• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

Antitype

Poor MS. At this point the only thing that could save their console would be to fully support Windows 10 to get some games via Steam. Sony is really going aggro this upcoming gen..

Not sure how to feel about FFXVI yet, it does not look like an FF at all so far, more like a Western fantasy game (which isn't necessarily bad). But at least there's no Nomura in sight from what we got to see in the trailer, so there's hope it's not going to be a trainwreck. Now to hope Nojima had no part in the writing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That was awesome. At first, I kinda wished it had a futuristic setting again, but then... no, actually this all totally works. FFVII Remake was a huge step in the right direction, so uh...

I think I'm excited for Final Fantasy again?

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXVI for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Yes, what a shame that they didn't appease the Xbox user base of a whopping 5,000.

I'm intrigued by the dark setting. If they keep this contained and are consistent with their writing

If that's the way you're calling it Microsoft have a shitton of exclusives.

People take the definition too seriously, I've always considered them to be exclusives. "Let's make up explanations as to why releasing on more than one platform is still exclusive and get a lot of flak for it, even though it's perfectly reasonable and valid, curse those fanboys!".

Last edited:
Well this is an interesting turn. It looks more akin to the original games (or XII) with a sprinkle of the whatever category GoT/The Witcher etc is. I still don't think it can become the leading product they want it to be with the with Japanese designs aesthetically/narratively, but if you remove that would it even be Final Fantasy anymore. You want to make a fantasy RPG series for international appeal based on current trends but you're tied down by the conventions of the brand you're banking on to promote it at the same time. A rock and a hard place.

YukiOnna

As expected. From Yoshi-P's Division and the DMC Combat Designer. I have no reason to doubt them on the writing.

Looks exactly as I wanted, no scifi/modern bullshit. Just straight return to traditional fantasy.

Spaceman292

Banned
Uh... Not sure. I'm embarrassed to admit that for half the video I thought it was FFXIV.

I dunno, I like it being medieval again, but it just looked so... Generic. No style of its own. I've never been this lukewarm to a FF reveal. Feels weird.
It's better than over-designed vomit like FF13 at least

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wouldnt bet on it being complete exclusivity.

7Ucl1OE.png

I felt nothing watching this. It looked so generic. I’m not into medieval style fanfasy at all. When FF XV was introduced I was blown away by great it looked. This looked so... bland.

At least we’re getting FF VII remake part 2.

Sign

Am I the only one who thinks this game looks like its reusing a lot of assets from FF14?

It definitely seems to be using the engine. Makes sense with YoshiP producing. He has said he doesn't like the studios self-destructive focus on graphics. This may end up being the most "complete" final fantasy since 12, or 10 depending on how you feel about 12's story.

McCarth

Not the usual graphical punch of an FF title but let's be honest, Square can't hack it anymore and I don't feel like waiting until 2024 for this if they tried.

Easily the most interested I've been in an FF title since XII.

Last edited:
If only they made an actual Final Fantasy again with you know, the gameplay it was known for and some actual charm and all that, but that's life I guess.

Azurro

Banned
I thought it looked incredible, can't wait to play this. Best part of the show aside from Demon's Souls. 😎

John Day

Looked very early, although understandable.

Back to a fantasy setting it seems, i’m interested. But the game probably won’t be out till ‘22 i’d guess.

Cool way to start that showcase.

Seems like another Fabula Nova Crystalis jam, considering the l'Cie brands on their faces and the "our kind do not question orders, we follow them" bit.

Sign

I wonder if we will have party characters or not. Could be really neat if the player can switch between different characters that all have different fighting / magic styles.

35cent

Geez some of the comments in here are sad. 'Yes! This game won't be available on the enemy platform YESSSSS!!!!' Anyway I'll remain cautiously optimistic. I loved FF up until 13 and 15 which I thought both of them sucked. The thought the graphics didn't look particularly great but the game won't be out any time soon so it will probably be fine in the end.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I 100% bet this will be compared against FFXV (or FFVII Remake for that matter).

This game is leaning towards how FFXII looks and feels like (arguably also FFIX), I think it's time we're due for something like that.

Top Bottom