• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final month to E3 2012: GAF's Predictions

BurntPork

Banned
I seriously believe that:

1.) Sony will announce the PS4.

2.) Microsoft will announce the Xbox 720.

3.) Nintendo will announce the release date of the Wii U.

I think all of the companies' denials up to this point are simply untrue and meant entirely to prevent speculation and reserve enthusiasm for the official unveilings at E3.
Why would Nintendo lie about not announcing launch details?

Ikael

Microsoft

- Halo 4
- Final Fantasy Versus going multi platafform. Trollfaces and bans will arise
- A stupid, overexpensive sports - related event / collaboration with the Microsoft brand / Xboxlive (probably London Olympics related) that will take the focus of 50% of their conference and that noone will give two shits about
- Kinect shovelware
- New first party (or second party) franchise
- New console or at least, some kind of teaser. Lo and behold, it will focus around "new gaming experiences" rather than horsepower. People will figdet their fingers nervously

Sony

- Lots of first party studio exclusives for PSVita (Twisted Metal and Locoroco are two of my guesses); plus some new franchises that we didn't heard about. 3rd party support for the machine, however, will be limited to ports and won't look too bright...
- Sony Smash Bros Vita - PS3 conectivity!
- Release date and hands on "The Last guardian". Man tears will be cried.
- A trove of first party, indie - like titles for the last years of the PS3. Respectful nods among the audience and some really great ideas, but people will wonder about the PS4's future

Nintendo

- In - depth look into the WiiU. Release date, launch titles and some new cool nifty capcities (such as the 3D scanning of objects that we saw on the leaked Rabbids trailer)
- New online system. It will probably be a little tad less cucumbersome thant he current one, and will push for some type of App Store . It will probably include some WTF- inducing bizarre yet cool twists a la streetpass, too. Partnership with Valve & Steam? It could be the most powerful megaton of the conference depending on how is handled
- Tons of PS360 to WiiU ports. No big third party exclusive title outside of a few half hearted experimental efforts. We will all have Wii launch flashbacks
- Solid first party array of titles for the launch. I expect to see news about a Pikmin sequel; a Miyamoto casual focused game a la Wiisports of short, and one big "forgotten" franchise aimed at hardcore gamers (F-Zero sequel? Startropics? Yes, please, gimme!)
- Most stuff about the 3DS will be focused in 3rd Japanese party exclusives. We might get some Dragonquest / Final Fantasy remake for the machine

Also, I want my Persona 5 in whichever platafform it comes out, pretty fucking please T_T

Ok, im going to predict theres going to be a teaser trailer for Super Smash Bros 4 ala the teaser trailer of Brawl that will blow peoples minds even if most of it is CG (the game is fucking far of done). Characters revelead in the same vein as Pit and Wario in the last trailer will be (but not contained to) Little Mac and Ridley. It will finish with some kind of hype interaction with the 3DS version instead of the show of a third party character like Snake.
If this happens during this E3 there will be even more threads of SSB4 vs Sony Battle Royale.

There will be a WiiU launch game from a third party that will be a total surprise to all.

FFVII Remake. Please god let this come true. I have been waiting since I was like 12 for this shit to come out.
cIHMd.gif

guek

Banned
pain.gif

All of the big 3 will disappoint overall, but Sony, MS, and Nintendo fans will all have at least a little something to point to that only people who are fans in the first place will really enjoy

Nintendo
- The Wii U will be a disappointment.

Sony
- The Last of Us will be the overall most impressive game of E3.

Microsoft
- The Microsoft conference will be the worst of the big three.

For some reason, I'm overly hyped for this E3. Not entirely sure why. Last E3 it kind of just happened and while I was intrigued, I wasn't necessarily pumped. But I'm really feeling the anticipation lately. Anyone else echo my sentiments?

I posted about this in the thread about Pachter talking about Microsoft but I think it fits in here as it will likely be the most entertaining and GIF'd part of E3 if they do this demo during their conference.

Another program, Kinect NatGeo TV, makes wildlife documentaries fully immersive. For instance, a documentary about owls shows how they catch bugs, then asks viewers to stand up and try to catch bugs on the screen themselves. The camera captures the viewer's image and adds an owl face and wings to their body. When the viewer flaps his arms, it looks like he's an owl about to take flight. Then, when crickets fly near the viewer-turned-owl's face, he has to move and dive to catch them in his virtual mouth.

GlamFM

Banned
Microsoft

Media hub and partnerships I wont care for.
Kinect stuff I wont care for.
Halo 4.
Forza something.
Maybe something new from Epic.
Timed exclusive DLC for GTA V.

