• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI - Your hopes, dreams and fears!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
B-b-b-but FF14 and FF11...

one is at the end of its legs, and other other thriving :p most of ff11 team will get moved to ff14 or spread to other teams. FF11 team will get reduced (if it hasn't been already) to like 8-10 people to keep servers running and whatnot, it's not getting any new content.

sn00zer

If they go back to turn base, I hope they do something radically different from traditional FF turn based. FF12 showed how prescriptive traditional FF mechanics are.

Reset

If it's turn based then it should be for handhelds/mobile. If they want it to be for home consoles then it needs to be an action rpg.

Koozek

My hopes? I hope it's not beeing announced until ~E3 2017(+)t.

But seriously I'd like to see a world in the veins of FFIX with animal like characters and fantastical kingdoms. I wouldn't mind a return to a turn based battle system but I'd much rather play an action-RPG nowadays.

You're finally here, too!? Servuuus!

SE's ability to not self-sabotage large projects to the point of triage is all three.

They've shown that in comments and ideas like the airship comments and getting Eidos dev houses to do MORE features even after the Road Trip that they won't stop fiddling the EXACT same ways XII was. Save those ideas for XVI or our grandchildren wont live to see that game.

Aters

I don't mind Toriyama. I hate FFXIII because it's linear, and that's more of a technical issue. Snow is terrible but I think Squall and Tidus are equally annoying. I quite like the setting and battle system. Give the man another chance.

I'm just preparing myself for the harsh truth, because Toriyama is going to be heavily involved in FFXVI whether we want it or not.

Mar Nosso

Banned
My only real fear is that they will try to surpass XV, and it won't be released until the end of the next generation

I don't think they will strive for that. They are certainly aware of the laborious process for both themselves and the fans regarding FFXV. So I believe they'll want to pump out a very competent FF in the least amount of time possible, while still making sure it's up to the standards set by the series.

-Released before 2019 (pfft)
-Not part of some new trilogy or some series inside the series
-A new setting never seen before in FF

Agreed on all accounts. Aboslutely.

Mr. RHC

I just want a gorgeous female lead for Final Fantasy 16 that has a likeable personality. I'm fine with turn based and real time combat ;)

We can't have an ugly female lead? I want an ugly female lead.

My, I see this thread is going places already.

... actually I would totally be in for a Brahne spin-off!

bxDP31g.png

Quite the tragic character, isn't she? Sort of a Donald Trump character? Make Alexandria Great Again!

Trumpreactionface.gif
6H7dBbe.gif

Fiction and reality not so different.

GrtXF5A.jpg

4wj4ZRv.jpg

Final Fantasy IX-2 - Brahne Returns.

J Range

I think its time to reset and make FF new again. Create some new excitement after the drawn out affair of XV. Id appreciate a new, unique, and daring aesthetic, something out there. Id like a return to a mixed party with variety again.

Id like them to continue doing action rpgs. But if they dont opt for full arpg, i hope its the opposite, and just turn based. I really hate the inbetween atb style. Pick one or the other.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I don't mind Toriyama. I hate FFXIII because it's linear, and that's more of a technical issue. Snow is terrible but I think Squall and Tidus are equally annoying. I quite like the setting and battle system. Give the man another chance.

I'm just preparing myself for the harsh truth, because Toriyama is going to be heavily involved in FFXVI whether we want it or not.

If the hack is going to be involved in XVI may it be as an co-event planner or co-scenario writer at most. I'm not aware of anything he's currently working on so that is indeed a sad possibility. But I'd prefer if he wasn't, at all.

I think its time to reset and make FF new again. Create some new excitement after the drawn out affair of XV. Id appreciate a new, unique, and daring aesthetic, something out there. Id like a return to a mixed party with variety again.

Id like them to continue doing action rpgs. But if they dont opt for full arpg, i hope its the opposite, and just turn based. I really hate the inbetween atb style. Pick one or the other.

Every FF is a reset. And XV is probably the biggest reset the franchise has ever seen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For composer:

- Nobuo Uematsu doing the theme
- Masashi Hamauzu doing the rest and variations

For theme:

Not Ivalice (personally thought it was boring when I played FFXII). Make it new and fresh.

Byvar

Honestly, I just want Mistwalker's new game instead. The real dream team is there: Hironobu Sakaguchi as director (and story & game system ideas), Uematsu as composer, and Fujisaka as the main artist.

