• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI is “quite action-oriented,” but includes story-focused mode

At least they're still making stuff like Bravely 2 and this new tactical rpg with a complex story so I cant be too mad. Final Fantasy is trash now. Anyone who thinks FFXV was a good or even decent game, then sadly I cant respect their opinion on what's good.

Some people just can't let go of a franchise no matter how objectively awful it may be. FF fans are especially notorious for this, they just refuse to accept that the games are absolutely dreadful.

Still, they'd rather attack people like you and I instead of accept the truth which is fair enough but eventually it will sink in. I'll be remembering this thread for when FFXVI comes out because I imagine some of the people who were quick to abuse me will be awakened when that game gets raked over the coals.

bigedole

I really really enjoyed my time with VIIR, even as a long time fan of the series from the beginning. I'd really like to see VIIR's full content released before they move on to XVI, personally. I don't have a lot of faith in the team's ability to craft new/fresh stories. Speaking of which, I'd also like a rerelease of FFT with trophy support and maybe some FMVs added in :p I don't play games on my phone!

Mister Wolf

Some people just can't let go of a franchise no matter how objectively awful it may be. FF fans are especially notorious for this, they just refuse to accept that the games are absolutely dreadful.

Still, they'd rather attack people like you and I instead of accept the truth which is fair enough but eventually it will sink in. I'll be remembering this thread for when FFXVI comes out because I imagine some of the people who were quick to abuse me will be awakened when that game gets raked over the coals.

Buying FFXV was one of my biggest regrets of last gen. Despised it so much that I just used up all my money on health items, ignored any optional content, and burned through the story at a break neck pace so it could finally be over, then sold it to GameStop. If someone offered me money to play that game while providing the free copy I would turn them down. Awful, AWFUL experience.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d like a good combat engine. I just don’t want to mess around with pointless skills that don’t really do much. There was a ton of skills in XV that I ignored completely. It was pointed out, but id buy 70+ potions and as many Phoenix downs as I could get and go into any battle. I didn’t even bother with getting a new weapon. That was it and it wasn’t really exciting. I never felt like I achieved greatness or became powerful. I don’t mind action combat at all, but make it matter. Give the player weapon choices and some skills. I think all I really needed was Cura in FF7R. I want to hit a level and gain something worth using. I think the last handful of Final Fantasy games (excluding the MMO) lack that.

Last edited:
Why are JRPG fans always so insecure? They can’t help shitting on one series without praising some obscure jrpg series. Sorry telling me how much better Trails of anime shit then the mainstream choice doesn’t make you some cool gamer.

Personally, I’ve liked Ys for a long time and think Ys 9 is one of the best entires in the series. I can’t get into Trails(well I liked the PSP ones) because Falcom’s story is overbearing and also visually boring to endure. Also I can’t stand anime high school stuff anymore, at least when it comes off as so trite. I’d jump to the third game but the fans are so adamant you can’t do that. Trails fandom is becoming pretty annoying.

Either way, I thought FFXV when all was said and done was ok. Nothing great, kind of a mess but left optimistic for the future. XIV has been great since 2.0 and VIIR was probably the best the series has been in years. In general Square has turned it around recent years. I guess if you don’t like it, get mad that others are fine with FF?

Perrott

Gold Member
What's the deal with all these FF haters?

tumblr_mgp321f4tB1rruvzko1_500.gif

Why are JRPG fans so insecure he says in his opening sentence, while not quite getting the irony.

FF fans make me laugh. So stuck in the past. The world has moved on. I played Tales of Berseria the other day and that game does everything right where Final Fantasy fails. FF is dead. Kingdom Hearts is Dead. Dragon Quest is dead.

The sooner people just accept it and open their eyes to much better experiences the better. Try Last of Us 2 or Spiderman Miles Morales instead.

Mister Wolf

Why are JRPG fans so insecure he says in his opening sentence, while not quite getting the irony.

FF fans make me laugh. So stuck in the past. The world has moved on. I played Tales of Berseria the other day and that game does everything right where Final Fantasy fails. FF is dead. Kingdom Hearts is Dead. Dragon Quest is dead.