Yka

Nintendo games at E3 2012:

Wii U

- Wii U Play (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- F-Zero (Monster Games, 2012/Launch)
- Star Fox (Retro Studios, 2013)
- Eternal Darkness 2 (Silicon Knights, 2013)
- Yoshi's Island (Good-Feel, 2013)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Grezzo, 2013)
- New Miyamoto/Koizumi IP (EAD Tokyo 2., 2013)

+

- Pikmin 3 (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (EAD, 2012/Launch)

3DS

- Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 (Retro Studios, 2012)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 3D (EAD, 2013)
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong (NST, 2013)
- Metroid Dread (EAD, 2013)

+

- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (EAD, 2012)
- Paper Mario (Intelligent Systems, 2012)
- Luigi's Mansion 2 (Next Level Games, 2012)
- Animal Crossing (EAD, 2012)

Exclusive third-party Wii U games:

- Dragon Quest X HD (Square Enix, 2012/Japanese launch)
- Sonic Universe (Sonic Team/EAD Tokyo 1., 2013)
- Kingdom Hearts 3 (Square Enix, 2013)
- Monster Hunter 4 HD (Capcom, 2013)

Believe! Hmm... okay, maybe half of those new games will be announced.

In production but no presence at E3 2012:

Wii U

- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD (EAD Tokyo 1., 2013)
- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2013)
- New Takahashi RPG (Monolith Soft, 2013)
- The Legend of Zelda (EAD, 2014)

3DS

- Kirby's Adventure 2 (HAL, 2013)
- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2013)
- Advance Wars (Intelligent Systems, 2013)
- Mario Party (Nd Cube, 2013)

Prediction. Mostly disappointments. I think most companies will be showing off games we already know about. I think most companies are working or about to work on next gen soon. Hopefully next year is better.

Zia

I think Nintendo will have the best lineup of all the platform holders. Even they, who seem to exist in a bubble of ignorance, have to realize there's a lot of deserved skepticism surrounding their new console. They need to have a solid launch lineup, and they need to show games. A "new" New Super Mario Bros grotesquery isn't going to cut it, and we should be seeing a couple good launch titles.

Microsoft's MO will be Kinect, interconnectivity, social media and the living room. They'll sate the "hardcore" with Halo, Forza, some sort of CoD exclusivity, etc. All the dull stuff they roll out every year. A press release will go out about XBL games and there will be some very nice surprises, but it will barely be touched upon at the conference if at all.

Sony will show a lot of B-tier games that will get the faithful excited but will have everyone else scratching their heads.

Not too hopeful... : (

Epcott

Sony:
Strong Vita focus
New IP's announced (only 2 or 3 we have not heard about) so mostly about games known
No PS4 talk
HBO Go & Max Go and new services announcement
Discount PS3 w/2year subscription plan announcement
Infamous 3, Killzone 4, DCU 2.0, new Colony Wars (SCE Studio Liverpool WO 2048 team for Vita)

MS:

Mention of $99 380
Halo 4, Kinect, Halo for Kinect, Banjo for Kinect (first person platformer), new services.
Surprise clip of a game in development for the next gen console to close out with

Nintendo:
Wii launch titles/launch date/box of tissues
Games in development for Wii U
2 Titles for Wii
Dragon Quest X release date and subscription rates
3DS game overload and redesign shown
Surprises: Retro doing Starfox and Sega doing FZero for Wii U

Oh...
And Koji Pro showing MGS5: Diamond Dogs (or whatever), Castlevania LOS2, Ogre being a Cobra game, all multiplatform.
ZOE collection for 3DS announced just for Kojitrolling.

FStop7

Banned
This is my prediction for reactions to all conferences.

iDjgxM17QrRoB.gif

As for what we'll see. A lot of arm flapping. A lot of Revengeance. A lot of clapping. Hopefully some new Bioshock Infinite.

Sadsic

Microsoft

- Halo 4 trailer, release date, demo, maybe limited edition 360/halo 4 package
- Double downing of Kinect, at least one Kinect shown that's interesting/worthwhile
- Fable/Forza shows up
- Exclusive content on multiple mulitplatform games
- At least one of the new studios shows off what they're making
- At least one new third party game that's exclusive
- Windows 8 compatibility shown
- New, interesting XBLA titles
- 360 price cut of some sort
- Hint of next console, but not shown

Sony

- Strong Vita presence, including price drop or bundle
- Many major Playstation franchises on Vita from B teams that are currently unknown
- Final Fantasy's portable offerings are all shown in detail
- The Last Guardian dated for Q1/2 2013
- God of War and The Last of Us are main focuses on the PS3 front
- Sony Smash Bros trailer/demo
- Mild Playstation Move presence
- At least 1 new 1st party title from an old franchise
- PS4 not shown, not hinted at

Nintendo

- Obvious Wii U blowout, probably release date, no price
- Pikmin 3, NSMB Wii U, Wii U Sports, DQX, and a dozen PS3/360 ports in launch window
- Retro game within 6-8 months of launch
- 1-3 unknown 1st party Wii games shown off
- Pokemon Black and White 2 dated for america
- Paper Mario 3DS dated
- Plethora of 3DS first and third party exclusives, sales figures
- 3DS redesign shown
- Digital distribution explained in detail for Wii U and 3DS
- 3DS/Wii U connectivity shown
- Wii U controller re-designed
- Wii U graphics moderately above PS3/360

Gameboy415

I'm sure this will be an amazing year but here's something I'm hoping for from Nintendo:

-"To tide you over til Wii U is released this fall, here's a bunch of Wii games we didn't bother localizing until now!"