Naoshi Mizuta should be the next composer based on his FFXIII-2 and LR work.
Agreed, Mizuta's music has been consitently great. Based on his more recent tracks from FFXI and his works for Lightning Returns (every track from the Wildlands especially) he even seems to be improving. I hope they pick him as the next FF composer (or Uematsu).
Contrary to Hamauzu/Sakimoto, he really knows that keeping his music simple is a better way to express evoke emotions through music. That's a really good trait he shares with Uematsu. As for Takeharu Ishimoto, I liked some of his music for Crisis Core and only a few tracks from Type-0. He's good, but a lot of his music is just way too loud/bombastic. Out of all the composers that have experience composing for FF and that aren't called Nobuo Uematsu, Mizuta is clearly the best choice for a new FF.

Apart from that I mostly agree with OP's choices. My hopes for the scenario team (script writer, event planners, etc) is that they are able to create a story that matches the quirkiness and pacing of Hironobu Sakaguchi's drafts, e.g. FF9, The Last Story (he had a big influence on Chrono Trigger's and FFIV-FFVIII's events too) The story really flowed in those games. They never got boring, and I think that's what caused Final Fantasy to become so popular.

I also hope the next FF doesn't have Nomura's or Yoshida's character designs. It's not like there are only two artists at Square Enix. Perhaps hire a mangaka, like Mistwalker sometimes does and Square did in the past? (Mistwalker had Akira Toriyama for Blue Dragon and Takehiko Inoue for Lost Odyssey)

Slime

Banned
Swords, castles, pointy hats, flying boats, chocobos, etc.

Hell, something that looks something like an offline FFXIV would be great.

Director: Motomu Toriyama

Composer: Generic orchestral score made by Motomu Toriyama

Producer: Motomu Toriyama

Writer: Motomu Toriyama

dhZzOzx.gif

Serious answer:

Director: Get some new talent in there. We just had an entire console generation of Toriyama, Ito hasn't been heard from since XII 10 years ago, and Normura is tied up with the VII remake. They've let Tabata step up in a major way, so let some other upcoming director step up to the plate from XVI.

Composer: While I can never get enough of Hamauzu; Shimomura, Mizuta, Suzuki, Sekito, the Nier composers, honestly anyone from Square Enix's all-star cast of composers would be more than fine by me. Except for the Dissidia composers. Wasn't a fan of them.

Producer: Yoshinori Kitase, provided he gives a shit this time around.

Writer: Either farm that shit out or get the Nier staff on it. Their current stable of main writers have put out some real stinkers.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I think we need to accept that unless FFXV's battle system is crazy fun and most people adhere to it, a return to the ATB will happen! Obviously the classic turn based ATB isn't tolerable these days, not for a mass audience that Final Fantasy plays to. It would have to either be FFXII's take on it or FFXIII's.

I'd rather have FFXII's, but with a much diminished reliance on Quickenings. I mean, you didn't even need to use summons or magic in that game. Just spam quickenings til kingdom comes! Got boring quickly. So a more balanced and optimised system please, if it goes that way.

Mar Nosso

Banned
My, I see this thread is going places already.

... actually I would totally be in for a Brahne spin-off!

bxDP31g.png

Quite the tragic character, isn't she? Sort of a Donald Trump character? Make Alexandria Great Again!

Trumpreactionface.gif
6H7dBbe.gif

Fiction and reality not so different.

GrtXF5A.jpg

4wj4ZRv.jpg

Final Fantasy IX-2 - Brahne Returns.

She was a quirkier and a more interesting villain than Kuja ever dreamed of being. He always felt very "generic FF villain" to me. Brahne should have been the true bad! xD

Koozek

Honestly, I just want Mistwalker's new game instead. The real dream team is there: Hironobu Sakaguchi as director (and story & game system ideas), Uematsu as composer, and Fujisaka as the main artist.

Agreed, Mizuta's music has been consitently great. Based on his more recent tracks from FFXI and his works for Lightning Returns (every track from the Wildlands especially) he even seems to be improving. I hope they pick him as the next FF composer (or Uematsu).
Contrary to Hamauzu/Sakimoto, he really knows that keeping his music simple is a better way to express evoke emotions through music. That's a really good trait he shares with Uematsu. As for Takeharu Ishimoto, I liked some of his music for Crisis Core and only a few tracks from Type-0. He's good, but a lot of his music is just way too loud/bombastic. Out of all the composers that have experience composing for FF and that aren't called Nobuo Uematsu, Mizuta is clearly the best choice for a new FF.

Apart from that I mostly agree with OP's choices. My hopes for the scenario team (script writer, event planners, etc) is that they are able to create a story that matches the quirkiness and pacing of Hironobu Sakaguchi's drafts, e.g. FF9, The Last Story (he had a big influence on Chrono Trigger's and FFIV-FFVIII's events too) The story really flowed in those games. They never got boring, and I think that's what caused Final Fantasy to become so popular.

