• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI development in “the final stretch”

Pierce Brosnan Running GIF by James Bond 007

Turn based JRPGs, RTS, and arcade racing games will all eventually be iOS/Android only genres. Some will be good, some will be loaded with MTX, and some will be bad.
darth-vader-search-your-feelings.gif

yurinka

Next State of Play updates?
According to the "insiders" Sony was going to have a big show on March:

You know, the Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller "insiders" were expecting the announcement of a very big acquisition from Sony weeks ago, 'bigger than Kojima Productions' according to Jeff Grubb:

We were supposed to have a Sony's early E3 or something and nothing happened. Who knows, maybe they weren't lying and mading up stuff, and for some reasons all that was announced over a month and we get a huge State of Play or PS Showcase in a week or two.

But being realistic, I assume they'll wait for a summer event where they'd showcase their main exclusives for H2 2022 and H1 2023 like FFXVI, GoWR, Spider-Man 2 and some new ones getting announced for that period like TLOU2 DC, TLOU remake and the TLOU factions game and maybe something else like Helldivers 2 or -if lucky- the Firewalk game. Plus obviously PSVR2 stuff, but I think PSVR2 stuff would get its own separated event maybe around September or early October, announcing a H1 2023 release.

Last edited:
According to the "insiders" Sony was going to have a big show on March:

You know, the Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller "insiders" were expecting the announcement of a very big acquisition from Sony weeks ago, 'bigger than Kojima Productions' according to Jeff Grubb:

We were supposed to have a Sony's early E3 or something and nothing happened. Who knows, maybe they weren't lying and mading up stuff, and for some reasons all that was announced over a month and we get a huge State of Play or PS Showcase in a week or two.

Looks like it's been saved for E3 week Summer Games Fest week.

YukiOnna

Wow this is actually very impressive. It feels like they are firing on all cylinders. How long has this one been in development?
Hiring and Pre-Production started in 2016, Yoshi-P said it entered mass development already back in April 2019. He said the next time they show it off the game would be near done or done with a release date.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Yoshida and his team are behind this … it will be good. That quote really makes me feel like he knows that he has something special. That’s a pretty bold statement.

Edited to add:
Hope Soken is doing the OST.

Last edited:

yurinka

Looks like it's been saved for E3 week Summer Games Fest week.
I'd prefer to see Sony, Nintendo, Ubi or other big publishers who are members of ESA to have stunning summer conferences during the same week, but all of them outside Summer Games Fest, maybe 2 or more weeks before it. That would make the Doritos Pope vulture look bad.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to see Sony, Nintendo, Ubi or other big publishers who are members of ESA to have stunning summer conferences during the same week, but all of them outside Summer Games Fest, maybe 2 or more weeks before it. That would make the Doritos Pope vulture look bad.
That's looking more and more like just a dream at this point. Now that E3 is gone this year, Keighley is going to end up running both the Summer and the Winter seasons when it comes to video game trailer showcases. The good news is that at least the Summer show isn't an award show.

Pagusas

Elden Member
wish this would just get our already so we can move on to Remake Part 2.

I fucking hate the world and look of Ivalice, the aesthetic, the writing, the politics, all of it is so horribly done and bland to me I just want that arm of FF to die (I loved tactics inspite of the trash world building, and 12 is just a miserable dumpster fire to me) FF9 showed them how to make a fantasy world gorgeous and interesting.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I don't understand the people who are excited about this. Do they not remember Final Fantasy XV and the absolute mess that it was? I feel like expectations need to be tempered. Square Enix is not the G.O.A.T. that it once was.

YukiOnna

I don't understand the people who are excited about this. Do they not remember Final Fantasy XV and the absolute mess that it was? I feel like expectations need to be tempered. Square Enix is not the G.O.A.T. that it once was.
Different teams and leads as always just like with FF7R is not really the same as XV. I'd say SE has put out a good amount of nice games in the past generation.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I trust Yoshi P.
That said, this game feels like it would have otherwise been an FFXIV expansion.
I'm a thirsty FF fan, though, so I'll take it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Spoken like some that hasn’t played final fantasy xiv. This has nothing to do with xv its that team do some research.

Last edited:
With a take like this I'm surprised you have that profile pic:
798707.jpg

There must be a good story behind it.

