the design of it. You get a vast, closed open world that seamlessly connected between field area, town and dungeon, and approaching the mid-endgame, an airship that goes over the top view from the skies that is capable of landing on clear area, indicated on the ground.

DQVIII would be a good solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YeFjiyfD2n4#t=751

Didn't Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon do this as well? Seem to recall seeing similar videos for either of the game.

They don't have to let us land everywhere if they don't want to build a zone for every part of the map but could still hide spots where you can land for secrets.

At a functional level, I think it's really difficult to implement airships for Final Fantasy's approach to the overworld in the current gen.

Part of the magic of airships was that you travel the entire globe with airships in FF. FF games don't have global travel anymore because the planet map is sacrificed with overworld maps.

The overworld approach allows the games to feel seamless from city to battle to travel, because you are not suddenly pulled out from how it looks to something different. But that also restricts travel to that zone, since you're not seeing the mass world anymore. And in that setting, airship would be really restrictive because you're confined by the limitations of how much assets you could make for that world.

IMO, the only way for airships to work in the traditional sense for 'open zone' games like FFXII and FFXV is if airships travel are their own map that you cannot land on places other than designated landing spots.

Basically, you travel across the globe, but unless there's a landing zone, you can't land there.
That could work too, I've had similar thoughts. The airship could also soar into the sky - in a mid cloud/ground area with less LOD where the ground beneath you is partially covered by clouds, enabling the engine to render more seamlessly and maybe bypassing the zones with you navigating with a map on the side (kind of like the map we saw in the E3 trailer when Noct teleported to one of the airships). That in and of itself could be interesting, having layers of clouds to fly through... But I'm guessing that'd be too time consuming to create (and I simply can't wait anymore). Maybe what I'm suggesting is simply too expensive and I doubt Square wants to dump anymore resources into this... Let's just wait it out, maybe they'll surprise us with a better solution!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think I've watched the trailer over 50 times ;.;

I keep thinking to myself nope this can't be real, a Final Fantasy XV trailer, must watch again ahahha

HeelPower

Noctis seems like someone you would meet in real life.

Them hanging out especially reminds me of when I used to hang out with my own friends in high school.

But alas such sweet gatherings are really rare these days...At least for me they are.

HeelPower

Everything that's not public is strictly NDA as far as we as outside contractors are concerned lol. For example even with KH2.5 less than 2 weeks away we're not talking about it at all yet.

Sorry.

Can you at least say what kind of work Shimomura is doing ? Are there really big production values for this particular OST ?

HeelPower

It's Square Enix's sink-or-swim game

What do you think lol

nice.

You worked with hamauzu right ? The production values were always so phenomenal but he usually used synthetic sounds.

Shimomura tends to use a lot of real instruments so its really exciting to know about the quality of the recordings.

Can you confirm that the soundtrack is long at least ? :p

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Did you like this trailer or the E3 trailer better? I cant decide.

I'm a sucker for Visual Works CG scenes; nevertheless, the progression we've seen so far, from the E3 build to its current developments, is a sight to behold. As such, the TGS trailer would be my personal favorite :D

You?

Falk

that puzzling face
You worked with hamauzu right ? The production values were always so phenomenal but he usually used synthetic sounds.

I agree that the two composers have signature sounds that people associate with but it also highly depends on what the music is for. This is by Hamauzu for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3ZNTfJNmc

I really, really can't say anything more about Square Enix stuff for now. Believe me you have no idea how hard it is lol.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
From Type-0 livestream:
Duscae is a toponym, there's an area in the game world.
Demo length is about 1 hour, but players might play for about 3 hours.
There's gonna be a bit of overworld and a dungeon.
Car's in! Chocobos might also be.
No boss battles, because they're a big deal in the game.
Trying to make distribution date to be the same as Type 0 HD release date.
Ignis was driving in the trailer but you can do it yourself, or you can leave it on auto, so Noctis' friends will drive it for you.

See that Adamantoise? You can fight him.
But it will take a long while.

They're showing the demo.
Rain effects and thing. Detailed to the point where places under objects don't get wet and when it's sunny it dries up as you go.
Tech demo they're showing doesn't seem to be Duscae, instead it's the place from E3 2013 trailer where they fought Behemoth.
There is a realistic dynamic day-night cycle complete with lighting thing Ubi was flaunting so much with Watch Dogs.
SWORD WARP IS GAMEPLAY
I REPEAT IT'S WORKING GAMEPLAY
It's much snappier than in the trailer.
Fought Behemoth and a bunch of goblins. Party members attacked enemies on their own.
Visual details aren't completely fine-tuned yet.
Fire spell animation seemed to be based on the shape of the enemy.

[over]

HeelPower

From Type-0 livestream:
Ignis was driving in the trailer but you can do it yourself, or you can leave it on auto, so Noctis' friends will drive it for you.

Rain effects and thing.

wow great bits of details...Looks like the game will give you a wealth of options to play around with.

Ishida

Banned
From Type-0 livestream:

Rain effects and thing. Detailed to the point where places under objects don't get wet and when it's sunny poodles dry up.

FANTASTIC details! I'm loving EVERYTHING about this game so far.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
HOLY SHIT. THe scale of this game is reminding me of something like GTA or ACU, those buildings are huge

Top Bottom