• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI environments and exploration trailer released

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sure, if you’re on drugs…
Hey man, I just call it like I see it. I said Zelda looked weak in the last trailer too. Buying both of these day 1.

The FF curse remains. The current one is always hated and makes you retroactively appreciate the one that came out previously.

At the very least, art design seems super generic compared to the uniqueness of XIII and XV. Graphics are debatable sure, but I still kinda stand by what I said.

Musilla

ezgif-1-39633430b6.gif

ezgif-5-d54f146085.gif

ezgif-5-d5b7692fd7.gif

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Full panel uploaded with the new footage in slightly higher quality:

11:11-13:14 Gameplay

15:42-17:36 Some areas/environments

24:38-25:54 Eikonic abilities gameplay

30:00-39:39 live demonstration of large area/world map/travelling loading time/hub/training mode/arcade mode/replay stage and one ??? talk

46:50-57:45 Accessibilty options

57:48-58:45 Can you you pet the Torgal(lol)

1:00:27-1:02:18 Eikon vs Eikon More RPG elements in april. There were plenty of more info but I mainly stayed on the parts that contained gameplay.

Seriously felt like I saw and learned too much lol. This is going to be a goty contender.

Last edited:
Hey man, I just call it like I see it. I said Zelda looked weak in the last trailer too. Buying both of these day 1.

The FF curse remains. The current one is always hated and makes you retroactively appreciate the one that came out previously.

At the very least, art design seems super generic compared to the uniqueness of XIII and XV. Graphics are debatable sure, but I still kinda stand by what I said.

There's no such thing as an FF curse. There's just different audiences that look for different things in an FF game, and those that are super passionate about the incredibly wacky direction it has trended towards are the most vocal while the ones that lost interest just stopped engaging in discussions altogether.

I would argue, there's a huge segment of the FF audience that has become increasingly disinterested in the genre as it has moved towards a South Korean Boy Band or ResetERA Avatar style over the past two decades. Some fans of the series put up with it because they enjoy the mechanics of the series but cannot stand the direction otherwise.

FFXV was a massive disappoint. In development hell for over a decade, with a bunch of spiky haired bros running around an aesthetically inconsistent world with mechanics that did not feel strong at all and feeled like a tepid appeasment of those that wanted a bit more action. This same team brought us the immensely disappointing Forespoken.

What you consider "super generic", most would consider going back to a more aesthetically consistent and mature style reminscent of the series of FF6 and prior, although admittedly those games were forced into more basic art styles due to hardware limitations. Regardless, FFXVI is a massive step up when it comes to global appeal - getting rid of the waifu nonsense the series has meandered in for ages, and going for a more consistent, mature "Game of Thrones" type vibe for western audiences in addition to a maturation of the combat mechanics to be more actively engaging. I have a feeling this game will elevate Final Fantasy back into the limelight it deserves and will cause all of Square Enix to radically restructure towards this path going forward.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
If this game is considered "ugly" then I'm no no fucking idea when people talk about "graphics", they are even people here saying this looks PS3 game? WTF is wrong with these people?
They’re talking about tech capabilities versus artistic direction. It’s how you’ll have folks that say that Elden Ring has bad graphics, based on the fact that on a technical level, the engine is really, really bad. Like, watching the grass disappear and then get redrawn in realtime when you rotate the camera around Gatefront in Limgrave levels of bad.

The thing is of course, artistic direction is timeless. I remember when people were talking about how incredible the graphics were when Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion debuted. Man, those dungeon wall textures sure were impressive back then! Now? Not so much.

Meanwhile, Jet Set Radio, a 23 year old game, still looks great to this day thanks to outstanding art direction.

FFXVI will weather the years just fine, I expect. The art direction will carry it forward, no matter the tech limits of the engine its running on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They’re talking about tech capabilities versus artistic direction. It’s how you’ll have folks that say that Elden Ring has bad graphics, based on the fact that on a technical level, the engine is really, really bad. Like, watching the grass disappear and then get redrawn in realtime when you rotate the camera around Gatefront in Limgrave levels of bad.

The thing is of course, artistic direction is timeless. I remember when people were talking about how incredible the graphics were when Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion debuted. Man, those dungeon wall textures sure were impressive back then! Now? Not so much.

Meanwhile, Jet Set Radio, a 23 year old game, still looks great to this day thanks to outstanding art direction.

FFXVI will weather the years just fine, I expect. The art direction will carry it forward, no matter the tech limits of the engine its running on.
No offence to anyone but fuck the "tech capabilities" bullshit! I'm so fucking sick of majority of GAF obsessing over this crap.

The same BS "tech capabilities" turned good character design......
tslgpxfcubq41.jpg

In to this disgusting thing....why? "Oh it had better texture!"
WJeIaR6.png

I take good art direction over high tech graphics any fucking day.

SaniOYOYOY

I dont get the XV slander, most of the action thing here were influenced by XV.. down to the slowdown mode.

I mean of course XVI did it better

Last edited:

dulleyes

Banned
Square Enix needs to stop developing otherr AAA games whenever a Final Fantasy main entry gets developed, because its clear that almost anytime one is development, 70% of their games lose proper funding judging by how much crap they put out in between.