GHound

I have more chances of having group sex with Yua Mikami, Tsubomi, Yui Hatano and Ai Uehara than this game coming out in 2022.
I'll take those odds. Q4 baby.

edit: Oh and they've also got other games slated for 2022 that haven't gotten dates yet. Square 'bout to nut all over Q3 and/or Q4 :messenger_smirking:
they will all be flops though

Last edited:

YukiOnna

It is not difficult for me to get excited for a new mainline FF title. Each is so different from the rest that it becomes a case by case basis and hard to gauge a trend with so little released as of late tbh. Of course I favour certain creators over the other, but always willing to give a chance.

It is different from DQ and KH.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Spoken like some that hasn’t played final fantasy xiv. This has nothing to do with xv its that team do some research.

Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG and is an entirely different beast than a single-player JRPG. Thanks for ending your comment with a condescending remark though. Your penis must be huge.

With a take like this I'm surprised you have that profile pic:
798707.jpg

There must be a good story behind it.

It's a disappointingly boring story. I thought Noctis looked cool even back when it was supposed to be Final Fantasy Versus XIII. That's it. Sorry for being such a let-down. "lollipop_disappointed:

Different teams and leads as always just like with FF7R is not really the same as XV. I'd say SE has put out a good amount of nice games in the past generation.

True, but Final Fantasy VII Remake is a pretty divisive game. A lot of people (myself included) hate what Square Enix did with it. More importantly though, Final Fantasy VII Remake already had a ton of backstory. This wasn't created from the ground up like Final Fantasy XV was, or like Final Fantasy XVI.

When it comes to single-player Final Fantasy games Square Enix hasn't had a smashing success (reception-wise) since Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy XIII is widely seen as the black-sheep of the series now, and that shows with the massive drop in sales to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

Final Fantasy XV moved away from turn-based combat, and it was like they spent all of their time redesigning their combat system and making the graphics pop, but at the expense of the actual story which was disjointed and lacking.

To be clear, I'm not saying Final Fantasy XVI will be bad. I'm saying that I think it would be wiser to be cautiously optimistic instead of hyped and/or excited. Obviously people can do what they want. I'm just surprised that there aren't more people concerned about whether or not they're going to get back to providing a great story.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG and is an entirely different beast than a single-player JRPG. Thanks for ending your comment with a condescending remark though. Your penis must be huge.

It's a disappointingly boring story. I thought Noctis looked cool even back when it was supposed to be Final Fantasy Versus XIII. That's it. Sorry for being such a let-down. "lollipop_disappointed:

True, but Final Fantasy VII Remake is a pretty divisive game. A lot of people (myself included) hate what Square Enix did with it. More importantly though, Final Fantasy VII Remake already had a ton of backstory. This wasn't created from the ground up like Final Fantasy XV was, or like Final Fantasy XVI.

When it comes to single-player Final Fantasy games Square Enix hasn't had a smashing success (reception-wise) since Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy XIII is widely seen as the black-sheep of the series now, and that shows with the massive drop in sales to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

Final Fantasy XV moved away from turn-based combat, and it was like they spent all of their time redesigning their combat system and making the graphics pop, but at the expense of the actual story which was disjointed and lacking.

To be clear, I'm not saying Final Fantasy XVI will be bad. I'm saying that I think it would be wiser to be cautiously optimistic instead of hyped and/or excited. Obviously people can do what they want. I'm just surprised that there aren't more people concerned about whether or not they're going to get back to providing a great story.
Wasn't meant to be condescending sorry if you took it that way and my penis is small and flaccid seeing as you must know.
The very last thing you typed is why people that have played FFXIV are hyped. See even as a different type of beast the main story of FFXIV is better than most of the single-player affairs. That in and of itself is a feat, it's not for everyone and a lot of players that say it's not good are the ones that just skip the story and cutscenes to burn through the content to get to the raids. My biggest gripe with XIV has always been how old it is and looks which they are addressing in patch 7.0 with the first of many graphic updates. If you checked out Yoshi P and his team you would see how serious the man is when it comes to anything with his name on it. Should be a complete game where they don't just cut content and say it was DLC they were working on .....(looking at you tiny tina) .... Read his final quote, Yoshida is not prone to hyperbole or exaggeration in fact he generally tries to get people to temper their expectations. For him to say something like that lets me know what's coming and I for one am excited.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I think it's okay to dislike FFVII-R's approach, depends on the person. Though it was a generally well received game to the public and unlike Square Enix during the PS3 era, which was their roughest generation, it was a good return to form with a complete game (Story is in parts, but I'm talking about the game itself) and felt like a well rounded FF. FFXIV goes without saying. XIII and XV had issues.