The sooner people just accept it and open their eyes to much better experiences the better. Try Last of Us 2 or Spiderman Miles Morales instead.

Don't you love the delusional ones who try to pretend like FF especially 7 isn't anime.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
VIIR was absolute trash, nobody liked it.

XV was worse than XIII and that's saying something

XIV is a niche MMO and doesn't hold a candle to Warcraft or ESO.

XVI will release to negative views (except for famitsu who will give it a maximum score) and FF will fade away into oblivion as it should have done after the mess that was XII came out.

Square Enix is done.
Homer Simpson Animation GIF by FOX TV

Tales of Besseria does everything right?

This is too much.

I even liked that game, but even most Tales fans agree it was a dead end continuation of the Xilla formula. That the series needs a shake up and may get with Arise.

If all the female characters are on the MC's nuts then you're probably watching a harem anime.

He doesn't even have a personality and they all love him. Just a moody emo with a big sword yet all the ladies want to swing off it.

I think that's why a lot of nerds can't get girlfriends. They see how Cloud acts in FFVIIR for instance and then they try to replicate it in real life.

FStubbs

I'll reserve judgement but it'll be awhile before I have a PS5 or PC with a RTX 30** to run it.

This is too much.

I even liked that game, but even most Tales fans agree it was a dead end continuation of the Xilla formula. That the series needs a shake up and may get with Arise.
The hope is that with this being the biggest gap I can ever remember between Tales games that we'll see something great.

Last edited:

This is too much.

I haven't played any of the Tales games but what I saw from the Arise announcement from what 2019? I have vesperia definitive edition on Switch and I put around 5 or so hours into it and I haven't picked it up since, I heard it's pretty good but I have way too many games on my backlog at this point.

Lethal01

I know right. Throw in some flashy visuals and people will say anything.

The visuals aren't what makes it great, The battle system is just far better and would still be better even if it it was running on a ps1.
Characters are more fun to but that's more subjective.

People have been saying square should just stick to a purely turn-based gameplay system for years and when XV happened they doubled down and acted like Action and RPG elements are oil and water rather than it just being the company fucking up while trying to make a new battle system instead of sticking to the same old formula.

THe FF7R came out and made it clear how much these elements can enhance one another.

My only worry is that the team making this game actually listed to you guys and decided to just make a full on action game instead of combining it with rpg mechanics. If they did, the game could still be great but I'll be more interested in Remake part 2.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I trust FFXVI will have much better combat than both FFXV and FFVIIR.

Ryota Suzuki (Dragon's Dogma,DMC4) who is suppossedly working on XVI is very talented although i would like to hear some official confirmation first that he's working on it before i get too excited.

Mister Wolf

I trust FFXVI will have much better combat than both FFXV and FFVIIR.

Ryota Suzuki (Dragon's Dogma,DMC4) who is suppossedly working on XVI is very talented although i would like to hear some official confirmation first that he's working on it before i get too excited.

I hope you're right. I also like that this game has gone back to a medieval fantasy setting. That's my preference for Final Fantasy.

Mister Wolf

The visuals aren't what makes it great, The battle system is just far better and would still be better even if it it was running on a ps1.
Characters are more fun to but that's more subjective.

People have been saying square should just stick to a purely turn-based gameplay system for years and when XV happened they doubled down and acted like Action and RPG elements are oil and water rather than it just being the company fucking up while trying to make a new battle system instead of sticking to the same old formula.

THe FF7R came out and made it clear how much these elements can enhance one another.

My only worry is that the team making this game actually listed to you guys and decided to just make a full on action game instead of combining it with rpg mechanics. If they did, the game could still be great but I'll be more interested in Remake part 2.

I expected XV to play like Kingdom Hearts 1 which is an actual competent Action-RPG with magic, melee attacking, dodging(invulnerability frames), and parrying that rewards you for understanding enemy patterns and having good dexterity to utilize your skills to win.

A.Romero

I found XV to be really unbalanced, specially at the beginning. Definitely too hard for new comers or people that don't play games regularly. Is not that the game is difficult by the inputs of the combat system but a lot of the loops where just a chore.