(NPC: Chibi Robo, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Pandora's Tower, Fatal Frame 4, Fatal Frame 2 re-make, etc.)

They only have two Wii games announced for the rest of the year. TWO!
NPC: Pikmin 2 and whatever the Kirby 20th Anniversary game turns out to be.

Hopefully the Fatal Frame 2 re-make will make it over to the US at the very least. :S

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WiiU will be backwards compatible and play all of your Wii games upscaled in HD.

The internet will rejoice, and we won't give a shit about anything else Nintendo offers.

The Ass Creed US trailer is 360 only so I suppose that MS has worked out an exclusive marketing deal.

Expect to see it at their conference.

Duffyside

Banned
I had predicted a couple weeks back that Respawn would show their new game (it seemed, and still seems, like a lock) and that it would be shown on Nintendo's stage for WiiU of all places, as I just think Sony is too stupid these days to make that happen. However, with them saying that they're not showing anything at E3, unless they're pulling a Jaffe, I guess I was wrong on that one (when the hell is this thing going to come out?).

I am totally predicting that Mirror's Edge 2 will be announced and shown. I couldn't say which conference; EA, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all seem like equally likely options, but I would say I'm almost certain this will happen. EA has talked about the game potentially being made a bunch in the past, and then has been silent for the last like 9 months. It seems like something Dice could be working on, as we're not sure where they're spending all their time, and I think if the sequel is going to be made it would be for this gen. I think EA feels slightly burned after the first one (even after its long legs) and I don't think they'd be willing to spend the extra resources giving the franchise another go next gen.

On this note, I wish I could credit the Gaffer who originally said this but I don't remember their name; Mirror's Edge 2 with Tag multiplayer. Just straight-up tag.

... Please?

Nert

I am totally predicting that Mirror's Edge 2 will be announced and shown. I couldn't say which conference; EA, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all seem like equally likely options, but I would say I'm almost certain this will happen. EA has talked about the game potentially being made a bunch in the past, and then has been silent for the last like 9 months. It seems like something Dice could be working on, as we're not sure where they're spending all their time, and I think if the sequel is going to be made it would be for this gen. I think EA feels slightly burned after the first one (even after its long legs) and I don't think they'd be willing to spend the extra resources giving the franchise another go next gen.

On this note, I wish I could credit the Gaffer who originally said this but I don't remember their name; Mirror's Edge 2 with Tag multiplayer. Just straight-up tag.

... Please?

You have no idea how happy that would make me.

FStop7

Banned
Last minute predictions:

Peter Molyneux and Peter Moore will take the stage in hologram form to announce they have merged into a singularity known as P2R Morydeur.

In Madden 13 you will play as the bucket of Gatorade on the sidelines. It is your job to distribute yourself to the players in most need in order to ensure victory. There is also a timed mini game during the playoffs in which you have to pour yourself over the coach's head with pinpoint accuracy.

In their second title you will play as a Skynet-esque AI except rather than nuke humanity it's your job to keep humanity alive. You are connected to all of the world's computer networks and information outlets and you must use them to the fullest in order to distract the President long enough to keep him from using the nuclear launch codes each day.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ah, didn't know we had one of these.

From earlier today in another thread...

It appears that the PS2->PS3 HD collections are basically spent now.

So far SCEA hasn't done squat with its PS2 classics program on PS Store.

The PS Vita still doesn't support PS1 games.

We now have a reasonable expectation that there will be a PS1/PS2 streaming program through Gakai.

And there clearly is a revamped PS+ program coming up.

Sooooo... PS+ will be required for PS1/PS2 game streaming, including lots of games that are obvious candidates for the PS2 classics program but for some reason haven't been added. The service will work on PS3 and PSV, giving the PSV access to PS1 games that people have been clamoring for.

On top of that, PS Vita will get a 3-month (or greater) voucher with each new system to try the PS+ program and game streaming, and this will be in lieu of a price drop or larger bundle at same price.

Did I leave anything out? :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, and I'd expect GTA games to be part of the streaming. That'd be perfect! ;)

Top Bottom