But like I said, every FF is so wildly different as evident of that it's why I'm content being excited every time. It's different from DQ and KH which have the same teams and it will vary if you like it or not. For XVI, I know the staff from FF14 and love what they've done so I trust Yoshi-P as Producer it becomes an added bonus.

Kumomeme

because this time the people behind XIV handled this game. considering reputation of the game and developers behind it, it is not suprise for people to be excited.

those people from XIII, XV and VII Remake including veteran like Nomura, Kitase, Nojima, Toriyama is not involved at all. so we also might gonna get something 'fresh' this time.

Myths

Only three more years kupo…

Seriously, I don’t think anyone ever complains about being swept away from the mundane adult life to a fantasy world. That’s what most need and want to relieve stress.

killatopak

Gold Member
Yoshida said that he would never show FFXVI until it was really ready for release because when they were researching overseas, they noticed fans would always say stuff like See you in 2035 when previous SE games were announced.

Brigandier

I dunno maybe because very competent reputable people are behind this entry 🤷‍♂️

SkylineRKR

FFVII R is nothing special. I'm looking forward much more to XVI. I like XII, XIV the most these days. Personally I hate the directions XIII, XV and VII take. Perhaps if I was still in my teens I would like it.

Astral Dog

I have watched their gameplay trailer and didn't really like that they apparently went full action. Felt almost like DMC. But that's not what really bothered me, because the gamelay actually seems good... however, are there gonna be parties? Or just a single character in battle?
Yeah they got DMC 5 designers on FFXVI team so you can bet its gonna be damn good 👌

I’m a very simple Final Fantasy fan (not really).

All I’m asking for this time around is to have a decent amount of CG cinematics. Please. I know XV only had 3 because of Kingsglaive but still 🥺

Don’t @ me idc if you think in-game is “good enough” (it isn’t)

(Also no I don’t care if you think VIIR’s CG models looked weird; that doesn’t automatically make all CG cinematics in the history of forever bad)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
All I’m asking for this time around is to have a decent amount of CG cinematics. Please. I know XV only had 3 because of Kingsglaive but still 🥺

I always wanted them to do what they did in the FF games on PS1, where you sometimes had sequences with a seamless transition between CGI and in-game backgrounds. Like the beginning of FF7 for example, where the CG video ends right as the train arrives at the station, and immediately turns into the first in-game background where you jump off the train and fight the Shinra soldiers. FF8 especially did this a lot; in that game you sometimes even had real-time gameplay happening in front of a FMV. For some reason they never tried anything similar with later FF games (at least not as far as I can remember).

With FF16 (and the next part of FF7r) the real-time graphics might finally be good enough that it should be possible to do such seamless transitions so convincingly that you can‘t immediately tell where CG ends and real-time begins. You could have a boss fight on the deck of your airship while it flies through the sky, but instead of the world outside the airship being rendered in real-time, the surroundings are actually a CG video playing in the background, and only the boss, your party, and the airship itself are rendered in real-time.

Furthermore, one of the down-sides of CG has always been that if the game has some kind of visible character customization, it won‘t carry over into CG cutscenes (which is probably why prior to FF15, changing armor or equipment didn’t actually change the look of your characters). But a possible solution might be if there was a way to render different clothes and equipment in real-time on top of the characters in a pre-rendered cutscene. Since only the clothes and equipment would have to be rendered, and nothing else, the PS5 should be powerful enough to be able to render them convincingly enough that they look nearly indistinguishable from CG. There would have to be some trickery in regard to visibility and occlusion of these real-time objects, since they‘re just rendered on top of a flat, non-interactive video, but theoretically something like this should be possible.

This post is confusing to me.

First of all: there are different development teams. Even if your explanation for this cynicism is "XIV is an MMO," the team is comprised of, like, no one from FFXV. In addition, practically everything stated in interviews has made it extremely clear that the story in XVI is its highest priority.

Secondly: in regard to your "moved away from turn-based combat," it's strange that you say this as if SE had no experience with real-time combat prior to XV. The same (or mostly? same) team worked on Type-0. XV's combat is indeed insanely flawed and horrifically balanced, but that doesn't have to do with it being real-time.