I swear they pulled resources away from Forspoken because FFXVI environments look 1000x better than in that game upon release.

Thabass

Square Enix needs to stop developing otherr AAA games whenever a Final Fantasy main entry gets developed, because its clear that almost anytime one is development, 70% of their games lose proper funding judging by how much crap they put out in between.

I swear they pulled resources away from Forspoken because FFXVI environments look 1000x better than in that game upon release.
Forspoken was developed by a completed business unit than FFXVI. It's not the the amount of resources that's the problem...

Danjin44

my bad, i guess i've just been playing to much ff14. i also played a bunch of ff12...
I would go further and say we got more JRPG with sci-fi setting than fantasy medieval....I would even say FFXVI's setting is very refreshing.

Last edited:

jm89

I am beginning to have a sneaking suspicion that the naysayers of this game and what has been shown.... are either trolls that were never interested in this game or are butthurt fans of some other platform.

Cause the takes I am seeing in this thread are well... hot.
You'd be surprised at the amount of salt that ff16 generating.

There are certain crazy fanbases using the physical preorders of a small retailer in japan to write off ff16 being successful in japan. It will only get worse as we head towards the release date.

unclbenn

I would go further and say we got more JRPG with sci-fi setting than fantasy medieval....I would even say FFXVI's setting is very refreshing.
yeah i guess you're right, my opinion was just skewed. i should really get around to playing the new xenoblade and star ocean games. can you recommend any of those?

Danjin44

yeah i guess you're right, my opinion was just skewed. i should really get around to playing the new xenoblade and star ocean games. can you recommend any of those?
For my taste I LOVED Xenoblade 3 but I head others also enjoyed new Star Ocean. I recommend watching gameplay footage and reviews for both then decide.

Lethal01

If this game is considered "ugly" then I'm no no fucking idea when people talk about "graphics", they are even people here saying this looks PS3 game? WTF is wrong with these people?

I think the environments are well done, but some much of it is just totally lacking shadows and look weird, Is it really that bad to go "Hey my character is clear casting a shadow, why is everything else missing a shadow" I think it holds the game back a lot.

Yes the game has great art direction the problem is the lack of shadow is going directly against it's direction.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks amazing, love the environments and what we get to see of the towns. Have been wanting to see more of this for a while since I'm already sold on the combat.

Can't believe people are upset we don't get to play as japanese boy band and it's not full of people with stupid hair
tumblr_inline_otbchdXW4q1t1zx3a_500.jpg

OMG yes please let's go back to this?

If you told me this was Dragon Age I'd possibly believe you. Just judging what's in this thread, art is generic and bland. Im sure the game will be fine

Needs more Spikey haired Bros and Waifu princesses to make the game not bland.

Sorry mang, but the art style is plenty unique and not generic. All the locations/crystals/enemies look absolute fire.

Comparing it to Dragon Age is laughable

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Needs more Spikey haired Bros and Waifu princesses to make the game not bland.

Sorry mang, but the art style is plenty unique and not generic. All the locations/crystals/enemies look absolute fire.

Comparing it to Dragon Age is laughable
Im not talking about character design at all. I'm sorry for thinking it looks like a generic wrpg. Cry if you must.

In every post I said I think the game will be good.

Im not talking about character design at all. I'm sorry for thinking it looks like a generic wrpg. Cry if you must.

In every post I said I think the game will be good.

All the environments look great. You have massive crystals, castles, savannas, english looking towns, coastal towns, and massive waterfall areas, etc.

It still looks decidedly Final Fantasy without the inconsistently over the top aesthetic.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm sorry for thinking it looks like a generic wrpg. Cry if you must.
Why? because it has medieval dark fantasy? So idid games like Dragon Dogma and Drakengard, those games looks like WRPG?

I guess shows like Vinland Saga is western cartoons?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Those types of folks are never happy with anything and had no interest in the game to begin with. They just want to bitch and whine about *something*.
Dont worry when Granblue Fantasy Relink comes close to release we will see people complain that its too anime and call it "weeb shit" because of course they do.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dont worry when Granblue Fantasy Relink comes close to release we will see people complain that its too anime and call it "weeb shit" because of course they do.

Yep. I am just going to try to remain positive. Too many folks mired in negativity or engaging in pathetic console wars. People need to learn to enjoy games instead of crying about them constantly.

Man, to think SquareSoft used to put so much effort in their art direction.
It always looked different from everything else in the market.

toq4RBVnfI6UK4BIHLXzvXakuhCjd8X6zMI-spvdhCQ.jpg

EufOogiWgAIaDd0

5694751-final-fantasy-ix-hd-wallpapers.jpg

These games were very focused. Not linear but you always had a great time. Old games, when they opened up they used to give you a air Ship to explore.

Not even a minute wasted of 40 hrs of play through. That's why they are so beloved.

This new one, I dunno how engaging it will be while traversing huge environments. Combat will make or break it I think, since SE doesn't put too much interesting stuff to break monotony.

Graphically it looks nice.

Top Bottom