I also hope the next FF doesn't have Nomura's or Yoshida's character designs. It's not like there are only two artists at Square Enix. Perhaps hire a mangaka, like Mistwalker sometimes does and Square did in the past? (Mistwalker had Akira Toriyama for Blue Dragon and Takehiko Inoue for Lost Odyssey)
I forgot to also mention Mitsuto Suzuki who is great and worked really well with Mizuta on FFXIII-2 and LR. He brings a nice energy with his electronic, experimental sound. Both of them together would be dope.

I want to go back to the days of the first PlayStation console knowing that when I finish this Final Fantasy game, there's another one to look forward to or maybe even a couple more before the generation is over. The 5th generation had 3 mainline Final Fantasies after all, the 6th had 2 and the 7th had 1 (not counting the online ones as they're altogether different products). For this current 8th generation we should be expecting at the very least 2 mainline games, one being the upcoming FFXV and the other, rather obviously, FFXVI. It's time to be excited about the possibilities a totally brand new Final Fantasy game may bring regarding story, setting and gameplay.
We had three of them last generation, not 1. Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns. I seriously doubt we'll get XVI this generation, though, because the only reason we got three last-gen was they could reuse the world-building and some assets from the previous games (though the actual games were each quite different from each other). And we're already getting both XV and VII Remake this generation.

Aters

We had three of them last generation, not 1. Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns. I seriously doubt we'll get XVI this generation, though, because the only reason we got three last-gen was they could reuse the world-building and some assets from the previous games (though the actual games were each quite different from each other). And we're already getting both XV and VII Remake this generation.

FFXIII-2 and LR are heavily outsourced.

Ydelnae

-Please take advantage of the assets and technology already created for XV. I'm not saying that they should use Luminous or copy paste all the assets and enemies, but reusing some tree models, repurposing some textures or even tweaking some enemies won't harm anyone and would speed up development.
-Fairytale setting with the classic FF elements like crystal castles, big towers and dragons. I would like an approach to this concepts similar to the way The Witcher does it. Maybe an IX approach but with realistic graphics?
-I wouldn't mind the same combat system as XV. Definitely not turn based. Maybe add elements from the Tales of combat system.
-For the character designs, incorporate Amano elements into more "western" designs. Find a middle ground into iconic designs and realistic characters.
-Doesn't have to be open-world or have unnecessary big areas just for the sake of it. Don't make it linear like XIII or X, but don't waste time creating Xenoblade wannabe landscapes if they are going to be empty.

And then make XVII set in space. Boom.

J Range

Every FF is a reset. And XV is probably the biggest reset the franchise has ever seen.

15 has not come out yet. Weve not had a reset for 10 years, its just been 13 sequels. I guess im saying, i want them to continue hitting reset like they used to. Say all you have to for 15, and then go to 16. No sequels.

I actually have no fears. I loved XIII, warts and all. I liked the world, loved the battle system, didn't hate the characters, and I'm screaming for a PS4 port of the trilogy so I can platinum them all over again. XIII-2 was a let down in both gameplay and plot, but still fun enough. And LR was fantastic if you ignored the plot. I've had a shedload of fun with Episode Duscae, and I can only imagine the full game being even better.

All I want are two things:

- A different battle system. I love the ATB system, and the games that use it, but the abandonment of it from X onwards was a great choice. I look forward to learning something new.
- No Sequels. They never turn out well. The plot just gets convoluted and...awful. FFVII, FFX, FFXIII, etc. all turn out badly. Except for maybe XII, but that's because it's forgettable. They either ruin the original plot, or get held back by the original game.

Logash

Can't say anything cause I still got hopes and fears about FFXV that have to be addressed. Maybe turned based? Too much to ask for I'm sure.

Genio88

Hopes that it gets released at least this summer, dreams that it gets released tomorrow, fears that it won't get released this year

Aters

We should make a poll here.

Structure:
-a trilogy or something similar so that they can reuse assets and speed up the development like most modern RPGs
-each mainline entry is totally standalone, a proud and costly tradition of Final Fantasy

Basic:
-single player
-MMO
-a combination like The Division

Setting:
-medieval (FFI-FFV, FFIX, FFXI, FFXIV)
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-near future & reality (FFVII, FFXV, Igni's philosophy)
-futuristic (FFVIII, FFXIII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-exotic and hard to categorize (FFX, FFX-2)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-old turn base (FFI-FFIII, FFX)
-ATB (FFIV-FFIX, FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2)
-ATB but people can move (FFXI, FFXII, FFXIV)
-action (FFXV)
-something new (LRFFXIII)

People's opinion about what FF should be like is very diverse. Whatever FFXVI is, many people will be pissed off.