This sounds really promising. I'm willing to bet there will be a robust combat system that will have an easy mode that will work similar to how FFXV handles it.

Don’t think it will be hard to top XV’s battle system. I like that game enough, but I just don’t know what that battle system was.

VIIR though I think will be hard to top. But it really is continuing ideas from XIII, so I hope they come up with their own spin.

I just hope it has party members.

fallingdove

Please no. They said the same shit about FFXV. That newbies could enjoy the combat and the story (lol what story), but FFXV ended up being the most frustrating, most unbalanced action RPG of all time for me. Its not that you could really die, you could but it took a long ass time. Its that the game was tedious, every hit would insta down you, and you were forced to throw a phoenix down, but your max HP was limited to like 30% until you threw an elixer. why. Why not just dialing back the damage, make it so easy that you hardly get knocked out instead of constantly having to throw items breaking the pace? The game had nothing to do with skill, unlike KH2-3, I think enemies would just phantom hit you anyway. OH, and elixers, you know, those rare full cure/mp restorative items of past games, they cost like 400 gil a piece in FFXV. Why, because this shit is unbalanced as hell. The devs must've given up and just throw a shit ton of free cure items in here to counter the shitty mechanics.

The bottom line is, I hope FFXVI steers clear from this road. If it has difficulty settings like KH I'm fine. Really, KH3 post patch on Critical and with Limit Cut battles is my favourite KH in terms of gameplay. Its flawless. If you were kind of dissapointed by the game, and its okay to do so, at least try it with the patches and CM.

FFVII combat is okay. Its bad if you treat it as an action game and think rolling will have iframes etc. No, in FFVII you're supposed to defend and take minimal damage as you would in turn based fights. And then you strike with the right moves, switch characters, and build stagger meter. That non playable party members are so useless is part of this; you're supposed to take the reins which is why you can instantly switch with d pad. Building ATB is a matter of quickly attacking a bit, and switching up, rinse repeat. I must say I enjoyed the combat. Its the only part of R I enjoyed.

Isn't the combat designer from Dragon's Dogma? I don't think we have to worry about getting the action-lite battle systems we typically get with No-no-mura.

YukiOnna

I mean, XV had two entirely different teams and lead staff involved on it so the battle system was a mess with no time and they were forced to include whatever remained of the original Versus. VIIR had set out to be a command based hybrid early on and it worked since they had Teruki Endo to help with the real-time aspect of it. XVI looks very much like DMC/DD, but there's a lot of pausing in the combat so it's probably not full on action game and I wouldn't expect Yoshi-P of all people to make it lose its RPG roots when he's a fan of early FF games and Tactics.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I expected XV to play like Kingdom Hearts 1 which is an actual competent Action-RPG with magic, melee attacking, dodging(invulnerability frames), and parrying that rewards you for understanding enemy patterns and having good dexterity to utilize your skills to win.

Woops, guess I mixed up you comment with another. That said, I don't think every game needs to have a roll that makes you invincible. It's fine for some game to require you to ACTUALLY dodge (move out of the way) rather than just giving you the ability to be intangible, that's really getting old.

Anyway, we agree XV was a mess, but I say VIIR does a far better job than KH1 in combining action and rpg.

Kumomeme

basically nothing new being told here. obviously it will be heavy story focus and action oriented game. im baffled to see someone act like first time hear about this.

that said, there more define a final fantasy than a combat system. FFXIV is good example where it has more 'ff soul' than any modern final fantasy and FFXVI, is developed by same people. no need to worry.

just hope there atleast some kind of A.I party member there.

they got former capcom devs in there like FFVII Remake so there should be good combat there. hold circle joke is kind of old though.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Woops, guess I mixed up you comment with another. That said, I don't think every game needs to have a roll that makes you invincible. It's fine for some game to require you to ACTUALLY dodge (move out of the way) rather than just giving you the ability to be intangible, that's really getting old.

Anyway, we agree XV was a mess, but I say VIIR does a far better job than KH1 in combining action and rpg.