Third: practically every mainline FF works on making the graphics "pop." Though obviously since the HD era that's been to the series' detriment

Fourth: This part obviously is just subjective/tales from my flat ass, but I believe that the dismal state of the game's story is primarily due to the focus on the completely incongruent open world camping bro-trip gameplay. There was an interview from years back stating that the devs were against the open world, but Tabata said that his position on making XV an open world was something he would stand firm with. I think it's that, plus being forced to use the Luminous engine while it was still being worked on, plus Tabata taking over a project and clearly being very insecure about directing it... and you have XV.

Last edited:
I always wanted them to do what they did in the FF games on PS1, where you sometimes had sequences with a seamless transition between CGI and in-game backgrounds. Like the beginning of FF7 for example, where the CG video ends right as the train arrives at the station, and immediately turns into the first in-game background where you jump off the train and fight the Shinra soldiers. FF8 especially did this a lot; in that game you sometimes even had real-time gameplay happening in front of a FMV. For some reason they never tried anything similar with later FF games (at least not as far as I can remember).

With FF16 (and the next part of FF7r) the real-time graphics might finally be good enough that it should be possible to do such seamless transitions so convincingly that you can‘t immediately tell where CG ends and real-time begins. You could have a boss fight on the deck of your airship while it flies through the sky, but instead of the world outside the airship being rendered in real-time, the surroundings are actually a CG video playing in the background, and only the boss, your party, and the airship itself are rendered in real-time.

Furthermore, one of the down-sides of CG has always been that if the game has some kind of visible character customization, it won‘t carry over into CG cutscenes (which is probably why prior to FF15, changing armor or equipment didn’t actually change the look of your characters). But a possible solution might be if there was a way to render different clothes and equipment in real-time on top of the characters in a pre-rendered cutscene. Since only the clothes and equipment would have to be rendered, and nothing else, the PS5 should be powerful enough to be able to render them convincingly enough that they look nearly indistinguishable from CG. There would have to be some trickery in regard to visibility and occlusion of these real-time objects, since they‘re just rendered on top of a flat, non-interactive video, but theoretically something like this should be possible.
I have ALWAYS wanted a fight where the background is a CGI clip lol. Technically that's already happened with VIII with that mini-game of Squall vs. Galbadia soldier, but yeah.

I agree, I love it when games have seamless transitions of in-game, to CG, back to in-game.

And maybe I'm "lame" but I'm very much a "default costume" kind of person. I don't really care about that stuff, and if a game with CG cutscenes has visible armor changes/multiple costumes, the transition to CG never "breaks my immersion" because I have always seen CG cutscenes as a glimpse of what the game would look like with an unlimited budget. Or perhaps a selfie taken via iPhone with no make-up on Vs. photo taken, and edited by, a professional photographer, with make-up on. lol

I think what you suggested would be possible as well, but I'd imagine that it would be very resource-intensive and would look very awkward. I couldn't imagine it not sticking out like a sore thumb unless the quality of the CG is compromised, in which case: why even bother, then?

Dis

I get what you’re saying, but Naoki Yoshida is not a joke.

I’m not into the character designs of XVI, but XIV story wise is so good. I dont feel like i’m playing a MMORPG. I feel like i’m playing a full fledged GTA styled Final Fantasy. It actually feels like an FF game. The first for me since FFX.

It comes closest to that square magic.

In other words, as a MMORPG, XIV is a different beast.

And i havent even made it to Heavensward and the other expansions.

Dude actually managed to create something that resembles FF since X.

Tetsuya Nomura.. i dont dislike 7R. But the whole thing.. its a bit self centered. He’s kind of a joke with how he screwed up KH.

Tabata Hajime is a joke too.. genesis in crisis core wasn’t loved and type 0 isnt special.

That XIII dude is also a joke
“I brought with me a rose because it resembles Lightning” pff

But again Yoshi P is not a joke i can assure you

There’s reason to have faith in him
He’s the best square got

(Havent played Nier so dont know anything about Yoko Taro)

wvnative

(Also no I don’t care if you think VIIR’s CG models looked weird; that doesn’t automatically make all CG cinematics in the history of forever bad)

Thank you!

you, i like you

mortal

Gold Member

Thank you!
Much like turn based battles and world maps, pre-rendered CGI cutscenes are a thing of the past.
At best we'll probably get an intro and/or an ending in pre-rendered CGI, if at all.

Boss Man

Looking forward to this because of Yoshi P. No interest in FF7 remakes since they’re no longer capable of making open world games. The remakes are prettier but worse games than the originals, it’s gross.

Last edited:
Top Bottom