So the cast will be the Summons? That's different. Which summons would you choose for the cast?

ultros and gilgamesh

Doomtrain.

Since you still haven't and other people have, I guess I'll choose mine.

Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh, Alexander, (New Summon), (New Summon)

Bahamut as a villain

I think a cast like this would fit better for a spinoff than a main because with a summon based cast you're not going to have a job system, the ability to summon, nor the ability to have everyone be jack of trades if you want to be faithful of summons in the games, most are based off of a single element so they'd only be able to cast that one spell line.

If I were doing the job system I would have:
Thief, Knight, Ninja, Alchemist, Black Mage, Blue Mage, White Mage, Summoner, Beastmaster, Time Mage, Monk, Gambler, Pictomancer

If the characters were predetermined:
Blue Mage (Main character), Dancer, Paladin, Monk, Summoner, Ranger, Black Mage, Ninja.

Mar Nosso

Banned

Structure:
-a trilogy or something similar so that they can reuse assets and speed up the development like most modern RPGs
-each mainline entry is totally standalone, a proud and costly tradition of Final Fantasy

Basic:
-single player
-MMO

Setting:
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-action (FFXV)

People's opinion about what FF should be like is very diverse. Whatever FFXVI is, many people will be pissed off.

I'll bite!

Basic: Single player
Setting: Steampunk (FFVI)
System: ATB with character movement (FFXII)

Boom! Awesome game. xD

Koozek

Here we go:

Structure:

Basic:
-single player
-MMO

Setting:
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-action (FFXV)

Structure:

Basic:
-single player
-MMO

Setting:
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-action (FFXV)

There we go.

SPAW

Structure:

Basic:
-single player
-MMO

Setting:
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-action (FFXV)

Mostly prefer a single player installment, but something along dragons dogma pawn system (but with other players instead) would be very interesting.

I've only received two replies and I got two totally different answers.
I think SE would just stop making new mainline FFs if they actually carry out the survey and see the results.

Heh, FF fandom a true melting pot. No one is ever going to agree on series' direction, but it keeps things interesting. Healthy to encounter other viewpoints.

Also, I'd be open to a mainline tactics if it were much faster paced than original Tactics. Maybe something more Valkyria Chronicles-ish.

And Yoshi P's take on single player too. Really, I'll be happy with anything other than another Toriyama vehicle.

Light_End

Banned
I'm really intrigued by the "Agni's Philosophy" concept, so a chance to see it fully realized would be pretty cool. I don't really care who's directing it as long as they manage to get their vision truly fledged out.

Yoko Shimomura on the soundtrack would be godlike though. She's been in a lot of projects these days already, so maybe it would be a bit of an overload, but I can't ever get enough marvels from her <3

images

I've always loved Agni's Philosophy, but i've never quite understood how it's a good candidate for a numbered title. Aside from the Luminous showcase, there has been nothing really interesting from a gaming standpoint about it.

Kind of mirrors my thoughts on all the anger (?) surrounding Stella/Luna in XV, before she was even given enough dialogue to be anything other than a model render.

My XVI checklist :

- Zero connection with XIII or XV. Even if XV turns out critically to be FFVI/VII tier (lol). I'm tired of sequel FFs.

- Use XV as a good building platform...for real this time. The technology, the pipeline, the criticisms, ect.

- Don't care what the battle system is as long as your teammates are controllable. Final Fantasy was moving in a great direction from FFX (in-battle switching) to FFXII (Full party wipe required for game over) before this massive regression with XIII and now XV being story-driven games where the controlled character gets KO'd and my teammates cease existing.

- Yoshida wondertwins please! Dont care how or where. Akihiko Yoshida for lead characters, Naoki Yoshida as whatever you want, the man is clearly capable. Hell put him at the lead, i'll feel no fear.

- Yo, I just want a good story, not the second coming of whatever. I don't believe I have ever been (really) emotionally moved by a storyline that advertised itself as being intentionally emotionally moving. Praying that XV hasn't already doomed itself in that regard...

- On that note, please stop appointing Nomura writing positions. The more I age, the less I enjoy his work. Kingdom Hearts is a carpetbomb of WTF and the most childish of heartstring plucks.

- Get whomever directed XII's scenario as consultant for writing. Everytime he reads someone monologue about friendship (KH) or the power of hope (XIII), he gets to pie them in the face and have them sit in a corner.

Also, hi NeoGaf :V

Top Bottom