If it doesn't have a dodge with "I" frames then its hard for me to consider it a good action or action-rpg. Every "action" game you know that's lauded has it from Devil May Cry to Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I mean, XV had two entirely different teams and lead staff involved on it so the battle system was a mess with no time and they were forced to include whatever remained of the original Versus. VIIR had set out to be a command based hybrid early on and it worked since they had Teruki Endo to help with the real-time aspect of it. XVI looks very much like DMC/DD, but there's a lot of pausing in the combat so it's probably not full on action game and I wouldn't expect Yoshi-P of all people to make it lose its RPG roots when he's a fan of early FF games and Tactics.

Yeah, don't see the point in looking at XV when we now have VIIR to see what the system looks like when actually done right. I'm praying you are right when it comes to XVI not being full action though. I'm saying this as a guy who loves full action games, we need more games that are experimenting with new and unique battle systems.

YukiOnna

basically nothing new being told here. obviously it will be heavy story focus and action oriented game

that said, there more define a final fantasy than a combat system. FFXIV is good example where it has more 'ff soul' than any modern final fantasy and FFXVI, is developed by same people. no need to worry.

just hope there atleast some kind of A.I party member there.

they got former capcom devs in there like FFVII Remake so there should be good combat there. hold circle joke is kind of old though.
If they got VIIR to have party member switch, I'm sure XVI will be the same. Although, it depends on the story given Clive's revenge quest can be looked at as entirely solo story wise. I doubt it though.

Lethal01

If it doesn't have a dodge with "I" frames then its hard for me to consider it a good action or action-rpg. Every "action" game you know that's lauded has it from Devil May Cry to Dark Souls.

It's definitely something that all the popular action games are using right now but just because it's a popular mechanic doesn't mean it's needed for a game to feel good. That's like saying a racing game can't be good if there are no bikes.

It's crazy to think that there is only a single way to handle dodging and I want more devs to explore other systems.

Kumomeme

If they got VIIR to have party member switch, I'm sure XVI will be the same. Although, it depends on the story given Clive's revenge quest can be looked at as entirely solo story wise. I doubt it though.
even in FFXV they add the features right? so there chances that it might exist. however, despite how its gonna turn out, i have faith on these people. FFXIV mmo for example basically just single controllable character. the instance fight full of A.I and yet it doesnt degrade the game to be a 'final fantasy'. Playing The Last Story's for example where the combat also goes action instead of turn based also give strong 'final fantasy vibe'. so people no need to worry and dwell to much on turn based system. but honestly if this is handled by other division i might getting anxious too.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

It's definitely something that all the popular action games are using right now but just because it's a popular mechanic doesn't mean it's needed for a game to feel good. That's like saying a racing game can't be good if there are no bikes.

It's crazy to think that there is only a single way to handle dodging and I want more devs to explore other systems.

Its not popular, its a staple. Always has been.

Azurro

Banned
Why do they have to keep doing this to FF games? Just go back to its roots please. You want an action game so bad, just create another franchise. Not hard. Leave FF alone.

FF7 Remake's combat was great, what's wrong with that? Turn based battle systems are basically obsolete.

YukiOnna

even in FFXV they add the features right? so there chances that it might exist. however, despite how its gonna turn out, i have faith on these people. FFXIV mmo for example basically just single controllable character. the instance fight full of A.I and yet it doesnt degrade the game to be a 'final fantasy'. Playing The Last Story's for example where the combat also goes action instead of turn based also give strong 'final fantasy vibe'. so people no need to worry and dwell to much on turn based system. but well honestly if this is handled by other division i might getting anxious too.
Oh you're right. They added character switch as a skill, lol. Didn't even know about that, but I'm of the same opinion. I don't mind either or (party or single character) as long as it's fun to play with options, which I'm sure it'll have.
If this game comes out this year...
Probably early next year. They said major information reveal is this year.

Lethal01

Its not popular, its a staple. Always has been.

Maybe, but a game doesn't require it to be good and going without it opens up to be just as fun in other ways meaning the game will feel both good and unique. Metal Gear Rising is a good example had an optional dodge skill, but the entire game is built so you don't need to use it makes it feel great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom