• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmad

Banned
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703502p1.html

Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents teh answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their gams... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," wehich emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I like it. seriously

Genesis
Playstation
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
XBox
Gamecube
Sega Saturn
Gameboy

finally a system that isn't named so fucking seriously/literally.

BRING ON Wii!!!!!!!!!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
:lol :lol :lol

laughing-a.JPG

Ponn

Banned
ahmad said:
Screw you all!!! I am going to play with my Wii!!!

And the schoolyard bullies laugh even harder at you.

Ahhh...can't wait to hear what Drinky has to say on this.

FOR GODS SAKE PEOPLE WATCH THE VIDEO!! ITS PRONOUNCED WE!!

or for that sake of the thread, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Speevy

Banned
I don't get it.

Months of positive hype, a genuine competitive advantage, and they named the thing wii?

If consumers don't even want to say the name of a product, they're not going to buy it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I'm actually laughing out loud thinking of "wee" jokes

Can you wii in the shower?

There is no way they can release a console with that name in Britain!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Graphically it makes a lot of sense.

Should've been the logo in the case. Boy, I'm not looking forward to how middle America will try and say it while at the local Gamestop.

"Do you have the Nintendo Why-Eye-Eye?"

What the dirty?

I can almost see where this is coming from, but, like.... between the impossibility of pronouncing Wii correctly the first time and the pee jokes after you get corrected...

This is pretty clearly fallout from the "Apple proved that the letter i sells hardware!" train of thought, though.

Juice

Wii as in "Wii the fuck would you incite investigation of your entertainment product's necessity in the very name?"

Or

Wii as in "Wii will come together and join hands across Earth, singing koombayah and ignoring the conventions of proper English, as is the custom of our Japanese creators."

Having a product name that can't be deterministically pronounced is ALWAYS a bad idea. I wonder if they're going to call the remotes "I"s. I'd love to see people instruct how to play games. "Well you take your i and then i wiggle my i, no, not my eye, the controller..."

God, I feel like writing a "who's on first" script for it.

I vote no, but I always hate new product names when I hear them. Fuck, I still call Firefox Firebird. Still, I didn't think Nintendo would open themselves up to more hate.

$5 says multiple local news stories don't air because no one can get confirmation on how the system's pronounced in time to run the story.

forensick

Banned
"Wii" think this name is super dumb.

And yeah, it got buried already, but on revolution.nintendo.com it's says it's meant to sound and mean "We" since it's for everybody. The two I's represent the controllers and playing with other people.

7Th

My friend who used to masturbate to Miyamoto's photos just suicided behind me after I called him to read the news.

Nevertheless, the promotional video on the web page looks awesome, reminds me of Pixar's for some reason.

why adv.

For what purpose, reason, or cause; with what intention, justification, or motive: Why is the door shut? Why do birds sing?

conj.

1. The reason, cause, or purpose for which: I know why you left.
2. Usage Problem. On account of which; for which: “The reason why [regular verbs] are called regular is that we can predict what all the other three forms are” (Randolph Quirk).

sealofdoom.png

Marconelly said:
It's probably pronounced Why - I, not Weeee (that would be beyond retarded)

Which gives anti-fans even more laughing ammo of course (I can see comments like: Nintendo, Whyyyy aren't we 3rd party already again!?)

Pronounced akin to "oui" or "we". So yes. "Wee".

HaliKali

Long time reader, first time poster. I just want my first words in (NEO)GAF to be...

What?
Holy mother of Christ!

Well, I think we'll have to live with it..... damn....

Mmmkay

So in 3 years time when they develop a more streamlined and compact revision are they going to call it the 'Wii Wii'?

"I'm going to my firend's house to play with his Wii Wii" :/

SuperPac

I like it. It's not the name of a game system. It's an iconic name like iPod. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the right choice.

(Although I would've loved it if they'd gone with Nintendo Entertainment System instead.)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Wii = Wireless interactive interface

but it's still retard. Right now the Nintendo RS (aka Arse) is looking pretty good right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom