• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

Eh, I'm not that into this. Reminds me a bit too much aesthetically of FFXIV. A big thing about FF has been how it has constantly reinvented itself, especially in terms of world, combat systems and aesthetics (see the difference from FFVII to FFVIII to FFIX to FFX in that department). This just seems too much like FFXIV with a hint of FFXII.

Good that it's seemingly available on PC as well, as otherwise it'd be just "PS5 exclusive".

DJT123

Nah, that's just the way it is, sorry. I know you seem sour but you'll get over it

FFXVI, only on ps5...

No xbox.
I don't care about console wars, except for occasionally touting my prefered platform because of misinformation. I'm just saying, you have to have the same standards about "console exclusivity" for everyone.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I don't care about console wars. I'm just saying, you have to have the same standards about "console exclusivity" for everyone.
I do, and that's why I go with sony, nintendo and a pc. I'm all covered, can't care less about console wars, but saying ffxvi isn't an exclusive for ps5 is just like saying halo isn't an exclusive for xbox. Doesn't make any sense

lock2k

Banned
I really don't get Final Fantasy, tried to get into it in the 90's and never had the patience for it.

That said, it's cool that they announced it and I never met a single Final Fantasy fan that played Xbox anyway. All of them have PS.

Pejo

Coming to PC, so that's cool, but fuck - this looks like it could have just been character DLC for FFXV. Not impressed so far. The stupid fucking warping around by the MC is back in, one of my least favorite parts of the combat.

mortal

Gold Member

That first completely fresh mainline Final Fantasy announced since 2009. Yoshida is producing with a new director Hiroshi Takai helming.

50350256652_61246eec01_k.jpg

50350258547_4dd8ec651b_k.jpg

50350098806_b8023eb2e4_k.jpg

50350257182_f99bbea1b9_k.jpg

RjTPTph.jpg

Sephimoth

Posted this in other thread but in what world would they pick FF15 style combat over FF7R one? BAFFLING
(at least it seemed like that)

Aion002

Guys, people say how amazing the Xbox Series X hardware is (and MS must have spent a shitload of money to make the powerful warhorse of theirs),
but Sony, they've probably spent a shitload of money to get console exclusivities (PC versions are planned too you know), into the bargain (instead of just building a super powerful hardware only)
Games>>>> powaaa.

Bragr

Banned
Weird, usually Final Fantasy looks bombastic and amazing at the first showing, I honestly thought this was some new expansion for 14 or something for a while there. The characters also looked very bland, looked like the same people with different hairstyles. I suspect it's years and years off. Still, that's a big exclusive.

Handel

People will only care about this game for console wars, even though FF has only become multi-platform since it went to shit(FFXIII) and this also doesn't look good. At least FFXV had a party...this looks largely like you just control the main character, the combat doesn't look great as an ARPG, and the world/characters in the trailer failed to capture my interest...just trotting out familiar elements like espers and chocobo but the presentation failed to be imaginative.

Total disappointment. FF remains dead outside of FFXIV.

Fuz

Banned
Oh boy your comments.

Guys, "exclusive" has meant only one console AND PC for a while now, and will mean that from now on. Get over it.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

At first glance i know it game made by division 3. The setting, the dialogue. Damn those guy are good.

Naoki Yoshida is the producer and Hiroshi Takai is the director. Hopefully Kazutoyo Maehiro is the writer

Soken please?

can feel Heavensward setting vibe from there

Caio

Console exclusive. That's quite brutal.

That rumor was true in the end. Gee, that's SFV all over again.

Yep, it's very brutal, indeed. PS5 is a Day One, and Spiderman.......it looks insane. Can't wait for the 4K trailer, that will blow us away.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
People will only care about this game for console wars, even though FF has only become multi-platform since it went to shit(FFXIII) and this also doesn't look good. At least FFXV had a party...this looks largely like you just control the main character, the combat doesn't look great as an ARPG, and the world/characters in the trailer failed to capture my interest...just trotting out familiar elements like espers and chocobo but the presentation failed to be imaginative.

Total disappointment. FF remains dead outside of FFXIV.

I hope you're aware that this FF is by the FFXIV team. :p

Handel

I hope you're aware that this FF is by the FFXIV team. :p
I am aware that's the rumor, doesn't change what's been shown. Opinion could change with more info/trailers but it's clear they're going further down a direction I don't want the series to go with the gameplay.

Top Bottom